OJ Simpson dead at 76

Bigvinny

if any good can come from this thread and death it is to encourage men to get their prostate checkups as recommended by your Dr.

As far as cancers go I am told this one is very treatable if caught early.  

**** Cancer

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, muppy said:

if any good can come from this thread and death it is to encourage men to get their prostate checkups as recommended by your Dr.

**** Cancer

But how was OJ to ever expect his own body to kill him, he's the last person anyone would ever suspect.....

2 hours ago, Sweats said:

Think of him what you will, but the legal system found him innocent. That's not to say the legal system is not broken, however, he was judged by a jury of his peers and was found not guilty......i, however, think he's guilty as hell, but i was not on the jury panel, i only heard what the media expressed for the trial and did not have to make the decision of innocent or guilty. 

Now, OJ may have been found innocent in the eyes of the law, but he was definitely found guilty in public opinion. 

Then, there was the Civil suit. Families did not collect much. It will now become a hot topic for them again.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, muppy said:

**** Cancer

This is great advice. As horrible as it is to get sodomized by the urologist, it can save your life. 

On my last visit I asked the urologist if we were dating. :( 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

This is great advice. As horrible as it is to get sodomized by the urologist, it can save your life. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Gregg said:

That was a nice left/one handed catch by Joe Namath during warm-ups!!!

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

😆 

My father @ the VA turned around and asked the doctor if he should kiss him. They threatened to send him to the psych ward.  😆... Ah the good ole days! Try that humor today and one may take you up on the offer! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

https://defector.com/o-j-simpson-was-always-more-than-polarizing

By Ray Ratto

. . . . That's where Simpson lives in America's head, as the obviously guilty man who was acquitted, the celebrity of celebrities whose lawyers made names for themselves by dismantling the Los Angeles police and legal establishment. He blew our own views of the legal system to smithereens and reminded any Americans who thought otherwise that race remains the foundation upon which all other things in this country are laid.

And then, because that wasn't sufficient, he capitalized on all of it for the final decades of his life, the embodiment of bulletproof celebrity, police incompetence and/or racism, a finger in the country's eye and a punchline all at once. We shed him of his surname so that he could become just plain O.J., The Guy Who Got Away With It.

He is among the most influential Americans of the last 75 years (we aren't getting into a quibble over Franklin Roosevelt or Steve Jobs) because of all of it. The football star with the warming smile and the electric running style who transformed into a game analyst and then a comedic movie star, and then in one night the avatar for all the unattended sins in our nation's subconscious.

Mostly, he laughed at us for our anger, and wore the overcoat of celebrity villainy with the same seeming ease that he had the cloak of national hero. He became the mirror for our sublimated cultural and political pathologies, and even if we didn't reference him in everyday conversations like we once did, he'd still pop up on this podcast or that from time to time to remind us who he was and what happened. He all but said why in a book entitled If I Did It, and owned the entire bizarre whirlwind of his work as though the new goal of his life was to agitate the nation. At that point nothing could come as a surprise, including spending nine years in prison after being convicted of armed robbery and kidnapping in Las Vegas over sports memorabilia he claimed was his own.

He even framed how we go about handling celebrities' passages through the spotlight. Now no one exists as an unqualified hero in the way O.J. did before the trial, no matter how hard their handlers try. O.J. taught us things about ourselves we didn't want to know and yet now embrace because we can't pretend any longer. This is O.J. Simpson's legacy as the Most Outsized American Ever, whether we are willing to own it or not.

12 hours ago, Dr. K said:

https://defector.com/o-j-simpson-was-always-more-than-polarizing

By Ray Ratto

. . . . That's where Simpson lives in America's head, as the obviously guilty man who was acquitted, the celebrity of celebrities whose lawyers made names for themselves by dismantling the Los Angeles police and legal establishment. He blew our own views of the legal system to smithereens and reminded any Americans who thought otherwise that race remains the foundation upon which all other things in this country are laid.

And then, because that wasn't sufficient, he capitalized on all of it for the final decades of his life, the embodiment of bulletproof celebrity, police incompetence and/or racism, a finger in the country's eye and a punchline all at once. We shed him of his surname so that he could become just plain O.J., The Guy Who Got Away With It.

He is among the most influential Americans of the last 75 years (we aren't getting into a quibble over Franklin Roosevelt or Steve Jobs) because of all of it. The football star with the warming smile and the electric running style who transformed into a game analyst and then a comedic movie star, and then in one night the avatar for all the unattended sins in our nation's subconscious.

Mostly, he laughed at us for our anger, and wore the overcoat of celebrity villainy with the same seeming ease that he had the cloak of national hero. He became the mirror for our sublimated cultural and political pathologies, and even if we didn't reference him in everyday conversations like we once did, he'd still pop up on this podcast or that from time to time to remind us who he was and what happened. He all but said why in a book entitled If I Did It, and owned the entire bizarre whirlwind of his work as though the new goal of his life was to agitate the nation. At that point nothing could come as a surprise, including spending nine years in prison after being convicted of armed robbery and kidnapping in Las Vegas over sports memorabilia he claimed was his own.

He even framed how we go about handling celebrities' passages through the spotlight. Now no one exists as an unqualified hero in the way O.J. did before the trial, no matter how hard their handlers try. O.J. taught us things about ourselves we didn't want to know and yet now embrace because we can't pretend any longer. This is O.J. Simpson's legacy as the Most Outsized American Ever, whether we are willing to own it or not.

On 4/11/2024 at 8:49 AM, boyst said:

Unlike criminal juries, which can find a defendant guilty only if the evidence is “beyond a reasonable doubt,” the standard for civil juries is a “preponderance of the evidence” – meaning that it is more likely than not that the plaintiff's claims have been proven to be true.

from like the gov, 'n stuff.

you got that one right yes.  

now look up “jury nullification”

get back to us

24 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

you got that one right yes.  

now look up “jury nullification”

get back to us

So that's like double secret probation? Something that didn't happen? He was found not guilty, I didn't know there had to be stipulations on that.... But then again I haven't read the Bill of Rights in a long time nor the Constitution and what it limits the government to do ... Oh well have a great weekend

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, muppy said:

**** Cancer

How about just being citizens respecting life and the law?

During the machinations of OJ's criminal trial, I was dating a wildly inappropriate woman -- which tracks, because at the time I was also wildly inappropriate.  Everybody hated everybody so there was parity.

I happened to snark on dinner night (one night, with her family) that OJ would have his charges reduced to a noisy muffler infraction, and a short time later, there we were.  I was wrong in premise, but I was also right that literally zero would happen to him in that criminal trial.

The judge was an attention seeker, the lead detective an avowed racist, the assistant DA a (former?) stripper (that was real, right?), Kato, useless witnesses, a circus of a trial, a glove did not fit, and jeez, like so many others I came to understand that OJ had literally gotten away with not one, but two -- TWO! -- murders.

• Haha (+1) 1

OJ is a very complex legacy. He was unquestionably a great football player. Heisman trophy winner in college, number one overall pick and a Hall of Fame pro career with an insane 2K rushing yards season in just 14 games.  

Prior to his murder trial he was kind of a Trailblazer in terms of being a black man accepted as a corporate spokesperson for mass market “white” products.

But all of that was completely undone by his murder trial in which while he was acquitted largely to a great defense team and a botched prosecution and police investigation. But the evidence largely points to him having done it and he was convicted both in civil court and in the court of public opinion.

Then he ended up in jail for an armed robbery before spending the last years of his life giving fantasy football advice on Twitter. Just an odd place where his life ended up. He could have very easily lived a great life but in his late 40’s it got completely turned upside down. 

Then there’s also the CTE issues and other questions. But for now his life is over and he’s remembered for what he is.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

OJ is a very complex legacy. He was unquestionably a great football player. Heisman trophy winner in college, number one overall pick and a Hall of Fame pro career with an insane 2K rushing yards season in just 14 games.  

Prior to his murder trial he was kind of a Trailblazer in terms of being a black man accepted as a corporate spokesperson for mass market “white” products.

But all of that was completely undone by his murder trial in which while he was acquitted largely to a great defense team and a botched prosecution and police investigation. But the evidence largely points to him having done it and he was convicted both in civil court and in the court of public opinion.

Then he ended up in jail for an armed robbery before spending the last years of his life giving fantasy football advice on Twitter. Just an odd place where his life ended up. He could have very easily lived a great life but in his late 40’s it got completely turned upside down. 

Then there’s also the CTE issues and other questions. But for now his life is over and he’s remembered for what he is.

I’m watching the 30 for 30: OJ made in America, right now. You touch upon many of the issues the documentary brings up. I keep wondering what happened psychologically between college and retirement from NFL. Could be CTE, could be death of his daughter, divorce, infidelity, fame, or all of the above. His son Jason has mental illness and I wonder if OJ also had it too. We will never know. Just heartbreaking that the young man you see in the beginning of the documentary isn’t the same person you see towards the end. I’ve heard it said you become the best or worst version of yourself as you age. So tragic because he became the worst version. He also talked about himself in 3rd person most of the time (red flag).

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

True but I’ll add he was acquitted because the jury feared massive riots and destruction if they found him guilty. 

1 minute ago, AlfaBill said:

True but I’ll add he was acquitted because the jury feared massive riots and destruction if they found him guilty. 

Hmmmm….got any evidence for this??

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

Perhaps , but at least one juror has stated that the jury thought he was guilty but they went with the not guilty verdict to punish the LAPD for the Rodney King beating. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, AlfaBill said:

I think a juror (who was a black woman) said in an interview after the trial that she said she rendered an innocent verdict as revenge for the Rodney King beating. 

• Like (+1) 1

I worked at NBC for decades. Lots of rememberences on the NBC retiree FB page about OJ this week. The general consensus was he was very liked by crew and production in the 80s. He live big and generally treated people well. Several though have mentioned he could be a different person outside the workplace. Some funny stories about his antics on the road with Ahmad Rashad and the Production folks.  But also, etc instances of berating Maitre D's and Valets. 2 people who would be in a postiion to know said they say him being pretty nasty to his wife at times: shoving her into a limo, yelling at her on phone, losing his temper etc late 80s and early 90s. I never really dealt with him myself but trust the word of the guys who mentione this.

I worked 4P-12M shift the night of the Bronco Chase . NBA Finals Game 5 was at Garden. Fascinating being in that control room. NBC had the NBA, Ebersol was all over the place talking to the News Specials Unit. News and Sports were fighting it out had no idea what to do, so they went with a split screen of the game and chase. Was so Jarring for the NBC people who knew OJ. a real WTF moment.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

I worked at NBC for decades. Lots of rememberences on the NBC retiree FB page about OJ this week. The general consensus was he was very liked by crew and production in the 80s. He live big and generally treated people well. Several though have mentioned he could be a different person outside the workplace. Some funny stories about his antics on the road with Ahmad Rashad and the Production folks.  But also, etc instances of berating Maitre D's and Valets. 2 people who would be in a postiion to know said they say him being pretty nasty to his wife at times: shoving her into a limo, yelling at her on phone, losing his temper etc late 80s and early 90s. I never really dealt with him myself but trust the word of the guys who mentione this.

I worked 4P-12M shift the night of the Bronco Chase . NBA Finals Game 5 was at Garden. Fascinating being in that control room. NBC had the NBA, Ebersol was all over the place talking to the News Specials Unit. News and Sports were fighting it out had no idea what to do, so they went with a split screen of the game and chase. Was so Jarring for the NBC people who knew OJ. a real WTF moment.

That has to be an insane life memory.  Have you ever watched the 30 for 30 on that night?  Thought they did a good job bringing all those things together.  That will always be an Infamous day in American history. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

That has to be an insane life memory.  Have you ever watched the 30 for 30 on that night?  Thought they did a good job bringing all those things together.  That will always be an Infamous day in American history. 

Have not, but this week has raised my interest level. Will most definitely watch it. All this weeks discussion has triggered a lot of memories of that entire evening. Chaos in the control room. Some wild conversation and as always...a few laughs. TV talk.

Edited by Olliemets
phrasing
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, TheCockSportif said:

During the machinations of OJ's criminal trial, I was dating a wildly inappropriate woman -- which tracks, because at the time I was also wildly inappropriate.  Everybody hated everybody so there was parity.

I happened to snark on dinner night (one night, with her family) that OJ would have his charges reduced to a noisy muffler infraction, and a short time later, there we were.  I was wrong in premise, but I was also right that literally zero would happen to him in that criminal trial.

The judge was an attention seeker, the lead detective an avowed racist, the assistant DA a (former?) stripper (that was real, right?), Kato, useless witnesses, a circus of a trial, a glove did not fit, and jeez, like so many others I came to understand that OJ had literally gotten away with not one, but two -- TWO! -- murders.

You can’t leave out the jury. That group is fascinating to me. Wonder if any of them have commented on his death. 

If a juror admitted that their judgement was based on anything other than their unbiased understanding of the evidence presented, they are committing a felony. This isn’t Nam. 

Again, I actually think he didn’t do it, but I think he knew exactly what happened. 

Edited by Thrivefourfive
  • Like (+1) 1

Just another little weird distant connection I have is that as a kid and then a young adult, I’d attend the LA Open at Riviera Country Club every single year from the late 80s until forever. Where was our cheap parking spot..? Right in front of the Rockingham house. We always called it “park at OJ’s.” As a kid, not realizing that the $20 to park at Paul Revere Middle School (where OJ’s kids attended, and where he famously went to their stage performance the night of the murders, I think) was way worth the money and time it took to walk to the tourney entrance, I always loved that I knew where Buffalo Bill great OJ Simpson lived. 

Then the crime happened. The drive we take from the 10 fwy to the golf course goes right by Nicole’s condo and OJ’s mansion. Go freaking figure. 

• Shocked 1