Bills need a hardnosed, blunt QB coach

Back2Buff

With the Bills not learning and just giving Josh what he wants in the OC coach again, they need to find a QB coach that is going to get into Josh's brain.  A guy that has been around for a while, and isn't looking to baby Allen.

One guy I'm wondering if he will do it as a "favor", is Frank Reich.  He obviously doesn't need a job, but wondering if he would come back here to try and get us over the hump.

These last two hires at QB coach, Dorsey and Brady, have been young guys that were looking to eventually be head coaches.  We don't need to go in that direction again.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 2

12 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

With the Bills not learning and just giving Josh what he wants in the OC coach again, they need to find a QB coach that is going to get into Josh's brain.  A guy that has been around for a while, and isn't looking to baby Allen.

One guy I'm wondering if he will do it as a "favor", is Frank Reich.  He obviously doesn't need a job, but wondering if he would come back here to try and get us over the hump.

These last two hires at QB coach, Dorsey and Brady, have been young guys that were looking to eventually be head coaches.  We don't need to go in that direction again.

When I think of "hard nosed" coaches, Frank Reich isn't the guy that jumps to the top of the list.

And sure, we don't need a QB coach with any kind of career aspersions. Someone that's content to just stay middle management is perfect to get the most out of Allen. 

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Allen is the most productive QB in the NFL.  Full Stop.  Perfection js not achievable.  Full Stop.  The least problematic position on the Bills the last five years had been QB. 

Just stop. 

• Like (+1) 16
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Riech is hard nosed and blunt?   I agree with the premise of this thread but it  is not for sure the bills have Josh the oc he wants.  He publicly praised him after the season but could easily have a differ t opinion behind closed doors.   Also I don’t think frank reich fills the job description.  Bills fans like him because he was a bill.  Let’s be a little more sophisticated.  

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills need WRs outside of Shakir. Real 1 and 2.  

The Bills actually need a defense heading into the playoffs, not a ragtag, pulled off an RV group of guys. 

Allen is not the problem, especially in the playoffs..his supporting cast is. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That was the biggest thing about the loss of Daboll, the relationship he and Josh had. Josh grew by leaps and bounds up under him and I don't think he's had that the same type of trust in anyone else on the offensive staff since. We'll see how he does during a full offseason with  Brady at the helm. Hopefully they can develop that same type of rapport and relationship he had with Dabs. 

This past season when the powers that be tried to change and pull the reins on our QB we crapped away over half the season. Honestly, if Dorsey just stuck and got creative with the run game more often instead of abandoning it so soon in a game and didnt discourage Josh from running he probably would of yielded similar results to Brady.

Let Josh be Josh. He's the most durable and physically imposing QB in the league. His prime years shouldn't be wasted trying to bubble wrap him. 

19 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

The Bills need WRs outside of Shakir. Real 1 and 2.  

The Bills actually need a defense heading into the playoffs, not a ragtag, pulled off an RV group of guys. 

Allen is not the problem, especially in the playoffs..his supporting cast is. 

I agree with this. Unfortunately injuries are part of the game and sometimes you just need a little luck on your side.

This thread is actually more like “The Buffalo Bills keep ruining my Sundays. I called One Bills Drive to ask them for permission to come down to the sidelines to scream at Josh Allen for making me sad, but they told me that I’m not allowed to do that. So, I formally request that the team hire a proxy yeller. And if he keeps playing poorly, this proxy yeller needs to keep yelling louder until his play improves. I coach little league, and I know this to be the ideal coaching style.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just hire Pete Carmichael Jr. He was really good for the Saints for many years and he's a super experienced sounding board for Joe Brady who has extensive knowledge of the system. He would be a great extra pair of eyes for Brady and Carmichael was with Drew Brees for a long time back to their San Diego days, so I have to give him some credit for what Brees did in NO.  I think an experienced coach is what he needs. He's been coached by kids ever since Daboll left. 

Sean Ryan was the QB coach in Carolina and worked for Bill O'Brien, Tom Coughlin etc. I don't know about his style, but he is also an experienced name out there. 

Former Eagles OC, Brian Johnson would be a nice get if he doesn't get a job as an OC somewhere. 

Outside the box thinking, Todd Haley is known to be pretty abrasive, is an E-P coach, and could do good things for Josh, or he could ruin him. 

I could also see Thad Lewis coming over if the Bucs bypass him for the OC position. He is a young guy, so I am not sure that is ideal. 

Why not Frank ?? Wasn't he the QB coach in Philly before he became the OC ? Then if by chance Brady doesn't work out we have our OC in place again & if the Mafia gets their way a possible HC candidate .

• Vomit 1

I want Frank Reich no where near Josh Allen.

Posts like this just show people are living in the past. Have you watched a hard knocks in the last 10 years? Very few coaches are getting in guys faces and screaming at them. The ones that do (Gregggggggg) are laughed at. Why? It’s a different world now and these guys are professionals. Josh has had 4 straight 4000 yard seasons and 40 total Tds. But he need a hard nosed coach? Cmon

• Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I want Frank Reich no where near Josh Allen.

Posts like this just show people are living in the past. Have you watched a hard knocks in the last 10 years? Very few coaches are getting in guys faces and screaming at them. The ones that do (Gregggggggg) are laughed at. Why? It’s a different world now and these guys are professionals. Josh has had 4 straight 4000 yard seasons and 40 total Tds. But he need a hard nosed coach? Cmon

You can be hard nosed and demand respect without screaming.  It's clear as day, Josh doesn't fear or respect Dorsey and Brady like he did Daboll.  Daboll wouldn't let Josh just do whatever he wanted out there.  

37 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Just hire Pete Carmichael Jr. He was really good for the Saints for many years and he's a super experienced sounding board for Joe Brady who has extensive knowledge of the system. He would be a great extra pair of eyes for Brady and Carmichael was with Drew Brees for a long time back to their San Diego days, so I have to give him some credit for what Brees did in NO.  I think an experienced coach is what he needs. He's been coached by kids ever since Daboll left. 

Sean Ryan was the QB coach in Carolina and worked for Bill O'Brien, Tom Coughlin etc. I don't know about his style, but he is also an experienced name out there. 

Former Eagles OC, Brian Johnson would be a nice get if he doesn't get a job as an OC somewhere. 

Outside the box thinking, Todd Haley is known to be pretty abrasive, is an E-P coach, and could do good things for Josh, or he could ruin him. 

I could also see Thad Lewis coming over if the Bucs bypass him for the OC position. He is a young guy, so I am not sure that is ideal. 

Carmichael has experience as a QB coach so definitely a good option. Haley? Has he coached since getting fired from KC? 

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Carmichael has experience as a QB coach so definitely a good option. Haley? Has he coached since getting fired from KC? 

Yeah, I like Carmichael. I think it is a no-brainer. 

Haley I threw out there as an outside-the-box guy. He was with the Steelers for awhile, then had 1 year with Hue Jackson's Browns and has since been coaching in the USFL. 

Just to add Haley is a Bill Parcells guy who got his start under him with the Jets before following Parcells and Sean Payton to Dallas. So there should be crossover and familiarity there. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

13 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

You can be hard nosed and demand respect without screaming.  It's clear as day, Josh doesn't fear or respect Dorsey and Brady like he did Daboll.  Daboll wouldn't let Josh just do whatever he wanted out there.  

Just curious how “it’s clear as day” that Josh doesn’t respect or “fear” his coaches? Also, what does Josh have to “fear?” He gets paid $45 millIon. They aren’t gonna bench him. This isn’t Varsity on Friday nights. There isn’t a Steve Young waiting for his chance behind Montana. So…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah, I like Carmichael. I think it is a no-brainer. 

Haley I threw out there as an outside-the-box guy. He had 1 year with the Hue Jackson's Browns and has since been coaching in the USFL. 

Or maybe Carmichael reunites with Payton in Denver and we can bring in Davis Webb as our QB coach. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

This thread is actually more like “The Buffalo Bills keep ruining my Sundays. I called One Bills Drive to ask them for permission to come down to the sidelines to scream at Josh Allen for making me sad, but they told me that I’m not allowed to do that. So, I formally request that the team hire a proxy yeller. And if he keeps playing poorly, this proxy yeller needs to keep yelling louder until his play improves. I coach little league, and I know this to be the ideal coaching style.”

Too perfect.  And the great thing about this is it also checks the "I want to see FIRED UP EMOTION on the sidelines!" box for that crowd... 🤣

"Hey, look at Proxy Yeller, he's really pissed - we're going to win this one for sure!!!" :beer: 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

Wouldn't Palmer be that guy ? Josh usually works with him every off season & Palmer in no uncertain terms tells him just exactly where 7 how he's screwing up as far as his mechanics and all so he already has that but yes because of the vacancy they could use a good QB coach . 

So once again why not Frank ?

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Allen is the most productive QB in the NFL.  Full Stop.  Perfection js not achievable.  Full Stop.  The least problematic position on the Bills the last five years had been QB. 

Just stop. 

Agree.  Looking at ways to squeeze a 1 or 2 percent improvement out of Josh Allen is going to leave us grumbling about the same old problems again at the end of next season. Get some WR's that can get separation, run routes, and catch the ball and reload the defense through the draft with bigger and stronger, more physical, athletic defenders.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

You are aware that Brady had Allen routinely checking down on his throws once he took over?  Something that some folks on 2BD claimed Allen would NEVER do.  The Bills seem to be moving in a different direction on offense and it's intriguing.  We saw glimpses of it during the winning streak and tough loses to the Eagles & Chiefs.  I think we all may be pleasantly surprised at this time next year.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, T master said:

Wouldn't Palmer be that guy ? Josh usually works with him every off season & Palmer in no uncertain terms tells him just exactly where 7 how he's screwing up as far as his mechanics and all so he already has that but yes because of the vacancy they could use a good QB coach . 

So once again why not Frank ?

He doesnt work with Palmer anymore.

17 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

You are aware that Brady had Allen routinely checking down on his throws once he took over?  Something that some folks on 2BD claimed Allen would NEVER do.  The Bills seem to be moving in a different direction on offense and it's intriguing.  We saw glimpses of it during the winning streak and tough loses to the Eagles & Chiefs.  I think we all may be pleasantly surprised at this time next year.

He actually sticks to the run when it’s working too.  Qb is really the only person showing up in the playoffs.  He’s had one bad game that I don’t think we would’ve won even if he was great 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Oh please, how could you possible know this? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I don't think Josh was any better, or 'misbehaved' less, under Daboll compared to Brady? He actually had some really poor games - the run in 2021 where he threw seven interceptions in four games, which included the 9-6 loss to the Jags and the Colts blow out, for example. Then, near the end of that season, he threw three interceptions against the Falcons. Luckily his legs saved him, and the Bills, then.

Everyone forgets how up and down 2021 was for Josh because of how it ended, but it was not great all the time by a long stretch.

• Agree 1

This organization definitely needs to spend time this offseason worrying about the quarterback.

They should put their heads on their pillows at night happy as can be knowing that they have spent a ton of resources on Defense, have a defensive head coach, have a GM that works for the defensive head coach, have missed on big draft picks on defense and each and every year they get stuck in the same place in the playoffs because for various reasons said Defense can not make game changing plays to save their life in these playoff games.  They play great in november and december and then are no shows in the most important game.

So yea, lets worry about tough love for the quarterback this offseason while the organization throws I bet 80% of its available resources this offseason at the defense again while the same guy runs the defense.

Should workout great.  Maybe with some tough love Josh Allen will account for 65 Touchdowns next year while the defense gives up 8 yards per play at home in the playoffs again.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I don't think Josh was any better, or 'misbehaved' less, under Daboll compared to Brady? He actually had some really poor games - the run in 2021 where he threw seven interceptions in four games, which included the 9-6 loss to the Jags and the Colts blow out, for example. Then, near the end of that season, he threw three interceptions against the Falcons. Luckily his legs saved him, and the Bills, then.

Everyone forgets how up and down 2021 was for Josh because of how it ended, but it was not great all the time by a long stretch.

The Daboll love completely confounds me lol I think they were even less consistent back then but people only remember that kc playoff game where much like the chiefs just picked on Klein all game with some starters out, we picked on Sorensen with some chiefs starters out.  It wasn’t exactly rocket science on the part of the OC lol the dude is one of the worst safeties in nfl history 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.