Best Players to not win an MVP

Wizard

Jerry "Freakin" Rice never won a regular season MVP.

Drew Brees, Randy Moss, and Roger Staubach did not either.

Yes, the Super Bowl win and SB MVP is most important.

Still, I am wondering who can honestly vote for Lamar Jackson to win a 2nd MVP when Josh Allen is significantly more valuable than Lamar.

And, it is just criminal if Lamar had 2 MVP's when the two best WR's (imo) did not win one combined in Rice and Moss.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

13 wins in 16 games is enough for Lamar to beat out Josh for MVP.  That and too many turnovers for Josh.  Lamar can have the MVP as long as Josh is Super Bowl MVP.

Wins aren't a QB stat, even though people like to act like they are. Similar to people always saying it's "QB vs QB"... People are just way to enamored with QBs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Josh could throw 50 tds but if he has 15 ints the world comes to an end as we know it.  Plus what moron decided the mvp voting ends at week 18.  Just more dumb nonsensical stuff.

You have to end it at the regular season. It's a regular season award.

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Wins aren't a QB stat, even though people like to act like they are. Similar to people always saying it's "QB vs QB"... People are just way to enamored with QBs.

They actually are.  Open the link & for the year by year career stats, it lists QBrec, Quarterback Record

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02.htm

15 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Still, I am wondering who can honestly vote for Lamar Jackson to win a 2nd MVP when Josh Allen is significantly more valuable than Lamar.

And, it is just criminal if Lamar had 2 MVP's when the two best WR's (imo) did not win one combined in Rice and Moss.

Especially since Allen's 2020 season was better in every way than Lamar's 2019 season where he was unanimous MVP and Allen lost our to an Aaron Rodgers all time season.

It was and always is anybody but Josh.  Half the people hyped up over Josh this year are out of the playoffs.  The other half haven't played yet.  Wouldn't shock me if Lamar was 1 and done again either.  Is what it is.  I dont even really care.  I want a SB.  3 to go baby!

Edited by Scott7975

48 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Josh could throw 50 tds but if he has 15 ints the world comes to an end as we know it.  Plus what moron decided the mvp voting ends at week 18.  Just more dumb nonsensical stuff.

For fairness to those who were pipped at the end of the season? Guy could be average, go on a tear and win SB. Philly just did it with Foles. 

Allen hasn’t won it since 2020. These past 4 seasons are all reasonable cases that should qualify him for MVP at least once. Hasn’t happened. Let’s focus on the SB’s and SBMVPs instead. 

He put up MVP numbers in 2020 but Aaron Rodgers was unreal that year.  He's had some bad luck this year.  His three interception game came on the first game of the year on MNF.  He also had some really bad luck on interceptions as it seems there weren't hardly any drops by CB's like you see with other QB's.  Both helped fuel the turnover machine narrative.  He takes more chances than most QB's but not to the extent the national media portrays.

Drew Brees' 2011 season has to be #1 on the list. 110 passer rating A ridiculous 82 QBR and lead his team to a 13-3 record. 47 total TD's and over 5,500 total yards.

He loss to Rodgers who lead the Packers to a 15-1 record, 122 passer rating and 83 QBR.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

Personally, I love Josh getting snubbed for everything. Snubbed on the MVP voting. Snubbed for the Pro Bowl. Snubbed for the All Pro team. It's great. I hope they keep pissing him off at every turn. That's been the story of his life and the source of the chip on his shoulder since HS. Go out there, flex on all of them, and get the ONLY trophy that matters. 

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

9 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, I agree it's not like they touch the ball on virtually every offensive play ... oh wait ... never mind.

Edited by Epstein's Mother

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

He put up MVP numbers in 2020 but Aaron Rodgers was unreal that year.  He's had some bad luck this year.  His three interception game came on the first game of the year on MNF.  He also had some really bad luck on interceptions as it seems there weren't hardly any drops by CB's like you see with other QB's.  Both helped fuel the turnover machine narrative.  He takes more chances than most QB's but not to the extent the national media portrays.

I dont have PFF but i believe his turnover worthy throw rate is down a good bit.  hes just gotten super unlucky on tipped balls and other weird things (taking away drops he is also the most efficient which is crazy).  Overall, yeah hes getting screwed by the "narrative."  

3 minutes ago, Epstein's Mother said:

Yeah, I agree it's not like the touch the ball on every offensive play ... oh wait ... never mind.

By this logic you think Stafford became a much better QB when we went to LAR.  Cause his W/L record is so much better than when he was in Det.  So as W/L is a QB stat as said he mustve really regressed just before he was traded.  Or maybe hes always been good and the team around him was garbage a few of those years so QB W/L record is not a good stat.  

9 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

It's only on QBs.  Here, look at Diggs-not there.  It IS a QB specific stat.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DiggSt00.htm

See my comment above.  If you think QB W/L record is a QB stat, which implies to me that you think it defines how good a QB is playing, then you mustve thought Stafford got a so much better when he went to the Rams.  Just a crazy career resurgence to go from 5-11 to 12-5 means he must have completely changed his game around (this is sarcasm he was pretty much the same player he was the previous 12 years).  PFR might not give you the W/L record for every position but you can do the same exercise.  Did you see that steelers were 1-11 without watt coming into this game?  Its just that analysis.  

24 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I dont have PFF but i believe his turnover worthy throw rate is down a good bit.  hes just gotten super unlucky on tipped balls and other weird things (taking away drops he is also the most efficient which is crazy).  Overall, yeah hes getting screwed by the "narrative."  

By this logic you think Stafford became a much better QB when we went to LAR.  Cause his W/L record is so much better than when he was in Det.  So as W/L is a QB stat as said he mustve really regressed just before he was traded.  Or maybe hes always been good and the team around him was garbage a few of those years so QB W/L record is not a good stat.  

I think Matthew Stafford is the same QB now that he was in Detroit.  I'm simply saying that a huge amount of a teams success is predicated on the play of it's QB.  Which position do you think is more important?

4 minutes ago, Epstein's Mother said:

I think Matthew Stafford is the same QB now that he was in Detroit.  I'm simply saying that a huge amount of a teams success is predicated on the play of it's QB.  Which position do you think is more important?

100% agree its hugely important to W/L which is often why its assigned to QB.  It does matter more than any other position, but it is still a team stat. 

So winning MVP because youre team is really good (49ers, Ravens) and youre the QB doesnt seem correct.  Look at the QB specific numbers at least.  Give me 4th quarter comebacks (of which josh has 8 this year, but the defense let 4 become L's) which is also a bit of a team thing but is definitely more QB focused cause it takes away defense and special teams (besides the GW FG).  

Josh will have a tough time winning an MVP because of the turnovers his critics will say. Josh makes many more good/great plays for the Bills then bad ones but he has a reputation as a turnover machine. Whether that is fair or not it is what it is. If he could cut down on the TO's while still producing the TD's that he does, then he will have a good chance to win it. For me personally I could care less if he wins the MVP award or not. Just win the Super Bowl. If he wins the Super Bowl MVP, then that would be pretty cool as well.

28 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I have absolutely no idea why Jackson is being viewed as having an MVP season other than marketing purposes. 

CMC, Cheetah, and Dak are all more deserving. 

I think Allen is the only player in history to have 40+ TDs and NOT win MVP. 

QB and best player on the best team (1 seed in harder conference and pummeled the 1 seed in the other conference, both could rest week 18).  All of that is team stuff to me.

Lol allen being the only player with 40 TDs and being the only non winner (i need to check that) cause hes done 4 times!!!!!  

1 minute ago, YattaOkasan said:

So winning MVP because youre team is really good (49ers, Ravens) and youre the QB doesnt seem correct. 

I completely agree.  How could Brock Purdy be considered the front runner for MVP a few weeks ago when he had CMC in the backfield with him?

• Like (+1) 1

What’s criminal is Dallas getting all those all pro nods.

like come on be subjective record means crap when your competition is terrible and you play terrible against equal or better competiton 

Same can be said about Lamar winning 13 ganes

whatever his competitors weren’t really up to speed

in not like everyone else in fhis

i don’t think San Fran is that big and scary either - I don’t think Baltimore makes it out this weekend against the texans

so we BETTER beat down the chiefs because it’s gonna be the winner of this goes to the sb

37 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I have absolutely no idea why Jackson is being viewed as having an MVP season other than marketing purposes. 

CMC, Cheetah, and Dak are all more deserving. 

I think Allen is the only player in history to have 40+ TDs and NOT win MVP. 

Nope. 

Brees had a MONSTER 46TD, 5,500 yard 110 passer rating and 82 QBR season in 2011 while leading the Saints to a 13-3 record and loss to a 15-1 Arron Rodgers lead Packers team. Rodges has spoiled several great MVP deserving seasons from other QB's. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

What’s criminal is Dallas getting all those all pro nods.

like come on be subjective record means crap when your competition is terrible and you play terrible against equal or better competiton 

Same can be said about Lamar winning 13 ganes

whatever his competitors weren’t really up to speed

in not like everyone else in fhis

i don’t think San Fran is that big and scary either - I don’t think Baltimore makes it out this weekend against the texans

so we BETTER beat down the chiefs because it’s gonna be the winner of this goes to the sb

I would love to see the Texans pull off the upset but a young team on the road with a rookie QB (who has played very well) winning at Baltimore. I don't see it happening. Hope it does.

10 hours ago, Wizard said:

I'm sure all the fans in Baltimore would agree with you.

The simple question to answer is if Josh Allen is significantly more valuable, why did he manage to lose two more games and likely had been three if last game mattered to Ravens.  Take the Denver, NE, Jax games.  If the Bills had won two of them good chance then Allen would be the MVP.

10 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I really think he’s rewriting the analytics of football.  He’s so good at picking spots to take shots where even an INT doesn’t hurt terribly this season that it kind of makes me chuckle when people just talk about his total INT number.  Not all ints are created equal

hes giving his guys shots to make plays for pretty low risk on the majority of his ints it feels like 

5 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I'm sure all the fans in Baltimore would agree with you.

The simple question to answer is if Josh Allen is significantly more valuable, why did he manage to lose two more games and likely had been three if last game mattered to Ravens.  Take the Denver, NE, Jax games.  If the Bills had won two of them good chance then Allen would be the MVP.

Bills had the worst defense in the league for that stretch you mentioned…that jags game decimated the team until Douglas got acclimated and righted the ship a little bit 

send Lamar’s number 1 ranked defense on a 1 month vacation and he’d have less wins too 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.