Head coach carousel 2024 edition

djp14150

40 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

If the Bears aren't totally sold on Fields, they should draft a QB with the top pick. Doubling down is better than hitching the entire wagon to Fields and missing on a rare chance of drafting #1

The Bears completely blew it by keeping Eberfluss. 

They should have fired the coaches to give them maximum flexibility to either keep Fields or draft a new QB considering how poorly the offense has been handled. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Yep, I missed Gannon, but Steichen has always been offense.  I thought Harbaugh was Special Teams, but since he was a defensive assistant at times and in his final year before getting the Ravens job, I'll concede that one too.  So 2/3.  

Oh that’s my bad. Steichen has worked both sides but he did move over to offense awhile ago. 

13 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

They should have fired the coaches to give them maximum flexibility to either keep Fields or draft a new QB considering how poorly the offense has been handled. 

Classic case of "staying the course" and firing the guy halfway through the next season 

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

If the Bears aren't totally sold on Fields, they should draft a QB with the top pick. Doubling down is better than hitching the entire wagon to Fields and missing on a rare chance of drafting #1

I get it. I just think they have a rare opportunity to accumulate a ton of young talent. Only one QB taken #1 or #2 overall in the last decade has definitively proven to be worth it (although CJ Stroud is likely going to be the second). For my money the top 4 QBs this year - Allen, Mahomes, Jackson, Prescott - were drafted later than that. So do you throw away the opportunity to get an almost for sure game changing #1 WR plus a boatload of picks, for a QB that is statistically unlikely to be worth it? If you hit on the QB it's of course worth it in the end. But it's a gamble. And it's not like they're trotting EJ Manuel out there next year. Fields could be as good as Hurts IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I get it. I just think they have a rare opportunity to accumulate a ton of young talent. Only one QB taken #1 or #2 overall in the last decade has definitively proven to be worth it (although CJ Stroud is likely going to be the second). For my money the top 4 QBs this year - Allen, Mahomes, Jackson, Prescott - were drafted later than that. So do you throw away the opportunity to get an almost for sure game changing #1 WR plus a boatload of picks, for a QB that is statistically unlikely to be worth it? If you hit on the QB it's of course worth it in the end. But it's a gamble. And it's not like they're trotting EJ Manuel out there next year. Fields could be as good as Hurts IMO.

Goff and Mayfield are in the playoffs.

the Bears started 0-4.

only 3 games were true loses. Early gb, at kc, at chargers.

they went 7-7 after first 3 games

In 3 of those loses loses ( in 7-7 stretch) they had 9+ pt 4th quarter leads 

tied in 4th with another. Other 3 were one score down in the 4th

confidence is a dangerous thing in the nfl.

They held onto one of those 3 blown 4th quarter games then they are going into the packers game tied at 8-8 and likely a winner gets the WC spot game.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Those are good points. To invest the #1 in a QB, they have to be absolutely convinced that he is worth it (and do the e v a l like the org did for Trubisky). 

1 hour ago, ChiGoose said:

The available slate of HC candidates and the demand could have influenced their decision to keep Eberflus. They must have thought "omg we could end up with bottom of the barrel choices and end up in a worse situation out of desperation" 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Hurts isn’t that good and this is year 4 for Fields.

that organization is in drought era Bills doomed land. Hanging onto a lame duck defensive HC so they can just fire him next season.

Every QB in the playoffs currently has proven they can play great in spots. 

Fields, who was just given another good WR weapon this past offseason, saw his passing yardage go from 150 to 197 per game. Yuck. 

If they try to build around Fields now, they will end up winning 7 games next year, firing Eberflus, and then have an ugly QB room to attract HC candidates, who won’t want anything to do with them.

They have the #1 pick. They should have canned everyone and waved it around to actually get some good coaches in there. If the new coach believes in Fields, cool. If they want Caleb or to trade down, cool. 

Half measures in the NFL don’t work. The Bears have been one of the worst teams in football because of it. Keeping Nagy to waste a pivotal year of Fields’ development set them up to do it all again this year and continue their cycle of pitiful, miserable football.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Five years ago I would have said take a QB no matter what. But I've changed my tune on this. I think QBs like Hurts and Tua and Purdy have shown that having a good QB plus elite weapons is maybe the best path to a Super Bowl. Especially if the QB is mobile which naturally increases the margin for error. You need a great defense too, and the Bears are close. They could trade down for a boatload of picks, draft MHJ (giving them arguably two #1 WRs with DJ Moore already there), build up the OL and defense, and head into 2024 ready to make waves in a relatively average division. I sincerely think they could compete for a Super Bowl next year if they have a great draft, and they'll likely still have several high picks in the 2025 draft from the trade down.

Not an easy decision but I'd ride with Fields and try to build the most elite possible team around him.

Take the Quarterback. I think they were right to give Fields another run last year. But there is no progress as a passer from the pocket. Move him (you will get a mid round pick), draft Williams (as long as you are satisfied with the person). 

• Like (+1) 3

The Bears improved significantly over the course of the season and their defense was rather good.  Defense is Eberfluss' concentration.  I do not wholly agree that it was a mistake to keep him.   The Bears have a real chance to soar with that defense and the cornucopia of draft picks coming up this year and next.  

The problem I have with Caleb, besides what the "person" might be, is that he didn't win.    

10 hours ago, djp14150 said:

the Bears started 0-4.

They held onto one of those 3 blown 4th quarter games then they are going into the packers game tied at 8-8 and likely a winner gets the WC spot game.

If the Bears trade away Fields and pass up MHJ only to end up with another Mayfield/Goff out of this #1 pick then it's a disaster.

As far as 4th quarter leads go, sounds like they also need to invest in Defense. Maybe get a new MLB. :thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 2

Rooney Rule question: I was reading that now you must interview TWO external minority candidates for a HC job. 

Does that mean the Raiders couldn't just name Antonio Pierce the permanent HC if they wanted to?

Edited by TheFunPolice

10 hours ago, djp14150 said:

the Bears started 0-4.

The Bears would trade Fields for Goff in a heartbeat. Fields and Baker are probably closer to a push, but not because of Fields’ ability today, but because he’s still relatively young and may get better.

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If the Bears trade away Fields and pass up MHJ only to end up with another Mayfield/Goff out of this #1 pick then it's a disaster.

As far as 4th quarter leads go, sounds like they also need to invest in Defense. Maybe get a new MLB. :thumbsup:

If you fail swinging for a QB, at least it demonstrates your priorities are in order.

Trying to build a super team around a guy who can barely pass at the NFL level shows you’re a disaster from the top

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

If you fail swinging for a QB, at least it demonstrates your priorities are in order.

Trying to build a super team around a guy who can barely pass at the NFL level shows you’re a disaster from the top

In theory, yes. But in practice, over-drafting under qualified players #1 overall due to the position they play has bit teams more times than it has helped teams.

There is no Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Joe Burrow in this draft. I'd argue there isnt even a Trevor Lawrence.

If I'm the Bears and I really want to move on from Fields, then I'm looking more at that #9 spot. Maybe Penix falls.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes I believe they confirmed it before week 18.

33 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

He got a vote of confidence late in the season, honestly as a Bills fan I hope they keep him. 

Johnson & Johnson will probably think it's time for the Jets to 'pull a Patriots'.  Make Saleh the team's GM as well.

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

In theory, yes. But in practice, over-drafting under qualified players #1 overall due to the position they play has bit teams more times than it has helped teams.

There is no Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Joe Burrow in this draft. I'd argue there isnt even a Trevor Lawrence.

If I'm the Bears and I really want to move on from Fields, then I'm looking more at that #9 spot. Maybe Penix falls.

No matter what, a noisy minority here will find a way to blame Edmunds.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ah the legend of MHJ grows.  If you’re going to take a receiver over a QB, why not take the one who will be a superior NFL player?   Nabers.

54 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Lol first MHJ now Andrew Luck.  You’re on a “media narrated greatness” roll.  Now do Tony Mandarich.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Is there a Jared Goff? 

I wouldn’t mind it terribly if they didn’t love anyone or whatever and went with QB at 9. 

Doubling down on Fields and not taking a QB is franchise malpractice when you have two firsts in the top 10.

19 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Ah the legend of MHJ grows.  If you’re going to take a receiver over a QB, why not take the one who will be a superior NFL player?   Nabers.

I wouldn't take any receiver over a Quarterback as the Bears. That would be a mistake IMO. But really I wanted to comment on Nabers. I spent an hour or so on his film last night. My takeaways:

- he plays bigger than his size;

- his suddenness in his cuts and ability to hit the jets in the open field is special;

- he can run routes but doesn't actually have a particularly developed route tree at LSU;

- he has good hands.

However, there are two concerns (which possibly take you to the same place). I don't love his release package at the line against press man. His feet seem to get kind of stuck and he isn't the most physical. That might be why he played over half his snaps from the slot. Now I have been burned with LSU receivers who played mainly in the slot at college and went on the excel outside in the NFL - Justin Jefferson - but I do wonder a bit about whether Nabers will find himself limited to a lot of slot work. If you guaranteed me he was going to a Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan I'd be will to guarantee you Nabers is going to be a star. If he ends up in something a bit more boring and vanilla I'm not as convinced. I provisionally gave him a top 10 grade based on the upside. But I think he is DEFINITELY more fit dependent than MHJ is. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Rooney Rule question: I was reading that now you must interview TWO external minority candidates for a HC job. 

Does that mean the Raiders couldn't just name Antonio Pierce the permanent HC if they wanted to?

Wiki says "no" but may be out of date:

The rule does not apply if an assistant coach has language in his contract guaranteeing him the head coaching job in case of an opening.[21] For example, this was the case when Mike Martz took over as head coach of the St. Louis Rams before the 2000 season. Also, the requirement does not apply if the assistant coach taking over the head position is a minority, as was the case with Mike Singletary and the San Francisco 49ers in late 2008.[22]

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

He's interim so I think if change it to permanent they're okay since they not really replacing him.  

5 hours ago, FireChans said:

The Bears would trade Fields for Goff in a heartbeat.

Agree. Goff is a tad underrated. I think it is because he really struggled as a rookie and so people got this narrative that he sucks in their head and is always propped up by what is around him. But he is a solid middle of the pack QB. Not a star by any means, but a guy who can play realiably and run an offense. People throwing him in with Baker who couldn't stick on a bad team last year and Fields who struggles from the pocket is just wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Wouldn't naming a minority as head coach override that considering he was already coaching the team?

Or is this the NFL's way of getting more candidates interviewing experience?

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. Goff is a tad underrated. I think it is because he really struggled as a rookie and so people got this narrative that he sucks in their head and is always propped up by what is around him. But he is a solid middle of the pack QB. Not a star by any means, but a guy who can play realiably and run an offense. People throwing him in with Baker who couldn't stick on a bad team last year and Fields who struggles from the pocket is just wrong. 

Wait, I thought Baker was a good QB now at age 28?  All in the playoffs and everything?  64% completions, 4044 passing yards, 28 TD, only 10 INT, 238 ypg and all that.

My early predictions for coaching hires. This changes a bit if any playoff teams fire coaches.

Patriots - Mike Vrabel (easy)

Seattle - Dan Quinn (easier)

Washington - Harbaugh (near his bro in opposite conference with owners who have a lot of money and get to mold the new franchise QB, Drake Maye)

Chargers - Ben Johnson (they miss out on Harbaugh but get the next best offensive coach for Herbert)

Raiders - Antonio Pierce (easy)

Falcons - Bill Belichick (seems like the guy Blank would want)

Titans - Bobby Slowik (stealing a rival OC to help mold Levis)

Panthers - Ejiro Evero (who else besides Eric Bienemy are going to want this job)

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't take any receiver over a Quarterback as the Bears. That would be a mistake IMO. But really I wanted to comment on Nabers. I spent an hour or so on his film last night. My takeaways:

- he plays bigger than his size;

- his suddenness in his cuts and ability to hit the jets in the open field is special;

- he can run routes but doesn't actually have a particularly developed route tree at LSU;

- he has good hands.

However, there are two concerns (which possibly take you to the same place). I don't love his release package at the line against press man. His feet seem to get kind of stuck and he isn't the most physical. That might be why he played over half his slots from the slot. Now I have been burned with LSU receivers who played mainly in the slot at college and went on the excel outside in the NFL - Justin Jefferson - but I do wonder a bit about whether Nabers will find himself limited to a lot of slot work. If you guaranteed me he was going to a Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan I'd be will to guarantee you Nabers is going to be a star. If he ends up in something a bit more boring and vanilla I'm not as convinced. I provisionally gave him a top 10 grade based on the upside. But I think he is DEFINITELY more fit dependent than MHJ is. 

IMO and based on what I’ve read in other places MHJ doesn’t always track the ball as well as he should and although that didn’t burn him in college, it may in the NFL.  Again, not in any way calling him a bad player or bust, just likely to not live up to his ultra high pick.

Im not sure I agree about kicking Fields to the curb.  It feels abrupt.  The Bears can move down a very small number of spots and pick up an absolute haul.  If they can’t make it work with Fields they will have mega ammo to try again in 2025.  No way should they stay at 1 and pick anything other than QB though….I agree about that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.