Remove Divisions in NFL

Almost every year we see teams make the playoffs over another team with a better record, due to winning their division. Or we see teams just have a cakewalk to the playoffs/home field advantage bc they play in a trash division and have automatic 6 wins (Chiefs past few years/Pats for more than a decade). 

Remove the divisions. Keep AFC/NFC. Keep the same 18 week/17 game schedule every team plays every single team in their conference 1x and then do 2 games vs opposite conference every year to maintain some inter-conference rivalries alive. 

Removing the divisions and going with 2 conference automatically eliminates teams with worse records making it in over teams with better records, and it also eliminates schedule bias by forcing all teams to have the same schedule  (minus the 2 games vs opposite conference).

With 11/17 games being outside of your division, it doesn’t make sense to reward a team so much at playoff time for winning their division. 

Thoughts? 

Edited by bobobonators
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 9
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 5

3 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

Will a team with a loosing record make the playoffs this year?

I don’t think so; NFC South is worst division and winner will be 1 game over. Historically speaking, it has been an issue. 

Chiefs have also gotten home field advantage for Mahomes’ entire tenure (minus this year), in part, due to the AFC W being a disaster. 

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Every year, haha? It almost never happens that a team with a losing record makes the playoffs. It is rare.

To clarify, I meant one of the two things I said happens. 

• Like (+1) 1

What will people have to complain about if this happens? People like to have sh-t to complain about…, 

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

All fair points. 

My main motivation would be to reduce the amount of schedule bias, and to ensure a team won’t make the playoffs over a team who has a better record. Let alone get a home game in the playoffs over a team who had a better record. 

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

Bills couldn't beat Jets or Pats. Division rivals. If they lose tomorrow they deserve to be out

This is not meant to be a pro Bills thread. Just speaking in general terms about the NFL playoff picture 

• Like (+1) 5

The value of the divisional matchups and rivalry over time is more important than the seeding in my opinion. If they were to do away with division winners for seeding purposes, I would still prefer the scheduling of the games stay as it is now.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Every year we see teams with losing records making the playoffs. Or we see teams just have a cakewalk to the playoffs bc they play in a TRASH division and have automatic 6 wins (Chiefs past few years). 

Remove the divisions. Keep AFC/NFC. Keep the same 18 week/17 game schedule every team plays every single team in their conference 1x and then do 2 games vs opposite conference every year to maintain some inter-conference rivalries alive. 

Removing the divisions and going with 2 conference automatically eliminates teams with losing records making it in over teams with winning records, and it also eliminates bias by forcing all teams to have the same schedule  (minus the 2 games vs opposite conference).

Thoughts? 

In NFL history, 6 teams have made the playoffs with a losing record. And 2 or those were in the 82 strike season. 

• Like (+1) 2

If I remember correctly there is a vote about conferences after the 2025 season. There has been some chatter about changing things

Ultimately, it won't get much attention until the cowboys miss the playoffs with 10 wins while the NFCS sends a 9-8 team in. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Every year we see teams with losing records making the playoffs. Or we see teams just have a cakewalk to the playoffs bc they play in a TRASH division and have automatic 6 wins (Chiefs past few years). 

Removing the divisions and going with 2 conference automatically eliminates teams with losing records making it in over teams with winning records, and it also eliminates bias by forcing all teams to have the same schedule  (minus the 2 games vs opposite conference).

Thoughts? 

I dislike the idea. I like the fact a mediocre team could make it and make noise. Like the Seahawks did one year. 

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

Every year, haha? It almost never happens that a team with a losing record makes the playoffs. It is rare.

Maybe not a losing record but every season the NFC South sucks and the AFC south sucks. 11-6 teams or 10-7 teams should not lose playoff spots to 9-8 or 8-9 teams. It's stupid

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

24 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Thoughts? 

How about not losing to teams with losing records? 

The divisions are great...weird stuff happens for playoff births and it is bound to hurt any team at some point.  The only way the Bills miss is if they have 7 losses, the team is much better than that, they will have done it to themselves. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Thoughts? 

Imagine complaining that other teams have the advantage of playing in weak divisions when a week from today will mark the 50th anniversary of the last time a team in the AFC East other than the Patriots won a Super Bowl.

• Eyeroll 1

Divisions are a good thing. 6-0 every year if you build a team to dominate common foes. Then all you need is to win is 3 to 5 games to make the playoffs. The Bills should be 5-0 in the division if they could win in OT, and hold Mac Jones from driving 75 yards in under 2 minutes. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

In NFL history, 6 teams have made the playoffs with a losing record. And 2 or those were in the 82 strike season. 

Let me clarify or edit my original post once and for all. Almost every year we see teams with a worse record, host a home playoff game, over a team with a better record only bc they won their division. At times, teams with worse records also make the playoffs over teams with better records. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11/17 games are played against teams outside the division. So continuing to reward teams who play in crappy divisions and punishing those who play in competitive divisions seems inequitable at best. Giving so much weight to division winners when 11/17 games are played outside the division seems a bit counterintuitive. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, bobobonators said:

11/17 games are played against teams outside the division. So continuing to reward teams who play in crappy divisions and punishing those who play in competitive divisions seems inequitable at best. Giving so much weight to division winners when 11/17 games are played outside the division seems a bit counterintuitive. 

If a team can’t win a 4 team division, then why do they deserve any kind of preferential treatment?

• Disagree 1

What's stupid is that just because we happened to lose to NE and Denver, who happen to be in the AFC and beat the Giants and Bucs, who happen to be in the NFC, we might miss the playoffs. Switch those four games, and I believe that the Bills are in.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Billl said:

If a team can’t win a 4 team division, then why do they deserve any kind of preferential treatment?

I’m not advocating for preferential treatment. Eliminating divisions would actually do the opposite - it would automatically create equity across the entire conference bc all teams would play the same schedule for 15/17 games. 

• Like (+1) 1

When the Bills went to four straight Super Bowls, they were in the worst division in football at the time.....they had a free 8 wins over the Colts, Pats, Jets, and Fins...I bet you weren’t complaining about weak divisions then.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

one of your premises almost never happens, the other one..you use KC, a team that has been to 5 straight AFCC games, won 3 and 2 SB, as an example of cakewalk teams.

Maybe the next “final edit” of this thread would be to delete it.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

We should have a setup like soccer. A two tiered system with relegation. 
…and flopping,  much more flopping

🤣😄🥴

Relegation would be a good thing.

The issue is the PA would never allow it as revenues are currently shared across the league. Creating a 2nd league or lower division would put contracts into jeopardy. Players would get screwed and in terms of draft fairness how would draft picks be distributed?

You know, I was ready to crap all over this idea, but then I realized this could be the solution to the NFL's expansion problem.

People keep thinking they'd need to add 8 teams at once to preserve balance, but with this they'd only have to add 2 (and you could still do a round-robin conference schedule).

Still prefer the normal setup, but this wouldn't be completely terrible either. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.