What realistic coaching changes do you expect?

BigBadBills

1 minute ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Special Teams Smiley gone

Receivers coach Henry gone

Babich gets promoted by title, McD stays involved on D but becomes more HC again.

Interesting thought experiment. Is it more likely Pegula hires Belichick or fires McDermott?

What do you mean?  As in them existing together and Bill being DC?  Their ego's would never allow it but...

a Defense mixed with Sean's and Bills' could be epic 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

3 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Well, I think firing McD is<1%, but I also wonder if Pegula hiring BB is any greater than that. But, you raise another interesting thought, because BB may not get a HC job. 

I can see Pegula strongly considering hiring Bill if he contacts Terry to express interest.  

I'd give it a 1% chance Belichick allows himself to be a DC somewhere. He'd likely take a year off instead 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I can see Pegula strongly considering hiring Bill if he contacts Terry to express interest.  

I'd give it a 1% chance Belichick allows himself to be a DC somewhere. He'd likely take a year off instead 

I doubt it, but a man can dream.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I doubt it, but a man can dream.

Yes. Get Darth Vader.  This team lacks the "killer" mentality that exists in great teams. 

Look at Mahomes....fueled by Dion Dawkins idiotic comments saying "good luck" playing here.   

Someone on their staff obviously watched our player interviews and found that as fuel to use. 

Belichick can instill that in Allen and this roster.   Would he be willing to only be HC and not GM is the question 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1

Washington is the assistant head coach. I have said earlier Babich should be the one promoted. McD is too loyal to do this so unlikely.  If Babich moves up because he deserves it, Washington may feel overlooked and ask to get out.  This could likely be the best scenario.

Watching the Kurt Warner video linked here (worth the full watch) you understand the importance of the receivers being more crisp.  To me we are a lazy team on our breaks. Take the path of least resistance. The lack of crispness and forcing the D makes Josh's reads more difficult.  This is why our YAC is terrible. Josh has to see the break most of the time to make sure and trust the receiver and he are on the same change.  The EP offense with receiver reads requires everyone to read it the same.  Lazy breaks, inconsistent reads put receivers on top of each other making coverage easy.  If a D coordinator understands our receiver concepts they can teach their defenders to force the decision to their benefit to allow more predictability on their end.  On one hand the EP offense can be more variable but not when receivers choose wrong or are forced into a certain read and route. We need a more detail orientated receivers coach who will demand the proper break, read and crisp routes.  You can't expect Josh to demand it out of his receivers, he is too nice a guy ( Brady did though). Brady was likely an ass as a teammate but respected because he won and demanded precision in himself and therefore tolerated.  

Some changes have to happen....

This may force the Babich decision on McD.  I was worried about this once Wink got let go.  Dabol and Schone know what kind of coach he is, lets hope McD values him as well.  We could still lose him if he just prefers not to be under this Head coach. That would be very telling.

I think McDermott's seat is warmer than most fans would believe.  However, there are no compelling coaches to go get.  BB  is too old, Gruden hasn't coached in a few years, any coordinator is a lottery ticket.   You want this team to remain competitive in 2024 but again peak in 2025-2027.  

I expect Strength and Conditioning to *finally* get a makeover this year.

I expect a Defensive Coordinator to be named.  

The one I think is definitely necessary is ST. In spite of spending a lot on cap space for ST guys we didn't get much juice for the squeeze. Someone on that coaching staff watched Martin practice and went "yep, that's better than Haack". Combined with almost nothing on returns, an erratic Bass and the big mistakes vs the Jets (punt TD to lose it), Denver (12 men) and KC (terrible punts, missed tying FG from the 25) means that if I have to pick one coach to throw into The Pit, that's the one.

I suspect that the Bills will try to retain Brady and will only move on if he gets poached by another team for HC. I suspect that someone will be made official DC (outside hire or elevation) but McDermott keeps calling the plays

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Smiley replaced

Brady promoted 

McD stays as DC/HC

Huge upgrade on strength/conditioning 

Babbich named DC.

Rivera brought in as Assistant HC, Def assistant

Matt Patricia for ST Coordinator for the lulz

5 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I think McDermott's seat is warmer than most fans would believe.  However, there are no compelling coaches to go get.  BB  is too old, Gruden hasn't coached in a few years, any coordinator is a lottery ticket.   You want this team to remain competitive in 2024 but again peak in 2025-2027.  

I expect Strength and Conditioning to *finally* get a makeover this year.

I expect a Defensive Coordinator to be named.  

No compelling coaches to get. Belichick and his 9 Super Bowl appearances and 6 Super Bowl wins would be a massive upgrade over McDermott. Also, you have Harbaugh who took the 49ers to the Super Bowl and won a National Championship at Michigan. Then there is Vrabel who has done a good job with the Titans. Then you can go the OC route with a Ben Johnson or Bobby Slowik. There are a lot of compelling choices if Terry decided to move on from McDermott.

4 minutes ago, boyst said:

Babbich named DC.

Rivera brought in as Assistant HC, Def assistant

Matt Patricia for ST Coordinator for the lulz

I'll vomit if this happens.  Rivera is a LUNATIC.  He fined his own DC $100,000 for answering a question in an interview with his personal beliefs and opinions. Rivera would be a disgusting addition. He is a loser. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Realistically, I expect McD to move back to HC, promote Washington or Babich to DC, and probably hire Brady as OC. And Smiley stays on ST and gets a chance with a HC helping out.

That is, imo, minimal changes on a staff that needs change but wont change much.

Agreed, except that Smiley goes and we get another ST coordinator 

10 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'll vomit if this happens.  Rivera is a LUNATIC.  He fined his own DC $100,000 for answering a question in an interview with his personal beliefs and opinions. Rivera would be a disgusting addition. He is a loser. 

rivera would get mcdermott fired. that's my goal

• Haha (+1) 1

The problem I see with firing McDermott  is the potential/probable loss of all the assistant and position coaches leaving with him.  

McDermott may set the tone/character of the team and is responsible for the team overall,  but it's everyone behind him that trains/develops the players so they are ready to contribute when they step on the field. 

Bringing in belicheat also brings in his kid and all his other cronies and philosophies.

Curse me, but I'd take McDermott over belicheat any day of the week.

1 hour ago, Murdox said:

I am curious to know whether anyone on the Bills coaching staff told Josh at the two-minute warning to focus on getting another first down BEFORE trying in the end zone.  One more first down would have enabled the Bills to run down the clock (KC only had 2 timeouts left) before having to try the FG.  I think Josh should have been looking FIRST at the underneath routes on that play where Diggs was open rather than the end zone.  I'm always amazed at how often coaching staffs seem oblivious to clock management.

Wrong thread...but this continues to bother me. If we are trying to score (the 2nd down play call undoubtedly shows we wanted to score) with around 2 mins then why run the clock all the way down like they did? All that did was leave only enough time for KC to win the game. We would have been better off moving quicker so that there is possibly enough time for us to have another drive as well. 

45 minutes ago, Gregg said:

No compelling coaches to get. Belichick and his 9 Super Bowl appearances and 6 Super Bowl wins would be a massive upgrade over McDermott. Also, you have Harbaugh who took the 49ers to the Super Bowl and won a National Championship at Michigan. Then there is Vrabel who has done a good job with the Titans. Then you can go the OC route with a Ben Johnson or Bobby Slowik. There are a lot of compelling choices if Terry decided to move on from McDermott.

For me, the question is who can move the team from the very good to great if you decide McDermott cannot do it.  

72-year old Belichick isn't going to be around for the new stadium in 2026, and I think that's an important detail.  I would not want to go from McDermott to Belichick to coach #3 in such a short span of time with a new stadium opening.  

I consider Harbaugh to be as much of a lottery ticket as any coordinator, just pricier.  I think he'd have difficulty assembling an NFL-grade coaching staff.  

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

We heard the same thing when he fired Dorsey and Frazier.  It doesn't mean they were the wrong moves though.

Sure, but who hired them in the first place? Or this ST coordinator? Or the other coordinators he’s fired while here? 

Part of being a good coach is being able to find good staff. 

Don't be surprised is nothing happens, including hiring an actual DC again.

Because listening to a lot of these talking heads on TV they are all pretty much saying that the Bills should stay the course which is exactly what Beane and McDivisional probably love seeing.

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Prozac works dude.

Let’s revisit my post.

If I’m wrong and the Bills somehow win the SB with McDermott, I’ll eat crow and you can tell me to chew down all the Prozac I need.

I think Joe Brady as OC is going to be an interesting one. There are quite a few OC jobs open and you have to figure he is going to be on the list for several of them. Most notably, I think Cincy is the biggest threat to poach him if we decide to take our time on the decision. Brady was the passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach at LSU in 2019 when they won the National Championship with Burrow and Chase. One would assume he has a good relationship with both players and that opening would be appealing.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Sounds like McDermott will still be the DC/play caller, so we are likely going to lose Babich to the Giants. Not a fan of this.

Yeah Daboll probably(rightfully) gets fired after next season so it's not a great gig being his DC.........but he's buried here.   It would be different if he were leaving a cradle of coaches as a hot commodity.   

1 hour ago, ytownblofan said:

I think Joe Brady as OC is going to be an interesting one. There are quite a few OC jobs open and you have to figure he is going to be on the list for several of them. Most notably, I think Cincy is the biggest threat to poach him if we decide to take our time on the decision. Brady was the passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach at LSU in 2019 when they won the National Championship with Burrow and Chase. One would assume he has a good relationship with both players and that opening would be appealing.

Everyone here in Cincinnati is very sure that they will promote the QB coach Dan Pitcher.

I think they should name a DC/assistant HC. If McDermott is going to call the defense, then, if it hasn't already been done, have someone designated to be looking at/assisting him with the big picture when he's otherwise occupied on game day. Maybe it could be someone with better in-game instincts.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Sure, but who hired them in the first place? Or this ST coordinator? Or the other coordinators he’s fired while here? 

Part of being a good coach is being able to find good staff. 

Name me a head coach that's lasted this long who hasn't fired a crapload of coordinators.

I don't "expect" any. I think they'll give Brady more time, allowing him an entire off season to create his ideal system and make whatever adjustments he wants to make.

I'm suspect there will be an emphasis on O-line & WRs in FA and the draft to help, as I believe the Bills saw the success they can have if they run a more balanced offense that emphasizes the run game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.