Commanders Hire Dan Quinn as HC

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Valid point.  Spagnuolo has had 2 shots as HC: 3 years with the St Louis Rams (spoiler: it was awful.  For the first year, he had a QB in Marc Bulger who was probably like the Fitzy of his time? able to succeed in some systems, but at this point older and struggling.  Then they drafted Sam Bradford, who looked OK his first season under Pat Shurmer, then totally AFU under Mike McDaniels.  Anyway, the team went 1-15, 7-9, 2-14 under Spagnuolo.

He got a 2nd shot as interim HC of the Giants, and went 1-3 (and didn't get the job).

It may be the feeling on Spagnuolo is that he's a brilliant DC but HC means "promoting him beyond his level of competence".

Yea. He just isn't necessarily a HC personality. Very good coach though. 

13 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Oh, my gosh, I hadn't looked at this.

Dan Quinn's staff his first year and when they went to the SB:

OC Kyle Shanahan (49ers coach, SB this year), QB Coach Matt LaFleur  (GB coach, playoffs this year, beat Dallas convincingly); Mike LaFleur (Rams OC this year, playoffs); Mike McDaniel as offensive assistant. 

Yea that entire offensive staff was Shanahan's staff. Basically he was the Head Coach but Kyle had total control over offense from scheme to play calling to staff and even personnel - remember they brought Alex Mack and Tyler Gabriel in from Cleveland where Kyle had just been and Matt Schaub who Kyle had in Houston as the backup QB. 

The offense was Shanahan's show.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea. He just isn't necessarily a HC personality. Very good coach though. 

I just wrote and erased a very long post about this, but your post states this more succinctly. BTW, I think that we are seeing the same thing with Daboll in NY. Some people don't have the personality to lead white delegating. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Oh, my gosh, I hadn't looked at this.

Dan Quinn's staff his first year and when they went to the SB:

OC Kyle Shanahan (49ers coach, SB this year), QB Coach Matt LaFleur  (GB coach, playoffs this year, beat Dallas convincingly); Mike LaFleur (Rams OC this year, playoffs); Mike McDaniel as offensive assistant. 

By 2017 they were all gone and it was a downhill slide.

Also he had Richard Smith as his DC, and fired him I think? after 2016 SB collapse, but I think Quinn had taken over playcalling part way through the 2016 season?

Yeah, Sus choice to give Quinn a shot as DC.

And the thing I see there is....he can't even really get credit for "assembling" that staff on offense. He got Shanahan. That was a good hire. However, Shanahan clearly brought the rest in as they pretty much traveled together (LaFleur an McDaniel) at that point. 

A defensive coach whose defense let them down consistently in big games and isn’t a good in-game manager. 

I do feel bad for them for some reason…

49 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This is like the Bills firing McDermott and hiring Brandon Staley as the new HC. 

It’s kind of like if we fired McD and brought in Quinn himself. There’s really no difference. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman

11 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

A defensive coach whose defense let them down consistently in big games and isn’t a good in-game manager. 

I do feel bad for them for some reason…

It’s kind of like if we fired McD and brought in Quinn himself. There’s really no difference. 

Rivera and Quinn both took teams to super bowls, so I think they are in a slightly different tier. But its all the same garbage. 

Initially I didn't like the hire but now that I've had time to think about it, Quinn is legit.

There's a strong 49er connection with Adam Peters.  Also, Quinn led Atlanta to the Super Bowl with Kyle Shanahan as his OC (should have won).  They have the most cap room in the league and the #2 pick in the draft.

I can dig it.  

Edited by Chicken Boo

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The complete silence on Bienemy, even after moving out of Reid's shadow, and even after making Howell look good... is quite telling.

I do wonder what exactly about him disqualifies him so completely from a HC opportunity. Is it really the baggage from Colorado? Is he really that big a prick in interviews? Baffling.

The Commanders offense was statistically worse under Bienemy and reports are that he put too much on Howell's plate which is why he regressed.  He may not even be given an offensive coordinator job.  Back to KC is my guess.

• Like (+1) 1

lol Commanders....

29 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Initially I didn't like the hire but now that I've had time to think about it, Quinn is legit.

There's a strong 49er connection with Adam Peters.  Also, Quinn led Atlanta to the Super Bowl with Kyle Shanahan as his OC (should have won).  They have the most cap room in the league and the #2 pick in the draft.

I can dig it.  

They lost that game because their D stunk, had stunk all year and had stunk for all but 1 of Quinn's years there.    What is he good at?

For people wondering why there is so much love for a guy who has mediocre track record I have the answer. He's in the club. You hear this old coach and that old coach say he's a friend of mine. You hear it on the talk shows too. He's one of the boys. Doesn't mean he should get another opportunity to be a HC. At the end of the day its Washington, what do you expect? 

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

With the second overall pick, I'm sure the Commanders will turn their organizations around just like the Bears and Cardinals did. ;)

I will enjoy watching the Cowboys faceplant publicly without him next year. 

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Valid point.  Spagnuolo has had 2 shots as HC: 3 years with the St Louis Rams (spoiler: it was awful.  For the first year, he had a QB in Marc Bulger who was probably like the Fitzy of his time? able to succeed in some systems, but at this point older and struggling.  Then they drafted Sam Bradford, who looked OK his first season under Pat Shurmer, then totally AFU under Mike McDaniels.  Anyway, the team went 1-15, 7-9, 2-14 under Spagnuolo.

He got a 2nd shot as interim HC of the Giants, and went 1-3 (and didn't get the job).

It may be the feeling on Spagnuolo is that he's a brilliant DC but HC means "promoting him beyond his level of competence".

I guess but the rams were awful and He can not be held responsible for that giants season. He did the interim label as a favor more than likely to gettleman.

It would be interesting how he would do in washington with a rookie qb and a young OC or a proven OC to install their systems while he runs the defense.  

maybe he is just a coordinator but you can make the case that quinn is also just a coordinator.

I think you'd have to consider DC now the most dysfunctional, messed up, undesirable location in the entire league.

Good luck Mr. defensive coordinator.

This will be a train wreck.

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think you'd have to consider DC now the most dysfunctional, messed up, undesirable location in the entire league.

seems kind of like Carolina is that.  They have the new Dan Snyder and missed big time on their qb.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol Commanders....

They lost that game because their D stunk, had stunk all year and had stunk for all but 1 of Quinn's years there.    What is he good at?

Dallas defense was spotty for sure, but it's not like they're terrible. 

Wasn't he the defensive coordinator for the Legion of Boom?

Edited by Chicken Boo

So, from the mouth of a Washington fan, the positive take on this hire is that Quinn is a “decent” coach who will establish a good culture, but the biggest change in Washington is that they have a real GM.  The problem with Rivera was that he had final say on personnel and consistently made bad decisions.  This particular fan is ok if Quinn is replaced in three years because the team has a talent issue that will take time to fix.  He also acknowledged that the team took a big swing and miss at Ben Johnson and this was the fallback.

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

Dallas defense was spotty for sure, but it's not like they're terrible. 

Wasn't he the defensive coordinator for the Legion of Boom?

he was able to (briefly) coach a unit of All Pros, Pro Bowlers and possible HOFers.  a struggle no doubt!

Seahawks had the #1 scoring D before and after Quinn was there.  He turned 2 seasons of that into a HC gig---where he is famous for the most stunning and embarrassing defensive collapse in SB history.  He subsequently ran the team in to the ground and was fired early in his last season.

How will he turn around Washington??

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

he was able to (briefly) coach a unit of All Pros, Pro Bowlers and possible HOFers.  a struggle no doubt!

Seahawks had the #1 scoring D before and after Quinn was there.  He turned 2 seasons of that into a HC gig---where he is famous for the most stunning and embarrassing defensive collapse in SB history.  He subsequently ran the team in to the ground and was fired early in his last season.

How will he turn around Washington??

But he does have Super Bowl experience and a ring, coaching one of the most dominant units in league history.

He's dealing with almost the complete opposite situation in Washington.  A young team, tons of cap room and the #2 pick in the draft.  

He wouldn't have been my choice, but given they have Adam Peters at GM, I'm going to trust his judgment.  After all, he helped build the current 49er squad.  

Edited by Chicken Boo

No one with a rep, and a winning resume wants to join that organization, granted there is new ownership, but the ownership is an unknown entity, and unproven, Snyder’s stench still lingers in DC, 

6 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

For people wondering why there is so much love for a guy who has mediocre track record I have the answer. He's in the club. You hear this old coach and that old coach say he's a friend of mine. You hear it on the talk shows too. He's one of the boys. Doesn't mean he should get another opportunity to be a HC. At the end of the day its Washington, what do you expect? 

Decent argument for the Rooney Rule. 

6 hours ago, eball said:

So, from the mouth of a Washington fan, the positive take on this hire is that Quinn is a “decent” coach who will establish a good culture, but the biggest change in Washington is that they have a real GM.  The problem with Rivera was that he had final say on personnel and consistently made bad decisions.  This particular fan is ok if Quinn is replaced in three years because the team has a talent issue that will take time to fix.  He also acknowledged that the team took a big swing and miss at Ben Johnson and this was the fallback.

They just did the whole culture thing with Rivera. He was there John Fox with the Bears to reset the locker room and culture. Now they are resetting the culture…. Again.

Tough to watch.

10 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

I guess but the rams were awful and He can not be held responsible for that giants season. He did the interim label as a favor more than likely to gettleman.

It would be interesting how he would do in washington with a rookie qb and a young OC or a proven OC to install their systems while he runs the defense.  

maybe he is just a coordinator but you can make the case that quinn is also just a coordinator.

The problem is in three years with the Rams Spags had a 1 win season and a 2 win season. That isn't just bad that is historically awful. 

I just don't think his personality is suited to the position of Head Coach. In many ways he has the same issues as Leslie Frazier. He is mid 60s. A defensive guy in a league going for offense. Failed (worse than Leslie) in his 1 shot as a HC and is a kind of introverted personality type. That isn't a particularly easy sell to a fanbase. 

Not that I think Quinn's resume is better by the way. I don't approve of that hire my take on his record is above.

12 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

He is a solid DC.  He has a mess on his hands, and I doubt he can fix it in a reasonable timeframe.

Hopefully the ownership group is patient.  Sometimes owners need to give someone at least three years to turn a team around.  McD as an example took until 2019 when he had a 10-6 season and that’s on,y because the Jets game meant nothing.  Otherwise we would’ve been 11-5

Edited by machine gun kelly

6 hours ago, FireChans said:

They just did the whole culture thing with Rivera. He was there John Fox with the Bears to reset the locker room and culture. Now they are resetting the culture…. Again.

Tough to watch.

Not saying I agree with it at all…just what a fan told me.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

But he does have Super Bowl experience and a ring, coaching one of the most dominant units in league history.

He's dealing with almost the complete opposite situation in Washington.  A young team, tons of cap room and the #2 pick in the draft.  

He wouldn't have been my choice, but given they have Adam Peters at GM, I'm going to trust his judgment.  After all, he helped build the current 49er squad.  

He was in Seattle for a cup of coffee.  He parlayed that 2 years into a HC job, got to the SB, orchestrated a legendary Defensive flop and then sunk the franchise.  His Cowboys Defense gave up 48 points to Love's Packers.  Before that, his team was bounced by the 49ers 2 years in a row (Garoppolo, Purdy).

Lots of guys have rings.  Belichick has 8.  He's unemployed.  Quinn was not the Commanders 1st choice obviously.

John Lynch built the 49ers.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.