OL and DL: what was wrong with them ?

Allen was harassed lot of times, they were without their two best pass rushers, so don’t you think that our OL played poorly ? 

The DL also didn’t play its best game, Tua was never pressured and no sacks. Do you agree ? 

Just a single case, or we have to start worrying about ?

Edited by Italian Bills
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

• Italian Bills changed the title to OL and DL: what was wrong with them ?

I think this oline has been vastly overrated, at least by some of the metrics that say they've been a top unit in both pass/run blocking.  And what should give all bills fans pause heading into the playoffs is how they've performed against top defenses in recent weeks (i.e. Patriots, Chiefs, etc). Miami dominated as well and were pretty much a practice squad unit last night. Just not sure how what's going on.

One thing I will say is it might be time to sit Torrance, he showed a lot of promise early on but unfortunately seems to have been progressively worse as the season has went on and will be a major liability in the postseason especially in a potential divisional round game against Chris Jones and the Chiefs. So if I'm McD, I'd roll with Bates and or Edwards in the playoffs or have a very short leash on the rookie.

Regarding the dline, I'm not really concerned there despite not registering any sacks last night. They've been a bright spot in recent weeks and we'll see what they do against a Steelers oline unit that is definitely playing their best football of the season, and might be best oline in the entire league right now heading into the postseason.

• Eyeroll 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Miami all out blitzed frequently. I don’t think the entire oline is to blame.  The rookie Torrence had a bad game for sure.

You can only block but so many, Allen has to know who is hot.  Sometimes he made good plays under those situations, other times he tried to do the fade back and wait hoping he could hit something big but made poor plays.

I mean they rolled up almost 500 yard of offense and if they make 2 easy wide open plays to Cook dropping a TD Ronnie Harmon style and 89 yards to Diggs who had like 8 yards on Ramsey for a wide open TD it would have been more like 600 yards.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)

If our OL can not protect Allen more, giving him time to read and throw, then maybe is better to play faster plays, like slants, short curl, etc… i mean throws for 5 to 6 yards and then work with the run, Cook, Lenny and Ty. 

And when the OL give Josh more time, then yes look for the big play. 

Edited by Italian Bills

22 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

Allen was harassed lot of times, they were without their two best pass rushers, so don’t you think that our OL played poorly ? 

The DL also didn’t play its best game, Tua was never pressured and no sacks. Do you agree ? 

I've seen a lot of people chip in that we couldn't get pressure on Tua. That's actually common for playing against him as he gets the ball out very quickly. And don't want to pin your ears back as a DL and go after him because if you do that and don't set the edge Achane pops it around the corner and to the house. 

At the end of the day, Buffalo held that "revolutionary" offense to 14 points in their town (albeit it's OUR stadium).

miami figured out our run plays, and saw that we can't handle blitzes well, especially w pressure up the middle.

on the other side, they spaced us out and used their literally record nfl team speed to get to the edge and gash us over and over again in run plays.

all that said, they had 3 extra possessions and totalled under 300 yards and we were a couple plays away from being over 500.  statistically we are savage beasts and horrible monsters to play.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I think this oline has been vastly overrated, at least by some of the metrics that say they've been a top unit in both pass/run blocking.  And what should give all bills fans pause heading into the playoffs is how they've performed against top defenses in recent weeks (i.e. Patriots, Chiefs, etc). Miami dominated as well and were pretty much a practice squad unit last night. Just not sure how what's going on.

One thing I will say is it might be time to sit Torrance, he showed a lot of promise early on but unfortunately seems to have been progressively worse as the season has went on and will be a major liability in the postseason especially in a potential divisional round game against Chris Jones and the Chiefs. So if I'm McD, I'd roll with Bates and or Edwards in the playoffs or have a very short leash on the rookie.

Regarding the dline, I'm not really concerned there despite not registering any sacks last night. They've been a bright spot in recent weeks and we'll see what they do against a Steelers oline unit that is definitely playing their best football of the season, and might be best oline in the entire league right now heading into the postseason.

Looking forward to the Bills smashing your Chiefs. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I've seen a lot of people chip in that we couldn't get pressure on Tua. That's actually common for playing against him as he gets the ball out very quickly. And don't want to pin your ears back as a DL and go after him because if you do that and don't set the edge Achane pops it around the corner and to the house. 

At the end of the day, Buffalo held that "revolutionary" offense to 14 points in their town (albeit it's OUR stadium).

“ At the end of the day, Buffalo held that "revolutionary" offense to 14 points in their town (albeit it's OUR stadium).“ Without Moster and Waddle, let’s not dorget that. 

But yes, 14 points are very few. 

• Like (+1) 1

The OL could certainly have been better, but some of it has seemed on Allen lately..  He's not hitting the deep shot and teams aren't respecting it as much.  And when they heat him up with the blitz, he's not getting the ball out and/or getting routes that open quick enough.

As far as our DL goes, setting the edge was hyper critical against the Miami run game after they gashed us early and when Tua dropped back to pass, he had the ball out quick enough to where a free rusher doesn't even have time to get to him. 

Edited by SCBills

20 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

If our OL can not protect Allen more, giving him time to read and throw, then maybe is better to play faster plays, like slants, short curl, etc… i mean throws for 5 to 6 yards and then work with the run, Cook, Lenny and Ty. 

And when the OL give Josh more time, then yes look for the big play. 

Allen buys time pretty well. Nobody is protecting the QB when they bring 7 and you only have 6 to block 

17 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Lots of blitzes by Miami.

Tua getting the ball out in 2 seconds flat.

Easy as that.

I would only add that it took some time for the D-front to get their gap responsibilities and run fits squared away against all the counters and misdirection they don't see that often.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Hey bud, do you need an inflatable donut to sit on after seeing your beloved mammals getting their blow holes reamed last night? 

• Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

I would only add that it took some time for the D-front to get their gap responsibilities and run fits squared away against all the counters and misdirection they don't see that often.

In the run game, absolutely. Not sure why we werent ready for exactly what Miami showed us against the Ravens but whatevs. Good halftime adjustments got it squared away.

But as to why no sacks no pressures, I mean, we tried, but the ball was out before our DEs even engaged the OTs.

Poor Leonard Floyd. Barely missed out on $2M.

38 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

Did you forget what Tua’s stats in the 2nd half was or their rushing #s.?  Are you aware that Josh threw for 350 and Miami’s pressure came when they rushed 6 or 7.  The 2nd half adjustments took away Achan and when it counted the Biils DL pressure forced 3 three and outs with Tua’s accuracy breaking down. Try not to be negative when the team balls out to get a must win.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Exactly. And in our summer home in Orchard Park, we held them to 20. That's 34 points in 2 games against the newest Offense of the Future, a team that averaged over 29 points per game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

I actually thought we were running slip screens, then realized it was just a free release for all D-linemen by accident

2 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

What’s with this Torrence has been bad enough to bench stuff ?

I think its the rookie wall. The last couple years Greg R on Def disappeared for long stretches....Cyrus has played basically every snap which is unheard of. Now we're adding playoffs. Maybe give him a series or two off.

54 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

You are a total clown.

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Easy as that.

Both true.  Toss in a bit of Josh not taking his hot read at times when he should have (example: on the 4th and 2 deep INT targeting Davis, he had Kincaid open right away for a 1st down and probably more.   But yeah, to my eye they blitzed us a ton. 

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Sorry about your team, the Miami Dolphins.

Oh Wait - NO I"M NOT! 🦬🦬

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, SCBills said:

As far as our DL goes, setting the edge was hyper critical against the Miami run game after they gashed us early and when Tua dropped back to pass, he had the ball out quick enough to where a free rusher doesn't even have time to get to him. 

Watching the first half I was saying to my son, why are our DE crashing so hard?  We would be better to contain and try to pressure up the middle.  Tua got the ball out so quick you were never getting there anyway.  1st half no contain 100+ yards rushing.  Second half contain 7 yds rushing. I think we must have adjusted well.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

You are a total clown.

Came with receipts.  🥰

This one is particularly striking

What the ***** kind of fan, even a critical fan, "prays" for an outcome unfavorable to his team and for the QB and coach to be "exposed"

This guy is, indeed, a total Maroon.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Gambit said:

I thought he was a Phish lover?

Could be. I’m sure he also loves KC when they play the Bills.

Regardless, he is no Bills fan. Which is fine. Others here aren’t but are open about the teams they like and come to talk football.

Edited by Beast
  • Agree 3

47 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Easy as that.

Which is why the Bills defensive performance in the second half was even more impressive. 

Even though Tagavailoa was never sacked, the scheme the Bills defense played worked effectively with good tackling, recognition, and pass break-ups. 

• Like (+1) 1

The OL has been consistently rated one of the better units in football all year. I don’t think it’s a bad unit. 

I love Josh Allen, but a lot of the team he creates pressure or holds the ball and does his runaround thing and the OL seems like an issue. 

39 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

So your solution what could be ? The one that i said ? More quick plays ?

I would like to see them utilize more swings and screens, even if they are creative screens since we don't seem to run normal ones well.

1 minute ago, since79 said:

Watching the first half I was saying to my son, why are our DE crashing so hard?  We would be better to contain and try to pressure up the middle.  Tua got the ball out so quick you were never getting there anyway.  1st half no contain 100+ yards rushing.  Second half contain 7 yds rushing. I think we must have adjusted well.

Yes.  For those who are seriously interested, a look at the game stats is interesting.

First half - pretty even game.  101 yds rushing, 117 net yards passing for the Fins. 13 first downs.

Compare and contrast, in the second half

7 yards rushing .  SEVEN. 

50 yards passing.

3 first downs.

The Bills backed off and clamped down on the run, while maintaining pressure up the middle to prevent Tua from being able to step up and sometimes forcing him to roll out.  Tua even scrambled once!

Capture.jpg

33 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

The metrics (which can often be misleading) say he's been terrible most of the year. But it's clear for anyone that's actually watching that he's struggling mightily in recent week and considering the type of competition this team is going to be facing from here on out until there season ends it could be a wise move to replace him with Bates or Edwards who may offer a sizable upgrade at this point.

9 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

The OL has been consistently rated one of the better units in football all year. I don’t think it’s a bad unit. 

I love Josh Allen, but a lot of the team he creates pressure or holds the ball and does his runaround thing and the OL seems like an issue. 

This is true.  Allen's ability to extend plays is both a blessing and a curse.

35 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

So against the Pats, Belicheck was dialing up a lot of assymetric pressures where it looked like he was sending the house then one side would drop into coverage and the other would overload and penetrate.   He would also bluff pressure from the outside, then drop off - but the OTs would have to account for the supposed pressure and leave the center of the line on an island.

Torrence was getting beat by these tactics.

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

We need a Center. This oline can't get you a yard when you need it. Morse is smart but gets bull rushed easily. He cannot handle talented DTs. Start at Center and see what happens.

Im beginning to think that this is Morse’s last year … been a great campaigner for them … but might be time…

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Italian Bills said:

“ At the end of the day, Buffalo held that "revolutionary" offense to 14 points in their town (albeit it's OUR stadium).“ Without Moster and Waddle, let’s not dorget that. 

But yes, 14 points are very few. 

/Sigh

Ok. They held that offense without Waddle and Mostert to 14 points.

Without Tre White, without Matt Milano, without Rasul Douglas and Dodson for a majority of the game as well. 

So they wre without a RB and WR. We were without a CB, the CB to replace him, our WLB and the replacement WLB. I'd say at MINIMUM that evens out.

• Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.