Will your opinion of McD change if we make the Super Bowl…. And lose

FireChans

Does your opinion of McD change with an SB loss?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Does your opinion of McD change with an SB loss?

So let’s fast forward to February 2025. The Bills either beat the Chiefs in a nail biter or somehow escape the bracket without having to face them. They win the AFCCG against the Texans or Ravens or whoever.

Then we get to the big one. It’s versus the Eagles or the Cowboys (lol). And it’s a competitive game. A couple plays don’t go our way (defensively, turnovers whatever) and we lose. 

Do we still think Sean McDermott is a loser wasting our golden boys’ prime? Or is he still a good, but unlucky, coach?

Edited by FireChans
  • Dislike 2

It's all about winning the big games.  To this point, he has performed progressively worse the bigger the moments get.  Until he wins in the biggest moments, I won't have an ounce of faith that he can.  If he leads this team to a Super Bowl win, I will be the first in line for my plate of crow.  I just have no reason to believe he will ever overcome his panic in the biggest situations enough to win one.  I pray that I am wrong, though.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

54 minutes ago, sven233 said:

It's all about winning the big games.  To this point, he has performed progressively worse the bigger the moments get.  Until he wins in the biggest moments, I won't have an ounce of faith that he can.  If he leads this team to a Super Bowl win, I will be the first in line for my plate of crow.  I just have no reason to believe he will ever overcome his panic in the biggest situations enough to win one.  I pray that I am wrong, though.

Does the AFCCG become less of a big game because he wins it though?

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'll make a bold statement. People will for the most part make excuses to support their current thinking. McDermott wins one; many detractors will say it was luck. He wins two it will be "Josh won in spite of him being the coach".  He wins 3 and it'll be some other reasoning. 

People get way too dug into their opinions. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

How about the Bills get past the Divisional round before projecting what 'they' will think of McD if he loses a SB. Why are you so worried about what people think about McD anyway

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'll make a bold statement. People will for the most part make excuses to support their current thinking. McDermott wins one; many detractors will say it was luck. He wins two it will be "Josh won in spite of him being the coach".  He wins 3 and it'll be some other reasoning. 

You're bold, Buffalo Billy.

People get way too dug into their opinions?

While you're telling us what people will say after McD wins his 2nd and 3rd SBs? 🤣

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

So let’s fast forward to February 2024. The Bills either beat the Chiefs in a nail biter or somehow escape the bracket without having to face them. They win the AFCCG against the Texans or Ravens or whoever.

Then we get to the big one. It’s versus the Eagles or the Cowboys (lol). And it’s a competitive game. A couple plays don’t go our way (defensively, turnovers whatever) and we lose. 

Do we still think Sean McDermott is a loser wasting our golden boys’ prime? Or is he still a good, but unlucky, coach?

No I will still blame you.

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

If he wins 3 Bills fans will be proclaiming him greater than Lombardi, Belichek, and Reid combined 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

You lost me at ‘wins two’ superbowls. Couldn’t stop laughing. 

• Haha (+1) 3

58 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Ahhh, we call that the “Let’s see how Mahomes does without Tyreek” phenomenon. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Nothing changes amongst those who have no ability to see a wider picture, they are the ones who will complain about something or another even if we win it all…, I would see it as the next step forward in some fashion or another, 😁👍

• Like (+1) 2

It would still be significant forward progress. 

For me, it would depend on how/why we lost the SB. 

A fake punt call giving the ball to the worst player on the active roster would want me to have him fired. 

Not that he’d ever do that in a post season game. 

• Haha (+1) 6

On its own?  Can't answer, too vague.  How good were the Bills?  How about their opponent?  What was the final score?  Were there turnovers (Buf turns the ball over four times, that's not on the coach).  Were we in position for a winning chip-shot FG we shanked.  Did McD blow the game through poor clock management?  Did he play it too safe and punt on 4th and 3 with one minute left?

Too many variables.

Since McBeane got here, this organization has been very consistent. Currently they're consistent at losing 1 or 2 games before the Super Bowl. In your hypothetical scenario where they make the Super Bowl, that would be an improvement, so my opinion of McD would either stay the same or improve. If he figures out how to get to the Super Bowl, I assume he would eventually figure out how to win it. The guy still has a long coaching career ahead of him if he wants it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

It would still be significant forward progress. 

For me, it would depend on how/why we lost the SB. 

A fake punt call giving the ball to the worst player on the active roster would want me to have him fired. 

Not that he’d ever do that in a post season game. 

Forward progress isn't even really a standard here though, let alone significant. 

We've had 3 straight Division Round exits in a row and half the fanbase wants him back.

He's got it made here, he doesn't have to do or show anything more. 

• Agree 1

If he gets to one he will have gone further than I thought he could. I would have to recognize that and would be happy to do so. 

58 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Forward progress isn't even really a standard here though, let alone significant. 

We've had 3 straight Division Round exits in a row and half the fanbase wants him back.

He's got it made here, he doesn't have to do or show anything more. 

He needs to be better that the AFC east from what it appears 

I was an econ major in college. The answer is either it goes up, goes down, or in most cases it depends. 

In this case it depends. If he gets to the SuperBowl and his defense collapses again, there is a 13 second repeat, or he botches the game management then I would fire him and hire Belichick the next day. 

If they just lose and it is not coaching related, then he comes back for 2025. 

The Tony Dungy parallels with this guy are just so disheartening. It will take Allen willing this team to a playoff run and SuperBowl  championship to overcome McDermott.  Then McDermott can thank his God like Dungy did even though we all know this team is all about our savior Josh Allen!

There is nothing that the man could do to make these Arm chair QB's & Head coaches consider him a winner .

Like others if he came over gave them a bar of gold they would complain it isn't shiny enough, if he washed their car they would tell him how many spots he missed, And if he gave them a beer it wouldn't be cold enough .

But when he does win a Super Bowl i'm going to write a post in all caps that tells them all to go P**S up a rope while having a video of Toby Keith's song How Do You Like Me Now !!

GO BILLS !!!!! 

15 hours ago, FireChans said:

So let’s fast forward to February 2025. The Bills either beat the Chiefs in a nail biter or somehow escape the bracket without having to face them. They win the AFCCG against the Texans or Ravens or whoever.

I'll put this in terms that anyone can understand.  McDermott should achieve, at least once, what Bill Belichick and Andy Reid have done multiple times: a Super Bowl victory. If he doesn't, he's no better than any other coach the Bills have had.  Right now, to me, he's the Marvin Lewis of Marty Schottenheimers, until complete post season success is achieved.  A bit harsh of me?  Yep.

19 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Disagree. Winning cures all. If the Bills finally win it, then that will set off an epic celebration all around WNY and McDermott would instantly become the greatest HC in Bills history.

6 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I was an econ major in college. The answer is either it goes up, goes down, or in most cases it depends. 

In this case it depends. If he gets to the SuperBowl and his defense collapses again, there is a 13 second repeat, or he botches the game management then I would fire him and hire Belichick the next day. 

If they just lose and it is not coaching related, then he comes back for 2025. 

The Tony Dungy parallels with this guy are just so disheartening. It will take Allen willing this team to a playoff run and SuperBowl  championship to overcome McDermott.  Then McDermott can thank his God like Dungy did even though we all know this team is all about our savior Josh Allen!

I minored in Latin American literature and the answer is nothing will change

• Haha (+1) 1

Doug Pederson and Nick Foles won a Super Bowl together, and it was over Belichick and Brady. 

It's not crazy at all to think McDermott and Allen can win once, especially since it can't be against KC. 

Lions?

49ers?

Eagles?

Cowboys?

Rams?

I'm not scared. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

Doug Pederson and Nick Foles won a Super Bowl together, and it was over Belichick and Brady. 

It's not crazy at all to think McDermott and Allen can win once, especially since it can't be against KC. 

Lions?

49ers?

Eagles?

Cowboys?

Rams?

I'm not scared. 

Getting past the Chiefs and Bengals now that Burrow is back won't be easy. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Getting past the Chiefs and Bengals now that Burrow is back won't be easy. 

...and the Ratbirds, Browns, Texans, Chargers, maybe Pittsburgh, Jax.....the AFC has some really good teams, nothing is a given...

• Like (+1) 1

Is everyone else getting a free pass then if we make a SB and lose?

What about personnel and their performance?  Injuries?  

McD isn't out there catching balls and blocking defenders.  He's not a magical witch doctor either, mending ACL's with the stroke of his magic wand.

On 2/26/2024 at 6:42 PM, FireChans said:

Come on now!

We all know perfectly well it won't change for that group, a very small minority that for some reason is greatly exaggerated in its size, even when the Bills WIN the Super Bowl.  For most of them, it isn't about logic or facts, but just irrational emotion, hatred. In fact, they will likely hate McDermott, a born winner, even more at that point. 

In fact, if the Bills win two Super Bowls in a row, and then go 10-7 and miss the playoffs the following year, we all know, almost a certainty, that they would be calling for his head.

Edited by Mister Defense

On 2/26/2024 at 4:56 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

If all that happened I’d say he learned how to Coach correctly. I believe in putting your time in. He’s learning every year. We hope.