Commanders Hire Dan Quinn as HC

They got rid of Ron Rivera and hired Ron Rivera. 

Hofstra Football having a good offseason though with him and Raheem Morris. 

Also happy that Bill and Vrabel will still be available next offseason. Y'know, just in case. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 16

I would be pretty pissed if I was a Washington fan. He's an overrated defensive coordinator. In the games I saw of Dallas he made almost zero adjustments and his defense performed poorly despite having above average talent. I can only assume there was no amount of money Washington could offer to sway Ben Johnson

• Agree 6

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

They got rid of Ron Rivera and hired Ron Rivera. 

Hofstra Football having a good offseason though with him and Raheem Morris. 

Also happy that Bill and Vrabel will still be available next offseason. Y'know, just in case. 

Indeed😂

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 12

Totally bad move. After Dallas’ terrible defensive performance vs. Green Bay coupled with how he totally botched the Super Bowl vs the Patriots a few years back, I have no idea how he would even be considered for another head coaching position. The Commanders curse continues. Need to change their name back to the Redskins….

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Nuts!

Was really hoping this extremely over hyped poor defensive coach,  hyped almost like Russel Wilson was during that awful trade, was coaching at a possible AFC contender. 

When is the last time his defense played a good or excellent team in an important game and came through,  and did not crumble? Yet he was mentioned again and again as a top tier head coach possibility! Makes no sense.

Has not won a big game in years and seems to be clueless as to in game adjustments.

Poor Washington!  Hopefully he is one and done and brought in as the DC for an AFC East team next year.

25 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Mike Vrabel would have been a better choice.

Thats if he wanted the job.  He is getting paid 19 million dollars over the next two years by the Titans to stay home. 

Personally, I think the guy is taking a year off to see if the Ohio State job opens up at the end of the year.    If not maybe the Steelers job is open?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Thats if he wanted the job.  He is getting paid 19 million dollars over the next two years by the Titans to stay home. 

Personally, I think the guy is taking a year off to see if the Ohio State job opens up at the end of the year.    If not maybe the Steelers job is open?

Or maybe a few hours up the 90?

200w.gif?cid=6c09b9526u1v7l49qkfjbdtctd9

edit:

As for the Ohio State job... previously I would have agreed with you. But seeing the coaches leaving CFB due to the new era of NIL, transfer portals, etc, I'm not sure college jobs have the allure they used to.

Just saw the Boston College coach talk about leaving because college coaching isnt about recruiting and coaching anymore. It's become a fulltime fundraising job, begging boosters for money in order to buy a recruiting class. Doesnt sound like much fun.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

I don't get the love for Dan Quinn. At all. 

Mediocre retread. 

I was certain with all the HC openings that Florio would have been going ballistic in his annual demand that someone hire Eric Bienemy. 

The complete silence on Bienemy, even after moving out of Reid's shadow, and even after making Howell look good... is quite telling.

I do wonder what exactly about him disqualifies him so completely from a HC opportunity. Is it really the baggage from Colorado? Is he really that big a prick in interviews? Baffling.

32 minutes ago, dpberr said:

"You'll do."

-Washington Commanders

Reasons for the above:

1. Fills out forms well.

2. Uploaded resume on employment application.

3. Didn't freak when application required Quinn to then list his past 6 jobs, his duties in them, and why he left the position.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Eh, he's a fine coach.  Like everything in the NFL, if the Commanders hit on their QB selection (Maye or Daniels?), Quinn will succeed and survive the length of his contract.

QBs always make the coach.  A lot of fans have it backwards.  That's why I say a lot more QBs ruin coaches than coaches ruin QBs.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Vrabel and Belichick officially bypassed by everyone. And yet ANOTHER defensive HC hired this cycle. Defense is BACK BAY-BEEEE

So didn't Dan Quinn get 6 years to show what he could do with Atlanta, starting with a very good QB who had some success (all pro), a top receiver in Julio Jones, and a very good RB?  Meanwhile his defense didn't pull its weight, and he couldn't sustain success?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

QBs always make the coach.  A lot of fans have it backwards.  That's why I say a lot more QBs ruin coaches than coaches ruin QBs.  

Dan Quinn had a top 10 QB for all 6 years in Atlanta. He had 2 winning seasons and was 1 game over .500 his entire run there. I think we have already seen that even with a somewhat decent QB situation Dan Quinn isn't a great Head Coach. 

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So didn't Dan Quinn get 6 years to show what he could do with Atlanta, starting with a very good QB who had some success (all pro), a top receiver in Julio Jones, and a very good RB?  Meanwhile his defense didn't pull its weight, and he couldn't sustain success?

Great minds think alike....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Yes. And the only success he had was when he had an OC that happens to be coaching in the Super Bowl this year. A tad.... suspect.

I really think if he was that good of a coaching hire there is no way Jerry wouldn't have opened up the checkbook to the point of Quinn yet again removing his name and "focusing on unfinished business" in Dallas instead of letting him go to a hated division rival. Maybe he did and Quinn wanted the ***** though. Who knows.

32 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Eh, he's a fine coach.  Like everything in the NFL, if the Commanders hit on their QB selection (Maye or Daniels?), Quinn will succeed and survive the length of his contract.

Will he though? Let's say they go QB and take Maye. Quinn BETTER nail the OC pick. If he doesn't and the offense sputters and the first few years of Maye's career are spent with little development...Quinn's done. And if he does nail the OC pick and they do well....that OC is likely poached as a HC somewhere and they're left with hoping Quinn can nail 2 OC selections in a row. Tough spot.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Will he though? Let's say they go QB and take Maye. Quinn BETTER nail the OC pick. If he doesn't and the offense sputters and the first few years of Maye's career are spent with little development...Quinn's done. And if he does nail the OC pick and they do well....that OC is likely poached as a HC somewhere and they're left with hoping Quinn can nail 2 OC selections in a row. Tough spot.

You're right.  It's not a slam dunk.  It never is.  Just that more often than not, success (playoffs) is determined by the QB and not the head coach.  

Also, what's the deal with Bienemy?  Is he still under contract with Washington?  I'd think it might be wise for Quinn to retain him.

Kind of amazing Steve Spagnuolo keeps winning with his defense in the playoffs and doesn't get this opportunity.

I guess front offices think Patrick Mahomes is the reason for all the winning and not the defense shutting down three great offenses in the playoffs.

Next year if the bills don't finish with a championship Ben Johnson should be on their radar.  Seems he wants to hire his own gm though so who knows.

Vrabel and Belichick sitting the year out is pretty surprising.  

This seems like a miss, maybe it means bienemy is staying though

If your top choices were all declining or not completely interested why not offer it to bienemy for the season, if it goes well awesome if not you start from scratch

This is something I wish the pegulas did when they first bought the bills, should have given the head coach job to Jim schwartz instead of grabbing whatever name they could. If it failed you got a full year of experience now to re acess

18 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yes. And the only success he had was when he had an OC that happens to be coaching in the Super Bowl this year. A tad.... suspect.

Oh, my gosh, I hadn't looked at this.

Dan Quinn's staff his first year and when they went to the SB:

OC Kyle Shanahan (49ers coach, SB this year), QB Coach Matt LaFleur  (GB coach, playoffs this year, beat Dallas convincingly); Mike LaFleur (Rams OC this year, playoffs); Mike McDaniel as offensive assistant. 

By 2017 they were all gone and it was a downhill slide.

Also he had Richard Smith as his DC, and fired him I think? after 2016 SB collapse, but I think Quinn had taken over playcalling part way through the 2016 season?

Yeah, Sus choice to give Quinn a shot as DC.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The complete silence on Bienemy, even after moving out of Reid's shadow, and even after making Howell look good... is quite telling.

I do wonder what exactly about him disqualifies him so completely from a HC opportunity. Is it really the baggage from Colorado? Is he really that big a prick in interviews? Baffling.

I think pro football is experiencing the same shift the rest of the world is. The hard-nosed, abrasive, control freak boss is in some ways becoming extinct. It's become about empathy, feelings, and safe spaces. I think this is what Lombardi was talking about. People seem to be hiring company men, who are good guys to work with. Bienemy, Kingsbury, Vrable, Belli not getting jobs i think reflects that. Maybe it isn't winning above all anymore?

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Kind of amazing Steve Spagnuolo keeps winning with his defense in the playoffs and doesn't get this opportunity.

I guess front offices think Patrick Mahomes is the reason for all the winning and not the defense shutting down three great offenses in the playoffs.

Next year if the bills don't finish with a championship Ben Johnson should be on their radar.  Seems he wants to hire his own gm though so who knows.

Vrabel and Belichick sitting the year out is pretty surprising.  

Valid point.  Spagnuolo has had 2 shots as HC: 3 years with the St Louis Rams (spoiler: it was awful.  For the first year, he had a QB in Marc Bulger who was probably like the Fitzy of his time? able to succeed in some systems, but at this point older and struggling.  Then they drafted Sam Bradford, who looked OK his first season under Pat Shurmer, then totally AFU under Mike McDaniels.  Anyway, the team went 1-15, 7-9, 2-14 under Spagnuolo.

He got a 2nd shot as interim HC of the Giants, and went 1-3 (and didn't get the job).

It may be the feeling on Spagnuolo is that he's a brilliant DC but HC means "promoting him beyond his level of competence".

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.