Could Dawson Knox be more of a gadget guy?

akcash

Maybe he could be kind of like the TE version of what Cordarrelle Patterson?

I’d like to see if Joe can find more creative ways to get the ball in Knox’s hands so he can  show some of that RAC ability and power. 

I think the way to do that is line him up in the backfield more. He’d be an effective weapon catching passes out of the backfield and this is just my opinion, but I would like to see what he could do with some traditional carries.

Not saying he wouldn’t still be a top 2 inline tight end for the most part as I think he’s one of the better blocking tight ends in the league. 

To me it seems he just has a lot of wasted movement in his routes and I think it’s easy for DBs to cover.  On the flip-side though he has  so much playmaking ability with ball in his hands.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

I see Dawson as potential trade bait to get our #1 WR in this years draft.

I can’t imagine Josh signing off on that.  They are genuine bffs

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

Dalton is the Ace in the hole, and Dawson is truly just a face card on the table at this time.  Beane is playing poker right now with the entire deck of cards at his disposal this year.  Knox for damn sure is possible trade bait this year in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, akcash said:

I’d like to see if Joe can find more creative ways to get the ball in Knox’s hands so he can  show some of that RAC ability and power. 

image.thumb.png.ec130c1e93cb184bb8fb1ead6bbf3118.png

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Knox is big, fast and strong. He doesn’t have the best hands, doesn’t run the best routes, & doesn’t block well enough to be a Lee Smith type (nor is that what he’s being paid to do). He already took a discount to stay, so he’ll be TE2. I wonder if he could assume the Reggie Gilliam HB role in addition to playing in two set TEs which would make Gilliam expendable. 

• Like (+1) 3

Knox is not a gadget player, but I could see him being the "forgotten" man in the passing attack and slipping out with a lot of field

in front of him.  That's how I would design some plays.  A healthy season could net him 7 TDs.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Knox is a solid TE and a great partner to have with Kincaid, all the people wanting to get rid of him make no sense to me.

I don’t know if people “want” to get rid of him, but like it was said earlier, Beane is using the whole toolbox to upgrade the roster and Kincaid makes it easier to move on from Knox. Just the reality of having and paying JA. 

Dawson is overpaid for sure and that is the biggest issue with his spot on the roster. But he protects Kincaid and kind of allows Kincaid to be more of the finesse slot receiver as Knox can handle some of the dirty work. They already paid him and I think he is here the next two years because of the dead cap. But I haven’t moved on yet. For so many years we have been searching for tight ends and now we have two. I’m clinging hard to those guys. I do think we are at our best in 12 personnel, so I think he still has a role. 

Kincaid can't block anyone.  Not sure why people think he is TE #1.  Sadly Knox has not developed into the receiving threat of an elite TE, so Brady will need to figure out a way to use them both.  

Knox is not going anywhere after taking a pay cut.  If Beane pulled that stunt he destroys his reputation in the locker room and with the agents.

They have been and always will be different positions on the team. 

In fact when his contract is up Kincaid will argue like other flex TE's have that he should be paid more in line like a WR and not a TE.  

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, akcash said:

Maybe he could be kind of like the TE version of what Cordarrelle Patterson?

I think the way to do that is line him up in the backfield more. He’d be an effective weapon catching passes out of the backfield and this is just my opinion, but I would like to see what he could do with some traditional carries.

Not saying he wouldn’t still be a top 2 inline tight end for the most part as I think he’s one of the better blocking tight ends in the league. 

To me it seems he just has a lot of wasted movement in his routes and I think it’s easy for DBs to cover.  On the flip-side though he has  so much playmaking ability with ball in his hands.

I’ve been thinking along the same lines. Line him up in traditional FB spot.  Lead blocker on running plays, move to the line in 12 personnel, slot, whatever.  Could lead to some interesting formations.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

That would not surprise me, but he is a good blocking TE who can catch a pass most times, and believe it or not is a valuable member of the team, 

8 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Knox is a solid TE and a great partner to have with Kincaid, all the people wanting to get rid of him make no sense to me.

I don't want to get rid of him...just his contract.   Probably the biggest overpay of Beane's tenure in Buffalo.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Unfortunately Knox is a chronic ball dropper with the worst contract on the team:

Mar 11 2021-

“Knox and the Bills have agreed to a restructured contract that lowers his scheduled $14.4 million cap hit for 2024, Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com reports.

The tight end is entering the second season of a four-year, $52 million extension that guarantees most of his money through 2024 but none thereafter. It's possible this agreement changes that, but if not, Knox's future with the team could come into question next offseason. His fantasy value has taken a big hit since the Bills drafted fellow tight end Dalton Kincaid in the first round of the 2023 NFL Draft.”

This is one for which Bean deserves distain. Terrible contract for a middling player. Talk about being in love with a draft pick. Dawson has had some amazing moments but for every great catch there is a drop at the worst time. The 12 man personnel should be back with two tight ends. After getting only 22 for 186 yards in 15 games, it is hard to see him catching a ton of balls. In 2025 he will be likely gone, playing for much much less elsewhere. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

11 hours ago, akcash said:

I never thought of that but I could see that too.

I think you both don't see this.

Knox has a cap hit this season of $7.728M, created by taking a salary cut and converting some of his salary to bonus, in exchange for a fully guaranteed salary this year, some guaranteed salary next year, and incentives.

If he's traded before the draft and the trade partner picks up 100% of this year's guaranteed salary, his dead cap hit is something like $17.54M (the $24.45M Spotrac shows minus his salary guarantees)

The Bills currently have an estimated cap space of $4.2M, so they'd have to free up like $13.3M of cap space to make this happen

I can't see that happening, myself.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, Virgil said:

You can't have 2 TEs that don't block which is what made Kincaid's selection puzzling and a bit wasteful.  You've got Knox eating up a big chunk of cap to be TE #2 now.  Knox's gadget needs to be blocking better so he can be on the field with Kincaid.  If that's not it he's teats on a bull with a contract that's tough to move.

35 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

You can't have 2 TEs that don't block which is what made Kincaid's selection puzzling and a bit wasteful.  You've got Knox eating up a big chunk of cap to be TE #2 now.  Knox's gadget needs to be blocking better so he can be on the field with Kincaid.  If that's not it he's teats on a bull with a contract that's tough to move.

Knox was used primarily as a blocker in the first half of the season.  That’s a large part of why his catches were down.  They used him to support in double teams quite a bit.  It may not be his best trait, but he does it a lot 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Knox was used primarily as a blocker in the first half of the season.  That’s a large part of why his catches were down.  They used him to support in double teams quite a bit.  It may not be his best trait, but he does it a lot 

Using him as help for Spencer Brown isn't the same thing as using him as an actual blocker.  

5 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Using him as help for Spencer Brown isn't the same thing as using him as an actual blocker.  

What would you call it?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

The LAST thing I want is the quarterback dictating roster construction based on personal relationships. That’s a problem IMO

I don’t know many that don’t 

Knox is overpaid by 3 million. People really need to get over Knox. If Knox is your quote on quote worst contract (news flash Von is) You're doing OK.

He does need to do more and the timely brutal drops must go but he's a solid player. If the Bills released him he would be on the market for 10 minutes before signing a new contract for a lot more than people expected. 

A guy who brings Knox athletism who can block is a desirable commodity in the NFL. 

Besides if Knox has another season like last year he will either take another paycut or he will have lived up to his contract in which case who cares. Its not like he's a super diva whose going to cause a stink. The guy knows his value and wants to be a Buffalo Bill and stay with Josh Allen.

8 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Outside the very best of the best of the best. That is exactly how Tight Ends are used. Knox is an above avg. blocking Tight End in the NFL of guys who can actually go out and run routes. Is he a Lee Smith? No. But teams also know Lee Smith isn't a threat in any other way. 

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

He's untradable.

Beane really #*)@ the bed with that K.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Kincaid can't block anyone.  Not sure why people think he is TE #1.  Sadly Knox has not developed into the receiving threat of an elite TE, so Brady will need to figure out a way to use them both.  

Knox is not going anywhere after taking a pay cut.  If Beane pulled that stunt he destroys his reputation in the locker room and with the agents.

They have been and always will be different positions on the team. 

In fact when his contract is up Kincaid will argue like other flex TE's have that he should be paid more in line like a WR and not a TE.  

Knox is still likely one of the best pass catching, blocking TE's in the league.  Depending on what the Bills still do at WR and how much they may trust a rookie early on, maybe they will go back to more 12 personal this year like they started with last year.  In that role Knox could be valuable as he's a good enough pass catcher to keep teams honest.

As far as Kincaid blocking, lets see how he does as a 2nd year player before saying he can't block anyone.  Likely in college he was hardly ever asked to.