Why does Beane get a pass?

2 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

He’s an average GM who closed his eyes in the 2018 draft and picked one Josh over the other. He’s missed on a bunch of picks but that’s the nature of the business. 
Should we give him a chance to do a mini rebuild which he claims the Bills are not in and see what the team looks like this summer I will but the man is on borrowed time and he knows it.

Prove it.  He got an extension last year and Terry has given him and McDermott both a vote of confidence.   The only people he is on borrowed time with is a few fans.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

He traded away a guy who is at the tail end of his career, who was 100% a distraction, and had WR4 level numbers in the playoffs. The cap hit hurts but there is 1 guy I wouldn’t want to be this upcoming season. And that’s CJ Stroud. He’s 22 and crybaby Diggs will be all over him by week 4. 

Edited by stevestojan
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Von miller contract

Dawson Knox contract

Stephen diggs contract

Defense line draft picks that never pan out

Defense tackle signings that are not good enough

No reliable pass rusher 

Wyatt Teller give away

Edmunds 

Just curious why he is so highly regarded when these issues have come to roost fully

I have levied criticism of McDermott and Beane. On thing I always note when doing so is that it’s unclear who is ultimately making the final decisions. I think that Beane reports to McDermott, but I’m not sure. The Bills invite this kind of speculation because they will not tell the public who has the final roster authority or what the reporting structure. I’ve always found this unnecessary and odd. I can’t say I’ve seen that level of secrecy over that information before. 

35 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Von miller contract

Dawson Knox contract

Stephen diggs contract

No reliable pass rusher 

Wyatt Teller give away

Edmunds 

Just curious why he is so highly regarded when these issues have come to roost fully

1. Von was meant to be the one who put us over the top and showed he might be able to before his injury. It was an all-in move that backfired due to an unforeseen injury; not his age or skill.  Neutral

2. It was overpay, but he was able to get him to take a pay cut this year.  Bad

3. Diggs extension, was a risky venture but was needed for cap space. One can't look at a contract in a vacuum; if we didn't extend him we likely can't sign guys like Leonard Floyd who were contributors to the roster.  Neutral

4. His high draft picks haven't all panned out but he has hit on multiple lower round guys.  Bad to Neutral

I'll finish this after I drive home

7 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Von miller contract

Dawson Knox contract

Stephen diggs contract

No reliable pass rusher 

Wyatt Teller give away

Edmunds 

Von miller contract - You can't anticipate an ACL Tear. Before the injury, you saw why he deserved that contract.

Dawson Knox contract - Bad move, no way around that.

Stefon diggs contract - It ended up being a bad move. But at the time, like Miller, he deserved the contract he got. It was before things really went south and he probably felt that in paying him, he'd stay happy. 

Defense line draft picks that never pan out - First off, Ed Oliver did pan out. Greg Rousseau, a starter since he was Drafted, as the 30th pick in the Draft is not a bust. You act as if a player isn't a Pro Bowler it was a waste of a pick. You don't usually Draft All Pro's at 30. AJ Epenesa was a late bloomer, but has come on as a decent player who's now on his 2nd contract. Much like Rousseau, for being selected at Pick 54, he's at least gotten fair value for where he was picked. Especially now. Basham was a bust - but every GM in the league has picks that don't pan out. Because he felt he needed an absolute stud, he signed Miller.

Defense tackle signings that are not good enough - Daquan Jones is solid and that's why he's been brought back on a second contract. Would you rather he spent big money on a big time DT like we did with Miller? Especially at rotational since Oliver and Jones are the starters?

No reliable pass rusher - This is a repeat complaint, where the explanation falls under your Miller and DL Picks posts.

Wyatt Teller give away - This was a mistake and he'd be the first to admit it. Nine times out of 10, if you trade a 5th Round developmental pick that looked average in a handful of games starting - they aren't going to become a Pro Bowl player. I don't remember anyone freaking out when the trade happened. Like a number of these decisions, hindsight is 20/20. 

Edmunds - What about him? He took a Linebacker mid Round 1 who started for 5 straight years for us, went to multiple Pro Bowls, and then signed the biggest MLB contract in history elsewhere. I know he was a whipping boy around here, but his contract speaks to how he was viewed around the league. I don't think there was a GM around the league who considered him a bust at Pick 16.

All in all have all of his moves been perfect? No. But any GM in the league who's made the amount of picks and moves that he's made over an 8 year span is going to have some moves they'd like to take back and some picks that don't pan out. But he's manuevered every cap scenario we've had and has fielded a continual Playoff team and Divisional Champion. For every pick that didn't pan out, he's found guys who have - and often late in the Draft as Diamonds in the Rough. Think back to the teams we fielded before he got here. Some of the decisions that were made. Before he came here, we couldn't even get mid level FA's to agree to come here.

Brandon Beane hasn't been perfect. But he's still the best GM we've had in a long, LONG time and is amongst the most respected people at his position in the league.  

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’ve been thinking that he has got a little lucky this off-season with Miller and Knox agreeing to pretty unlikely pay cuts IMO..

I wonder if he still trades Diggs if those pay cuts don’t happen? 

Edited by Aussie Joe

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Some of us did not like the 2022 offseason at the time and it has proven to be pretty much an unmitigated disaster:

Free Agent signings:

Jordan Phillips - $5m

Tim Settle - $9m

Daquan Jones - $14m

Von Miller - $120m

Roger Saffold - $6.25m

Ryan Bates - $17m

OJ Howard - $3.5m

Jameson Crowder - $2m

Extension:

Stefon Diggs - $96m

First round pick:

Kaiir Elam

I know he had some decent success with some of his later picks - Cook, Bernard, Benford - but it is by any standards a bit of a disaster of an offseason.

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

As far as the draft goes Elam was a major miss but overall I would consider that draft a success getting Cook, Bernard, and Benford, and Shakir.

As for the diggs extension he was producing at a high level and they paid him a market rate. If they would have an he would have walked or moved on then people would be upset they didn’t keep him. Yea it didn’t work out but overall at the time it seemed like a reasonable deal.

Von produced when he came in and looked exactly like the player we wanted. He got hurt that’s not in Beane’s control. Jones was a very good signing and crowder was worth a swing at that price.

Bates was also a fine signing you paid him about 4 million a year to compete as a starter and be a top back up plus got a 5th round pick for him. If you didn’t sign him you were getting nothing for him. 

Beane has some hits and misses every year like any GM as others have mentioned. Anyone who thinks ever other gm hits on all their draft picks and free agents doesn’t follow other teams at all. If anything I get Beane’s draft production is better than most in the NFL.

12 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I have levied criticism of McDermott and Beane. On thing I always note when doing so is that it’s unclear who is ultimately making the final decisions. I think that Beane reports to McDermott, but I’m not sure. The Bills invite this kind of speculation because they will not tell the public who has the final roster authority or what the reporting structure. I’ve always found this unnecessary and odd. I can’t say I’ve seen that level of secrecy over that information before. 

Why should they have to tell the public that.  They run it the way they run it.  Beane should get credit for the good things he does and criticism for the bad things like anyone else.  Given they are a perennial playoff team there have been more good moves than bad.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, khlax3 said:

As far as the draft goes Elam was a major miss but overall I would consider that draft a success getting Cook, Bernard, and Benford, and Shakir.

As for the diggs extension he was producing at a high level and they paid him a market rate. If they would have an he would have walked or moved on then people would be upset they didn’t keep him. Yea it didn’t work out but overall at the time it seemed like a reasonable deal.

Von produced when he came in and looked exactly like the player we wanted. He got hurt that’s not in Beane’s control. Jones was a very good signing and crowder was worth a swing at that price.

Bates was also a fine signing you paid him about 4 million a year to compete as a starter and be a top back up plus got a 5th round pick for him. If you didn’t sign him you were getting nothing for him. 

Beane has some hits and misses every year like any GM as others have mentioned. Anyone who thinks ever other gm hits on all their draft picks and free agents doesn’t follow other teams at all. If anything I get Beane’s draft production is better than most in the NFL.

It isn't a dig at Beane overall. But they blew that 2022 offseason. There is no question. Yes he found some good contributors in the draft but equally - running back, linebacker and slot receiver are what some might call low hanging fruit. It was a bad offseason. No way around it.

There have been misses, but you have to contrast that with his hits.  

Beane seems to me a fluid guy that learns from his mistakes and adjusts accordingly.  For me that's one of the most important traits for a GM.  

Trading Diggs has restored my faith in him.  It was a tough move, but it needed to happen.  

Starting with Cook and Kincaid, he is retooling the offense right in front of our eyes and I like the direction it's heading.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

They have said Beane has authority over personnel and both he and McDermott report to Pegula. That is public and on the record. No mystery about it. Fans speculate about who has more power in the relationship and I agree it is McDermott but also when you speak to people who have been in that building including one at a high level what they say is the same as the public line - Beane runs personnel and he makes those decisions.

1 minute ago, khlax3 said:

They made the call to extend him early … I think he had 2 years left … no doubt it was done with the best  intentions to keep him happy … 

He was playing well at the time … but it looks a poor decision now … if they waited another 12 months to the off season after Bengals playoff game carry on … then the fans would likely be happy to see him gone with a first round pick and a lot less cap pain…

It’s a sliding doors moment that hopefully we aren’t looking back on in 10 years … just another thing that doesn’t seem to go their way …

he doesnt leave any stone unturned and takes calculated shots/gambles.

hes the best GM in bills history and i hope we never lose him.

he has what it takes. hes one of the few surgeons of a GM in the league.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Von miller contract

Dawson Knox contract

Stephen diggs contract

No reliable pass rusher 

Wyatt Teller give away

Edmunds 

Von Miller: if you don't understand why he did it. There's no help for you

Dawson Knox. Yes, bad contract.

Stefan Diggs: Again, if you don't see why he did it at the time, there's no help for you

You are correct. The Dline picks have been pretty disappointing. 

No reliable pass rusher. Pretty much the same as the dline argument.  

DT signings: Ed Oliver, Daquon Jones. Those are just fine. 

Wyatt Teller: to his defense wasn't THAT great when he was with us but yes, Beane probably gave up too early.

Edmunds was highly regarded out of college. Can't really fault him for that pick. He was a major need at the time

All in all. Chill the f out

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Prove it.  He got an extension last year and Terry has given him and McDermott both a vote of confidence.   The only people he is on borrowed time with is a few fans.

He got an extension cause of 17 nothing more nothing less 

1 hour ago, Sharky7337 said:

Von miller contract

Dawson Knox contract

Stephen diggs contract

No reliable pass rusher 

Wyatt Teller give away

Edmunds 

Boy, you and me, pal…. I don’t get the blind love for Beane either…. You could also add mediocre drafts since Allen pick….

(the jury is still out on how he did last year) and you definitely could add the Diggs trade as well…. I still say the worst one was the VM contract. Miller was no where the player he once was in Denver and we gave him a contract like he was. And he was old….

oh, and the Star Loutotia (SP?) contract. Everyone forgets about that one but it was the first of the dramatic overpays….

How about 13 seconds and Tre's and Vonn injuries?  Seems to me if not for these few things, we could possibly have two rings.   Dont see how Bean had any part in those.  Bean has done his job pretty dang well the last few years building the team. 

Von miller contract - ACL tears took away what was a VERY promising start for Von in a Bills uniform

Dawson Knox contract - Worth the money until we drafted Kincaid, and worked out a new deal for Knox so it really didnt impact anything

Stephen diggs contract - No credit for bringing him in when he was available from Minny?

Defense line draft picks that never pan out - Rousseau is looking to be solid for his draft position, and Oliver is great

Defense tackle signings that are not good enough - Jones was a great signing

No reliable pass rusher - See Von

Wyatt Teller give away - Different schemes and good teams lose good players.  Teller was a missed opportunity but it happens to good team

Edmunds - What's the problem here?  He drafted him, and let him go and replaced him with a very solid and cheap in house option...

I could really just say: 4 straight division titles after making the playoffs ONCE in the previous 25 years...

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

He got an extension cause of 17 nothing more nothing less 

No, he got an extension because Terry likes and believes in him.  So again he is only on limited time with a few fans,not the owner.

29 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Why should they have to tell the public that.  They run it the way they run it.  Beane should get credit for the good things he does and criticism for the bad things like anyone else.  Given they are a perennial playoff team there have been more good moves than bad.

I didn’t say they had to tell anyone, just that it is very out of the ordinary and odd. Why wouldn’t a team be transparent about it? I guess it rubs me wrong for this reason: Beane is the GM. If he has final say then I see no reason at all to not tell the public. But if it’s McDermott, then it’s a problem because Beane winds up taking the heat for decisions he’s getting stuck with. That would be dysfunctional. 

Edited to add: Gunner just posted that he has seen it states that Beane has final roster authority. If that’s the case, then I’m good with laying the blame and kudos for roster decisions at Beane’s feet. I just haven’t seen anything definitive on the matter myself. 

Edited by BarleyNY

23 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

he doesnt leave any stone unturned and takes calculated shots/gambles.

hes the best GM in bills history and i hope we never lose him.

he has what it takes. hes one of the few surgeons of a GM in the league.

Until he gets to one superbowl, let alone 4, no he's not.

48 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

For all that money spent he got half a season out of Von (okay unlucky) and good production out of Jones. But that is a LOT of dollars down the drain. The right moves that summer we overtook KC. Unfortunately the moves we made were not what was required and wasted our last bit of cap flex in that first window. 

Be that as it may, Beanes moves are still SOP, team dump under performing players,  it’s barely news, happens with monotonous regularity in the NFL, me, not worried in the slightest, We will still win the AFCE, and go to the post season, jmo, feel free to disagree, but that’s my feelings on this, 

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They have said Beane has authority over personnel and both he and McDermott report to Pegula. That is public and on the record. No mystery about it. Fans speculate about who has more power in the relationship and I agree it is McDermott but also when you speak to people who have been in that building including one at a high level what they say is the same as the public line - Beane runs personnel and he makes those decisions.

I appreciate that information. I’ve looked for it, but have never found anything definitive that states which of them has final roster authority. 

5 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

OP, if it's any consolation the same posters who are roasting you also roasted anybody who said something was up with Diggs.  

Okay, we are gonna trade Beane for a pick next year…, 

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I didn’t say they had to tell anyone, just that it is very out of the ordinary and odd. Why wouldn’t a team be transparent about it? I guess it rubs me wrong for this reason: Beane is the GM. If he has final say then I see no reason at all to not tell the public. But if it’s McDermott, then it’s a problem because Beane winds up taking the heat for decisions he’s getting stuck with. That would be dysfunctional. 

I’m not so sure it’s out of the ordinary.  Would have to compare to other teams.

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It isn't a dig at Beane overall. But they blew that 2022 offseason. There is no question. Yes he found some good contributors in the draft but equally - running back, linebacker and slot receiver are what some might call low hanging fruit. It was a bad offseason. No way around it.

To be fair, that class was pretty poor at the positions that we needed. 

WR?  No impact signings other than maybe Juju, who chose the Chiefs.  Kirk signed for way over our limit

DT?  Suh was a cheap option but he went where he wanted.  We did sign Jones who has earned a second deal

Von was unfortunate, but almost every top signing that year has been a miss

Some good RB options, but it really doesn't look like a good FA group after a few years.

Von miller contract

Dawson Knox contract

Stephen diggs contract

No reliable pass rusher 

Wyatt Teller give away

Edmunds 

Von miller contract - Most were on board at the time, and he was living up to it until he got hurt.  No issues for me, just bad luck

Dawson Knox contract - I agree this was a bit high and a future contract.  No one knew Kincaid would be coming.  Knox restructured and gave money back.  No issues

Stephen diggs contract - No one had an issue at the time.  He fell off a cliff earlier than expected and no one thought he was going to push his way out.  

Defense line draft picks that never pan out - AJ just re-signed, Oliver got an extension.  Groot is getting picked up.  Are you just referring to Boogie?

Defense tackle signings that are not good enough - Um, Jones?

No reliable pass rusher - Until injuries, we had one of the best past rush in the league last year.  As people got healthy, the pass rush came back

Wyatt Teller give away - Seriously?  This has been addressed multiple times.

Edmunds - Did you want to pay him that much money as the Bears did?  If anything, Beane got a full 5 years out of him, a comp pick, and quietly upgraded with a replacement draft pick.  That's the life of the NFL sometimes

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Be that as it may, Beanes moves are still SOP, team dump under performing players,  it’s barely news, happens with monotonous regularity in the NFL, me, not worried in the slightest, We will still win the AFCE, and go to the post season, jmo, feel free to disagree, but that’s my feelings on this, 

No I think we will win the AFCE and make the playoffs too. But when we ask why haven't we made that final step and won a Championship that set of moves in 2022 looms large IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

The Bills have won the 2nd most games in the league since 2020.

They've won four straight division titles.

The only possible reason to say he "deserves" criticism is because they haven't won a title. But if that's the case, then 31 GMs every single year deserve criticism.

Looking at moves in a vacuum for any GM across the league, you're going to see some moves that worked and some that didn't. No GM is immune to mistakes. But looking at the total output and production of a team gives you a sense of what kind of job the team's architect has done. The fact remains that only the Chiefs have won more games than the Bills since 2020, that they've won their division four years in a row, and that they are contenders year in and year out.

You want perfection? Go watch a Kurosawa film or listen to a Betthoven sonata. 

Beane is a very good GM.

P.S. Brandon Beane DOES receive criticism, and if you don't see it, then you're not looking in the right places. Go turn on ESPN, Fox Sports 1, or listen to any drive time football radio show, and you'll hear scores of criticism of Beane and his Bills. Heck, the buzziest phrase in football the past two season has been "the Bills window is closed".

If you're angry at Brandon Beane and want to criticize him, then just say that. Don't manufacture an immunity to criticism that he does not actually possess.

And then came back  and won the AFC East and #2 seed

Beane has had his hiccups but for the most part he's been a very good GM.  He'll make the appropriate moves later this month to land us 2 quality wrs.  And I'm sure Dawson & Von will be June 1st casualties next year. Remember there will be several quality wrs hitting fa and resetting the market next March. 

• Agree 1

For any mistakes or perceived mistake's Beane has made. They are erased by him finding a Franchise QB in Allen. It isn't easy winning a Super Bowl and when you have a Dynasty in your conference it is that much harder.

Despite not winning a Super Bowl. Team has been successful making the playoffs annually and generally being regarded one of the top teams in the league.

Edited by billieve420

Von miller contract

Dawson Knox contract

Stephen diggs contract

No reliable pass rusher 

Wyatt Teller give away

Edmunds 

I'm not sure where you are looking.

but he hasn't been "given a pass"

Criticism has been raised on all the Bills boards and in the media.

/

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

No, he got an extension because Terry likes and believes in him.  So again he is only on limited time with a few fans,not the owner.

No he wouldn’t be employed if he selected any player not named Josh Allen in 2018 and that includes Lamar Jackson. 

14 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Okay, we are gonna trade Beane for a pick next year…, 

We have in most peoples eyes a HOF QB and enough players acquired by Beane that we have 4 pages of justifying his actions. A coach, who many of the same people in this thread defend until the bitter end.

So why is it again that our ceiling is a Wild Card win and Division championship in a trash division?

Did we not just miss pretty badly in our first attempt to go all in with the cap? 

Did we not miss in passing on a guy like Hopkins for peanuts in comparison?

Not drafting more weapons for Josh?

Not prioritizing the offensive line for several years?

He's a solid GM. The OP didn't say we should get rid of him. He said should he get a pass? The answer is no. He has hand in this and deserves being critiqued like any other member who has a hand in this.    

Edited by Mikie2times

Von miller contract

Dawson Knox contract

Stephen diggs contract

No reliable pass rusher 

Wyatt Teller give away

Edmunds 

Careful about criticizing their leaders!!

That doesn’t go well here😂

I think Beane has done an above average job and is a solid GM. I don’t think he’s stellar though.

My biggest complaint is having allowed McD to dictate so many D pickups . Some will jump on this and ask “ Where’s the proof?” But it seems too obvious the onus that has been put on building out the D from the get go. Von Miller was a semi trash signing at the time and in hindsight a disaster.

A multi generational talent at QB and he has been given sub par o lines and sub par rushing help. The Diggs signing was brilliant but that opportunity/window was squandered.  
   Beane needs to use all his picks and hit of a few Receivers and a safety this draft. He doesn’t need to give away multiple firsts and more for a single receiver, not in a draft this deep at the position with all the needs we have.