[POLL] Should The Bills Trade Up For A WR?

boyst

[POLL]Trade Up For A WR? Who?  

364 members have voted

1. 1. Should we trade up inside the top 8 for a WR?

• Yes
    • No

On 4/3/2024 at 12:38 PM, boyst said:

Should they package a trade that would include this years first, next year's first and second to pick in the top 8 for a WR?

That's too much for a WR, especially in a WR-rich class where there will likely be better WR prospects available in the bottom of the first and into the second round than there usually are available even the top half of the first rounds of most drafts.  

I'm not opposed to the Bills using #28, one of the 2025 seconds, and maybe one or two of the Day 3 picks to move up but NOT 2 firsts plus a second next year.

Beane will trade up for a Wideout because the trade of Diggs netted us a fat zero for the 2024 season and a huge hole in the receiving corp.. I refuse to believe that he couldn’t have gotten a better offer after the draft or after June cuts. Why couldn’t we have demanded a starter from a team that was willing to pay 20million for a top ten receiver. We’ll see how our roster gets constructed going forward but you can bet Beane needs a top tier receiver in the draft.

NEVER trade up for a wide receiver unless you have absolutely unmatched levels of conviction that he's gonna be a superstar. What have we seen in past drafts to suggest that NFL GM's are particularly skilled at properly rating receivers? 

2023 WRs drafted in order: Smith-Njigba, Quentin Johnson, Zay Flowers, Jordan Addison.

2022 (in order): Drake London, Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Jameson Williams, Jahan Dotson, Treylon Burks

2021 (in order): Henry Ruggs, Jerry Jeudy, Ceedee Lamb, Jalen Reagor, Justin Jefferson, Brandon Aiyuk

2020 (in order): Jamarr Chase, Jaylen Waddle, Davonta Smith, Kadarius Toney, Rashod Bateman 

A few years prior, we saw Corey Davis, Mike Williams and John Ross all go top 10 in the draft. The year prior, Round 1 WRs consisted of Corey Coleman, Will Fuller, Josh Doctson, Laquan Treadwell. 

Kevin White was a semi recent top 10 WR. 

The Bills took Sammy Watkins fourth overall in 2014. 

I would obviously much rather draft 8th or 18th than 28th. But spending draft capital to move into those spots - which merely earns you the opportunity to guess wrong at extra cost - when you have a reasonable chance of getting someone just as good if not better later in the draft at no additional risk - doesn't seem like the correct move. Especially with a roster that could benefit from building depth at other positions.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, beebe said:

I would obviously much rather draft 8th or 18th than 28th. But spending draft capital to move into those spots - which merely earns you the opportunity to guess wrong at extra cost - when you have a reasonable chance of getting someone just as good if not better later in the draft at no additional risk - doesn't seem like the correct move. Especially with a roster that could benefit from building depth at other positions.

I agree.  My belief with the draft has always been that you don't get better players earlier in the draft.  What you get is better odds that a player will be good.  Harrison Jr. looks like a generational talent.  But the last receiver I can think of who seemed to be that kind of talent, with physical tools and ability, was Sammy Watkins.  He seemed like a sure thing.  At that cost, and with a deep class, I think they're better off picking multiple receivers and increasing their odds that way.

• Like (+1) 1

If the Vikings convince the Chargers to trade out of #5 (and the Chargers should be easily convinced), then the Bills should pull the trigger on trading up with the Giants to 6 and get Nabers. All for it.

Giants should be into it since it gives them another 1st for next year when they will be in the QB market after they get out of Jones contract at the end of this season.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, beebe said:

NEVER trade up for a wide receiver unless you have absolutely unmatched levels of conviction that he's gonna be a superstar. What have we seen in past drafts to suggest that NFL GM's are particularly skilled at properly rating receivers? 

2023 WRs drafted in order: Smith-Njigba, Quentin Johnson, Zay Flowers, Jordan Addison.

2022 (in order): Drake London, Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Jameson Williams, Jahan Dotson, Treylon Burks

2021 (in order): Henry Ruggs, Jerry Jeudy, Ceedee Lamb, Jalen Reagor, Justin Jefferson, Brandon Aiyuk

2020 (in order): Jamarr Chase, Jaylen Waddle, Davonta Smith, Kadarius Toney, Rashod Bateman 

A few years prior, we saw Corey Davis, Mike Williams and John Ross all go top 10 in the draft. The year prior, Round 1 WRs consisted of Corey Coleman, Will Fuller, Josh Doctson, Laquan Treadwell. 

To me, this list mostly illustrates that QBs make the WR draft picks.

The ones who made it were the ones with the good/great QBs. The busts are a lot of Cleveland, Atlanta, Jets...

With Josh at QB, whatever we invest in getting him better WR talent will see greater returns.

• Agree 1

I voted no because I don't think we can afford to get to the top three, and I don't think the next tier is a sure thing (Thomas Jr to a degree, and then Mitchell and Worthy who inactively don't want us to draft). Id be happy letting the draft fall to us.

I'm good with legette at 28. I really like Wilson and McConkey. My pipe dream is two from those three. 

My heartbreaker guess is we'll get an early receiver (Legette) and get close to a shot at Jamari Thrash later on but he'll go before we can get there. 

Edited by NickelCity
  • Like (+1) 2

TBD is split!

I voted no because I don’t want to give up next year’s 1st. Given the turnover this off-season, there is a reasonable chance that next year’s 1st could be the highest pick the Bills have had among the past few seasons. I think that future pick is more valuable than most are currently projecting.

I think the Minnesota 2nd rounder is a very interesting piece. Most will likely project it to be at the top of the 2nd round and so it will have a reasonable trade value. The Minnesota 2nd rounder probably is not enough to get into the top 8 without the Bills’ future 1st… but perhaps it is enough to jump up to grab a Brian Thomas Jr? That I could see.

I’d vote “yes” to a trade up, just not as high as proposed.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's look at Top 15 WRs in the last handful of years.

#5 - Corey Davis

#7 - Mike Williams

#9 - John Ross

None

None

#12 Henry Riggs

#15 Jerry Jeudy 

#5 Ja'Maar Chase (#1 WR)

#6 Jaylen Waddle

#10 DeVonta Smith

#8 Drake London

#10 Garret Wilson (#1 WR)

#11 Chris Olave

#12 Jameson Williams

None

It's not that impressive of a list.

How many true #1s are on this list? 2?

2 in 7 years. Olave is fringe. Waddle is #2 to Hill, Smith is #2 to AJ Brown, and Mike Williams was #2 to Keenan Allen.

You never know what's gonna happen.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If the Vikings convince the Chargers to trade out of #5 (and the Chargers should be easily convinced), then the Bills should pull the trigger on trading up with the Giants to 6 and get Nabers. All for it.

Giants should be into it since it gives them another 1st for next year when they will be in the QB market after they get out of Jones contract at the end of this season.

As much as I think Nabers is the best WR in the draft, I think I would rather trade back and grab McConkey, Worthy or Leggett so we don’t gut next years draft, and seriously jeopardize the future of the team…

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kaenon said:

#5 - Corey Davis

#7 - Mike Williams

#9 - John Ross

None

None

#12 Henry Riggs

#15 Jerry Jeudy 

#5 Ja'Maar Chase (#1 WR)

#6 Jaylen Waddle

#10 DeVonta Smith

#8 Drake London

#11 Chris Olave

#12 Jameson Williams

None

2 in 7 years. Olave is fringe. Waddle is #2 to Hill, Smith is #2 to AJ Brown, and Mike Williams was #2 to Keenan Allen.

Name the QBs all those guys went to.

On 4/3/2024 at 4:02 PM, Logic said:

Don't be scared because the Sammy Watkins trade didn't work out.
Look at the Julio Jones trade, which DID work out.

Send a package of picks (including this year's and next year's 1st, plus a future 2nd and 4th, or whatever the value chart dictates) to Chicago for the 9th pick. Draft Rome Odunze. Allen has a blue chip, franchise WR on a cost controlled deal for five years. A top playmaker who can grow with Allen and be the driving force in this passing game for years to come.

100% agree w/ this. I'm surprised the OP poll is split close to 50/50.  I thought everyone would be on board w/ a trade up.

We're talking about getting a player who can be Allen's go-to for a decade, and give opposing DC's nightmares.  They could be one of the legendary combo's of NFL history when all is said & done. 

I wouldn't compromise on that possibility. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, beebe said:

1 hour ago, Kaenon said:

#5 - Corey Davis

#7 - Mike Williams

#9 - John Ross

None

None

#12 Henry Riggs

#15 Jerry Jeudy 

#5 Ja'Maar Chase (#1 WR)

#6 Jaylen Waddle

#10 DeVonta Smith

#8 Drake London

#11 Chris Olave

#12 Jameson Williams

None

This WR class isn't equivalent to those years though. Almost everyone who analyzes players agrees that MHJ, Nabers, and Odunze are each worth a top 6 pick any year. Ja'Marr Chase is the only person on that list of 1st round WRs who's comparable to the caliber of prospect we're talking about here. It would be a stunner if any of these players fell out of the top 10. This just happens to be a year where there are 3 absolutely elite WR prospects.

I'm still against trading up for one because I think it just costs too much and I think we can still get a superstar WR if we double dip in the top 100. But let's at least be honest about the conversation - the debate is not about if the top 3 WRs are likely to be successful, it's about the cost/benefit analysis of trading up for one elite prospect versus staying put and being able to draft multiple very good prospects.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

No. There is plenty of WR talent to be had in the first 3 rounds.

i even like the Bills trading down a few spots in Rd 1 and getting more picks…

plus using the extra second from next year to move into the 3rd.

give me 2 of: 

Xavier Legette, Ricky Pearsall, Roman Wilson, Ladd McConkey, Jermaine Burton. 

and grab Luke McCaffrey later ….

• Agree 1

Unless they’re able to get one of the top 3 guys without giving up a future 1st then no. This WR class is way too deep, especially when it comes to late 1st/early day 2 caliber talent. Just stand pat at 28 and have your pick of the bunch.

• Like (+1) 1

Would only agree with a trade up for a guy they have a 1st round grade on that might have fallen a bit that Beane thinks he can go up just a bit and snag. Kind of like Kincaid.

No reaches and no gambling away the future on hoping one guy works out.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That’s way too much for me.  The Bills are in a rebuild that will take 2 off-seasons to complete.  Giving up all of those picks for 1 player will delay that rebuild further and certainly doesn’t make this team a championship contender this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'd rather take a guy at 28, and move up from 60 to take another good WR.

Let those guys compete like hell.

Let Samuel compete for shares, and we know Shakir will as well.

I'll take Mitchell/Franklin and Legette/Polk/McMillian/A. Smith.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

That’s way too much for me.  The Bills are in a rebuild that will take 2 off-seasons to complete.  Giving up all of those picks for 1 player will delay that rebuild further and certainly doesn’t make this team a championship contender this year. 

Yeah I dont disagree. And I dont think it will happen either. But it's fun to come up with the possibilities and post about in April.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Are you guys going to be surprised when Justin Jefferson is in a Bills uni?

Not surprised, but I don't think it will happen.

11 hours ago, Success said:

100% agree w/ this. I'm surprised the OP poll is split close to 50/50.  I thought everyone would be on board w/ a trade up.

We're talking about getting a player who can be Allen's go-to for a decade, and give opposing DC's nightmares.  They could be one of the legendary combo's of NFL history when all is said & done. 

I wouldn't compromise on that possibility. 

"Possibility" is the key word.   Player A drafted at #7 will not necessarily be a better NFL player than Player B drafted at #27.   Player A is simply considered more likely to be successful than Player B.   It's not worth 2 firsts and a second.

FWIW ... even if the Bills were to move up to the top of the draft and actually grabbed a future superstar WR, the chances of that player being Allen's "go-to for a decade" are slim to none given salary cap and injuries.

If the Bills weren't in the middle of a cap bloodbath and opening holes across the roster, go ahead and get that one piece. 2024/25 is no longer the time to light up Day 1/2 draft capital, they need to acquire it.

• The Bills could potentially go up to #5-#8 for MHJ or Nabers. We have the capital to do so.

• We could potentially go up to #15 for BTJ.

• We could stay at #28 and draft a WR there and then trade into the top of RD2 and double down on WR yet again. (Walking away with two top 40 WR prospects.)

• We could stay at #28 and package our RD2 pick from HOU along with our RD3 next year to go back into the 1st and draft two RD1 talents.

Lots of possibilities going into the draft.

• Like (+1) 2

Giving up a first and change is a steep price to trade for a proven, top-tier wide receiver.

Using two 1sts and a 2nd for an unproven rookie should be grounds for firing your GM. That is compensation for the most blue chip of QB’s.

What did the Bills get from KC for KC to move from 27 to 10? That’s what you give up for a QB. Not a guy that touches the ball 8 times a game on a very good day.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Happy Days Lois & Clark said:

The Sammy Watkins trade did not work out well at all.

Everyone knows that. It doesn't mean that trading up for WR is eternally off the table because of it.

• Agree 1

On 4/3/2024 at 2:55 PM, Victory Formation said:

Legette is a boom or bust prospect, same goes for Mitchell. At this point I’m hoping we trade up for Brian Thomas Jr.. He’s a true #1. Add someone like Troy Franklin, Xavier Worthy, Ja’Lynn Polk, Burton or Pearsall in RD2.

Thomas wasn't even a #1 in college. 

Playing opposite Nabers definitely led to more single coverage and made getting open easier for him.

On 4/4/2024 at 11:34 PM, gobills404 said:

Unless they’re able to get one of the top 3 guys without giving up a future 1st then no. This WR class is way too deep, especially when it comes to late 1st/early day 2 caliber talent. Just stand pat at 28 and have your pick of the bunch.

I would be willing to trade the 1nd we just got to trade up what we can with it, but no more than that.

2 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Playing opposite Nabers definitely led to more single coverage and made getting open easier for him.

I have watched him play and agree with Cossell he can be a #1 in time.

21 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I have watched him (Thomas Jr.) play and agree with Cossell he can be a #1 in time.

I have also seen him play plenty of times.

My response was to someone just declaring him a "true #1" when he hasn't had to be one.

His game needs work before he is a complete receiver imo. He has great physical talents and can definitely get there......but he is not a slam dunk and might be more of a deep threat early in his career.

Besides the top 3, I think Franklin  might be the most pro ready.  He is not the physical specimen Thomas is but he is a really good football player. Smart, clever, deceptive routes, an innate ability to get open, the instincts and explosiveness after the catch to be a threat from anywhere on the field. Had no problems getting off the line and beating man coverage consistently.

I will not be surprised if he is productive from the start and has a really good rookie year.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

That’s a fair criticism. Does it mean that he can’t be a #1? No, but I understand your concerns.

• Like (+1) 1

I would rather spend our draft capital on defense or the OL where its needed. If this draft is as receiver rich as we're told we shouldn't need to trade up.

Stefon Diggs was a 5th round pick. Marques Colston was undrafted. Cooper Kupp and Puka Nacqua were late round picks.

I like big marquee names as much as anyone but I'm quite comfortable winning ugly. We have had no defensive impact players in the Clappy/Beane era.

Enough with expecting Josh to pull out miracles every week. How about a stout run game, another pass rusher and some players on the back 7 who can tackle?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1