Maybe the most incredible stat of the night

QB Bills

The Chiefs faced third down only 5 times throughout the game. Did a quick google check and that's only happened 9 other times in the last 25 years. And the crazy thing is, they only converted one of those 5. There are individual drives that have 5 third downs on the regular.

Just an epic meltdown on the defensive side of the ball. Not meaning to make this another fire McDermott thread, but he got absolutely schooled yet again in the playoffs. Yes they had injuries, but not nearly enough to excuse this level of futility.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/which-team-has-the-fewest-3rd-down-attempts-in-a-game

Edited by QB Bills
removed the 4th down stat
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Shocked 1
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 14
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, QB Bills said:

The Chiefs faced third down only 5 times throughout the game and did not face a 4th down. Did a quick google check and that's only happened 7 other times in the last 25 years. And the crazy thing is, they only converted one of those 5. There are individual drives that have 5 third downs on the regular.

Just an epic meltdown on the defensive side of the ball. Not meaning to make this another fire McDermott thread, but he got absolutely schooled yet again in the playoffs. Yes they had injuries, but not nearly enough to excuse this level of futility.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/which-team-has-the-fewest-3rd-down-attempts-in-a-game

They faced a fourth down with 8+ minutes to go in the fourth. They punted.

Fully agree.  The first 5 offensive drives we score 24 points without the benefit of any short fields against a healthy top 3 defense that only gave up 24 points or more in an entire game twice the whole year.  Yet when the offense comes back out for drive number 6 we are behind by 3.  The D simply had to do better and that is on McDermott.  Yes, they were important injuries, but the Dolphins defense was decimated even more than ours and did a better job last week.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

Actually I think the injuries were a pretty good excuse. Our MLB shouldn't even be in the NFL, no team wanted him. Losing 2 great mlb, Douglass didn't look 100%, obviously missed Benford, Von not close to 100%. Injuries were significant. Rapp out was significant as Hyde and Poyer are finished. 

Edited by klos63
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jhh9327 said:

Fully agree.  The first 5 offensive drives we score 24 points without the benefit of any short fields against a healthy top 3 defense that only gave up 24 points or more in an entire game twice the whole year.  Yet when the offense comes back out for drive number 6 we are behind by 3.  The D simply had to do better and that is on McDermott.  Yes, they were important injuries, but the Dolphins defense was decimated even more than ours and did a better job last week.  

But it wasn't missing guys in the middle that plays right into the Chiefs strengths. It is about matchups. Their two best offensive players this year - Kelce and Pacheco - operate exactly in the area the Bills were shorn of talent. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

They were horrible,  yes.  Unfortunately,  I fully expect that Beane and McDermott will overreact to it and heavily prioritize defense again this offseason,   with the same futile results.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not nearly enough injuries? Are you kidding? I am actually impressed McDermott did what he did with what he had the last 6 weeks. This game was not going to be a defensive battle given the QB we were facing. 

Allen had the ball and game in his hands and I am not saying he is not good or can't do it or anything, but he botched it as bad as Bass botched the field goal. He had the opportunity and missed. That's not on the defense, they gave us the opportunity with two huge stops at the end.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

Actually I think the injuries were a pretty good excuse. Our MLB shouldn't even be in the NFL, no team wanted him. Losing 2 great mlb, Douglass didn't look 100%, obviously missed Benford, Von not close to 100%. Injuries were significant. 

Then why did we wait to have Neal in the game? Excuses were good until we tried too late to find the answer. ... And guess what? It worked. Neal 1 on 1 at the line with Kelce.

In pregame they mentioned it with Kelce being upset early in the season and screaming at Reid on the sideline. Kelce needs a clean release for his timing and for his ability to scheme himself open based on the defense. It's clear Kelce doesn't adapt well when a wrench is thrown at him. At the earliest signs we should have thrown the wrench: Neal.

Sure the Chiefs would have probably run for a little more but so what? Running wasn't winning the game for them. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

But it wasn't missing guys in the middle that plays right into the Chiefs strengths. It is about matchups. Their two best offensive players this year - Kelce and Pacheco - operate exactly in the area the Bills were shorn of talent. 

Except that isn't true.  The Dolphins lost 3 linebackers for the season in week 18 against us.   The Dolphins were truly decimated on D outside of Ramsay.   

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

They were horrible,  yes.  Unfortunately,  I fully expect that Beane and McDermott will overreact to it and heavily prioritize defense again this offseason,   with the same futile results.  

What should they prioritize? 

Reid is better than McDermott

There were no injuries on the DL and they gutted us in the run game. 

How do you draft a LB in the third round and he's not able to play? Klein was terrible all game long and yet a young athletic LB only rarely saw the field. 

Hate McDermott. He's ruined the best years of Allen. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Running with 3rd-string linebackers and without any depth left at safety or corner to use as the additional big-nickel, what did you expect. The Bills were simply decimated in the back seven. No coaching can fix that. And that's a ton of pressure to put on a front four.

You had to know that going in. But yeah... fire the coach.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

What is puzzling to me, is that the LBs and secondary were banged up bad, and thus we could expect a Kelce and passing fest from KC. Instead, the healthy DLine, and backup LBs that are good against the run, got destroyed on the ground. The Bills run offense also destroyed KC's defense but they had more stops.

I think KC had 7 plays of 20+ yards and the Bills.... ZERO. These dropped passes of course matter but still, that was the difference. Even if the Bills outgained KC on the  ground, and had lots of 7-8 yards gainers, they also had 0 yarders, while KC seem to run at will, even at the very end when  it was obvious they would.

I just can't understand why the Bills run defense was again awful as in the recent past. Is it the schemes or the players?

10 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

Yes they had injuries, but not nearly enough to excuse this level of futility.

They went in Defensively, resigned to the fact they couldn’t compete. Zero energy, zero want to….. just defeated.

From the Defensive Master himself? He will never win in a big game where the other coach is good to great. 
Josh is being wasted 

Can't wait for the all-22 footage to come out for this game. 

I don't think we chipped Kelce with a DE off the LOS at all tonight(we did in the regular season game, but not in this game).  We didn't generate a pass rush, why not at the very least disrupt the timing of there #1 target (especially in the redzone)

7 minutes ago, boyst said:

Then why did we wait to have Neal in the game? Excuses were good until we tried too late to find the answer. ... And guess what? It worked. Neal 1 on 1 at the line with Kelce.

In pregame they mentioned it with Kelce being upset early in the season and screaming at Reid on the sideline. Kelce needs a clean release for his timing and for his ability to scheme himself open based on the defense. It's clear Kelce doesn't adapt well when a wrench is thrown at him. At the earliest signs we should have thrown the wrench: Neal.

Sure the Chiefs would have probably run for a little more but so what? Running wasn't winning the game for them. 

I stated early in game when it was clear that Klein is not athletic enough to do what was needed that we should needed a better athlete on the field, I suggested Elam but Neal is a great athlete also. I am not sure if we win anyways but the current guy was not getting it done. 

Just now, Orlando Tim said:

I stated early in game when it was clear that Klein is not athletic enough to do what was needed that we should needed a better athlete on the field, I suggested Elam but Neal is a great athlete also. I am not sure if we win anyways but the current guy was not getting it done. 

I have bias because I know Klein.

Klein wasn't the problem in the game. It was how he was used.

Williams is a liability with how he plays, Dobson is good for some scenarios.

I'd have got a hybrid 3-2-6 with Neal as the SLB over Swift like we did to shut him down. His two TDs were too easy.

Klein at MLB, Dobson at WLB with Dorian coming in on running downs. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Wide receiver.  The same thing they should have the last two offseasons.  

They can get WRs and still focus on defense. 

We need to replace Hyde and Poyer, most of the dline are FA, and we obviously need depth at LB. Can't get some guy on a family vacation to start a playoff game.

5 minutes ago, 86poker said:

Can't wait for the all-22 footage to come out for this game. 

I don't think we chipped Kelce with a DE off the LOS at all tonight(we did in the regular season game, but not in this game).  We didn't generate a pass rush, why not at the very least disrupt the timing of there #1 target (especially in the redzone)

Couldn’t afford to have a de smash Kelce at the line, we needed them to occupy the tackles. 

18 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Actually I think the injuries were a pretty good excuse. Our MLB shouldn't even be in the NFL, no team wanted him. Losing 2 great mlb, Douglass didn't look 100%, obviously missed Benford, Von not close to 100%. Injuries were significant. Rapp out was significant as Hyde and Poyer are finished. 

What's the excuse for the DL?

24 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

The Chiefs faced third down only 5 times throughout the game. Did a quick google check and that's only happened 9 other times in the last 25 years. And the crazy thing is, they only converted one of those 5. There are individual drives that have 5 third downs on the regular.

With what they had as far as players being second string or depth players or maybe a guy that put off his vacation to come back to plug a huge hole in the hull of the ship i think they did pretty good not good enough .

But how many times did the offense have the ball in the last quarter to come away with no points at all ? Then the fake punt thing, in the past every body use to B**CH about the coaches playing conservative but then when he does go for it & it doesn't work ya'll still B**CH .

McD couldn't win with this fan base if he handed them all a gold brick . 

What was the theme of the first half?  We ran the ball at will, and were able to stop KC at least some of the time or limit them to FGs.

What is the story of the 2nd half?  We could not stop KC to save our lives, and our running game completely disappeared, despite trying.

Think the coaches made adjustments at halftime?

Who do you think won that tactical battle?

The same as always in the big game.  HINT:  It was not McDermott.

• Like (+1) 2

Blaming the coach for everything is the easy way out.  While McD definitely had his faults, it was terrible down field WR skills, an inept kicker who has 3 misses in the post season, a decimated and not 100% defensive group that laid an egg.  The D line was big in the past few weeks, but they did not accomplish much in this game.  Not sure how you can blame McD for every single issue.  If they fired McD would I freak out?  No that is fine with me.  But I do not think he is the entire problem.  We clearly had a lack of talent on both sides of the ball.  I would have loved to beat KC at least.  That would have really made the season feel like a success.  No way this D was stopping Baltimore of SF anyways. 

• Disagree 1

47 minutes ago, jhh9327 said:

Josh did things no other QB did to that KC defense in this game. Over 21 points, and a TD on Sneed.

Josh worked miracles in this game, and McDermott couldn't get his team to muster anything besides one stop late.

They will use the injuries as an excuse, but what about the last three playoff exits before this one? What happened with those? It was the same thing where the defense failed Josh...not the other way around.

If you are the coach and the D coordinator and you pride yourself on that, and you continually fail when it matters most, then it's time you hand in your keys 

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, klos63 said:

They can get WRs and still focus on defense. 

We need to replace Hyde and Poyer, most of the dline are FA, and we obviously need depth at LB. Can't get some guy on a family vacation to start a playoff game.

They do have more needs on defense,  I agree,  and will need to add more players on that side.  But if you have an elite QB,  you build around him and give him the weapons he needs to succeed.  Right now,  they have a huge hole at WR2 and an apparently declining WR1.  They should have done more the last two years,  but it absolutely must be addressed this offseason.  

I don't think they can 'fix' this defense enough,  anyway.  The Bills have poured a ton of resources into the DL and DBs over the last several years. Their defense has allowed 107 points in 3 playoff games against KC.  134 points allowed in their last four playoff games including Cincy.  They need to fill the holes as best they can,  but their strategy of pouring resources into defensive personnel is not working.

• Agree 3

55 minutes ago, klos63 said:

and we don't have the Bernard injury if we don't play last week with the 1 seed.  And we don't have the 1 seed because of McD.  Time for a change.  

7 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

They will use the injuries as an excuse, but what about the last three playoff exits before this one? What happened with those? It was the same thing where the defense failed Josh...not the other way around.

To reiterate the point...134 points allowed in their last four playoff games,  despite all of the resources poured into the defense.

There's an old saying about the definition of insanity that might apply. 

54 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Allen had the ball and game in his hands and I am not saying he is not good or can't do it or anything, but he botched it as bad as Bass botched the field goal. He had the opportunity and missed. That's not on the defense, they gave us the opportunity with two huge stops at the end.

What are you referring to?

4 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

What are you referring to?

27-24 - Josh Allen and offense 4 plays 7 yards (fake punt)

27-24 - Defense causes fumble - touchback 

27-24 - Josh Allen and offense 3 plays -2 yards

27-24 - Defense forces Chiefs punt

27-24 - Josh Allen and offense drive down the field and come away with zero points

27-24 - Defense allows first down to end the game

These 3 series are about as bad as the defense was. 

Buffalo had a chance to win it in the end. Should’ve went for it on 4th instead of putting Bass out there IMO. I know hindsight is 20-20, but you have to assume KC would be able to get down there for the game winning FG with all the time left and the way they were effortlessly moving the ball. If you’re going do stupid risky **** like a fake punt in the 4th quarter then they should’ve gone for it. I like Allen’s chance of getting 9 yards more than a recently shaky Bass kicking a 44 yarder in the wind. As bad as the D was, they gave the offense a chance. Should’ve utilized all 4 downs while simultaneously taking more time off the clock. 

2 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

27-24 - Josh Allen and offense drive down the field and come away with zero points

So we've just decided to blame our quarterback for everything bad that happens I see. 

By the 4th quarter the Chiefs defense made adjustments to stop Cook and was tackling him for losses on nearly every handoff. Allen had to be superman time after time and his teammates let him down. Sherfield can't make a play on a deep pass. And then of course this drop for what should have been a go-ahead TD with 8+ mins to go.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, jhh9327 said:

Were they?  Think people are forgetting the injuries we had weren't to our starters, they were to the backups who were already replacing the starters who were out for injury.  When you're down to 4th string LB's and 3rd string CBs playing still one of the top offenses in league when they need to be, hard to fault the defense.

Actually the stat that I thought the OP was going to bring up was the Bills held the ball for 37 minutes but lost.  Which goes back to defense, but again with who was out there, hard to expect them to stop KC

1 hour ago, What a Tuel said:

Not nearly enough injuries? Are you kidding? I am actually impressed McDermott did what he did with what he had the last 6 weeks. This game was not going to be a defensive battle given the QB we were facing. 

Yeah sorry but I failed to see the Chiefs punter enter the field until the 4th quarter. Josh scored enough points to win this game.  If not for another missed kick and several huge drops by Cook, Sherfield and Diggs, we would've had 30+ pts. Maybe McD need to focus on finding a better conditioning program to minimize these injuries. 

36 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Brady didn't help.  We need to get the best OC available.  They would jump at the chance to work with Allen. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.