Bills re-signing Edwards 2yr/$6M

I already liked the Bates trade, but now I REALLY like it.

Between VanDemark, Edwards, and Alec Anderson, our OL depth is off to a good start.

As for Edwards...any time you can sign a capable guard (who also essentially plays tight end in jumbo sets) to a fair deal, it's always a good day.

Congrats, David "TE3" Edwards.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 11

• BuffaloBillyG changed the title to Bills re-signing Edwards 2yr/$6M

We pretty much have our 8 Gameday Active OL set on March 6th. 

Really nice group.  Talented across the board.  Good mix of veteran and youth on the starting line, with a starting caliber veteran depth OG/Jumbo TE and two developmental players that the staff is high on that are now entering multiple years in the system.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

What's the story with this guy?  Just saw that he played offensive snaps in 15 regular season games and both postseason games but never more than 37% of them.  Why was there a rotation at Guard?  I've never heard of that.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Billl said:

What's the story with this guy?  Just saw that he played offensive snaps in 15 regular season games and both postseason games but never more than 37% of them.  Why was there a rotation at Guard?  I've never heard of that.

Bills used him as their OL6/Jumbo TE in heavy packages last year.  

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Billl said:

There wasn't.

He played a handful of snaps for McGovern when he got dinged up here and there and had to come out. Played a few games late in games we had well in hand. Bulk of his snaps came and "6th OL/TE eligible" role. He's very solid at that spot.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Bills used him as their OL6/Jumbo TE in heavy packages last year.  

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

There wasn't.

He played a handful of snaps for McGovern when he got dinged up here and there and had to come out. Played a few games late in games we had well in hand. Bulk of his snaps came and "6th OL/TE eligible" role. He's very solid at that spot.

That makes sense.  I should have realized that given that I watched Buffalo jam it down the Chiefs' throat in the first half of the divisional round using an extra lineman.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, frostbitmic said:

Will he be the backup Center as well as the #3 Guard ? ... IIRC he backed up Bates there last year.

He will be their primary guard backup and the jumbo package tackle. I imagine Alec Anderson and a draft pick will end up battling out for backup center. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Good, it’s the most important unit in support of our QB1. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Process said:

Unlike Bates he actually plays, plus provides great depth. Seems like nice value, no?

We are not talking huge numbers here. But if we are cap strapped and counting pennies to sign at other positions then I let Edwards walk and use a rookie or vet minimum guy be our OL depth and extra OL. But at most its like a $1.3M overpay. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I was about to say, how is it an overpay? 

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think it is an overapy. 

43 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

https://overthecap.com/player/david-edwards/7960

For all intents and purposes it's a 1 year deal. $2.3M cap hit in 2024, $875K dead cap hit in 2025.

A bit of an overpay but I'm fine with it.

I see both sides. On the surface, it is slightly rich for a backup IOL. Ideally, those guys are young guys making nothing. If they held on to Jack Anderson or Nick Broeker, they would be minimum guys who are fine as depth. At the same time, I think Edwards is a premier backup because he could easily start for a lot of teams, has a ton of experience, and is still young. He also got a decent amount of burn as that heavy H back. You also have two starting OL in Torrence and Brown who make nothing, so it makes sense to spend some money on a guy who was reliable last year and premier depth. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I see both sides. On the surface, it is slightly rich for a backup IOL. Ideally, those guys are young guys making nothing. If they held on to Jack Anderson or Nick Broeker, they would be minimum guys who are fine as depth. At the same time, I think Edwards is a premier backup because he could easily start for a lot of teams, has a ton of experience, and is still young. He also got a decent amount of burn as that heavy H back. You also have two starting OL in Torrence and Brown who make nothing, so it makes sense to spend some money on a guy who was reliable last year and premier depth. 

Yeah. It’s not an overpay at all for a depth piece like Edwards. Yeah they could’ve gone with a minimum salary guy or rookie but now you’re sacrificing experience and/or talent.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billl said:

It's common to spell out players if they need a rest. Also for use in Jumbo packages.

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

As of today, yes. Let's see by September.

Really?  I thought they had Alec Anderson play C in preseason and that he would now be Morse’s backup.

Time will tell. 

Edited by freddyjj

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Explains the Bates move - solid signing and good for the Bills to pick up draft capital.  The o-line has been a bright spot.

I dont think its a coincidence that we saw improvement on the OL in year 2 of Kromers return

• Like (+1) 1

He is the prefered back up over Bates imo.  Center will be addressed at some point in the draft I assume.  Edwards is a starting caliber guard.  Not Mcgovern or Torrence but solid. 

1 hour ago, Billl said:

He came in when the Bills went with a big package as, basically, a big blocking tight end.