Diggs traded to Texans for picks

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Well, that all depends upon who is correct, right?

Beane and company, by their actions, are saying "Cold Hard Football Facts: you're declining, Diggs, so we're willing to eat a bunch of cap this year in order to grab next year's 2nd while the grabbing is good."  Greg Cosell is saying flat out "tape shows he's not a #1 at this point, he's not elite, he's a good possession receiver".

The Texans, by taking him on as a 1 year rental AND sweetening his pot with more guaranteed money, are saying "you're still a #1, so we're gonna do whatever it takes to make you happy, because we think you can help us win this year."

My point was about this latest development of having the last three years of essentially non guaranteed money being waived is a better deal  for Diggs … not either team ..

If he doesn’t play well then he is getting cut regardless … if he does play well then he has the opportunity to negotiate for more money with a new team 

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

This is a very interesting spot for Diggs to bet on himself. He's going to be 31 this upcoming season so by the time he gets his next "bite at the apple" in free agency he's going to be 32. Now historically HOF caliber WR's at age 32 can and still do put up prime numbers but the "cliff" for many great WR's is around age 33/34. It's very rare for a WR no matter how great to put up fantastic stats at age 34 and almost never heard of for a 35 year old WR to put up 1000 yard seasons. 

I am some random guy on a message board and I am aware of this fact. So I am sure NFL GM's are also aware of this and would shy away from handing a 32 year old WR who became a problem for a good winning organization a huge bag of money. So I am not sure what Diggs long term goals are here? 

Lofton was 35 and topped 1000 yards with the Bills in 1991.  It can be done, but it is indeed rare. 

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

Was a fierce competitor for sure.

He wanted to win, no doubt about that. But I won't miss the way he dove to the ground or ran out of bounds, leaving valuable yardage on the table, just to avoid a hit. I understand wanting to make your career last, but I expect a fierce competitor to fight for yards.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

he’s not gone because he didn’t get along with the boss….

So he's gone due to performance, and all the sideline/off field/twitter stuff you mentioned really didnt matter? Which is it?

6 minutes ago, RangerDave said:

He wanted to win, no doubt about that. But I won't miss the way he dove to the ground or ran out of bounds, leaving valuable yardage on the table, just to avoid a hit. I understand wanting to make your career last, but I expect a fierce competitor to fight for yards.

He fought for yards PLENTY of times. Any time it mattered. Close to getting a 1st down, or fighting through 5 tackles to break away for a TD like against Miami last year.

When you already have the 1st down and a Safety is bearing down on you, better to get down, control the contact, and live to fight another day.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

14 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

My point was about this latest development of having the last three years of essentially non guaranteed money being waived is a better deal  for Diggs … not either team ..

If he doesn’t play well then he is getting cut regardless … if he does play well then he has the opportunity to negotiate for more money with a new team 

At 32 that will be a dicey path. 

he may come out ahead but staying put and being pleasant in Buffalo probably would’ve given him a higher probability of staying near his ceiling for earnings.

if he has a monster year he keeps loosely on track for his voided paychecks- maybe a modest increase but not huge. 

if he stumbles even a little he becomes a 1 year 10m a year type of guy next year quickly 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He fought for yards PLENTY of times. Any time it mattered. Close to getting a 1st down, or fighting through 5 tackles to break away for a TD like against Miami last year.

When you already have the 1st down and a Safety is bearing down on you, better to get down, control the contact, and live to fight another day.

I could find a way to excuse his pathetic lack of effort when the play wasn't going his way.  Claiming it didn't matter,, though it irritated me and was a bad look.  In part excused in my mind by his yet to be disclosed injury.

But what about all the times Diggs took himself out on those 3rd downs?  

Even with my made up injury for Diggs I couldn't come up with a rational explanation for those.  IF he was playing hurt why wouldn't he have timed it so he was in on 3rd downs.  That's inexcusable in my mind.  Brady had to want him out.  

Lemme ask this question:

do you think Beane Traded Diggs because he told Beane Josh doesn’t work hard enough and doesn’t have what it takes to win the superbowl ? FYI don’t agree with that but could that be what got him traded?

• Haha (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, RangerDave said:

Or when he would just stand at line of scrimmage on run plays.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I could find a way to excuse his pathetic lack of effort when the play wasn't going his way.  Claiming it didn't matter,, though it irritated me and was a bad look.  In part excused in my mind by his yet to be disclosed injury.

But what about all the times Diggs took himself out on those 3rd downs?  

Even with my made up injury for Diggs I couldn't come up with a rational explanation for those.  IF he was playing hurt why wouldn't he have timed it so he was in on 3rd downs.  That's inexcusable in my mind.  Brady had to want him out.  

Ah yes, the infamous "3rd down" game against the Eagles.

Broadcast Bias.

He played 87 out of 95 snaps in that game. He took some breathers. A couple of them were on 3rd down, and they happen to be when Nantz noticed and pointed out he wasnt on the field. It actually only happened like twice.

Time it? He doesnt know what plays Brady is calling ahead of time. Or if the 2nd down play is going to pick up the 1st or not.

Look, I'm not going to argue every gripe against the guy. I just think it's a bit ridiculous and unfair (and a bad look for the Mafia) to have fans bashing him on his way out like he had anything but an overall positive contribution to the team the entire time he was here. Ups and downs, sure.

The Bills had Stef Diggs from 2020 to 2024 and he directly made them much better during that entire time.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 26TrapDraw said:

Lemme ask this question:

do you think Beane Traded Diggs because he told Beane Josh doesn’t work hard enough and doesn’t have what it takes to win the superbowl ? FYI don’t agree with that but could that be what got him traded?

he got traded because he has declining skill and increasing drama 

If he were Justin Jefferson on the field he’d be here even if he talked about beanes mom 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Well...it depends upon what the team's goal is, No?

Diggs wasn't playing like a #1, and the Bills offense was #6 and we had to win out at the end of the year to make the playoffs, and as you point out....Diggs did not have great contributions in the playoff games.

So if the team wants to go any further this season, Beane has to *improve on* Digg's production in 2024.

The goal is to win the superbowl. That doesn't change in Allen's prime and you know that. 

My reply was to, if he doesn't find a #1,  2024 was a failure for Beane. Absorbing the loss of Diggs can happen in different ways and its reasonable to think it can. If Samuel is more effective than Davis, Kincaid's production grows, Knox has better than a 22/186 year, and there's something real there with Shakir - the gap from Diggs is already closing. 

Obviously with Diggs, there's no gap to close, and i think we were poised to be a problem with adding samuel. However many of us, were already wanting a replacement in the draft. 

If you can't tell,  I'm bullish on Samuel.  IMO, he's going to be a signing we're very happy with.  

Beane has to add something much different than a #1, IMO for 2024. Beane isn't done as he mentioned in the presser. 

• Eyeroll 1

Honestly guys, I'm feeling better and better by this. 

Diggs is not a number 1 anymore.  The Bills knew it and everyone else in the league knew it. 

Houston killed the rest of Diggs contract.  He will play one year then be a free agent. 

Houston literally traded us a second rounder to rent Diggs as a Wr3 for one season. 

Dumping Diggs now, while he still had value is better than dumping him next year with even less value for only a few million more. 

Get a stud WR and Allen will surrounded with fresh, hungry young players all around him. 

I'm feeling better and better about this move. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Georgia Bill said:

Lofton was 35 and topped 1000 yards with the Bills in 1991.  It can be done, but it is indeed rare. 

Lofton was also a world class athlete who won the NCAA long jump championship at Stanford as well as posting a 20.5 two hundred meter time. Blazing fast with incredible hops. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Lofton was also a world class athlete who won the NCAA long jump championship at Stanford as well as posting a 20.5 two hundred meter time. Blazing fast with incredible hops. 

It was also a different era when DBs weren’t world-class athletes. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Honestly guys, I'm feeling better and better by this. 

Diggs is not a number 1 anymore.  The Bills knew it and everyone else in the league knew it. 

Houston killed the rest of Diggs contract.  He will play one year then be a free agent. 

Houston literally traded us a second rounder to rent Diggs as a Wr3 for one season. 

Dumping Diggs now, while he still had value is better than dumping him next year with even less value for only a few million more. 

Get a stud WR and Allen will surrounded with fresh, hungry young players all around him. 

I'm feeling better and better about this move. 

1 year of diggs 50m in cap impact

0 years, 31m in cap impact and a second round pick 

theres definitely value 

• Like (+1) 2

Not Diggs related, but kind of. Yesterday’s Diggs trade made me wonder if a team would trade their superstar qb to the bears for Caleb Williams/pick 1. For example, if you were the chargers and harbaugh, would you trade Herbert to the bears for Caleb Williams? 

1 hour ago, 26TrapDraw said:

Lemme ask this question:

More likely he told Beane “I’ve been go to guy around here.  I see the wall handwriting next year that I’ll be second fiddle which will hurt my pride.  I’d rather be second fiddle somewhere else.  Help me please.”

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

So he's gone due to performance, and all the sideline/off field/twitter stuff you mentioned really didnt matter? Which is it?

I agree that he made some amazing plays and that the Bills were better with him for 4 years.  I just don't consider him a "fierce competitor" based on his giving up on certain plays, even if the first down was already made.  I'm glad we had him for those years, but I'm not crying that he's gone now.  He just frustrated me at times. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

So Tim Graham and Friends podcast

Graham tells a story about the aftermath of the Jets game last season.  Says how forlorn Josh Allen was after that game, taking the loss really hard.  Says when the media was allowed in, Josh was sitting there in his uniform still after the game, Kyle Allen trying to console him, and a steady stream of players coming up to him, patting him on the back, dapping him up, "we'll get them next time", Dion Dawkins "Seventeen for life, I Mean That".  Says they were all trying to pick the guy up, he had a towel draped over his head, just sitting there forlorn.  One thing Graham didn't include in his story because he didn't know what Stefon Diggs said to Allen, but Stefon Diggs came up and said something, and Josh Allen snapped at him "It's One *****in' Game!" and motioned like "I'm not talking to you here" and Diggs walked away and Josh sat there.  Says "maybe Stefon Diggs was saying something nice to him" but, he didn't snap at anybody else and there was a stream of players coming over to him.  Whatever Stefon Diggs said to him, Graham said Josh Allen wasn't having it.  

Also says Devin McCourty told him, having studied film for his NBC analyst gig heading into the season finale against the Dolphins, said "looks to me as though the Bills are trying to prove that they don't need him".  Graham says, "By definition, finishing the season 7 and 1, They Didn't."

Now, that [edit: the final game of the season against the Dolphins] was arguably Diggs best game of the 2nd half of the season, 7 receptions for 87 yds.  But, Shakir had 6 receptions for 107 yds, Kincaid had 7 for 84 yds.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Low Positive said:

It was also a different era when DBs weren’t world-class athletes. 

I can’t agree with that at all. That era had a number of world class athletes playing the position, especially at CB. 

16 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Diggs should be productive not in the slot where Brady had him playing often.  It's difficult to envision that wasn't a huge part of Diggs' discontent.  If he returns to his usual productivity it will tell us a lot.

The concern for Allen which I have yet to see anyone mention, apart from the fact that if he only averages what he did under Brady, he's headed for more of a 2019 passing season rather than his recent ones, is that he's not a high-percentage short passing QB.  That's far from his forte.  But those are the WRs he's now saddled with unless someone steps up to provide what Diggs has provided over the past four seasons.  Shakir seems to be out best prospect for that right now which isn't exactly reassuring.  

It's all but a given that we need to draft a WR at 28th, and possibly at 60th too, or maybe a trade up in the 2nd as a safety valve.  

While Diggs may not have put up great numbers under Brady, he still drew coverage of some sort.  As many that have covered this trade have pointed out, which should be obvious, we don't currently have a WR that's any opposing DC is concerned about in the matchup category.  That's an issue.  And all a mere three weeks prior to the Draft.  

Not sure why you keep trotting out this 'Diggs' numbers were down because he was in the slot' narrative.

Slot is easier. They put him there because he couldn't get off a jam to save his life.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Diggs wants to play with his brother in Dallas. That's why he agreed to void those years.

They were always voidable. All Houston did was move the very small amount of bonus money he had left on his contract to 2024.

Otherwise he was cutable almost any time with next to zero cap ramification.

The Houston restructure is a giant nothing burger.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, papazoid said:

Josh had better QB Rating when NOT throwing to Diggs

TBF, this doesn't account for the attention Diggs was likely receiving from the teams best corner with a safety shaded over his way also

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

TBF, this doesn't account for the attention Diggs was likely receiving from the teams best corner with a safety shaded over his way also

Teams actually say they don’t give extra attention to Diggs. Heard multiple teams say it. To be honest I don’t see teams do anything special to stop Diggs.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Teams actually say they don’t give extra attention to Diggs. Heard multiple teams say it. To be honest I don’t see teams do anything special to stop Diggs.

Even if this is true, he's still being covered by a team's top defensive back

The Bills receivers benefitted from Diggs being on the field. This is not even a discussion 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Even if this is true, he's still being covered by a team's top defensive back

The Bills receivers benefitted from Diggs being on the field. This is not even a discussion 

Maybe Diggs benefits from teams scared of Josh Allen? A lot of 2 deep vs Josh. A lot of LB’s spying Josh.

Diggs gets the best CB but teams rarely play man anymore. Especially vs Josh Allen. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

beane indicated, but did not divulge, there were more than one reason(s) for parting with diggs.

WHAT  CHANGED ?? diggs was a known diva before he got here.  they knew, like most wr1's he wanted alot of targets, they knew all his warts.

the unspoken final nail ? josh allen got tired of coddling him. that relationship soured. he gave his blessing to move on.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Maybe Diggs benefits from teams scared of Josh Allen? A lot of 2 deep vs Josh. A lot of LB’s spying Josh.

Diggs gets the best CB but teams rarely play man anymore. Especially vs Josh Allen. 

I wasn't talking about whether Diggs benefitted from Josh...that is absolutely true.

You responded to my post saying that Diggs helps his fellow receivers by drawing their best defensive back and in some cases safety help

I'm good with moving on from Diggs, but we don't need to try and make him out to be some kind of bum that we were better off without. I simply want people to acknowledge that he is a very good player that made this team better when he was on the field

4 minutes ago, papazoid said:

beane indicated, but did not divulge, there were more than one reason(s) for parting with diggs.

WHAT  CHANGED ?? diggs was a known diva before he got here.  they knew, like most wr1's he wanted alot of targets, they knew all his warts.

the unspoken final nail ? josh allen got tired of coddling him. that relationship soured. he gave his blessing to move on.

I believe it was time also, and I don't blame Josh one bit if he said he's had enough.

This can actually be something Josh can use to shut up all those that wanna act like Diggs made Josh Allen into the player he is, and that he'll be worse without him.

If Josh can ball out this season and the Bills once again win the division with at least 10 wins, then I would imagine that he would be in serious conversation for MVP

4 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

I wasn't talking about whether Diggs benefitted from Josh...that is absolutely true.

You responded to my post saying that Diggs helps his fellow receivers by drawing their best defensive back and in some cases safety help

I'm good with moving on from Diggs, but we don't need to try and make him out to be some kind of bum that we were better off without. I simply want people to acknowledge that he is a very good player that made this team better when he was on the field

I believe it was time also, and I don't blame Josh one bit if he said he's had enough.

This can actually be something Josh can use to shut up all those that wanna act like Diggs made Josh Allen into the player he is, and that he'll be worse without him.

If Josh can ball out this season and the Bills once again win the division with at least 10 wins, then I would imagine that he would be in serious conversation for MVP

Anyone making Diggs out to be a bum is just being a hater. Diggs was an elite route separator for Josh. He can still play at a high level.

But I don’t believe he ever made defenses change what they do. I don’t think he was ever that type of WR.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Somebody ..

He was controlled at $17-18 m the next three years … you don’t see him getting more money than that ?

no chance.  he may not be worth even that after his one season in Houston.

• Agree 1

Diggs is just another big mouth T.O cry baby, that will play on 5 teams before it’s done.. and got completely shut down every year against sneed.. I say see you brother 🫡 

• Dislike 1

9 hours ago, Beck Water said:

You know this how?

you think this was purely a personality conflict?

The guy tanked the majority of the season. Plus he's a head case.

The team felt his output wasn't worth the trouble

9 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

see above.  his performance meant they no longer had to tolerate his attitude.

If he was still putting up huge numbers, they would swallow their pride and put up with him, knowing he has negligible trade value.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Anyone making Diggs out to be a bum is just being a hater. Diggs was an elite route separator for Josh. He can still play at a high level.

But I don’t believe he ever made defenses change what they do. I don’t think he was ever that type of WR.

Men lie, women lie, numbers don't. And Diggs has some ***** numbers after week 6 last year 

• Eyeroll 1

On 4/3/2024 at 9:41 PM, Richard Noggin said:

Maybe that line of criticism should go away for EVERYONE. I respect the heck out of Diggs for enjoying life's carnal pleasures. He's a bit compulsive/competitive about it, for sure (Valentine's hotel reservations a few years back, for those who know), but I think we know he's a certain kind of guy. Look up that Minnesota locker room clip of his teammates individually naming him as the guy they wouldn't trust with their sisters (or something like that). 

Nah no thanks.  I reserve the right to judge anyone that sleeps with 100s of people in a year.  I'm glad a person like that isn't in our city anymore.

30 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

no chance.  he may not be worth even that after his one season in Houston.

Agreed.

Even if he some how manages to go 80+, for more than 1,000 yards and even 10 TDs (given the compliment of talent there, that would be a stretch) the most someone will offer him (MOST) is 15 million per, especially and primarily heading in to a 32 year old season and maybe just for 1 year.

However, he could choose to go to Dallas, the Rams or KC, where he likely wants to be…and most certainly not at the money I mentioned above.  In those instances shrink that to 6-8 million.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1