Diggs cryptic comments - 2024 edition

Einstein

49 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Why?  Just curious.  I am sure you have reasons, I just always wonder what's up when we get some of these "I could if I would but I won't" type cryptic comments (John Wawrow is somewhat notable for them)

Speaking for myself - There are times where I will hear something that I know will never be officially confirmed, and it just doesn't feel right to post those stories here since inflammatory unconfirmed stories don't breed good discussion. A couple other times I've heard something where the source of the report would be obvious so I won't post it. So I tend to report things like injury news or imminent signings I hear from my source where I know it will be confirmed before long and there's no direct link back to my source.

For the record I am also aware of one stunt that Diggs pulled this season which was very immature and directly impacted the team, and I know for a fact it is a different instance from what @SectionC3 is referring to, but for the reasons I outlined above I don't feel comfortable giving out the full details.

Suffice it to say Diggs has built a reputation of being a headache, and that reputation extends beyond what is publicly reported. A couple other posters on here have alluded to other instances as well. It's no big secret that Diggs has an attitude problem. My personal opinion is that the attitude is worth the player we got in 2020-2022 but not worth the player we got in the final 10 games of the 2023 season.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Speaking for myself - There are times where I will hear something that I know will never be officially confirmed, and it just doesn't feel right to post those stories here since inflammatory unconfirmed stories don't breed good discussion. A couple other times I've heard something where the source of the report would be obvious so I won't post it. So I tend to report things like injury news or imminent signings I hear from my source where I know it will be confirmed before long and there's no direct link back to my source.

For the record I am also aware of one stunt that Diggs pulled this season which was very immature and directly impacted the team, and I know for a fact it is a different instance from what @SectionC3 is referring to, but for the reasons I outlined above I don't feel comfortable giving out the full details.

Suffice it to say Diggs has built a reputation of being a headache, and that reputation extends beyond what is publicly reported. A couple other posters on here have alluded to other instances as well. It's no big secret that Diggs has an attitude problem. My personal opinion is that the attitude is worth the player we got in 2020-2022 but not worth the player we got in the final 10 games of the 2023 season.

Thanks!  I really appreciate the insight into the thoughts behind what you hear vs. what you feel like you can share.  I do agree completely that unconfirmed stories (especially if inflammatory) aren't the best food for quality discussion here.

I have heard from another source that "Diggs is a problem", but again, with no details.

Just a note that Diggs performance pretty well fell off the last 7 (8) games of last season as well.

Do you have any insight you can share into why the performance dropped off?  Cumulative dings?  Checking out?  Other?

30 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Oh come on you can't leave us hanging like that. 

I'm jk, I get it. 

But from based on what you know, are his antics a result of him wanting out of Buffalo? Or is the guy just a headcase?

Edited by Process

34 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Do you have any insight you can share into why the performance dropped off?  Cumulative dings?  Checking out?  Other?

I can only speculate. I haven't heard from my source that he has any performance-related injuries but I also haven't heard definitively that he doesn't. I tend to think not because he participated in the Pro Bowl and there were no surgeries reported after the season like you see with some players. Truth be told most players are playing with some sort of injury by the last quarter of the season, I think most fans that pay attention know that by now. I worry that he simply hit the wall very suddenly. We'll see.

33 minutes ago, Process said:

But from based on what you know, are his antics a result of him wanting out of Buffalo? Or is the guy just a headcase?

On this, again, I can only speculate. I don't think he specifically wants out of Buffalo. Headcase is the right word. I mean this is a pattern of behavior going back to Minnesota. I don't know why anybody on here still tries to defend it or act like the media is making something out of nothing. They say where there's smoke there's fire; with Diggs I would say where there's fire there's fire. His behavior isn't subtle. Last year's training camp started with Diggs being absent on day one and the head coach publicly announcing that he was "very concerned." What else do people need to see to understand that drama follows Diggs everywhere? How many times do you try to come up with excuses before you just accept that this is who he is? And yes these bizarre answers he gives to basic interview questions are part of the same formula.

I think he just has trouble controlling his emotions. Everyone has played a pickup basketball game with that one guy that takes it way too seriously and gets on his teammates for the littlest things. I think that is Diggs' personality to a tee.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

This.  Huge attitude problem is an apt characterization.  Also maybe not an idiot, but does some things that an idiot would do. 

10 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Whatever happens we should know very soon.   They need to restructure contracts to have money for free agency and the draft.  If he isnt restructured he is likely on his way out.  If he is, he will be here. 

If by “restructuring “ you mean taking a pay cut …. I don’t see that happening …

If you mean pushing some of his money further down the line … could happen I guess 

I think he is here next year regardless 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/6/2024 at 12:20 PM, brianthomas said:

saw this on twitter this morning & almost had a heart attack. Was curious how'd you all feel if this did happen

Screenshot_1.jpg

i dont hate the idea personally & the trade partner surely makes sense given the history. Ideally i'd like things to work with Diggs here. But a trade like this would be bold & likely one of the only ways we can get out of the contract, without really hurting ourselves in the process

This would confirm to me that McDermott still thinks defense is the way to win in this league. Personally, I feel that you build around our great quarterback. 

On 2/6/2024 at 12:20 PM, brianthomas said:

saw this on twitter this morning & almost had a heart attack. Was curious how'd you all feel if this did happen

Screenshot_1.jpg

i dont hate the idea personally & the trade partner surely makes sense given the history. Ideally i'd like things to work with Diggs here. But a trade like this would be bold & likely one of the only ways we can get out of the contract, without really hurting ourselves in the process

I’d do that trade in a heartbeat, but not sure Carolina is desperate enough for a WR to trade Burns straight up for Diggs.  Seems like wishful thinking.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I’d do that trade in a heartbeat, but not sure Carolina is desperate enough for a WR to trade Burns straight up for Diggs.  Seems like wishful thinking.  

It also neglects any salary cap implications. 

It's silly season, prepare for 6 weeks of wild speculation that comes to naught.

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Whatever happens we should know very soon.   They need to restructure contracts to have money for free agency and the draft.  If he isnt restructured he is likely on his way out.  If he is, he will be here. 

March 13th is the start of FA, March 11th the legal tampering period. So 5 weeks from today we have to be under the cap. Agreed, we should start hearing something soon.  The combine is in 2 weeks, things should really heat up then.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Why?  Just curious.  I am sure you have reasons, I just always wonder what's up when we get some of these "I could if I would but I won't" type cryptic comments (John Wawrow is somewhat notable for them)

I could be mistaken, but to my understanding the only time one can post-date a roster move is with a CUT.  Not a trade.  A CUT.

And when one does post-date a cut to after June 1, the cap relief only takes place after June 1st.

I may be wrong then. I thought multiple WR trades in last few offseasons were designated to be “official” post June 1

13 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

It also neglects any salary cap implications. 

It's silly season, prepare for 6 weeks of wild speculation that comes to naught.

Honestly if we could sign Mike Evans, I’d cut Diggs.  Designate him as a post June 1 cut.  Draft a WR in first 2 rounds and roll with Evans, Shakir, and rookie as your top 3.  Evans would be an upgrade to Diggs on the field and would come with a lot less drama.  

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I may be wrong then. I thought multiple WR trades in last few offseasons were designated to be “official” post June 1

Found this from Pro Football Network (generally reliable about procedures and so forth):

One last important note: There is no post-June 1 designation for trades. A team can wait until after June 1 to process a trade and will see the same cap benefits we outlined, but they cannot trade a player in April and designate the deal as a post-June 1 trade.

The trade may have been made earlier, and PROCESSED after June 1, but you can't trade a player, transfer liability for his March bonuses and so forth to his new club, and then designate the trade post-June 1 like you can when you cut a player

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

This.  Huge attitude problem is an apt characterization.  Also maybe not an idiot, but does some things that an idiot would do. 

OK apologies in advance if this is boundary pushing, please feel free to tell me to "stand down".    Someone  in the Buffalo press corps, or maybe it was Cover1, commented that with regard to Allen and Diggs "the Bro-mance is definitely over". 

Publicly, Josh is still very consistent and strong in support of Diggs: "that's my brother" "competitor" "he understands we can't force the ball to him".

Publicly, Diggs is NOT strong in support of Allen.

Any insight there?

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

On this, again, I can only speculate. I don't think he specifically wants out of Buffalo. Headcase is the right word. I mean this is a pattern of behavior going back to Minnesota. I don't know why anybody on here still tries to defend it or act like the media is making something out of nothing. They say where there's smoke there's fire; with Diggs I would say where there's fire there's fire. His behavior isn't subtle. Last year's training camp started with Diggs being absent on day one and the head coach publicly announcing that he was "very concerned." What else do people need to see to understand that drama follows Diggs everywhere? How many times do you try to come up with excuses before you just accept that this is who he is? And yes these bizarre answers he gives to basic interview questions are part of the same formula.

I think he just has trouble controlling his emotions. Everyone has played a pickup basketball game with that one guy that takes it way too seriously and gets on his teammates for the littlest things. I think that is Diggs' personality to a tee.

It wasn't training camp, it was optional "organized team activities", and then there was that weirdness where Adisa Bakari (Diggs agent) said he was given permission to leave by McDermott after discussions with McDermott and Beane regarding some issue he had.  I'm not defending Diggs - I think it's a very bad look when a team captain storms out of the building or refuses to talk to the press. 

I am pointing out if people are still defending Diggs, it's because the picture has been muddled and there isn't definitive information out there (not to be interpreted as an attempt to get you to "spill the tea", just a point that there isn't spilt tea)

Diggs is a supremely talented pain in the ass. He has always been this way.  It seemed to really change once Brady took over.  If his contract was not such an albatross around Beanes neck I am certain Cleveland and Dorsey would be stupid enough to take him on and we would would be wise to do it. 

Ain't happening this year unless some sage salary cap guru knows something I don't.

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

OK apologies in advance if this is boundary pushing, please feel free to tell me to "stand down".    Someone  in the Buffalo press corps, or maybe it was Cover1, commented that with regard to Allen and Diggs "the Bro-mance is definitely over". 

Publicly, Josh is still very consistent and strong in support of Diggs: "that's my brother" "competitor" "he understands we can't force the ball to him".

Publicly, Diggs is NOT strong in support of Allen.

Any insight there?

It wasn't training camp, it was optional "organized team activities", and then there was that weirdness where Adisa Bakari (Diggs agent) said he was given permission to leave by McDermott after discussions with McDermott and Beane regarding some issue he had.  I'm not defending Diggs - I think it's a very bad look when a team captain storms out of the building or refuses to talk to the press. 

I am pointing out if people are still defending Diggs, it's because the picture has been muddled and there isn't definitive information out there (not to be interpreted as an attempt to get you to "spill the tea", just a point that there isn't spilt tea)

None.  

4 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Diggs is a problem and you can clearly tell from the way Josh was interacting w his this season. 

This is just a guess, but my bet is that there are a lot of people in the facility exhausted by his BS.  

5 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

This would confirm to me that McDermott still thinks defense is the way to win in this league. Personally, I feel that you build around our great quarterback. 

One thing we don’t talk about is Diggs in elimination games. He sucks. 

Why is everyone so afraid of the Diggs conversation? Diggs has been a great addition. Yes we’d be better with Justin Jefferson but we don’t have to validate the trade. Diggs was a great WR addition. But I’m not afraid to move on at this point. He’s not helping us win a championship when he disappears every elimination game. Let’s be real. It’s not going to get better as he ages. He’s got zero playoff TDs the last 3 years.

Rip the bandaid off. 

6 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

The chiefs disagree 

I think Diggs is learning that no one gives a *****.  I admire the way the team has handled his issues this season.  I hope he can get back on board and really lead this team next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I can only speculate. I haven't heard from my source that he has any performance-related injuries but I also haven't heard definitively that he doesn't. I tend to think not because he participated in the Pro Bowl and there were no surgeries reported after the season like you see with some players. Truth be told most players are playing with some sort of injury by the last quarter of the season, I think most fans that pay attention know that by now. I worry that he simply hit the wall very suddenly. We'll see.

Well said.

To be fair to Steph, lots of WR's are filled with drama. AJ Brown is another dude that is quickly building a rep of being a headache.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I fully appreciate this. I also have an inside source. I typically choose not to independently report what I hear from that source so that it cannot be traced back to that person and so that I am not met with the BS responses some will give.

Having said that, I also have heard things about Diggs. The whole thing is a shame. I remember being so impressed with him when I learned way back how, as the oldest child, he decided to play college football close to home after his Dad died young so that he could help out at home.

That really impressed me and I loved the guy up until the beginning of the off season after the 2022-23 season. He was a complete diva and distraction beginning around that time. At the time, he also was considered a number one receiver who has the second highest cap hit on the team.

Now, he is just an overpaid diva with the second highest cap hit on the team.

Given his contract, I hope he is mature enough to change his ways and can perform more like he did in the first half of this past season to at least get some value out of our huge investment in him.

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Someone  in the Buffalo press corps, or maybe it was Cover1, commented that with regard to Allen and Diggs "the Bro-mance is definitely over". 

Diggs and Allen definitely fell out and it happened in season in 2022. I was told that by two people independently of each other LAST offseason. 

There was a point where the two were barely on speaking terms. I think they managed to piece some sort of relationship back together for the actual season in 2023. I wasn't told that but just looking on as a fan. But I don't think it was close to how tight they were before and I am not sure it ever will be. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Diggs and Allen definitely fell out and it happened in season in 2022. I was told that by two people independently of each other LAST offseason. 

There was a point where the two were barely on speaking terms. I think they managed to piece some sort of relationship back together for the actual season in 2023. I wasn't told that but just looking on as a fan. But I don't think it was close to how tight they were before and I am not sure it ever will be. 

Then it's time to move on, Josh needs a room where he is the unquestioned alpha no more deferring to a petulant child/man in Diggs.

Sometimes addition by subtraction is necessary, i have been in many fields in my life and seen it time and time again. Timing is right best WR draft in years, cap hit be damned figure it out Beane.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I wish I knew what Diggs was doing. He wasn’t happy with Kirk Cousins in Minnesota. Okay, fine, I can see why that would be the case. Now he’s not happy with Josh Allen in Buffalo. What’s his end-game here?

Did he not watch what the Cowboys did with Dak down the stretch? Eagles with Hurts? Ravens with Lamar? 

Unless he ends up with Mahomes in KC (highly unlikely), he’s not going to end up somewhere with equal or higher level quarterbacking. 

He’s not happy with McDermott? Sure. I know a lot of people here aren’t too. I once again ask… Mike McCarthy? Nick Sirianni? I mean come on, Diggs. 

15 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I wish I knew what Diggs was doing. He wasn’t happy with Kirk Cousins in Minnesota. Okay, fine, I can see why that would be the case. Now he’s not happy with Josh Allen in Buffalo. What’s his end-game here?

Did he not watch what the Cowboys did with Dak down the stretch? Eagles with Hurts? Ravens with Lamar? 

Unless he ends up with Mahomes in KC (highly unlikely), he’s not going to end up somewhere with equal or higher level quarterbacking. 

He’s not happy with McDermott? Sure. I know a lot of people here aren’t too. I once again ask… Mike McCarthy? Nick Sirianni? I mean come on, Diggs. 

I don't know that it was thinking Josh is a bad Quarterback as such. I'm not sure they totally saw eye to eye on Dorsey's vision for the offense but I don't know if there was more to it than that. My gut has always been it might be a personal thing as much as a football thing. But yea, I'm not really sure what his end game is. I know he hates losing and takes it very badly. I'm largely ignoring his offseason posturing, as I did last year, but I think the same now as I did then: when there is this much smoke there is a fire burning somewhere.

If we had missed the playoffs and changed regime I'd have seriously considered moving on from Stef as part of a re-set year (and I am his biggest fan since his rookie year in Minnesota) but given where we are I think they have to try and maximise him next year and while I think actually his vertical separation was definitely less this year than previous years, even at the end of the season I saw no issue with him separating quickly in the intermediate range where his cuts and quick feet hide the fact that he might have lost a year of pure speed. So we have to use Stef much more as a Z receiver, the flanker in old money, and bring in an X receiver with explosion who can win vertically. I think that is the way to maximise Stef (if they do that I am confident he can post another 1,000 yard season) and make the offense more dynamic. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Probably same thing happened in Minny.  Guy is basically a big hearted (loves the kids) and very emotional.  Sometimes big hearted people are temperamental.  The bromance part is that JA17 is closer to others and that doesn’t sit well with SD14.

He’s in too deep with his contract the next two years so he’s going nowhere.  This is all gossip and reading into things that aren’t there.  He’s pissed, that’s all.   He should be.  He went invisible amd he had less targets to him. The real answer is he needs help at WR, and he gets it, he gets less double teamed and will start producing again.  Beane can’t move on from that contract, and neither can Diggs.

• Eyeroll 1

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't know that it was thinking Josh is a bad Quarterback as such. I'm not sure they totally saw eye to eye on Dorsey's vision for the offense but I don't know if there was more to it than that. My gut has always been it might be a personal thing as much as a football thing. But yea, I'm not really sure what his end game is. I know he hates losing and takes it very badly. I'm largely ignoring his offseason posturing, as I did last year, but I think the same now as I did then: when there is this much smoke there is a fire burning somewhere.

I'll say some of what I've heard, and it has been mentioned by at least one other person on here. Diggs would hold Allen accountable for every perceived mistake. He would get in his face in the locker room, to the point that it got a little uncomfortable for others that were present. At a certain point Allen got fed up with it and wouldn't let Diggs get away with that behavior anymore, which is when their relationship really broke down. You saw this during the Bengals divisional game. Diggs screaming at Allen on the sidelines while Allen intentionally doesn't make eye contact and doesn't engage with him because that was the only way he knew to diffuse the situation.

As far as his issues with McDermott, that I am not specifically aware of. My source says people he's talked to about it have been somewhat confused by the whole situation as well, and they speculated that even Diggs himself wouldn't be able to quite pinpoint what he was upset about. Ultimately it appears that he just really really hates losing and lets his emotions get the best of him which causes him to lash out in any and all directions. He's just not an easy person to get along with when facing adversity, which is a problem for a pro sports team that inevitably will face adversity.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'll say some of what I've heard, and it has been mentioned by at least one other person on here. Diggs would hold Allen accountable for every perceived mistake. He would get in his face in the locker room, to the point that it got a little uncomfortable for others that were present. At a certain point Allen got fed up with it and wouldn't let Diggs get away with that behavior anymore, which is when their relationship really broke down. You saw this during the Bengals divisional game. Diggs screaming at Allen on the sidelines while Allen intentionally doesn't make eye contact and doesn't engage with him because that was the only way he knew to diffuse the situation.

As far as his issues with McDermott, that I am not specifically aware of. My source says people he's talked to about it have been somewhat confused by the whole situation as well, and they speculated that even Diggs himself wouldn't be able to quite pinpoint what he was upset about. Ultimately it appears that he just really really hates losing and lets his emotions get the best of him which causes him to lash out in any and all directions. He's just not an easy person to get along with when facing adversity, which is a problem for a pro sports team that inevitably will face adversity.

package Diggs with a 2 or 3 in 25 + 6th and see if anyone will give a 1st this year. 

draft 2 dynamic WR’s in Round 1. Boom. Your offense is reborn and exciting

• Dislike 2

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

package Diggs with a 2 or 3 in 25 + 6th and see if anyone will give a 1st this year. 

draft 2 dynamic WR’s in Round 1. Boom. Your offense is reborn and exciting

You are going to be unhappy when they take DL round 1

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That certainly doesn't contradict what I was told. My source said Allen and Diggs have fallen out about the offense (which could well be the execution of it) and it was never a Diggs / McDermott issue. As I said earlier I wad told there were times late in 2022 when they were barely on speaking terms.

And btw I said this last offseason when the popular narrative wad he had enough of coaching. That was not what I was told and your source seems to back that up.

Edited by GunnerBill

If Diggs is trying to remove himself from the Bills via bad behavior, the normal response would be F that, the inmates don’t run the asylum.  

That being said, if his behavior is seriously impacting Allen’s play, at some point do they say “ENOUGH”, dead cap hit be damned, and waive him?

Edited by LabattBlue

I know it's the pro bowl and just for fun but Diggs was completely boring.  Over and over he half jogged about 10 paces, turned to face QB and just stood there wide open.   No one paid him a thought - not D and not the QB.  

Lots of guys horsed around and ran about but not Diggs.

He clearly was smiling and laughing when talking with other guys but he had zero interest in burning calories so to speak.  Likely nothing.  First pro bowl I actually watched.

So it sounds like Diggs is one of those guys that is loud about others mistakes...from what I am reading here.  I can see how that can become off putting over time...

Reason being, in my experience,those that are the loudest about other people's mistakes at work (ie money) don't outwardly show their self critique. 

Some, are very hard on themselves and it just isn't seen, others are not...which is toxic in my opinion. 

No can argue that he is extremely competitive and has a hunger to win.  The question, I think becomes can that hunger and leadership be conveyed in better, healthier ways?