We have not taken a step back.

I think we’ve taken a step back @ S, IOL, Edge

- safety-  losing Poyer and Hyde will hurt imo.  Some think they were terrible last year, but I disagree.  Neither were terrible.  Neither were nearly as good as they have been in their careers, but they were still solid, yet unspectacular 

- IOL- we’ve currently taken a step back with Edwards in and Morse out.

-edge- we’ve currently taken a step back losing Floyd.   But I do think von will be close to what floyd was last year.  Call me crazy.   Floyd was 💩 in the last 1/3 of the season and playoffs.  We will likely address edge with one of our first 3 picks and we could end up being equal to or better getting after the QB next season.  

Once the roster is complete, i think we’ll be better @ WR, LB and possibly DT.  

-We’ll be better @ TE because Kincaid will be better in year 2.

- WR-  a draft pick plus samuel (and Hollins) >>> gabe, Harty, Sherfield.

- LB Milano returns-  Bernard and dorian with another year experience and morrow >> matawasteofrodterspotvich

-DT-  currently lesser due to lack of backup 3t, but Phillips and settle were somewhat negative entities and Linval was only playing because we were without daquan.  I think Beane will add a better backup 3T

——we’re better at QB (Mitch > Kyle), equal at CB (with potential to be better) and equal @ RB (Murray was a jag)

Overall, I don’t think we’re much worse off if worse at all.  Hopefully the improvement at WR will change the complexion of our offense. 

-additionally, the subtraction of Dorsey will be an improvement

jmo

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I read many posts saying this team has taken a step back and truth is we have not. Lets break it down.

Offense:

QB = Same

RB =  Same

WR = Improved. Samuel IS an  upgrade over Davis

OL =  Same/ slightly improved  Morse was old, and light in the butt. McGovern is younger and has played center and been prepping for this moment

TE =  Improved. Kincaid now has a year of experience and will hit the weight room

OC =  improved. I cant wait to see his own system implemented

So the offense is slightly improved.

Defense:

DL Same to slightly improved. We are all praying Von improves, and so far I feel we have improved our depth. We need to increase pass rush through the draft.

LB =  Improved. We will get Milano back and our other LB's greatly stepped up

CB: = Slightly Improved. Douglas now has time in our system and a full offseason to get it down. Benford has another year and hopefully the new DB coach can help Elam

Safety: = Slightly improved. This is the one position I expect hysterical wailing and gnashing of teeth on, but Hyde and Poyer were showing their age badly last year. I say the two new starters just have to be smart (keep your damn head and eyes up Rapp!) and be in the right position at the right time and tackle. 

Defense = Same to slightly improved

Do we still need WR, esp. Diggs replacement and an upgrade, yes. Do we still need to use draft picks on the Defense, Absolutely.  We are always looking to improve, but we are no where near as bad off as some fans, and media, want to make it out to be. 

There's a lot of projection going on here and a lot I disagree with:

RB: At best, it's a work in progress. In it's current form, to go from Cook, Harris, and Murray to Cook, Murray, and Ty, to Cook, Ty, Evans - that's a downgrade. I liked what Ty brought late in the season going from the Practice Squad to RB3. But I'm not ready to say Cook and Johnson is all we need there and we're good. I would prefer that we either Draft or sign another solid RB rather than just declaring Ty unquestioned RB2. He's earned a promotion to RB3 over the Practice Squad from last season. But RB2? Idk that he's earned that yet.

TE: It's literally the same group as last year. We hope Kincaid gets even better in Year 2 - but he was plenty good in Year 1. It's not a given that he's going to be better just bc he's entering Year 2. And I don't think he needs more muscle. He's not a standard TE and you don't want to play him as such. Keep him in the form that he's been successful. Added mass could be a detriment to him just as easily as it could be a plus.

OL: Again, that's a projection. While I do believe the things that make McGovern good are a better fit for Center and that, on paper, Edwards next to McGovern should benefit the run blocking game better than Morse next to McGovern - there's no saying this new combination is going to immediately gel as a unit. And when it comes to the depth we had last season vs. the depth we have right now - it's a clear downgrade.

OC: Brady in a vacuum should def be better than a guy that was fired. But who knows if given free reign that wherever he implements is going to be 100% compatible with Josh and the players we have? We won't know for sure until we see it in action.

DL: It's a definite downgrade right now on paper. DE is the same minus Leonard Floyd and replacing Shaq Lawson with Casey Toohill. At DT - we're missing 2 bodies. Johnson is an upgrade at 1T2 over Settle. But we don't have a 3T2 behind Oliver yet and nothing beyond the 3 we have. There's still additions that need to be made at DL before you can say we're even in the same shape.

CB: It's a downgrade right now. To call it in an improvement is another projection. We're currently going from Douglas, Benford, Dane, and Elam on the Boundary to Douglas, Benford, Elam, and... I don't know - Ingram? You hope Elam takes a step forward this year. But if he doesn't, we no longer have a steady hand like Dane to bail us out if Douglas and/or Benford go down.

S: Poyer and Hyde weren't Poyer and Hyde last season. I'm higher than most on Edwards ability to start and be successful for us. But in Rapp and Edwards - you've got two guys who have some flaws and are considered to be marginal starters. They've also never played with each other and will take some time to get comfortable with each other. Poyer and Hyde themselves didn't start off being the absolute unit they came to be. And much like CB - our depth has taken a hit. Rapp was a solid 3rd option last season. This year, so far, we have Lewis and Hamlin behind Rapp and Edwards.

Long story short, while I agree that the media is overblowing how badly the cap hit us and what we'll be next year bc of it - there's a lot of moving parts where there's no guarantee that things are just going to immediately work out.

Positions like OL and Safety may or may not see immediate compatibility. The depth at some positions has taken a definitive hit. And banking that players are going to take a step up in Year 2, players in bigger roles are going to flourish, and that talented Rookies are going to be studs right out of the gate are not guarantees.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I don't agree on all points, but it is true that the Bills have NOT taken a step back. I expect them to be contenders once again. Hopefully they land an offensive difference maker in the draft and hit the ground running this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

We had a really good team last season.  I thought it was the best heading INTO the season that we've had in the JA era.  After the weird Jets debacle, we looked it, too.

Injuries hit us hard in a short couple of weeks.  We kind of got back on track, but never looked as dominant as we did prior to that. And then injuries hit us again at the end.

Playoff success this year will be more about staying healthy than the quality of the team.  The latter is there just as much as it was last year.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

There's a lot of projection going on here and a lot I disagree with:

RB: At best, it's a work in progress. In it's current form, to go from Cook, Harris, and Murray to Cook, Murray, and Ty, to Cook, Ty, Evans - that's a downgrade. I liked what Ty brought late in the season going from the Practice Squad to RB3. But I'm not ready to say Cook and Johnson is all we need there and we're good. I would prefer that we either Draft or sign another solid RB rather than just declaring Ty unquestioned RB2. He's earned a promotion to RB3 over the Practice Squad from last season. But RB2? Idk that he's earned that yet.

TE: It's literally the same group as last year. We hope Kincaid gets even better in Year 2 - but he was plenty good in Year 1. It's not a given that he's going to be better just bc he's entering Year 2. And I don't think he needs more muscle. He's not a standard TE and you don't want to play him as such. Keep him in the form that he's been successful. Added mass could be a detriment to him just as easily as it could be a plus.

OL: Again, that's a projection. While I do believe the things that make McGovern good are a better fit for Center and that, on paper, Edwards next to McGovern should benefit the run blocking game better than Morse next to McGovern - there's no saying this new combination is going to immediately gel as a unit. And when it comes to the depth we had last season vs. the depth we have right now - it's a clear downgrade.

OC: Brady in a vacuum should def be better than a guy that was fired. But who knows if given free reign that wherever he implements is going to be 100% compatible with Josh and the players we have? We won't know for sure until we see it in action.

DL: It's a definite downgrade right now on paper. DE is the same minus Leonard Floyd and replacing Shaq Lawson with Casey Toohill. At DT - we're missing 2 bodies. Johnson is an upgrade at 1T2 over Settle. But we don't have a 3T2 behind Oliver yet and nothing beyond the 3 we have. There's still additions that need to be made at DL before you can say we're even in the same shape.

CB: It's a downgrade right now. To call it in an improvement is another projection. We're currently going from Douglas, Benford, Dane, and Elam on the Boundary to Douglas, Benford, Elam, and... I don't know - Ingram? You hope Elam takes a step forward this year. But if he doesn't, we no longer have a steady hand like Dane to bail us out if Douglas and/or Benford go down.

S: Poyer and Hyde weren't Poyer and Hyde last season. I'm higher than most on Edwards ability to start and be successful for us. But in Rapp and Edwards - you've got two guys who have some flaws and are considered to be marginal starters. They've also never played with each other and will take some time to get comfortable with each other. Poyer and Hyde themselves didn't start off being the absolute unit they came to be. And much like CB - our depth has taken a hit. Rapp was a solid 3rd option last season. This year, so far, we have Lewis and Hamlin behind Rapp and Edwards.

Long story short, while I agree that the media is overblowing how badly the cap hit us and what we'll be next year bc of it - there's a lot of moving parts where there's no guarantee that things are just going to immediately work out.

Positions like OL and Safety may or may not see immediate compatibility. The depth at some positions has taken a definitive hit. And banking that players are going to take a step up in Year 2, players in bigger roles are going to flourish, and that talented Rookies are going to be studs right out of the gate are not guarantees.

This is all true, I think, but I also believe that if Beane does a reasonable job in the draft, and adds a few dust settles post-draft FAs once Tre's 6/1 money kicks in, the team should be very competitive. RB, S, OL, DT, all that can credibly be improved in the draft. It's also a pretty good draft at CB, so you could find some depth mid-rounds. I don't think edge is likely to be improved much, and if they reach, it's a bad sign, imo. WR early is the big ticket item for a lot of us, and I sure hope Beane prioritizes a playmaker there. Then you just have to hope Brady is up to the job, and Josh thrives with him as OC.

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

This is all true, I think, but I also believe that if Beane does a reasonable job in the draft, and adds a few dust settles post-draft FAs once Tre's 6/1 money kicks in, the team should be very competitive. RB, S, OL, DT, all that can credibly be improved in the draft. It's also a pretty good draft at CB, so you could find some depth mid-rounds. I don't think edge is likely to be improved much, and if they reach, it's a bad sign, imo. WR early is the big ticket item for a lot of us, and I sure hope Beane prioritizes a playmaker there. Then you just have to hope Brady is up to the job, and Josh thrives with him as OC.

I think it's possible, if not likely that Defensive End is addressed the same way it was last year. Looking over the list of Defensive Ends still available (and possibly who's let go after the Draft) - I think there's a good chance someone will be available when Tre's money comes in. Considering the lack of depth in the Draft and where we're picking, DE seems like a sound place to allocate some of Tre's money when it comes in.

It wouldn't surprise me if RB is also handled the same way. I think this time around they will Draft a guy and it wouldn't shock me if it were something that they took higher than expected. But if it doesn't fall the way they'd like, I could see him calling up a RB on Draft Day to play the same "let us know if you're in or we'll take a RB here" game we played with Murray last season.

All in all, I think he's done a good job and will have everything covered when it's all said and done. But to say we're the same or improved in certain spots already is putting the carriage before the horse a bit. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

I get the sentiments that we haven't taken a step forward either - and agree.  But we didn't need to.

We're as good as anyone.  Differences are marginal.  

We need to figure out how to win playoff games.  It has more to do w/ strategy & psychology than it does w/ talent.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think this is right around 8th.... as I said yesterday I think probably 5th or 6th best in the AFC and then there is San Fran, Detroit and possibly still Philly in the NFC. It is definitely a step back on where the roster has been. But there is still a chance to change that if they can crush the draft. But they need like a 2017 Saints type draft and they don't have the 6 picks in the first 103 that the Saints had and nailed that year.

You made me use Google on my own to look up that 2017 Saints draft. How could you. 

First four picks (2 on day one and 2 on day two) were all immediate, important contributors. Really made a difference. Last three picks eventually became legitimate contributors (especially for day three picks), but the best of that bunch, Trey Hendrickson, only finally did so in year four and then left in FA to continue that level of production elsewhere. 100% of picks became NFL contributors. Unusually successful haul. Interesting that many of the prospects had injury histories, and all of them overcame those concerns.

9 hours ago, 90sBills said:

It matters because these playoffs exits have proven that just having Allen is not enough. He needs help. 

Look what he did with decent NFL WRs in recent years. Imagine what he could do with a day one talent (two if you include Kincaid). 

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

Then we should compare ourselves to the playoff teams that keep showing us the door.

Have we closed the gap between us and KC by cutting Mitch Morse and moving McGovern to center and making Rapp a starting safety?

No. Obviously not.

KC has similarly taken their roster/cap medicine and come out the other side even more successful. Rebooting their OL, starting over at WR, and completely overhauling their secondary, didn't set them back when it mattered most. It was necessary, in fact, to keep the cap from becoming a problem. 

The Bills just did their own roster reset. Had to happen. Now we'll see if they can likewise get development and production out of cheaper, younger players. 

1 minute ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

It actually might be from the last two seasons.  

It might be better than Jaquan Johnson and Damar Hamlin - sure. But Hyde and Poyer played most of last year and while they were not the force of old people now seem to be rewriting history as if they were liabilities.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

McGovern an upgrade at center?

He was not good as a guard and people expect him to be a good center?

Has he even played much center in the NFL? He was a center in college his sophomore year then moved to guard. 

If that's the plan for next season it's a potential disaster imo. 

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

McGovern an upgrade at center?

He was not good as a guard and people expect him to be a good center?

Has he even played much center in the NFL? He was a center in college his sophomore year then moved to guard. 

If that's the plan for next season it's a potential disaster imo. 

He was good as a guard.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes he was.

You are welcome to your opinion and I hope he is a good center.

I'm not confident that the line will be as good as last year, and definitely not confident they can stay healthy all season like last year.

I consider last year's line somewhere in the middle....average.

Average is the same as really good for the Bills...

Just now, Turk71 said:

You are welcome to your opinion and I hope he is a good center.

I'm not confident that the line will be as good as last year, and definitely not confident they can stay healthy all season like last year.

I consider last year's line somewhere in the middle....average.

Average is the same as really good for the Bills...

He was good at guard. I don't think you can just say "he will be as good at center" it needs to be proven. He has played it some though and Edwards who would come in at guard in that scenario started at guard on a Superbowl team. And there is the potential for year 2 growth from Torrence. I see a route to the line being better (unlike safety where I see no route) but it shouldn't be considered a slam dunk that it is and if they get a shot at a high calibre tackle early they should take them IMO and work out the best 5 from there.

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He was good at guard. I don't think you can just say "he will be as good at center" it needs to be proven. He has played it some though and Edwards who would come in at guard in that scenario started at guard on a Superbowl team. And there is the potential for year 2 growth from Torrence. I see a route to the line being better (unlike safety where I see no route) but it shouldn't be considered a slam dunk that it is and if they get a shot at a high calibre tackle early they should take them IMO and work out the best 5 from there.

I'm hoping Edwards is an upgrade at guard and I'm crossing my fingers for Torrence to progress rapidly.  The center and depth are my biggest concerns. I have to admit, your insistence that he was good gives me a little more hope, even if I don't share such a high opinion.

I'd like the line to keep getting better 

Edited by Turk71

Just now, Turk71 said:

I'm hoping Edwards is an upgrade at guard and I'm crossing my fingers for Torrence to progress rapidly.  The center and depth are my biggest concerns. I have to admit, your insistence that he was good gives me a little more hope, even if I don't share such a high opinion.

I'd like the line to keep getting better 

McGovern was better than Torrence, for sure. Torrence was a beast for the first 6 weeks but his performance dropped off after that. He was slightly below average overall but not bad for a rookie and with a full offseason in an NFL strength and conditioning programme and hopefully a bit of technique work on his weakness against speed rushers to his inside shoulder (which teams just kept going at once it was on film) I'm hopeful he can take a step and sustain his top level of performance for a full year. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, FireChans said:

I am not really sure why folks care so much about trying to pretend the Bills are a better football. We still have Josh. It doesn't really matter.

How Bills fans, that suffered through the drought and Brady kicking our teeth in every year, have somehow forgotten that a great QB matters infinitely more than the talent level of the other 52 spots is one of life's biggest mysteries.

Then hopefully the melon farmer can get it done, eh?

Because we know nobody else on the roster is gonna do it.

19 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I read many posts saying this team has taken a step back and truth is we have not. Lets break it down.

Offense:

QB = Same

RB =  Same

OL =  Same/ slightly improved  Morse was old, and light in the butt. McGovern is younger and has played center and been prepping for this moment

TE =  Improved. Kincaid now has a year of experience and will hit the weight room

Defense:

DL Same to slightly improved. We are all praying Von improves, and so far I feel we have improved our depth. We need to increase pass rush through the draft.

CB: = Slightly Improved. Douglas now has time in our system and a full offseason to get it down. Benford has another year and hopefully the new DB coach can help Elam

Safety: = Slightly improved. This is the one position I expect hysterical wailing and gnashing of teeth on, but Hyde and Poyer were showing their age badly last year. I say the two new starters just have to be smart (keep your damn head and eyes up Rapp!) and be in the right position at the right time and tackle. 

Do we still need WR, esp. Diggs replacement and an upgrade, yes. Do we still need to use draft picks on the Defense, Absolutely.  We are always looking to improve, but we are no where near as bad off as some fans, and media, want to make it out to be. 

I agree about safety.  As much as we all love Poyer and Hyde they were slowing down.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Offense:

QB = Same

RB =  Same

Defense:

Sooner, I agree with most of what you wrote, although still a bit nervous will it all come together.  Hopefully everyone read the cap space article from Beane’s interview yesterday as it’s in today’s news on the main page.  We basically have $7 mil, which is basically what’s needed for the draft and an emergency fund.  We’ll get 10 mil. In June from Tre’s release.  I don’t know if we could wait to use that on free agents going on the PS or use now.  The point is we have to rely on the draft for filling the gaps.

Some people think Beane is not a good drat person, but that is not a definite as some posters cherry pick the draft misses.  It’s true he’s missed in some and he’s also hit on some of the later picks.

The question needs to be "Are we improving our roster". Let's face it, if we want to get to the Super Bowl our roster has to improve, not remain at the same level.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I agree about safety.  As much as we all love Poyer and Hyde they were slowing down.

Agreed.  For some there’s always something to worry about.  A couple mid-30 year old safeties, one who signed for a 1 year $2m deal and the other who’d probably be lucky to get that doesn’t register high on the list.  Replacing Floyd’s production seems like more legitimate gripe but he seemed to really tail off at end of year after he blew the Denver game.  Even though Morse was getting up there in age, any time you re-shuffle an O-Line that was playing well is a concern and Morse did get scooped up right away for decent money.  Gonna have to just trust McBeane on that one.  

Of course we’ve taken a step back!  Haven’t  you seen we have a thread on here on it’s 16th page about how Josh didn’t rent a trailer in the off season to live outside the Bills practice facility and hasn’t worked on his pass rush skills to help the defense. So I don’t see where your optimism is coming from. 

21 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Offense:

QB = Same

RB =  Same

Defense:

Like the optimism, but there is a lot of praying and hoping going on in your post. If we are praying and hoping - we are cooked.

I hope you are correct with your dream.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with this.  I don't see how we can just assume center is taken care of.  Guy hasn't played there, so we simply can't know.  And I don't think we can assume much of anything about Edwards, either.  It all might work out, it makes sense, I get it, but it's two changes on the offensive line, two changes from a line that performed well last season.   

And I absolutely agree about safety.   I don't see how they've gotten better there.  Rapp wasn't better last season than either of the two vets, and I don't think Edwards was either.   I'm one who believes more help is coming, and it won't be a rookie.  

• Agree 1

talk to me mid October, I'll let you know what steps we've taken backwards or forwards... Unitl then nobody here knows. They have a feeling or an opinion but do not know

Center, Safety and Defensive End are the three biggest question marks.  We lost experience and leadership in those position and there is no guarantee that the replacements can fill that void.

McDermott has a strategy of finding veteran at low prices in free agency after being silent on Day 1.  Given the cap situation, I was pleasantly surprised with who we brought in.  Now we see if they fit the system.  Maybe our signings are the next Beasley, Hyde or Poyer.  Maybe they end up replacement level or worse like Saffold, Addison or Sherfield.   Whether or not we took a step back depends on what our signings bring to the table.  The Free agent signings over the last 7 years are mixed in level of success, so are the drafts for that matter.  We have no way of knowing how it pans out until the season.

Edited by dgrochester55

22 hours ago, NI Bills Fan said:

I agree to an extent and like the positivity, but find it hard to agree on the D Line and safety positions, we need a pass rush threat at DE (to replace Floyd) and a bit more at safety before I could say we've actually improved there.

We do.  His name is Von Miller.

😆  Nah, I'm just kidding, brother. I just thought you'd like that on a Monday morning.

• Haha (+1) 1

i agree we have not taken a step back.....

but neither has half the league...

in fact, i think the 2024 team will be better than 2023 and beane isn't even done improving.

need to wait and see how this things shake out for everyone.

but according to neutral las vegas betting odds....bills currently have the 4th best chance to win it....which is pretty darn good, but probably where we were last year.

Not real sure about the LB depth . I heard Greg Cosell say on 1 Bills Live that the LB they picked up from Philly was not really good last year, hopefully with the coaches here he can improve but is more than likely just a ST's & depth player .

If one of the starters go down though if he is as bad as Cosell says then he could be a player to worry about .