Game Postponed! - To be played Monday at 4:30pm

phypon

4 minutes ago, Jamie Nails said:

Fwiw- It’s absolutely dumping right about, 2-3 miles from the stadium. 

Hmm, two posts above, fella is saying the weather folks got it wrong. Of course, he lives in Florida and admits to now tolerating the Fish.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, nucci said:

tomorrow will be better...colder but less wind and snow....as far as I know

As far as you know. 

1 hour ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

I think the NFL is big time upset that Kathy Hochul  played their hand by issuing the state of emergency and travel ban. The NFL wanted a playoff game to be played in a blizzard so badly.  The ratings would have been through the roof.

The ratings likely would have been the same blizzard or not.  It would have been the only game on,  all fans would have watched it.

Rte 219 is closed and the I-90 exit around Blasdell is currently a 100% white out on traffic cams.

I now have zero doubt people would have died in this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Simon said:

Rte 219 is closed and the I-90 exit around Blasdell is currently a 100% white out on traffic cams.

I now have zero doubt people would have died in this.

How close to Indiana, PA are you? I'm staying there tonight and tomorrow...

41 minutes ago, boyst said:

The news stations are ridiculous. They're showing previously recorded video right now on wgrz and the abc show. 

They're showing ridiculous footage that can be proven wrong by the ny thruway cam system and other weather cams

Also check out 511ny.org/cctv

https://511ny.org/cctv

you can select different roads throughout the region instead of just the thruway. 

Edited by Just Jack
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, boyst said:

How close to Indiana, PA are you? I'm staying there tonight and tomorrow...

Somewhere between 2 and 2-1/2 hrs

You'll get some snow down there overnight tomorrow but no more than a couple inches

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I know it’s got to be super frustrating for people with plans affected by this, but it’s weather, not a math formula with a simple answer. It is by nature uncertain, so it’s hard to have the perfect answer. 

I'm fine with the delay. Actually it works out great for me personally.

It's more frustrating to me because the league knew the potential for the issue and held out for the perfect option rather than being proactive.

Now, of the options available a one day delay on what was already a holiday weekend is the least worst option available. But the NFL doesn't get to grouse about ratings because Hope is not strategy

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Always the way. They have no concept of what this even looks like. For most it would be the worst winter weather they ever faced and where they live it would go down as a "storm of the century" that people would be talking about for the next 100 years.

Here, it's just a part of life and we respect Mother Nature, stay indoors and then clean up after.

They won't fly into the main airport, likely the one in Niagara Falls which should be fine.

It's the wind I'm worried about, not the snow.  Not sure how the wind is in the Falls.  But I agree with you; if they have to, they'll fly to the Falls and then bus in.  Frankly they probably could fly to Rochester and then bus around the snow if they have to. 

"But, according to a source familiar with the Buffalo Bills, there are still obstacles to overcome in order for the game to be played on that day (monday), at that time, in that stadium, with fans in the stands."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-bills-postponed-heres-what-needs-to-occur-for-afc-wild-card-game-to-happen-monday-as-scheduled/

Edited by JakeFrommStateFarm

11 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

All it takes is a 5 min whiteout and some knuckleheads going 60, to turn the 90 into a parking lot.  

Speaking of white outs, its the worst it's been in OP since this started.  I can't see more than about 50 feet.  It was decent maybe an hour ago, and then the switch flipped.  Anyone who questions why the game was cancelled should try to get a live look at this.  There would have been thousands of stranded motorists, probably some deaths.  And, though it pales in importance, from a football perspective the game would have been a joke. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Up in southern Niagara County we haven't seen much accumulation at all. But the wind at times has been fierce, and visibility was null for a spell right before sundown. 

Hate to think the authorities and the league got it wrong with respect to travel danger tomorrow (I don't know that they did, but it sucks if so), because so many or our fellow citizens are always just waiting for another reason to lose further trust in the "experts" or "authorities". I think the postponement was smart based on best information at the time. Not much of a downside tbh (minus the further radicalization of internet skeptics). 

I lived in Niagara county for a while and now I live in Lancaster.  Niagara always seemed to get way less and be last in line from my experience.  Also, its weather and we are talking about safety here.  Its better to err on the side of caution and get it wrong then to not do anything and get it wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SectionC3 said:

Speaking of white outs, its the worst it's been in OP since this started.  I can't see more than about 50 feet.  It was decent maybe an hour ago, and then the switch flipped.  Anyone who questions why the game was cancelled should try to get a live look at this.  There would have been thousands of stranded motorists, probably some deaths.  And, though it pales in importance, from a football perspective the game would have been a joke. 

Yeah, the band has settled right over OP and Blasdell as predicted. 2" an hour expected. 

• Like (+1) 2

Hard to grasp even for us. It’s literally low angle, bright sunshine in my front windows—as sun is sneaking thru under the band, but blizzard snow band at same time. “Pretty” but glad I don’t live in a tent or teepee

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I went to West Seneca schools. Those bastards never closed and if they did, were the very last. Didn't help that "W" was at the end of the alphabet on the radio school closing broadcast!

😕😞 

I went to Amherst and it was the same way.  Every damn school was closed except Amherst lol.  Now they close all the time.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Process said:

With the storm expected to continue throughout today and travel bans still in place, it's going to take a hell of an effort to get the stadium and surrounding area ready for a game tomorrow. 

There's not that much snow.  If people respect the travel bans, then it should be easy to get the roads cleared in short order.  The issue isn't the snow (like it has been in recent storms), its the combination of a fair amount a snow and an absurd amount of wind. So the issue really is visibility. 

As far as I can tell with the stadium, the seating area is not going to shoveled well, and that just is what it is.  A bigger issue is going to be ingress and egress around the stadium, and simply getting enough people there to work the game (ushers, security, grounds) so that it can be hosted.  That can probably be overcome, too. 

The biggest issue, aside from getting the Steelers here, is unfreezing the field.  It's covered, and it should be OK if it was covered dry.  But if it was covered damp or wet, it could be a frozen mess and they might need some sun and heat to get it playable.  

5 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Yeah, the band has settled right over OP and Blasdell as predicted. 2" an hour expected. 

It's coming down.  There's probably a little more than foot as of two hours ago, and another couple of inches since then.  It was absolutely, completely, totally the right call to postpone this game. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

It appears the NFL actually wanted to move the game to Atlanta vs playing in a blizzard. 

Probably just trying to make the Bills another experiment again and see how it works out.  I heard least year that they want the Championship games to be played on neutral fields.

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Probably just trying to make the Bills another experiment again and see how it works out.  I heard least year that they want the Championship games to be played on neutral fields.

You heard correctly, but that was related to the Damar Hamlin situation rather than some “ experiment “. More just a “ fair” solution to Buffalo if both the Chiefs and Bills qualified for the AFC title game. The Bills ( and Bengals) played one less game than KC, and the Bills had a head to head win over the Chiefs so this would only have taken place if that matchup materialized. As we all know, Buffalo was eliminated in the divisional round. At the time, the NFL did say that neutral site Championship games were probably happening down the road. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

I think the NFL is big time upset that Kathy Hochul  played their hand by issuing the state of emergency and travel ban. The NFL wanted a playoff game to be played in a blizzard so badly.  The ratings would have been through the roof.

That’s not true. The travel ban wasn’t put in lace until after the announcement to postpone was made. 

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Thats actually what the league wanted to do.  

I read by some official source that the league wanted to move the game to Atlanta but that Hochul had to push back and suggest that Monday in Buffalo would be better.  

Gotta actually respect her for that.  I can definitely see the league pushing for neutral sites however, which might actually help us a team since so many of us no longer live in Buffalo.   Not that it wouldn't be in Buffalo, but we might have an advantage for the neutral site thing over other teams.  Having said that I for one am not in favor of it.  Simply manage these weather situations better.  

From the few places I'm reading weather-wise, it seems that it's going to let up as we approach the evening with on/off snow between now and tomorrow, even during the game, but winds on/around 20 mph or so, which is a pretty normal January day in WNY.  

Doesn't seem as if playing is going to be an issue.  And the Steelers should be able to fly or bus out tonight to get to Buffalo, and even if they practice there by come here tomorrow morning early it should be fine.  It's a "subway series" flight kinda thing, not a west coast game.  Hell, it's an assent/decent/approach flight.  

As to the stadium itself, Not sure how much snow is down, but last year for the Miami game I seem to recall about a foot, maybe a little bit more, that they didn't remove.  It was under everyone's feet in the stands.  No one sits anyway.  

We should have more clarity by halftime of the Packers/Cowboys game and I'm sure they'll be keeping everyone up to date.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BuffBills51 said:

Weather channel is showing 8-12 inches tonight. Is that what the local channels are saying? Going to be tough to get everything cleared. 

The band is supposed to be sit right on top of the stadium all day. Probably another foot + of snow on top of what's already fallen. No way they get the stands cleared and parking lots will probably be a mess. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GottaRun said:

I don't know about the rest of you maniacs but I couldn't drive through that.. 

I detinitely wouldn't want to much less choose to drive through that.  

Hello homemade wings, snacks, and TV.  

:D 

Imagine throwing a football in that though.  LOL  

4 minutes ago, Dan said:

I hate that the game is postponed and all the stuff that it brings.  However, no one should be trying to play a game with weather like that!  Hopefully it clears out enough by tomorrow. 

Go Bills!!!

It's supposed to.  Even if it snows, as it likely will, the winds will only be around 20.  

Typical, nothing horrendous, even for Pittsburgh.  

It's a good bet that the game will go on, the question is how many fans will be in the seats.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.