Hunter Renfrow to be released

10 minutes ago, Process said:

Screenshot_20240313-083754.png

I’m no Renfrow fan, but his stats stated another way are

Carr 🤮

Carr, Stidham 🤮🤮

Garoppolo, O’Connell, Hoyer 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

I would love to have him, fixes the return issue along with a vet for the slot.  I’d prefer Shakir WIN the job, but I don’t want anything handed to anyone on this roster.  Gabe Davis taking the job by default was bad enough, don’t need to watch that again.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, transient said:

I’m no Renfrow fan, but his stats stated another way are

Carr 🤮

Carr, Stidham 🤮🤮

Garoppolo, O’Connell, Hoyer 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Exactly.  What can he do with Allen

4 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Is it bad to have two players who can play in the slot?

Shakir and Kincaid are the slot players here. If you add a guy to the WR mix as the #4, it should be a pure speed guy, Quez Watkins, Andy Isabella, Scotty Miller, Mecole Hardman. I know Renfrow brings a lunchpail, but he doesn't move the needle at all. 

Renfrow would be a great addition to WR room. I'd love him at the right price. 

Yes, he's not the #2 WR with jets and everything we need. My belief is the only way to find that guy is via the draft. 

But we need solid depth as well, and Renfrow is a good one. 100 catch sure handed possession guys are invaluable, and Renfrow can be that. 

You still draft a guy fellas, no one is saying Hunter is the solution. 

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Shakir and Kincaid are the slot players here. If you add a guy to the WR mix as the #4, it should be a pure speed guy, Quez Watkins, Andy Isabella, Scotty Miller, Mecole Hardman. I know Renfrow brings a lunchpail, but he doesn't move the needle at all. 

Ok, but who is our back-up slot WR? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Renfrow could come at a super cheap 1 year deal to play with Allen and boost his stats for a better payday down the road.

This. He showed some fantastic route running and hands with a competent QB. 

When everyone else zigs, you zag. Think of him is excellent depth behind Shakir, our new WR2, and Diggs in case of injury.

Not sure why he fell out of favor with the Raiders. You don't get 100 receptions in a season by being a bad player. A mix of injuries to just being in the doghouse. Not sure why. I'd take him on a 1 year deal

• Like (+1) 1

He's been one of best route runners in short yardage situations.  He's an interesting prospect for the Bills but probably redundant with Shakir.  That being said, if he was cheapish I don't think it's the worst idea.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Ok, but who is our back-up slot WR? 

The #4. Beane spoke about the 4 spot last year being a guy who can play in the slot, can play outside, and is a vertical threat. That's what they brought in Harty for. He was the 4 who also doubled as a backup slot. A guy like Renfrow is redundant and offers pretty much nothing outside of slot play. I don't think you need a straight backup slot. You also have Kincaid who plays some slot. Renfrow would serve no purpose on this roster IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The #4. Beane spoke about the 4 spot last year being a guy who can play in the slot, can play outside, and is a vertical threat. That's what they brought in Harty for. He was the 4 who also doubled as a backup slot. A guy like Renfrow is redundant and offers pretty much nothing outside of slot play. I don't think you need a straight backup slot. You also have Kincaid who plays some slot. Renfrow would serve no purpose on this roster IMO. 

Fair enough. Do you have a good source for slot vs wide reps?

We have three guys signed! How many WR’s do you think Beane is going to draft? Even if he takes two in the draft there is no way we’re going into the season with that much unproven talent and depth.

As far as Shakir being a slot guy, he really wasn’t a slot guy last year. He lined up wide most of his reps. I would take Renfro in a second and let the best player win the starting position and the other be depth. 

14 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Fair enough. Do you have a good source for slot vs wide reps?

Renfrow was in the slot for 86.5% of his snaps in 2023. 

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/hunter-renfrow/

A guy like Hardman played 56% of his snaps in the slot. Quez Watkins was a 63% guy. So those guys have some flex ability. 

Just for data purposes, Kincaid played 50% of his snaps from the slot and Shakir played 69%. Harty was 50%. 

Isaiah Mckenzie in the 4 role in 2021 played in the slot 43% of the time, while that same year, the pure slot Beasley was there for 82% of his snaps. 

I think we will see Shakir's snaps go up some in the slot. This team needs an outside starter #2. They also need what Beane calls his 4, that guy who can play inside and outside and help on special teams. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, vtnatefootball11 said:

We actually don't have anyone with Renfrow's skill set.

Sure do, better than with Shakir.  So answer remains No.  Go get WRs in the Generational WR Draft.

• Disagree 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Sure do, better than with Shakir.  So answer remains No.  Go get WRs in the Generational WR Draft.

I absolutely want the Bills to take an outside WR in the first (and another soon after), but Shakir is not strictly a slot guy and we don't have anyone with Renfrow's route running ability, not even close.  Don't get lazy just comparing height, Shakir and Renfrow are very different receivers. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

I absolutely want the Bills to take an outside WR in the first (and another soon after), but Shakir is not strictly a slot guy and we don't have anyone with Renfrow's route running ability, not even close.  Don't get lazy just comparing height, Shakir and Renfrow are very different receivers. 

Diggs is the BEST route runner in the NFL.  Nice Try.  Clearly you do not watch Shakir route running either.  I know Shakir is Better than Renfrow.  

• Agree 1

Diggs plays all over the field and is a great route runner no doubt, but he's not the best in the NFL, cmon man have some objectivity.  Shakir is a good route runner as well (not better than Renfrow, you clearly haven't watched much of him) but I'm talking about adding pure slot receiver, elite route runner, someone who always gets open. We haven't had it since Beasley, it's a nice security blanket for Josh and gives us depth so we aren't banking on just Diggs/Shakir/rookie.  

• Agree 1