Defensive coordinator option

M. Wrotto

53 minutes ago, Augie said:

Eric Washington coaches the DLine and is the Assistant Head Coach, right? That seems like the most likely scenario for DC to me. 

Agree. I believe I posted that earlier today somewhere. Promote from within (assuming there’s a viable candidate) and make Buffalo an attractive landing spot for future coaching prospects who want to advance their careers. Washington seems like a likely fit. 

Edited by SoMAn
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

Maybe.  The NFL is weird sometimes and despite Vrabel's success teams will still gamble for a home run hire over a retread.  Atlanta wants an offensive minded coach and is likely already locked in on who their first choices are. Chargers will probably be in same boat after taking a shot on a young DC.  Washington is going to probably take a look at an entire top to bottom housecleaning that doesnt seem like a good fit. The Raiders might be the best fit but I think Pierce might be the guy. The Panthers want someone who can work with Bryce Young. I dont think its a slam dunk he gets a HC gig. 

Look at his record with Tenn who was a dumpster fire prior and how hard his players played for him and respected him. It’s obvious Vrabel played hardball with management about a new contract so my take is he knows he’s on the shortlist for a few teams(NE, LA, Carolina)  A “home run” would be more probable with Vrabel if he had a high draft choice/QB in place and cap space than the other top candidates (Ben Johnson, Antonio Pierce, Houston’s OC, etc.)

Let's see how the defense looks in the playoffs.

Leslie Frazier's units were very good during the regular season.  But he had zero answers in the playoffs against the NFL's top quarterbacks, which is a major reason we haven't even made the Super Bowl yet.  That's why I believe the change was ultimately made (despite what was said publicly).

Under Sean McDermott, the defense started the season very strong.  But after the Tre White, Matt Milano, Daquan Jones injuries, things got really rough.  But he gradually got the ship back on course (even without those guys coming back).  And since the Eagles debacle, the defense has also managed to make some big stops to finish games.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Eric Washington coaches the DLine and is the Assistant Head Coach, right? That seems like the most likely scenario for DC to me. 

My preference would be Bob Babich.  We are going to loose him.  Every position group he coached got better.  He will be found and hired elsewhere.  

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/coaches-roster/bobby-babich

ebrxb8jtemsbydfbuzrv.pdf

Edited by since79
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, since79 said:

My preference would be Bob Babich.  We are going to loose him.  Every position group he coached got better.  He will be found and hired elsewhere.  

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/coaches-roster/bobby-babich

I don’t know enough about them specifically to have an opinion, but that could be too. No doubt the LB’s have been coached up!  I was just noting the Asst HC title and wondering if that was due to his importance in some way. 

you want to move away from a head coach who twice shut down the NFL's best offense, ranks near the top in total defense and allowed less than 18 poitns per game, ALL WHILE doing so with 25% of his staters injured, to.... Vrabel?

I really sometimes.....

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If I'm Terry then I'm asking him why I'm paying Head Coach wages for a DC and a rudderless team.

Ya mean the team thats won 5/6 and 4th AFC East title in a row? I could turn your statement around and McD should be asking for more money for wearing two hats

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, M. Wrotto said:

We might want to bring Vrable in as our DC. This can pull some of the responsibility off McDermott to focus on Head coaching duties 

Right after we hire Ben Johnson to be QB Coach….

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, InTheBuffAllTheTime said:

McDermott has been a superb DC this year. So much so, he should definitely be getting HC interest....wait 🤔

Anyone clamoring for all the head coaches out there calling plays for the offense to get OCs? No. Can do both quite well

There are several heads who call defense as well. Around half or a little more of the teams in the NFL have a head coach who either calls the offense or the defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Yes I believe he will be named DC next year but with a LOT of input from Sean.

1) our current coordinator is doing a great job, and likely is going nowhere until the HC decides to demote him. 

2) his replacement, in that case, is already on staff. There are 4 guys in waiting and we'll likely lose one or more in the offseason to promotion on another team (Babich, Holcomb, Washington, Butler).

2 hours ago, custcarcen said:

If they bring anyone in it is most likely Rivera.

Agreed on this.  I think its in a Mike Shula role...a consultant to all the D coaches.  Senior Defensive Assistant if his health is good.  Also, watch Dallas if they lose Quinn for Rivera as DC.  He has a house there already.

For the Bills on the D side, I think there will be some title shifting but essentially the set-up will be the same as this year.  The last 5 weeks have likely convinced Coach McD that he can call the D plays. There may be a D Coordinator in name only but I think McD calls the plays.

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Or maybe Harbaugh gets to the Chargers first …. Vrabel ain’t beating him out 

Harbaugh doesn’t like playing his brother, I can see him going to DC, they have cap space and a good draft pick and he’s near family.

7 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

He couldn’t give a flying you know what about  playing his brother maybe  every second year… i think he goes to the Chargers who have a decent QB already rather then that  rabble

He spent a lot of time talking about it when they met in the super bowl, he’s very family oriented and he would be near his parents and brother. He would have the number two pick to choose is qb and has a good cap situation. Much better than the chargers cap situation.

40 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Ya mean the team thats won 5/6 and 4th AFC East title in a row? I could turn your statement around and McD should be asking for more money for wearing two hats

The TEAM and TALENT won that in spite of the coaching, or lack there of this year. Story of the entire season. Really the story of McD's tenure since 2019. Talent wins games until the game depends on a coaching decision, then we lose.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

He spent a lot of time talking about it when they met in the super bowl, he’s very family oriented and he would be near his parents and brother. He would have the number two pick to choose is qb and has a good cap situation. Much better than the chargers cap situation.

Who is closer to a Championship? I think it’s the Chargers …Could even win it next year ..

Edited by Aussie Joe

8 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Who is closer to a Championship? I think it’s the Chargers …Could even win it next year ..

Nope, they will be shedding defenders they are 34 million over the cap, Mack is gone plus others. As much as people have gushed about their qb, he’s never shown much except potential, can’t win a big game. I think he’d rather build a team his way, and in DC he could do that without the immediate pressure to succeed overnight. If Vrable is smart, he goes to LA…

Edited by Meatloaf63

15 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Nope, they will be shedding defenders they are 34 million over the cap, Mack is gone plus others. As much as people have gushed about their qb, he’s never shown much except potential, can’t win a big game. I think he’d rather build a team his way, and in DC he could do that without the immediate pressure to succeed overnight. If Vrable is smart, he goes to LA…

I’m not too worried about The Chargers cap situation. … they are better off than the Bills are …doubt this would be a big factor for him …he would be years away from a Championship at Washington with a rookie QB …which as we know are a massive gamble to have success … I think he takes the bird in the hand with Herbert and it’s not even a close decision 

Edit - just noticed on top of that … the Chargers are picking at 5! 

No brainer which is the better situation 

Edited by Aussie Joe

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Mike Vrabel will be a Head Coach within weeks.

100% brother. 

Mind boggling they fired him after 2 seasons that weren’t that bad; Tannehill injury and decline followed by Willis/Levis. 

His personnel decisions/requests outwith QB have been pretty sound for roster building. That position is the toughest ask in todays sport. 

Also heard he wanted no part of trading AJ Brown, so there’s that. Might be better if he moves on considering his hands were forced at some point. 

Washington and Carolina wouldn’t be bad options for him. Maybe he goes back to New England and takes Jerod Mayo’s job if Bill gets the boot?

5 hours ago, M. Wrotto said:

We might want to bring Vrable in as our DC. This can pull some of the responsibility off McDermott to focus on Head coaching duties 

my goodness 🤦‍♂️ . There are teams blowing up Vrabel’s phone RIGHT NOW for HC interviews dude. 

3 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Plus their starting C Corey Linsley is going to retire now because of heart issues.

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, BBFL said:

100% brother. 

Mind boggling they fired him after 2 seasons that weren’t that bad; Tannehill injury and decline followed by Willis/Levis. 

His personnel decisions/requests outwith QB have been pretty sound for roster building. That position is the toughest ask in todays sport. 

Also heard he wanted no part of trading AJ Brown, so there’s that. Might be better if he moves on considering his hands were forced at some point. 

Washington and Carolina wouldn’t be bad options for him. Maybe he goes back to New England and takes Jerod Mayo’s job if Bill gets the boot?

The guy that screwed that franchise was the GM who didn't want to pay AJ Brown and they still haven't found another young WR even close to that talent.

6 hours ago, InTheBuffAllTheTime said:

McDermott has been a superb DC this year. So much so, he should definitely be getting HC interest....wait 🤔

Anyone clamoring for all the head coaches out there calling plays for the offense to get OCs? No. Can do both quite well

Exactly several do both very well. He’s keeping the DC role.

If there's one guy out there I'd like to consider, it's Wink Martindale, who resigned as DC of the NJ Giants.  Not only is he an outstanding DC, he quit on Daboll, so McD might want Martindale just to piss off Daboll, who has not seen eye to eye with McD for some time.  

2 minutes ago, Utah John said:

If there's one guy out there I'd like to consider, it's Wink Martindale, who resigned as DC of the NJ Giants.  Not only is he an outstanding DC, he quit on Daboll, so McD might want Martindale just to piss off Daboll, who has not seen eye to eye with McD for some time.  

He has gone rogue apparently … he won’t be coming here ,,plus I think he isn’t a scheme fit…

https://nypost.com/2024/01/09/sports/wink-martindale-cursed-out-giants-brian-daboll-after-firings/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

14 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Look at his record with Tenn who was a dumpster fire prior and how hard his players played for him and respected him. It’s obvious Vrabel played hardball with management about a new contract so my take is he knows he’s on the shortlist for a few teams(NE, LA, Carolina)  A “home run” would be more probable with Vrabel if he had a high draft choice/QB in place and cap space than the other top candidates (Ben Johnson, Antonio Pierce, Houston’s OC, etc.)

I’m aware and think he is a coach that has proven he can win.  It’s not that common for fired head coaches to become hired somewhere else the next season, especially a defensive minded one.  It does happen, I know, and maybe you’re right and I’ll be very wrong as multiple teams vie for him.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see chargers pursue Ben Johnson.  Given the group put together in Washington I fully expect a Shanahan protege to be the pick.  Carolina might be the spot where they pursue him, but IMO I think Vrabel might not see that as attractive and might decline that job.  If they are willing to move on from Young, then maybe, but I wouldn’t want to be saddled with trying to make water into wine.  That roster is awful.

2 hours ago, Ayjent said:

I’m aware and think he is a coach that has proven he can win.  It’s not that common for fired head coaches to become hired somewhere else the next season, especially a defensive minded one.  It does happen, I know, and maybe you’re right and I’ll be very wrong as multiple teams vie for him.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see chargers pursue Ben Johnson.  Given the group put together in Washington I fully expect a Shanahan protege to be the pick.  Carolina might be the spot where they pursue him, but IMO I think Vrabel might not see that as attractive and might decline that job.  If they are willing to move on from Young, then maybe, but I wouldn’t want to be saddled with trying to make water into wine.  That roster is awful.

The NE job is probably more likely. Vrabel and Kraft have a relationship.

18 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Bobby Babich should be our next DC. Hopefully this next year. I like when McDermott is the “CEO” of the team. Babich knows the system & the players & has success with both. It’s really a no brainer. 

McD can't promote Babich while Washington is AHC.  That's why I think it's either Washington or Rivera for DC and Rivera is an easier sell to Washington as to why he didn't get promoted. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.