Bills release Fournette from the Practice Squad

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

There's definitely other players that would be better candidates to release from the Practice Squad than Lenny. So it had to have been more than just needing to make room on the PS for a Punter like Matt Haack or a LB like Christian Kirksey.

Matt Haack?  We didn't get enough of that the first time around?  Wrong Matt.  The only Matt we should sign as a punter is Matt Araiza. 

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

59 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Matt Haack?  We didn't get enough of that the first time around?  Wrong Matt.  The only Matt we should sign as a punter is Matt Araiza. 

Remember the game Haack shanked three punts in a row? And then Beane came out after the season and said they couldn’t make a move on him (but wanted to) because of the chemistry he had holding for Bass? Haack was terrible. 

• Like (+1) 3

I love playing arm chair GM as much as the next guy. Training camp speculation, the draft, free agency, even week to week estimating who will be active or who might be actived on IR…but:

People honestly questioning why Murray > Fournette and second guessing McDermott and Beane’s fathomed allegiance to Murray as some egregious disregard for the uber talented Fournette is a fabricated fan-fiction. 

Sometimes we read too far into the tea leaves. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

58 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I love playing arm chair GM as much as the next guy. Training camp speculation, the draft, free agency, even week to week estimating who will be active or who might be actived on IR…but:

People honestly questioning why Murray > Fournette and second guessing McDermott and Beane’s fathomed allegiance to Murray as some egregious disregard for the uber talented Fournette is a fabricated fan-fiction. 

Agreed. I have no problem with Murray. He plays limited snaps and is a complementary player for the most part on the field and appears to be a leader in the lockerroom. The combination of Cook, Murray and Ty Johnson has been successful all year.

Fournette filled in okay when needed, and now they need to move on due to injuries. Maybe he'll be re-signed, maybe not--- but this doesn't really move the needle as a dramatic development.

Edited by Punch
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Would've liked to see him get a chance in short-yardage situations a few times. Their version of the tush push is predictable as hell (Allen always goes left), and it's clear they've gone to the well one too many times there.

I agree. The element of surprise has gone.  When the DL is ready for the push-tush, it is not working and we are barely getting to the other side and that is not going to hurt us.  We have James Cook's speed, naked bootleg, a quick hitch and throw or have Allen run from the shotgun.  They need to mix it up.  Go Bills !!!

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Brand J said:

Remember the game Haack shanked three punts in a row? And then Beane came out after the season and said they couldn’t make a move on him (but wanted to) because of the chemistry he had holding for Bass? Haack was terrible. 

Yet I got a disagree on my post, LOL!!  Matt Haack was a hack.  Shankopotamus. 

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Yet I got a disagree on my post, LOL!!  Matt Haack was a hack.  Shankopotamus. 

Rochesterfan likes to disagree with almost everything.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I’m guessing this was more about needing to sign other players to offset the losses on defense.

This!

And with Johnson back, there was no high need to keep him. He was a luxury, not a necessity.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Johnson is playing great and Murray has done his job. When Fournette was active it’s not like he played better then either. With all the injuries someone had to go and Fournette would probably be on line 1 if something bad happened moving forward. 

14 hours ago, JohnNord said:

To be fair, he had a chance last week in Miami and didn’t do very much as a blocker or runner.  He also didn’t help that much with Josh’s QB sneak.  

We all want to think of him as Playoff Lenny but he’s not that guy anymore

yep… I saw a guy that wasn’t that interested in helping to push on the sneaks and was trying not to make it too obvious.  

If that had been Lenny pushing instead of Gilliam against the Steelers, I doubt Josh gets that big first down. 

I think the team decided right then that if a need at another position arose, Lenny would be the first to go. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

is it possible we put someone on IR and sign him to the 53? 

I have a question about the 53 number. Before the last game, someone posted up the roster of who would be active for the game, divided by position. I counted up all the names and came up with only 48. Anyone care to explain this?

29 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Due to the stupid rule of only two call ups per week and all the injuries we suffered, we need them for LB, CB and WR. They probably told Lenny this and he requested his release. 

Before COVID, there were no call ups allowed.  You had to add someone to the active roster first.  So it could be worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bob Jones said:

I have a question about the 53 number. Before the last game, someone posted up the roster of who would be active for the game, divided by position. I counted up all the names and came up with only 48. Anyone care to explain this?

You’re confusing active roster (53) versus game day roster (48). 

10 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Once McD said he wasn’t going to get into the reasons, you know there was some problem with Lenny beyond the roster/PS juggling. 

And the “problem” was nothing more than that Lenny played like ***** in his opportunities and became the first guy to go when they needed to make a move.  

10 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

And some are reading to far into other "medicinal" leaves.

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I’m guessing this was more about needing to sign other players to offset the losses on defense.

More PS players when they can only escalate two per game?

I suppose they could be used in rehearsals as AJ Klein was used for Steelers game.

2 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Still confused. Leading up to the game, how on earth do they not ensure that they will have 53 active for the game?

Only 48 players are eligible to play on game day.   5 are inactive each week and the inactives are typically reported around an hour before game time.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Was clearly a disconnect with his expectations of playing time… and their perception of his  current abilities …

Murray has been ordinary for some time now .. so if Fournette can’t beat him out there must be something wrong with him..

Last time Murray was actually good: 2022.

Last time Fournette was actually good: 2021.

So ... whatever. They stuck with the guy that was there all season.

And so the legend of Leonard Fournette on the Bills comes to a tragic end.  Apparently the Bills coaches trusted their own judgement of what they were seeing day after day over that of the fans.  

I think Fournette was told he might be called back to the practice squad if our personnel situation stabilizes.  He was released only because we have no injuries to RBs and we have so many to other positions.  He might be sticking around Buffalo, or be staying in touch, in case the Bills call him back.  He wants a ring, and being part of the Bills team if they win it all will be worth the wait on his part.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.