Anyone else more low-key about this loss than you thought you'd be?

Success

Maybe a weird post - but I was both excited about this game, and dreading it.  I was excited because winning would have been euphoria - but I expected losing to be completely devastating.  As it always has been for me.

I'm actually shocked that I'm in decent spirits right now.  It's nothing like previous losses in high-stakes games.  I usually can't sleep, but I think I'll sleep fine tonight.

Trying to figure it out.  Do I just expect this kind of stuff now?  Just curious if anyone else has a similar thing going on....

• Like (+1) 11
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 27
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Iritated we didn't beat the Chiefs, but who are we kidding...this D would have gotten carved up like Swiss Cheese against the Ravens next week anyway with the injuries and guys playing well under 100%. Wouldn't be surprised if Dodson, Douglas and Benford all need surgery in the offseason. Douglas looked about as bad as you could possibly look in this game.  Clearly was playing at maybe 75% max.  Was absolutely terrible.  Should have been benched for Elam.  He was killing us out there.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 16

We could have gotten blown out by the Ravens next week and I probably would been ok.

But this loss in painful.  Mostly because it feels like we are in NFL purgatory.  Good enough to make the playoffs but never good enough to beat elite QBs.  And I don’t see a way out any time soon.

• Agree 2

I think it’s different because we actually played and coached well and lost to a better team.  Plus we completely turned the season around 2 months ago and have a lot to build on going into off-season when it looked like everything was gonna have to be blown up at 6-6.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4

I am too... its called being numb. The bills have proven that they can't beat the chiefs either on the road or at home.  Nothing will change.  It will all be blamed on injuries.  McDermott will be back.  Brady will be back and the bills will draft a stud WR in the first round.  The bills will promise with Matt milano and tre white it will be different...

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Losing has become expected so I feel the same I guess.

on to next year. A least we know we will win the division again. Hopefully we stop screwing around and eae r he 1 seed. That would at least likely give us a favorable road to the AFCCG. 

We just lost at home 2 divisional games in a row, When will people realize homefield is actually not that much of an advantage?

• Like (+1) 1

It’s exhaustion for me. 

Legitimate sadness for Josh Allen.. a guy who doesn’t deserve the playoff fates he’s been handed. 

The realization that we probably won’t win it with McDermott, but we aren’t firing him so it is, at least, another year of this.  

I’m not mad, I’m just tired of this organization/sport.. mainly because I have no reason to believe anything will change next year.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 13

The anger comes in waves. But I accepted we wouldn't make the playoffs after we put 12 men on the field so everything since then has felt like an added bonus. Even tonight I was into it until the dumb fake punt, and then everything after that again was just an added bonus.

It's already solidified in my mind that we will never win a Super Bowl under McDermott, even if we pulled it out tonight I can't see us then beating two elite opponents in a row under this coaching staff. So in that sense it doesn't hurt as much. It feels inevitable.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chugga said:

We could have gotten blown out by the Ravens next week and I probably would been ok.

But this loss in painful.  Mostly because it feels like we are in NFL purgatory.  Good enough to make the playoffs but never good enough to beat elite QBs.  And I don’t see a way out any time soon.

Easy.  The new stadium isn't built on an old Native American Burial Ground.  Curse will be lifted once the stadium is demolished.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It sucks but this is what McDermott has done to us. 

KC was a mess offensively all year. And this loser HC/DC couldn't get it done. How many other coaches is he going to scapegoat until Pegula finally fires this guy????

The way he was talking about the DL I would not be surprised if Washington is fired in the next few days.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, Success said:

Maybe a weird post - but I was both excited about this game, and dreading it.  I was excited because winning would have been euphoria - but I expected losing to be completely devastating.  As it always has been for me.

I'm actually shocked that I'm in decent spirits right now.  It's nothing like previous losses in high-stakes games.  I usually can't sleep, but I think I'll sleep fine tonight.

Trying to figure it out.  Do I just expect this kind of stuff now?  Just curious if anyone else has a similar thing going on....

I wish I could get where you are.

I feel like crap. 

• Sad 1

I already grieved this season about 6 games ago... 

And now I feel exactly the same I did last year when they got knocked out:

1. I can really use the extra free time with the NFL now over for the year

AND

2. McD gotta go

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 4
  • Dislike 1

Just now, longtimebillsfan said:

I wish I could get where you are.

I feel like crap. 

Same. Really thought we were going to find a way to pull it off at the end and get past the Chiefs finally. Really sad that so many players just couldn’t execute tonight. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, weebdestroyer12 said:

We just lost at home 2 divisional games in a row, When will people realize homefield is actually not that much of an advantage?

I agree. Playing at home isn’t the key. The seeding is key which is why you want the 1 seed. 

Bills are actually a very good road team. 

The Bills have won the division 4 straight years. But because they were never the best team in the conference in any of those 4 seasons they never got the benefit of playing the worst remaining team in the divisional round.  Now maybe they would just lose at home in the conference title game, but at this point that is a step up I would welcome.

This feeling is mentioned in another thread. 

We are the Chargers now. Everyone including our own fans will expect us to lose and we will keep losing. Laughter comes next. 

We just had another WIdE RIgHT for gods sake. I can’t believe he sent Bass out there.

I knew this would happen but I did not expect that! McD is busting out the oldies.

• Like (+1) 1

Remember when Ronnie Harmon dropped the pass in the end zone?

That play. And every single heartbreaking loss in between, comes back to the surface (annually) when we come up short of winning a SuperBowl. 
On this occasion, thanks to old age, mental preparedness for Bills losses and copious amounts of bourbon…I have become comfortably numb. 

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Iritated we didn't beat the Chiefs, but who are we kidding...this D would have gotten carved up like Swiss Cheese against the Ravens next week anyway with the injuries and guys playing well under 100%. Wouldn't be surprised if Dodson, Douglas and Benford all need surgery in the offseason. Douglas looked about as bad as you could possibly look in this game.  Clearly was playing at maybe 75% max.  Was absolutely terrible.  Should have been benched for Elam.  He was killing us out there.

I would have rather been blown out by the Ravens.

Beating the Chiefs and avenging 13 seconds would have been a seasons accomplishment.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I feel bad for Josh. If this was ever to be a true legacy game and potential Brady/Manning comparison,  they needed this W.  Now Josh will be under even more pressure as this turnover narrative continues to be blown out of "media" proportion. After watching that stupid kick sail way right I too felt numb. Besides Josh, his fellow teammates & coaches let him down....again

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The KC offense played uncharacteristically well tonight. I don’t think a single receiver had a drop. MVS pulled in some great passes, especially the one against Taron up the sideline. The most penalized tackle in the league, Juwaan Taylor, didn’t have a single penalty all night. No false starts, holding, illegally downfield, nothing. And Mahomes made the Bills pay almost every time by finding the open player.

That middling offense which was the worst in Mahomes tenure, looked anything but middling. They looked like a well coached machine. Part of that was due to our injuries, the other part was just rising to the occasion and refusing to be stopped all night, aside from the one punt. They had another gear our defense couldn’t match and I’m not sure they would’ve matched it with a healthy Benford and Bernard. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

The Damar Hamlin fake punt killed whatever goodwill I had. Our defensive-minded Head Coach, who is the Defensive Coordinator, put the ball in the hands of a backup safety in a low percentage fake punt prayer that his defense wouldn’t have to take the field again. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

I numb to it at this point. This would be an all-time haunting loss for almost any other franchise, but I feel like I've see at least a dozen that were worse from the Bills. 

I expected that they would blow it, and they obliged. No surprise or gut punch feeling at all.

• Like (+1) 2

I was more relieved that the game was over. I don’t about you but these playoff games under McDermott aren’t fun to watch anymore. You know it’s gonna come right down to the end and Bills will most likely be on the losing end. Same thing every season. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Success said:

It’s called denial. It’ll pass then the grieving can begin. 

I’m definitely upset but I knew going into the game that playing  Mahomes with all the injuries on defense was going to be tough are only hope was hopefully getting pressure on him and forcing him into mistakes and it didn’t happen. The defensive line was our strongest unit all season and they were a no show and it cost us. 

Edited by BillMafia716ix
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, benderbender said:

The Damar Hamlin fake punt killed whatever goodwill I had. Our defensive-minded Head Coach, who is the Defensive Coordinator, put the ball in the hands of a backup safety in a low percentage fake punt prayer that his defense wouldn’t have to take the field again. 

Did McD confirm a fake punt was the plan?
Romo was talking like the players make the call based on a certain advantageous look, like a punter throwing to a wide open gunner. He said the Chiefs had 6 rushing to our 8 blocking but that Tranquil beat two blocks to make the play. Romo said it was the right call given the look.

I’m older now. Funny I was more upset after the Eagles loss than I was after this. To me going out in the final 8 is better than not making the playoffs. In the end we got as far as we could with a broken down old truck defense. Literally had nothing left to give. Now the offense scoring only 27…er 24 that does bother me. The Diggs, Cook & Sherfield drops bother me, as did Dawkins getting walked back into Allen when a the OL didn’t slide to Jones so McGovern could help double.

• Like (+1) 1

Feel about like I thought I would.  Fire McDermott, he is underachieving with a talent such as Josh Allen.   Fire him before it is too late for the Josh Allen Era. Mahomes has 2 SB wins, 3 appearances.  Josh Allen? 0.   Fire the ***** coaches

Yes, as they played a very good game, even on defense considering their loss of key players. Their offense was very good to excellent for most of the game but...

those three drops of great long Allen passes to Sherfield and then Diggs, more than the long missed field goal, were the game.

I have been saying the #1, with a bullet, most vital need in the draft was wide receiver.  This game made that even more clear.  First round pick needs to be the best wide receiver available, then another one in the first 4 rounds, along with a big, fast all around back.  Josh needs more weapons, clearly.

In the end the Bills could not compensate for their injuries on defense and don't have enough weapons on offense, which will be addressed this off season.  But I feel extremely confident in most other aspects of this team for next year. That, the last 8 weeks, and the game they played tonight, make this one a little easier to take.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.