Our Window Is As Open As Ever

Bills!Win!

We lost to KC in 2021 and 2022 because the Chiefs had a super team with Mahomes, Kelce and Hill. 13 seconds was inexcusable. We had played our very best game and had them beat. 

In 2023 and 2024 we had injuries to several defensive players in the playoffs when it mattered. Our defense could not stop anyone, not even the Dolphins 3rd string quarterback. I already forgot his name! 

We are never going to be the Patriots or the Chiefs and be a dynasty but if we just stay patient and get a little luck by not getting all the injuries again, I’ll take our chances over anyone. 

Beane needs to work his magic, restructure, move some pieces around and get a #2 receiver and we will be fine. 

A little I’m hurt but not yet slain. I’ll just lie down and bleed a while, then I’ll rise and fight again.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This is very dramatic. 

What? You never need a nap? 

I’m excited to see next year. I enjoyed a TON of Bills football last season. I wish we were still playing, but I still had a good time. I know we have holes to fill, again, but I believe we will be in the hunt again as well. One day…..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m excited to see next year. I enjoyed a TON of Bills football last season. I wish we were still playing, but I still had a good time. I know we have holes to fill, again, but I believe we will be in the hunt again as well. One day…..

I’m with you. But there will be no blood, nor fighting, nor slaying. 

I pretty much just watch games on my television. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I’m with you. But there will be no blood, nor fighting, nor slaying. 

I pretty much just watch games on my television. 🤷‍♂️ 

You’re right, that is all tailgate stuff. I hate to mess up the house on game days. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

Beane needs to draft 3 wr this draft, but he won't. He'll draft one and think we're set. 

the time is now to package Diggs with a few other picks for another 1st from Houston or Dallas. Then you come out of Round 1 with 2 dyanamic WR’s to build around

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

the time is now to package Diggs with a few other picks for another 1st from Houston or Dallas. Then you come out of Round 1 with 2 dyanamic WR’s to build around

They won't trade Diggs, and shouldn't. I'd still give him another year or 2, especially if there's more talent around him 

• Like (+1) 1

It's nice being a contender, but losing to the same team in a close game continously is tiring.

If the Bills just weren't good enough it would be one thing, but honestly outside of the AGCCG the Bills were the better team in the respective years.

Even if the teams good enough the coach chokes, I know players made mistakes but doesn't change the facts McD coached like he had a lead.

And yes I'm still bitter, no need to point it out to me.

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

They won't trade Diggs, and shouldn't. I'd still give him another year or 2, especially if there's more talent around him 

In a year or 2 he will be 32 and no more than a #2. Considering the drama around him I would deal him if someone would take the contract and we get decent return (2nd rounder). Doubtful anyone will do that though.

• Disagree 1

14 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

We lost to KC in 2021 and 2022 because the Chiefs had a super team with Mahomes, Kelce and Hill. 13 seconds was inexcusable. We had played our very best game and had them beat. 

In 2023 and 2024 we had injuries to several defensive players in the playoffs when it mattered. Our defense could not stop anyone, not even the Dolphins 3rd string quarterback. I already forgot his name! 

We are never going to be the Patriots or the Chiefs and be a dynasty but if we just stay patient and get a little luck by not getting all the injuries again, I’ll take our chances over anyone. 

Beane needs to work his magic, restructure, move some pieces around and get a #2 receiver and we will be fine. 

A little I’m hurt but not yet slain. I’ll just lie down and bleed a while, then I’ll rise and fight again.

Nice post, getting people to realize that we will turn the corner sooner than later is not easy. The frustration of being close twice now  against the same team is part of the problem. Same thing happened to Peyton Manning with Brady.This dynamic changes suddenly and then we become the team. I truly believe a dominant receiver like Diggs from 2022, would have changed the outcome. Beane and Sean must take a page out of NEs playbook and upgrade a year before a player loses their edge (Diggs)and never again be undermined by a kicker that lost his confidence.

11 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Beane needs to draft 3 wr this draft, but he won't. He'll draft one and think we're set. 

I think we’ll draft 2…1 in the first 3 rounds and then a day 3 pick…

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

kinda loses it's impact after 35 years.

nobody is trading anything for Diggs,  coming off a strange season,  at his age,  with his ginormous cap hit.   so get that out of your heads.

need a CB,  LB depth,  Safeties,  and at the very least a true #2 WR,  preferably one that can ascend to WR1.   hard to hit on those late round picks every year.   alot of work to do.  theres also the need to replace Floyd.

as long as Josh is still a top 5 QB,  the window will always be open.

Edited by bigduke6

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Not just in the hunt. I truly think we would be in the Super Bowl if not for the injuries. Takes some luck.

KC is lucky they got to play our JV squad.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

We'd pry have to trade Diggs and a draft pick to get anyone to take on that contract

Ahh, a classic! Pulling the old Brock Osweiler Maneuver out of the bag of tricks!  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

We'd pry have to trade Diggs and a draft pick to get anyone to take on that contract

I’m wondering though, if we take on a he dead cap, if the deal would be more reasonable for the new team…

5 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

It definitely could use a soundtrack pulled from the NFL Films music catalog 

Maybe a Little John Fecenda.   Sorry it's a Raider vidoe but we did give Lamonica!!

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

good post! 

people forget that during the patriots dynasty, teams like the broncos, colts, and Steelers would sneak by the pats here and there. 

A lot of times is wasn’t because those teams were better; often, some other team upset the pats, and paved the way for those teams to get to the SB. 

would be nice if we had some luck like that, and someone else taking care of the chiefs for us. 

6 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

we are never going to be a dynasty but we could possibly win is a fun standard to accept with the best qb in the league 

I do think it is funny. I've heard so many of the talking heads predict that our window is closing, or that our window is closed now. Many of these talking heads predicted our window would be shut this year. Quite a few predicted the Bills would miss the playoffs and when we were 6-6 they most have been jumping for joy at their prognostication skills. 

How in the heck can a team's window ever be closed with JA as the QB? The Bills lost in the weirdest of ways to mediocre/bad teams this year, not once, or twice but three times and still found a way to win the division and finish as the 2 seed. While missing their best defensive player. The Bills are not going anywhere anytime soon. 

18 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

we are never going to be a dynasty but we could possibly win is a fun standard to accept with the best qb in the league 

Exactly. The Colts with Peyton were never a dynasty. But they were a damn good team for a long time that won one Super Bowl and two AFC titles. I'll be happy if the Bills achieve the same. The AFC is so QB dominant right now. Expecting more than 1 Super Bowl ring probably isn't realistic. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

We CAN become a dynasty. But it requires more elite talent. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

The Bills window is open because we have a top 3 QB in his prime, nearly an entire offense of good players including a very good O line, a top young TE, a very good young RB, and 2/3 of an excellent starting receiving group.  We also have excellent depth at LB, 3 good to excellent starters at the corners, and two very high-end DL players.  We also possess a good HC, who is a terrific defensive coach, and an OC who I believe in.  I think Brady, with a whole off-season to plan, will create the most dynamic Bills offense in years.

The bottom line is that the Bills have good to great players in 10/11 starting positions on offense with very good depth on the Oline and TE and 8/11 on defense.  Most of the significant starting roster holes (WR, S, Edge, and DT), can and will be addressed early in the draft (we have 10 picks), helping to continue the roster's youth movement. If Miller returns to form (admittedly a big if) then we'll have 9/11 good to excellent starters on defense.  

Of the returning starters under contract 10 of the 19 will be aged 24-27 next season and only 4 are over 30. If Beane has similar success this draft as he did last year, I think you'll be able to add at least 2 (likely WR and S) to the list of starters 27 and younger next year. This is a trend that is likely to continue as next season could be the final year in Buffalo for Morse, Poyer, Diggs, and Miller, who are our 4 starters over 30.

Respectfully gotta disagree. We had the 2 seed this year had the Chiefs at home and STILL couldn't beat them. And keep in mind this was one of the worst Chief's teams in recent history. If we couldn't get the job done this year I don't see us doing it anytime soon. 

Oh yeah and Burrow will be back in the playoff's next year too. So that's another team we gotta worry about.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Nklaiste1 said:

Respectfully gotta disagree. We had the 2 seed this year had the Chiefs at home and STILL couldn't beat them. And keep in mind this was one of the worst Chief's teams in recent history. If we couldn't get the job done this year I don't see us doing it anytime soon. 

Oh yeah and Burrow will be back in the playoff's next year too. So that's another team we gotta worry about.

That worst Chiefs team in recent history about to win the SB bro 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I've always been under the belief there will be 2 distinct windows. I honestly think window #1 just ended with our 3rd KC elimination. Window #2 will begin this offseason as we start saying goodbye to key veterans like Hyde, Poyer, Tre and eventually Von & Diggs.  Players like Cook, Kincaid,  Milano/Bernard and Shakir will fortify this team as we start selecting young wrs, safeties etc.  I'm excited our coordinators are young but still terrified as to what issues McD will stumble into during the playoffs.  

1 hour ago, Nklaiste1 said:

...and I guarantee you Harbaugh will build a better team around Herbert.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

Fight on Sir Andrew!

One of my favorite Marvisms.

Everyone knows “where would you want to be right here, right now”, and “When it’s too tough for them, it’s just right for us”, but this Marvism always resonates with me given the heartbreaking losses and the will to come back and fight.

As far as Beane, I think he really will get us one to two WR’s and two Safeties.  Probably a DT somewhere.  I’ll lose my mind if they use their 1st RD pick on a DT though.  It would be reckless.

13 hours ago, Steptide said:

2 is enough when u think about the other weapons we have on this team moving forward with Kincaid & Shakir and we should have Diggs for 1 more yr.

This draft is loaded probably the best in yrs when it comes to nearly every position. So yes drafting a couple Wrs in top 5 rds with 1 in first 2 rounds then one in rds 3-5 would be ideal. Otherwise draft BPA threw out the rest of the draft. The Bills need to add at least 15 rookies this yr so if that means we have 10pks we have to put a heavy emphasis on undrafted free agents as well 

Top notch scouting is the real key in these times of salary caps and franchise QBs who take a big chunk of the available cash. The best teams will have more hits than misses in the draft and FA. Fortunately, the Bills personnel staff have been very good at finding mid to late round picks that have become serviceable to very players. Cheap labor that can step in and get the job done when others become unaffordable high-priced veterans.

Bernard taking the place of Edmunds is a prime example, and it looks like he'll not only cheaper, but better on the field. Win win.

That's the sort of strategic roster-building that will keep the window open as long as they have Josh.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.