Rumor: Bills trying aggressively to move up for a WR in round one

Logic

4 minutes ago, Gregg said:

This is true but the winner has arguably the greatest TE to ever play the game and a true game changer for Mahomes to rely on. With Diggs in Houston the Bills need a #1 WR to help take the pressure of Kincaid and give Allen another weapon to work with.

I'm barging in here and not even sure about the details you guys have been talking about, but this point about Kelce is something I've been thinking about lately.   Yes, it's true that Kelce is super special, but I think it's important to recognize that he doesn't succeed with physical dominance.   He doesn't have great speed, he isn't a great run after catch guy - he isn't extraordinary at breaking tackles.  His RAC comes from being wide open.   

I'm not sure I'd call Kelce a game changer, altho I won't argue that point.  What he is is an excellent scheme fit. 

Kelce is an excellent tight end with good hands and brains, playing in great scheme with a QB who can execute the scheme.  The important point for this discussion is brains, scheme, and a QB who executes is what makes a great passing game in the current NFL.  

I think, in fact, that receivers are becoming a dime a dozen, just like running backs.   Successful teams don't need a top-five running back, and I think the passing game already has evolved to the point that they don't need a top-five receiver.  I mean, they'll have a guy who is top-five in the stats, but he'll get there by being a scheme fit rather than being a great receiver.   I think that's exactly what we've seen in Kansas City.  And it's what we've seen in LA and Detroit and SF.  

The Bills need a wideout, for sure.  But I no longer think it's important to have the stud you might find in the top of the draft.  There are a lot guys who can become part of an excellent passing attack in Buffalo, probably a half-dozen in the draft, and guys who will be available in September.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Got it. Now I have to think about how many ricochets is it good for! 

lol I’ve fallen victim to the sarcasm ricochet a couple times, no shame, it happens

9 minutes ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

A few draft picks will be sufficient.

This is exactly why we hoard all of those 6th and 7th rounders.  🤷‍♂️

Edited by Augie

Joe B from The Athletic:

7. Buffalo Bills (from Titans*): Rome Odunze, WR, Washington

Titans trade Nos. 7 and 106 to Bills for Nos. 28, 60, 133, 160 and a 2025 first-rounder.

General manager Brandon Beane did his best last week to say he doesn’t think wide receiver is a glaring hole, but with only Khalil Shakir, Curtis Samuel and Mack Hollins as their top three, logic screams otherwise. Beane stressed last week that he wants receivers who are “smart, selfless and versatile,” and that perfectly sums up Odunze, who has the talent to be Josh Allen’s long-term No. 1 receiver. He also has the leadership the Bills covet and the versatility to start at X receiver but play across the formation. Having Minnesota’s potentially early 2025 second-round pick next year helps Beane justify sending away a major asset like their 2025 first-rounder. — Joe Buscaglia

Interesting that Joe B had us moving up to #7 previously for Nabers.  Now it’s Odunze

• Like (+1) 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, finn said:

Wow, just 27% of WRs are signed to a second contract. Does this argue for moving up or NOT moving up? 

No imo

There's a lot more to getting a second contract from the team that drafted you than whether you performed well or not

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, finn said:

Wow, just 27% of WRs are signed to a second contract. Does this argue for moving up or NOT moving up? 

by the drafting team....this tweet implies therefore they are not "hits", but, that may not reflect each player's actual career or contributions

Example: 2000 draft

1st round WR

Peter Warrick (#4) -> played 5 years for Cincy, 1 year FA contract with Seattle

Plaxico Burress (#8) -> played 5 years for Pittsburgh, signed a 6 year $25M contract with NYG, big $$ for that time

Neither signed a 2nd contract with their drafting team, so both aren't "hits" by the criteria of this tweet

But Warrick's best year was 79 catches 819 yds and his FA deal was his last year in the league

Burress had 4 - 1000+ yds seasons and finished his "careerus interruptus" with 8500 yds and 553 receptions

Very different career trajectories

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Well, the Bills D has a built in excuse for their latest failure against the Chiefs in the playoffs. 😁

The fact is the Bills D stopped KC's last 3 drives.  The Bills Offense had 3 chances for a TD.  0 for 3. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

by the drafting team....this tweet implies therefore they are not "hits", but, that may not reflect each player's actual career or contributions

Example: 2000 draft

1st round WR

Peter Warrick (#4) -> played 5 years for Cincy, 1 year FA contract with Seattle

Plaxico Burress (#8) -> played 5 years for Pittsburgh, signed a 6 year $25M contract with NYG, big $$ for that time

Neither signed a 2nd contract with their drafting team, so both aren't "hits" by the criteria of this tweet

But Warrick's best year was 79 catches 819 yds and his FA deal was his last year in the league

Burress had 4 - 1000+ yds seasons and finished his "careerus interruptus" with 8500 yds and 553 receptions

Very different career trajectories

I agree with the thrust of what you're saying, but it might be similar for other positions too outside of QB (that is, no team is letting a good QB get away).

31 minutes ago, Gregg said:

This is true but the winner has arguably the greatest TE to ever play the game and a true game changer for Mahomes to rely on. With Diggs in Houston the Bills need a #1 WR to help take the pressure of Kincaid and give Allen another weapon to work with.

If you could trade for any receiver in the league now, would you trade what it takes to get Odunze or higher?

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Joe B from The Athletic:

Titans trade Nos. 7 and 106 to Bills for Nos. 28, 60, 133, 160 and a 2025 first-rounder.

General manager Brandon Beane did his best last week to say he doesn’t think wide receiver is a glaring hole, but with only Khalil Shakir, Curtis Samuel and Mack Hollins as their top three, logic screams otherwise. Beane stressed last week that he wants receivers who are “smart, selfless and versatile,” and that perfectly sums up Odunze, who has the talent to be Josh Allen’s long-term No. 1 receiver. He also has the leadership the Bills covet and the versatility to start at X receiver but play across the formation. Having Minnesota’s potentially early 2025 second-round pick next year helps Beane justify sending away a major asset like their 2025 first-rounder. — Joe Buscaglia

Interesting that Joe B had us moving up to #7 previously for Nabers.  Now it’s Odunze

I don’t know how all the points work out and all that stuff, but it makes me feel a little better that the Viking’s 2nd rounder shouldn’t be that much lower than the 1st we’d lose. I hate giving up the future, but that would take some of the sting out of it. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Joe B from The Athletic:

Gave up 60 … you would hate it ..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Joe B from The Athletic:

I think he probably thought about it and realized Nabers falling to 7 is unrealistic. It would require 4 QB's going in the Top 5 plus another team taking a player than the highest rated player on the board at a position of need for them. I would be shocked if either Harrison or Nabers were on the board at 7. Between Arizona, Los Angeles, and New York - at least 2 of those teams are going to take WR or trade out to someone who will. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I agree with the thrust of what you're saying, but it might be similar for other positions too outside of QB (that is, no team is letting a good QB get away).

It absolutely is.  My initial example in my response to the tweet was Tremaine Edmunds, who started 82 games in 5 seasons for the Bills.

He didn't not get a 2nd contract from the Bills.  He had his detractors on TBD, but he didn't get signed to a 4 year, $72M contract with $50M guaranteed from the Bears because league-wide GMs thought he wasn't a "hit" as a draft pick.  To the contrary, he was regarded well enough that he priced the Bills out of his market.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Joe B from The Athletic:

that whole athletic mock draft was kind of unrealistic.

If they do anything like this for a WR he had better be among the leagues top wr in year one.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

The fact is the Bills D stopped KC's last 3 drives.  The Bills Offense had 3 chances for a TD.  0 for 3. 

Other than the end of game drive, last 3 drives were a TD, a fumble, and a punt.

So, No.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

No we didnt

KC-Bills D gave O 3 chances to win

12:53BUF 320:44231Fumble

10:45KC 432:2258Punt

1:43KC 341:4358Game

Bills offense 0-3

14:20BUF 251:2747Downs

12:09BUF 201:243-2Punt

8:23BUF 206:401654FG Miss

It's funny to read such strong opinions on which WRs are gonna make it after we went over the JA thread form 6 years ago. 

Xavier Worthy, WR, Texas

The buzz surrounding Worthy exploded after he broke the NFL Combine's 40-yard dash record in 2024, blazing a 4.21-second time to break the record set by John Ross in 2017 by 0.01 seconds.

Worthy dominated the rest of the NFL Combine, as well, posting a 41-inch vertical jump and a 10-11 broad jump to establish himself as one of the most athletic receivers in the 2024 NFL Draft class. That pushed him into first-round consideration given that he was productive during his career at Texas.

What's the issue with Worthy? He's small. It's not so much the 5-11 frame that could be a problem, but he weighed in at just 160 pounds for the 2024 NFL Combine. Maintaining that playing weight would make him one of the lightest players in the NFL and could cause him to become injury-prone if he doesn't bulk up.

Worthy played in 39 games during his three seasons with the Longhorns, so some will point to DeVonta Smith's success at 6-0, 170 pounds as a reason the Texas product could end up OK. Others can look to Hollywood Brown (5-9, 180 pounds) and his history of nagging injuries as a reason Worthy could struggle to make a consistent impact in the NFL.

Perhaps the best comparison for Worthy is Tank Dell, as noted by NFL.com's Lance Zierlein. The Texans' playmaker (5-10, 165 pounds) enjoyed an excellent rookie season, making 47 catches for 709 yards and seven touchdowns in 11 games, but he missed six games with a fractured fibula.

That serves as a cautionary tale for the team that drafts Worthy. He could develop into a true No. 1 receiver and speed demon at the next level, but his size makes his durability a question mark. As the cliché goes, the best ability in the NFL is availability.

Edited by nedboy7

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Bills offense 0-3

Lol how does giving up the game sealing drive give you a chance to win

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

If they do anything like this for a WR he had better be among the leagues top wr in year one.

Agree…he would need to be Justin Jefferson right out of the box.

• Disagree 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Lol how does giving up the game sealing drive give you a chance to win

my larger point if that the Offense had 3 chances to win the game and choked 3 times.  The D made a couple stops when it mattered.

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Bills offense 0-3

image.thumb.jpeg.e248c056808fb697abed0f33830f2825.jpeg

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm barging in here and not even sure about the details you guys have been talking about, but this point about Kelce is something I've been thinking about lately.   Yes, it's true that Kelce is super special, but I think it's important to recognize that he doesn't succeed with physical dominance.   He doesn't have great speed, he isn't a great run after catch guy - he isn't extraordinary at breaking tackles.  His RAC comes from being wide open.   

I'm not sure I'd call Kelce a game changer, altho I won't argue that point.  What he is is an excellent scheme fit. 

Kelce is an excellent tight end with good hands and brains, playing in great scheme with a QB who can execute the scheme.  The important point for this discussion is brains, scheme, and a QB who executes is what makes a great passing game in the current NFL.  

I think, in fact, that receivers are becoming a dime a dozen, just like running backs.   Successful teams don't need a top-five running back, and I think the passing game already has evolved to the point that they don't need a top-five receiver.  I mean, they'll have a guy who is top-five in the stats, but he'll get there by being a scheme fit rather than being a great receiver.   I think that's exactly what we've seen in Kansas City.  And it's what we've seen in LA and Detroit and SF.  

The Bills need a wideout, for sure.  But I no longer think it's important to have the stud you might find in the top of the draft.  There are a lot guys who can become part of an excellent passing attack in Buffalo, probably a half-dozen in the draft, and guys who will be available in September.  

Thank you and spot on!  If they feel Franklin is the right guy forJosh and this system, then so be it.  Stay at 28, get him and move on.

5 minutes ago, julian said:

image.thumb.jpeg.e248c056808fb697abed0f33830f2825.jpeg

That’s so ***** bad. Damn near impossible to win when your D is that bad. For a guy that says “we gotta win the turnover battle” every time Josh throws an INT, his D sure the ***** ain’t making that easy. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BananaB said:

That’s so ***** bad. Damn near impossible to win when your D is that bad. For a guy that says “we gotta win the turnover battle” every time Josh throws an INT, his D sure the ***** ain’t making that easy. 

Throw some more money and high picks at it.  I'm sure it'll be different this time.   

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Bills offense 0-3

The defense got lucky one time, on the Hardman fumble which was at the goal line. If they score there, it would have iced the game. It was a mistske by Hardman and the ball actuallybounced in our favor for once. We forced a single punt. We couldn't stop them on their last possession as they simply ran out the clock. The defense sucked that game and generally couldn't stop a nose bleed. The only reason it was close is because we had a 14 minute edge in time of possession. Everything we did was methodical. Diggs whiffs on a bomb, defender pushes Dawkins into Josh's legs, and Bass misses a kick. Story of the Bills. But the defense didn't save us by any means. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

You've been banging that "WR don't really matter, teams don't need a top 5 WR, receivers are a dime a dozen" drum in several threads now.

Counterpoint:  I don't know about "top 5 WR" that seems arbitrary.  But here's some evidence about how the teams you cite think about that "they'll have a guy who's top 5 in the stats but he'll get there by being a scheme fit rather than a great receiver" philosophy.  TL;DR they're voting with their $$ on that.

1) Detroit just signed their  #1, 119 reception, 1515 yd wide receiver Amon Ra St Brown to a 4 year, $120M contract with $77M guaranteed.   Why would they do that, if receivers are becoming a dime a dozen and successful teams don't need a top WR, just a "scheme fit"?

2) I don't think Deebo Samuel was signed to a 3 year , $71,550,000 contract with the San Francisco 49ers, including $24,035,000 signing bonus, $58,100,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $23,850,000 because the '49ers thought he was "just a scheme fit" where WR are a "dime a dozen"

And Christian McCaffrey's a unicorn - part receiver, part running back, and 100% perfect for the Niners, but that team didn't trade away the core of their 2023 draft board (2nd, 3rd, 4th plus 2024 5th), but either way, SF didn't give up that much with the right to pay him $14M this season on top of it because they thought Christian McCaffery was a "dime a dozen" as either a receiver or an RB

3) LA Rams signed Kupp to a 3 year, $80M extension in 2022 of which $75M were guaranteed because they view WR as a "dime a dozen" after his 145 reception, 1947 yd season.  They appear to have lucked out with Puka Nacua, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that league-wide talent evaluators weren't saying "see, any old WR could succeed in that system" (if that were true, what stopped 2nd round pick Van Jefferson? What stopped 2nd round pick Tutu Atwell?  

It's a nice hypothesis but it doesn't seem to stack up against how the teams you mentioned are actually spending their $$.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

No imo

There's a lot more to getting a second contract from the team that drafted you than whether you performed well or not

I agree.  For a 4th round pick, I’d say Gabe Davis generally was worth that pick or better, for the four years he was with us.  But when time was up, another team was able and willing to pay him more for his services than the Bills.  WRs are getting paid big-time in the league right now.

Plus, it’s also possible more WRs are out of the league after a few years than OL, given speed is a bigger part of a WR’s game while things like strength are bigger part of an O-lineman’s game.  This would mean teams should be drafting WRs more regularly, and not necessarily re-signing them.

9 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Throw some more money and high picks at it.  I'm sure it'll be different this time.   

High D draft picks by this regime struggle to crack McDs starting lineup

Just now, BananaB said:

High D draft picks by this regime struggle to crack McDs starting lineup

That’s because he rotates everyone like hockey lines. He’s an idiot 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, H2o said:

The defense got lucky one time, on the Hardman fumble which was at the goal line. If they score there, it would have iced the game. It was a mistske by Hardman and the ball actuallybounced in our favor for once. We forced a single punt. We couldn't stop them on their last possession as they simply ran out the clock. The defense sucked that game and generally couldn't stop a nose bleed. The only reason it was close is because we had a 14 minute edge in time of possession. Everything we did was methodical. Diggs whiffs on a bomb, defender pushes Dawkins into Josh's legs, and Bass misses a kick. Story of the Bills. But the defense didn't save us by any means. 

Almost 8 yards per play vs just over 4 yards per play.  Not really very close.

39 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Agreed on both points.

In 2018, I will say this, though:
Buscaglia called the Bills drafting Josh Allen, although he called them as trading up to #5 with Denver vs #7, and giving up 2019 1st rounder as well as 2018 2nd round, and drafting Allen #5.  And we have heard from Beane that they had a tentative deal fleshed out with Denver which Denver backed out of because "their guy" was on the board.

The thing is, when the Bills traded up in 2018 you could read the tea leaves that they were "QB or Bust".  Dealing Cordy Glenn to trade up in the 1st round, etc.

Where we are, wanting a team to trade all the way back to #28, is a hard sell, whatever Beane might or might not like to do.

PS on the other hand, in 2018 Charlie Campbell had the Bills trading up to #7 and drafting a safety, Derwin James.  Nothing against James, he's a fine safety but for the draft resources :sick:

Edited by Beck Water

37 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

If you could trade for any receiver in the league now, would you trade what it takes to get Odunze or higher?

Part of the appeal of Odunze is the rookie contract with a fifth-year option. The price folks are throwing out there to acquire him is plausibly accurate. It's a little rich for my taste. I'd rather hold onto 60 since we were Goodelled out of a 3rd rounder. A trade for the best established WR includes a hefty contract, or the need for one to retain the fella. So I wouldn't pay as much as I would for Odunze, even if you argue the established WR is a known commodity and Odunze involves some risk.

👀👀👀👀👀

I agree! His twitchtness is unbelievable,  phenomenal hands and route running.  A TD maker as Beane likes to say and as I said,  he's so twitchy making life miserable for DBs..

Some insight into why they moved on from Diggs imo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

Just now, JerseyBills said:

👀👀👀👀👀

I agree! His twitchtness is unbelievable,  phenomenal hands and route running.  A TD maker as Beane likes to say and as I said,  he's so twitchy making life miserable for DBs..

It’s not real.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

👀👀👀👀👀

Fail.  NOT the real Adam S