Are we really going to miss any of the departed players?

In the long run we are going to be fine.

Are we going to experience some growing pains without all of these guys this upcoming season?  In my opinion, Yes.  We have no idea what to expect out of McGovern as a starting C for the first time in his career.  I expect there to be some communication issues amongst the new safeties as they take over the reigns.  I trust Beane to hit on some draft picks this year but there's always that rookie learning curve where you have to keep your expectations reasonable what those guys are going to come in here and do right away.  I think there's alot of fans that lean on the highly optimistic point of view thinking we are going to be this highly upgraded team this year where I see it as more of a growing pains kind of year although I do expect us to be pretty competitive.  We have too much talent to be a bad team.  

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

The question of Elite players keeps coming up and is a fair question.  Besides Milano (when healthy) and Taron Johnson, who is the elite player on the Bils defense? Trying to be objective, I think the answer is potentially Benard.  Being "elite" is also a very hard question.  Neither Hyde or Poyer were considered elite when the Bills signed them.  

On offense, I think we have elite players.  Allen, Cook, Dawkins, and Kincaid are all elite players.  Torrence and possibly Shakir have that potential as well if they build on last season.  Cook finished 4th in rushing and 3rd in scrimmage yards by a RB last season.  That's elite production.  

You’re very generous with the word elite. I’d say for elite we have josh and MAYBE Milano. The rest of those players are good/borderline pro bowl with Kincaid flashing potential. 

We could use a Kam chancellor type safety and an in-his-prime von miller. 

I agree that we won't miss most of the dearly departed.  But I'll comment on a couple of positions where we have worries.

Diggs.  The OP wrote:  "He [Diggs] also was clearly no longer a fit in a Joe Brady offense."  This is clearly true but maybe because Brady didn't know how to utilize Diggs's talents.  Diggs was far more effective under Daboll and Dorsey than Brady.   Brady spread the ball around better than Dorsey but he didn't statistically spike yards or points.  Schematically, Brady didn't seem any better at creating downfield separation.  The misfit between Brady and Diggs is as much a Brady problem as a Diggs problem.  Maybe more.  It's the OC's job to maximize the production of his players.  I'm curious to see what Brady can do with a full offseason but I don't see a lot of objective reasons to be optimistic.  Brady is not (yet) a proven commodity as an OC.  

Secondary.  We won't miss Hyde, Poyer, and White a whole lot because they were hampered by age and injuries last year.  But I'm not looking for a secondary that equals last year's disappointing performance.  I'm hoping for a secondary that can get us to the Super Bowl.  I won't miss last year's versions of Hyde, Poyer and White but I will miss the versions of Hyde, Poyer, and White that once anchored perhaps the best secondary in the league.  

• Like (+1) 1

I've been a Bills fan since 1980. I've seen them come, I've seen them go.

For me, the Salary Cap dump of 1999 hurt the most.

Sometimes their departure stings. But it stings like ripping off a Band-Aid, it hurts for a moment, then goes away.

I doubt many here will rue the departure of Diggs next January, except for a few of the "I told you so" types.

• Like (+1) 1

Personnel changes happen every year.  Some years more than others.  These players were good Bills and gave us some exciting times as fans.  We all had hoped they could bring home a championship.  It didn't happen.  Players don't last long.  It's just the nature of the game plus the salary cap.  I'll miss Tre White though.  Before his injuries, he was really good and he was fun and funny.  Yep gonna miss Tre.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Morse, as an understated true leader and player will be missed imo. Also, the League-wide respect for the Hyde & Poyer tandem will be sorely missed. Al these losses will have negative impact on the teams’ performance, even if only subtly.

Which is it?

• Eyeroll 1

I will miss a lot of the veteran players that Beane moved on from.

In the long run it's what has to happen to an aging team.  I think it would have been bad to have all these guys return especially if

the end result was worse than last season.

It's a bit of a reset with a fresh start.  Time for some of the young guys to step up!

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

link?

What is your proof to assert that the “Jets are loaded”? How many championships has their roster, coach, or FO, produced? How many playoff appearances? How many wins? It’s just hype until they prove otherwise.

10 minutes ago, vincec said:

What is your proof to assert that the “Jets are loaded”? How many championships has their roster, coach, or FO, produced? How many playoff appearances? How many wins? It’s just hype until they prove otherwise.

Do you really think the Bills have better talent than the Jets?

The Jets are clearly all in this season, and absolutely rolling the dice on big name guys that have major health concerns. But if they can stay healthy…. (Huge if) they may have the best talent in the AFCE, arguably.

Morse is still a good Center, but from people who breakdown tape.. he was struggling more and more at anchoring against certain alignments & certain types of DT’s last year. 

Diggs could be addition by subtraction, depending on what we do at WR, but in terms of skill & this year only, we could’ve done whatever we decide to do plus have Diggs.   So unless we absolutely crush it in bringing in not one, but two WR’s that ball out, we probably will miss Diggs .. strictly talent wise.   I’ll hold off judgment until I see what our WR room 1-4 looks like.  

Everywhere else, honestly no.. I don’t think we miss Tre, Hyde, Poyer, Floyd, Gabe, Bates etc.  We had gotten used to life without Tre, Hyde & Poyer were solid last year.. that’s it, Floyd vanished halfway through the season and Gabe, see my comments above about Diggs. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Diggs.  The OP wrote:  "He [Diggs] also was clearly no longer a fit in a Joe Brady offense."  This is clearly true but maybe because Brady didn't know how to utilize Diggs's talents.  Diggs was far more effective under Daboll and Dorsey than Brady.   Brady spread the ball around better than Dorsey but he didn't statistically spike yards or points.  Schematically, Brady didn't seem any better at creating downfield separation.  The misfit between Brady and Diggs is as much a Brady problem as a Diggs problem.  Maybe more.  It's the OC's job to maximize the production of his players.  I'm curious to see what Brady can do with a full offseason but I don't see a lot of objective reasons to be optimistic.  Brady is not (yet) a proven commodity as an OC.  

What I can't get over is the drop in Diggs' catch %.  I don't think that has anything to do with Brady, and everything to do with Diggs.  

It's also not like Diggs stopped being the focus of the passing attack under Brady.  Diggs was targeted 111 times from week 7 through the playoffs.  Kincaid was targeted 83 times and Shakir 52.  The difference was Diggs had 636 yards on his 111 targets, Kincaid 659 on his 83 targets and Shakir 646 on his 52.  Hard to blame Brady when Diggs wasn't being effective.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

What I can't get over is the drop in Diggs' catch %.  I don't think that has anything to do with Brady, and everything to do with Diggs.  

It's also not like Diggs stopped being the focus of the passing attack under Brady.  Diggs was targeted 111 times from week 7 through the playoffs.  Kincaid was targeted 83 times and Shakir 52.  The difference was Diggs had 636 yards on his 111 targets, Kincaid 659 on his 83 targets and Shakir 646 on his 52.  Hard to blame Brady when Diggs wasn't being effective.

More and more it looks like Diggs just checked out.  

The lack of focus could explain the drops.  The quote from Norman about Diggs just taking himself out.  The snap percentage reflecting games where Trent Sherfield, of all people, out-snapped him. 

I think he just quit on us. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, BBFL said:

3-4 years ago? I’d even take the player we saw last year even if it was primarily the first 9 weeks. That’s just me though. 

well...when u got a hot gf that constantly stirs the pot no longer puts out for the most part its usually time to move on..regardless of how 

hot she is.   

25 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

well...when u got a hot gf that constantly stirs the pot no longer puts out for the most part its usually time to move on..regardless of how 

hot she is.   

Then you end up with just benefits. Diggs coming back for a bit of fun next season then?

1 hour ago, vincec said:

I said they seem loaded on paper.  Everything else in your response is immaterial

They will miss Diggs until the Diggs replacement gets a solid chemistry with Josh. Then the #1 receiver position will be better with a vertical component. The Samuel replacement value for Davis  will be a net positive immediately with a gadget and screen option and more speed and elusiveness.I feel the O -line will be better with youth and size improvement at center and Edwards being a wash with McGovern at guard. Harty, Siran Neal were good ST players but easily replaced. Murray’s carries will go to Ty Johnson.The safeties will be missed for the leadership if nothing else. The loss of Dodson and Jackson should have minimal  effect with Milano and Edwards on the field. Settle, Lawson, Phillips were journeyman at best, no big deal with the addition of Johnson and a drafted DT. All things considered, by mid season we should be better than last year.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Nah, we won't miss Diggs.

1,343 yards of receiving per year for 4 years as a Bill.

Any stooge will pump out that production in his sleep.

I'm tellin' ya.  

We'll have to see what kind of rookie production the Draft spits out, but it's doubtful that we're going to get much after June 1st cuts.  

Seems that we may be closer to pre-Diggs QB/WR production than during the past four years.  

The one certain thing is that we knew that Diggs could start slowing down at any point, yet Beane made exactly zero signifiant attempts to address it before or even during it occurring.  Now they've been forced to trade him, which we learn by the day now how all of the "don't panic, all is well" PR was lies.  None of this should have come as anything of a major shock to Beane, yet here we are with our pants down around our ankles on the situation.  

It will be negligent if we do not draft a WR in round 1.  

6 hours ago, BBFL said:

3-4 years ago? I’d even take the player we saw last year even if it was primarily the first 9 weeks. That’s just me though. 

What about the last 8 games and the playoffs when the Bills needed the most?

6 hours ago, BBFL said:

6 hours ago, BBFL said:

6 hours ago, BBFL said:

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Nah, we won't miss Diggs.

1,343 yards of receiving per year for 4 years as a Bill.

Any stooge will pump out that production in his sleep.

giphy.gif

That’s true, but compare that with the second half of last year. Players are like stocks. You gotta know when to sell. Those phenomenal numbers are in the past. The Bills went on the win streak in spite of Diggs not because of him. And Davis too for that matter fell off the face of the earth except for the Chargers game. There was this statement made in a Mike Florio (easy ….look past the messenger… to the players quote) article after the Bills game against the Chiefs during the season: 

“Bills receiver Stefon Diggs vented recently about the frustrations that come from constantly being double-teamed. Most recently, Kansas City’s defense neutralized Diggs all the way to a season-low 24 receiving yards.

After we posted an item based on Diggs’s comments to reporters, Chiefs safety Justin Reid chimed in. “Crazy part is,” Reid posted on X, “we didn’t double him.”

Diggs was targeted 11 times against the Chiefs. He had only four catches.”

I thought Diggs was hurt last year, now I think he’s just … not as effective 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Little Dog said:

We went 6-1. 

We went 6-1. 

We went 6-1. 

We went 6-1. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, dpberr said:

The emotions surrounding players released this season will be forgotten by the time we are cheering on the 2026 Bills, which should be a fantastic team. The moves made today create that team of tomorrow. 

Beane got Knox and Miller to take pay cuts.

Gone are Diggs, White, Morse, Sherfield etc who had higher contracts likely not played up to.

I don’t see any overpriced players now and with the Bills eating all Diggs $ this year, I like the 2025 possibilities!

I trust the Beaner!

Edited by K-No
  • Like (+1) 1

Absolutely, there are going to be adjustments early in the season.  Of course, other teams have had significant personnel changes and face similar adjustments.  We don't yet know who the starting WRs will be the first game of the season.  Allen is going to need to develop chemistry with at least two new receivers who are going to get significant reps.   I'm wondering if that means McDermott will play his starters a little more in preseason than he would if there was less turnover. 

I don't want to downplay the loss of Morse at center, but McGovern is a quality lineman and with preseason to work out the kinks, I think the offensive line will be fine.  The other big chemistry question is at safety. 

I'm hoping that the Bills might have found themselves a young version of Poyer in Mike Edwards.  He has plenty of athleticism and he's played well when given an opportunity.  I'm not as optimistic that Taylor Rapp is going to make me forget Micah Hyde.  He played better late in the 2023 season than he did earlier, but I think his lack of athleticism is always going to make him a liability in coverage.  I don't see the Bills picking up any safety help in the draft before round 4 and a don't think the odds are great that a mid to late draft pick is going to step in as a starter and not be a downgrade.  

I think the Bills will be OK in the front seven on defense.  Leonard Floyd is a significant loss.  I'm hoping that Von Millier will get some of his former greatness back, but I don't have any concrete evidence that will be the case.  I'm afraid Buffalo is going to struggle some trying to create pressure on opposing QBs.  

That said, McDermott is terrific as scheming on defense to minimize holes in the roster.  Hopefully with smart coaching the Bills can stay competitive early in the season and get solid contributions from whatever rookies they draft.  

• Agree 1

There is a chance that every so often Diggs may be missed, but that’s going to be completely dependent on who we bring on board, jmo. 

Can’t tell for sure with Diggs until we see who they bring in but will likely miss him a bit.  Morse maybe on the run game unless McGovern can pull as well as Morse did, but may be stronger there in pass protection.  Floyd a bit.  Not at safety and I think Hyde  may very well be back.

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

OP concedes "On paper the Bills are slightly downgraded", then spends the rest of the article telling us how the the Bills "should be ok" with the downgrades----after opening by dragging a guy who claims the Jets are better on paper.

gotta love this place...

one man's opinion is another man's garbage.  Go Bills !!!

• Like (+1) 1

Change any five players other than Allen on the Bills, and replace them with Jags.  Bills still win the division in 2024
Change the GM and the Bills still win the division 2024

Change the entire coaching staff and the Bills still win the division in 2024. 

So we won't miss any of the departed players. 
But there is little evidence to expect Beane is going to replace them with players we would miss, if they left, either. Bills feel like they have been spinning their wheels for a while.  Top 2 QB. Very weak division.  Its a pretty good formula for winning the division.  And only narrow-minded people think that is not good enough.   Or so I have heard. 

4 hours ago, BBFL said:

Then you end up with just benefits. Diggs coming back for a bit of fun next season then?

which is great..until your hot g/f isnt hot  anymore.   we'll see if it was diggs attitude or his waning physical ablities that 

caused the last half of the year.  im sure diggs will be back in town wanting to show his new lover it was us not him.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

We aren’t going to miss them that much, because they are diminished players. But we are going to miss the players they used to be quite a lot.

I think this is spot on. I don’t think we’ll “miss” the 2024 season version of these players. But I’m not sure we have adequate replacements to come near their 2020-2022 performance.

A couple of years ago many of these players leaving would have really hurt, but with most of them sadly now it was time. 

When the going gets tough, Diggs goes missing. 

Edited by Freak-O
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, <bills4life> said:

Not for that kind of money I wouldn’t.  Add on being a total pain in the a$$. 

If the PITA earning big $$$ produced like he did 2 years ago, he'd be worth keeping.   Maybe Diggs needs a "refresh" -- ie, a new team -- every few years.

5 hours ago, FireChans said:

Do you really think the Bills have better talent than the Jets?

The Jets are clearly all in this season, and absolutely rolling the dice on big name guys that have major health concerns. But if they can stay healthy…. (Huge if) they may have the best talent in the AFCE, arguably.

A generational talent at QB in his prime and a solid, pretty young OL trumps a 40-year-old QB coming off a serious injury and an OL dependent upon multiple aging and/or returning from injury linemen.   Let's be realistic here.   All the hype about the Jests is based on the assumption that Rodgers is going come back from his Achilles injury as good as he was in Green Bay but his last season in GB was one of his poorest, with his highest INTs in a dozen years.   Having a great defense won't win the the Jests the AFCE or even a wild card berth if Rodgers doesn't return to his pre-2022 form or gets seriously injured.

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Offensive line

Out with Bates and Morse.  Considering Bates played all of 35 snaps, I don't think he'll be missed.  Morse on the other hand has been the Bills center for the last 5 years and has done a very good job, but at 32 it is a reasonable question to ask how much he has left in the tank.  Beane solution is moving McGovern to center and creating a competition for the guard spot to returnee David Edwards (148 snaps last season - the most by a Bills backup OL) and presumably veteran La'el Collins. Collins has started 86 of 89 career games as a rt, but missed last season with injuries.  

Hadn't thought of Collins as a candidate to compete for the LG spot. Still don't tbh. That dude's an average starting RT (not an insult in this context), and so presumably an above average swing tackle. I know tackles bump inside easier than guards move outside, but of course not all OTs make good OGs. Dawkins, Brown, Collins, and Van Demark is a nice OT room. I say leave it at that and find the new starting LG among a pool of Edwards, Anderson, and a day two or three draftee. 

(Admittedly, I do quietly still think Dawkins would be an ELITE LG. But he's a pretty dang good LT, and now he's also really well paid for a while, so that's silly talk.)