6 months till it escapes this laboratory

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Of course.

Never happen.  There will be no customers for all that crap from temu.com. 🤔🤨

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/18/2024 at 1:37 PM, Einstein said:

Chinese scientists ‘create’ mutant Coronavirus with 100% kill rate in Mice: Alina Chan reacts

https://thehill.com/video/chinese-scientists-‘create’-mutant-coronavirus-with-100-kill-rate-in-mice-alina-chan-reacts/9337257/

It's always nice to do a little digging before one propegates fear mongering headlines, and while putting "create" mutant coronavirus isn't as bad as some, there are a lot of them out there.

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

@Beck Water Keep us up to date. You know this stuff. 

Yeah, I've been following this.  Here's the paper if anyone cares

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2024.01.03.574008v1.full

Note that biorx server is NOT a peer reviewed journal.  They didn't invite other scientists to look at their study design or results and critique.  That matters.

Bottom line up front: it appears real. there are legitimate and real concerns about this kind of work, but the result of this is likely not as alarming as headlines are making it sound.

Snopes does a pretty good job dissecting it.  https://www.snopes.com/news/2024/01/18/chinese-mutant-covid-19/

First, it's not Sars-CoV2 the virus that causes Covid, it's a pangolin coronavirus GX_P2V that's like a "cousin" of Sars-CoV2, isolated in 2017.

Second, the virus mutated while being propagated in cell culture, this wasn't genetic engineering to cause gain of function.  As Snopes notes: "The virus mutated from its original isolate, but it is a bit unfair to claim that the scientists "created" the virus. Since coronaviruses (and viruses in general) are known to rapidly mutate their genetic instructions, it is unsurprising that the virus used in the study mutated from the time it was isolated. In the paper (and in prior research by the same group), the researchers note that this particular variant of GX_P2V contained the mutation because it had better adapted to the cell cultures in which it was grown."

In simple terms, mutating is what RNA viruses do...they're slobs (technical talk: RNA viruses have a naturally lower fidelity of replication, so they incorporate 'mistakes' more often.  Mistakes that provide a competitive advantage to the virus = mutation) 

Third, the genetic engineering took place in the mice, who were given gene to express the human receptor proteins Covid binds to and uses to enter cells (technically: hACE2). But of course, that's all the humanity they gave the mice; we don't know how that genetic change affects the murine immune system or how high lethality in hACE2 mice would translate to a human population, or even.....a larger number of mice because.........wait for it.....

Fourth: we're talking FOUR mice.  They injected FOUR mice, and they all died.  "All died" is bad, but four is a damned small sample size.  I want to know what the mortality rate in these mice is, in their transgenic mouse facility, under normal conditions.  Lots of other questions.

Last but not least, there's a fair amount of moral indignation in the scientific community over this whole line of research and its risks vs. potential learnings and possible benefits in the first place.  Rightfully so IMHO:

The main concern from scientists revolved around whether the study was worth conducting in the first place, given the inherent risk of the research. Ensuring that research is conducted safely and responsibly has been a major talking point in the field since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.

If it would persuade China to for-real start treating wet markets like a problem and to crack down on the black-market trade in pangolins and pangolin parts, it might do some good.

That's all I got for ya right now @BringBackFergy, hope it helps.  If anything unclear, ask.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It's always nice to do a little digging before one propegates fear mongering headlines, and while putting "create" mutant coronavirus isn't as bad as some, there are a lot of them out there.

Yeah, I've been following this.  Here's the paper if anyone cares

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2024.01.03.574008v1.full

Note that biorx server is NOT a peer reviewed journal.  They didn't invite other scientists to look at their study design or results and critique.  That matters.

Bottom line up front: it appears real. there are legitimate and real concerns about this kind of work, but the result of this is likely not as alarming as headlines are making it sound.

Snopes does a pretty good job dissecting it.  https://www.snopes.com/news/2024/01/18/chinese-mutant-covid-19/

First, it's not Sars-CoV2 the virus that causes Covid, it's a pangolin coronavirus GX_P2V that's like a "cousin" of Sars-CoV2, isolated in 2017.

Second, the virus mutated while being propagated in cell culture, this wasn't genetic engineering to cause gain of function.  As Snopes notes: "The virus mutated from its original isolate, but it is a bit unfair to claim that the scientists "created" the virus. Since coronaviruses (and viruses in general) are known to rapidly mutate their genetic instructions, it is unsurprising that the virus used in the study mutated from the time it was isolated. In the paper (and in prior research by the same group), the researchers note that this particular variant of GX_P2V contained the mutation because it had better adapted to the cell cultures in which it was grown."

In simple terms, mutating is what RNA viruses do...they're slobs (technical talk: RNA viruses have a naturally lower fidelity of replication, so they incorporate 'mistakes' more often.  Mistakes that provide a competitive advantage to the virus = mutation) 

Third, the genetic engineering took place in the mice, who were given gene to express the human receptor proteins Covid binds to and uses to enter cells (technically: hACE2). But of course, that's all the humanity they gave the mice; we don't know how that genetic change affects the murine immune system or how high lethality in hACE2 mice would translate to a human population, or even.....a larger number of mice because.........wait for it.....

Fourth: we're talking FOUR mice.  They injected FOUR mice, and they all died.  "All died" is bad, but four is a damned small sample size.  I want to know what the mortality rate in these mice is, in their transgenic mouse facility, under normal conditions.  Lots of other questions.

Last but not least, there's a fair amount of moral indignation in the scientific community over this whole line of research and its risks vs. potential learnings and possible benefits in the first place.  Rightfully so IMHO:

If it would persuade China to for-real start treating wet markets like a problem and to crack down on the black-market trade in pangolins and pangolin parts, it might do some good.

That's all I got for ya right now @BringBackFergy, hope it helps.  If anything unclear, ask.

So, should the CDC start their own “response” research to look for a vax in the event this thing is unleashed? How do they do that if the virus is unique to China labs (i.e. we don’t have access to this new “super virus”)?

12 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

So, should the CDC start their own “response” research to look for a vax in the event this thing is unleashed? How do they do that if the virus is unique to China labs (i.e. we don’t have access to this new “super virus”)?

My take for whatever it's worth, is "Nah". 

For one thing, it's not clear that it's a "super virus" to anything in the wild.  There are a number of things that, if you're forcibly infected with a significant amount, might kill you but that aren't particularly good at spreading on their own.

For research on a potential vaccine, we have the published genetic sequence of this ***** (Genbank Accession #MT072864) and the beauty of mRNA vaccines is, that could be all we need.  It's worth having a look at that, and someone probably is.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/18/2024 at 9:40 PM, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I wish more people were worried about climate change which affects us all instead of this China scare nonsense...

Yeah but we ain't gonna do squat about climate change.  I personally do believe the Earth is one of its MANY periodic climate change transitions right now...but what the heck are we gonna do about it?

I am looking forward to Miami Beach being under water however; I live about an hour north of Miami and SE FL is real shithole.

On 1/18/2024 at 2:37 PM, Einstein said:

Chinese scientists ‘create’ mutant Coronavirus with 100% kill rate in Mice: Alina Chan reacts

https://thehill.com/video/chinese-scientists-‘create’-mutant-coronavirus-with-100-kill-rate-in-mice-alina-chan-reacts/9337257/

Well, cmon now … it’s The Hill!  Right up there with the New England Journal of Medicine. Beware!

1 hour ago, Augie said:

This kinda puts a little more pressure on the “Win One Before I Die” crowd. 

Yeah, more like "Win one before humanity makes itself extinct."

it's Chinese so I'm sure we'll come back to life 30 minutes later

On 1/19/2024 at 4:34 PM, Jon in Pasadena said:

Next time I'm a mouse, I'll be very concerned.

the copyright on Mickey Mouse has just expired. Coincidence? I think not

5 hours ago, Augie said:

This kinda puts a little more pressure on the “Win One Before I Die” crowd. 

Humanity goes extinct.....but the important thing is the Bills managed to win the Super Bowl before it all came to an end.

You have to have your priorities.

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 1/18/2024 at 2:53 PM, That's No Moon said:

Well great. Good job. So when it gets out in China next time everyone listen to the lockdown so they only eliminate themselves

whole thing sounds like psyop to produce your exact reaction. it might get me to wash my hands after "only" peeing though

8 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

whole thing sounds like psyop to produce your exact reaction. it might get me to wash my hands after "only" peeing though

Squid: In the Navy, they taught us to wash our hands after we pee.

Jar Head: In the Marines, they taught us not to piss on our hands.

• Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.