OJ Simpson dead at 76

Bigvinny

6 hours ago, Mango said:

What a shame. So unfortunate he could never find the real killer. 

I heard they took all the mirrors out of his house.

edit: interesting not a single mention on Buffalobills.com or the app.

Edited by davefan66

I may have shared this story before, but it seems appropriate to do here again now.

I am the Director of Tourism for a major hotel in Niagara Falls, Ontario. In the early 2000s, OJ stayed with us for a couple of weeks.

It was in the timeframe after the “Trial of the Century,” but before the sports paraphernalia trial, that would eventually send him to prison.

We had a lobby bar and OJ would come down every morning and hold court for a couple of hours.

Now I have seen countless numbers of celebrities at the hotel in my 23 years of service. Almost all of them wear hats and sunglasses and keep moving to avoid unnecessary interaction with the public.

OJ, on the other hand, would come down each morning and do what can only be described as preening. He would strut up and down the lobby to make sure that as many people as possible saw him. 

Then he would sit at a prominent table and converse with, and sign autographs for, anyone that dropped in. If people had nothing to sign, he would sign a cocktail napkin.

I also found that he was polarizing with the guests of the hotel. Half were delighted to see him and half were disgusted that we would even allow him to stay there.

Not sure what that says about him, but I can tell you that it is unique in all of the celebrities that I have encountered. 

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

"David Cook, who represents Ron’s father, Fred Goldman, said that the judgment in the case has now risen to $114 million due to interest.

As of February 2021, Simpson had only paid around $133,000 of the settlement, according to KNTV, which cited a Nevada court filing."

Fred Goldman. :lol:

5 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I may have shared this story before, but it seems appropriate to do here again now.

I am the Director of Tourism for a major hotel in Niagara Falls, Ontario. In the early 2000s, OJ stayed with us for a couple of weeks.

It was in the timeframe after the “Trial of the Century,” but before the sports paraphernalia trial, that would eventually send him to prison.

We had a lobby bar and OJ would come down every morning and hold court for a couple of hours.

Now I have seen countless numbers of celebrities at the hotel in my 23 years of service. Almost all of them wear hats and sunglasses and keep moving to avoid unnecessary interaction with the public.

OJ, on the other hand, would come down each morning and do what can only be described as preening. He would strut up and down the lobby to make sure that as many people as possible saw him. 

Then he would sit at a prominent table and converse with, and sign autographs for, anyone that dropped in. If people had nothing to sign, he would sign a cocktail napkin.

I also found that he was polarizing with the guest of the hotel. Half were delighted to see him and half were disgusted that we would even allow him to stay there.

Not sure what that says about him, but I can tell you that it is unique in all of the celebrities that I have encountered. 

Not to derail things, but it makes me think of Pete Rose. Incredible career. Gets disgraced, then wants to be loved again. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I do still find it amusing that he made that book and because he'd lost the civil case he then lost control of the rights to it and they then changed the cover to this.

61APIeH8ihL._SY425_.jpg

I read that in one sitting at Barnes. Still did not answer that crime for me. I need to go back and read the counter arguments for his son, Jason, doing it. The insight FOR was really good. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Not to derail things, but it makes me think of Pete Rose. Incredible career. Gets disgraced, then wants to be loved again. 

No comparison.

99% of baseball fans love Pete a feel he should be in the HOF.

OJ never truly acted like an innocent man in any way, besides empty words. He absolutely did it, and I think he spent the rest of his life trying to convince the world, and himself, that he didn't. 

I’m almost 55. OJ Simpson was the first sports name I ever knew.  I became a Bills fan before I became a sports fan, because my dad watched football on Sundays and I wanted to be with him.  Just watch number 32, he’d say.  That’s OJ.  I bet a lot of you around my age will say the same. 

I was a first-year law student at UB when the verdict was announced.  It happened during our Criminal Law class, ironically enough.  And I feel pretty safe in saying that the reaction was a lot more mixed there than it was in any other 1L crim law class in the country that day, only because a good many of us - it’s still a very local school - had grown up with him as our first sports hero.  And though deep down we all knew he was guilty, we also desperately wanted that not to be true - but we wouldn’t admit that to anyone who wasn’t one of us. 

As the years have gone by, of course, I’ve only become more convinced of his guilt, and come to terms with it.  So when I heard the news of his death, I felt…pretty much nothing.  The OJ I idolized as a child died for me 30 years ago.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I was a big OJ fan growing up. We moved out of Buffalo around the time he started playing for the Bills & he was the main reason any Buffalo games were shown nationwide, which was my only chance to watch Bills.

Growing up a big sports fan, my childhood heroes (other than my dad) were athletes & many also turned out to be great people, like Lou Brock (St Louis Cardinals), the Selmon Brothers (Oklahoma football), etc.,  However, not all of my childhood heroes were worth idolizing and some are now not worth remembering….OJ tops that list for me. In the end, my only wish for OJ was for a deathbed confession, but that apparently didn’t happen, or his family will never share it.  

18 minutes ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

Does this mean it's acceptable to wear an OJ jersey again?

I have seen a  #32 jersey in Orchard Park at a game. I have a friend who told me once she would have no problem "embracing" him if she were to ever meet him...I told her I would about face turn away. ZERO desire to talk, interact, meet Nothing. The thought is moot now.

Court-TV has a retrospective of the case including graphic photos if anyone is interested. Lord have mercy. I didn't need to see that.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I highly recommend people give this Documentary a full watch and then come back and give your opinions on what a great guy OJ was

image.png.8ea3ee56f8882b007b8a72cf88add9ca.png

This was a good documentary. Very well done imo

• Agree 1

Think of him what you will, but the legal system found him innocent. That's not to say the legal system is not broken, however, he was judged by a jury of his peers and was found not guilty......i, however, think he's guilty as hell, but i was not on the jury panel, i only heard what the media expressed for the trial and did not have to make the decision of innocent or guilty. 

Now, OJ may have been found innocent in the eyes of the law, but he was definitely found guilty in public opinion. 

O.J. Simpson’s legacy rang loudest where his death created silence (yahoo.com)

If you're the Buffalo Bills or San Francisco 49ers, the two teams Simpson played for during his NFL career, you say ... nothing. As of Thursday evening, neither team has released a single statement or posted anything on their website acknowledging Simpson.

2 hours ago, Pirate Angel said:

waiting on the autopsy to confirm CTE and possible outcomes to the sport as a result.

Nothing will happen to the sport. 

We already have overwhelming evidence that CTE effects impulse control, mood, and behavior.  Hell, we already have a confirmed killer (Aaron Hernandez) with CTE and it's changed very little. 

I love football, I have no regrets playing it, I don't want my kid playing it though.