What's on your Mt. Rushmore of Pop-Tarts?

BillsPride12

Anyone who likes Pop Tarts should check out how they came to be - fascinating story. One of the biggest blunders in business history by Post lead to a multi-billion dollar product for Kellogs.

Great episode of the Food that Built America on History Channel - https://www.history.com/shows/the-food-that-built-america/season-4/episode-1

I eat pop tarts all the time; I have an addiction with them.

No.1 favorite, by a mile, is cinnamon and brown sugar.

No. 2 is cherry.

After that, who cares.

Of note: for anyone in the South with access to Publix brand grocery stores, check out the Publix brand fake Pop Tarts.

They are about half the cost of the real thing, and actually much better.  The brown sugar/cinnamon that I eat constantly are noticeably  thicker with quite a bit more stuff inside, and the taste is a little different and better.

The "real" Pop Tarts taste kind of generic and chemically-based in comparison.

I wonder where the Publix are made...but they are great.

Might want to try any house brand you can find in your grocery store...might be the same thing I am eating from Publix.

$3.49 for 12 of these babies! 

large_1b32c481-b350-440c-ad41-f4422debf5

• Agree 1

On 12/30/2023 at 10:07 AM, The Avenger said:

Anyone who likes Pop Tarts should check out how they came to be - fascinating story. One of the biggest blunders in business history by Post lead to a multi-billion dollar product for Kellogs.

Great episode of the Food that Built America on History Channel - https://www.history.com/shows/the-food-that-built-america/season-4/episode-1

love this show. Only saw season 1, but gotta get back into it.

Before I read labels and paid attention to fat and sugar contents, my favorite Pop Tarts were frosted chocolate, followed by strawberry as a distant second, and brown sugar/cinnamon as an even more distant third.

Since I started paying attention to nutritional info, my favorite "toaster pastry" is a bagel. (And like Pop Tarts, they can be eaten toasted or untoasted.)

Don't get me wrong - I'm not a full-blown health freak, but I have a family history of diabetes and heart disease. I can't change my genetics, but I can adjust my lifestyle. I'll still splurge on wings or Italian sausage sometimes, but it has to be worth the nutritional hit. For me, wings and sausage are worth it; Pop Tarts are not.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Before I read labels and paid attention to fat and sugar contents, my favorite Pop Tarts were frosted chocolate, followed by strawberry as a distant second, and brown sugar/cinnamon as an even more distant third.

Since I started paying attention to nutritional info, my favorite "toaster pastry" is a bagel. (And like Pop Tarts, they can be eaten toasted or untoasted.)

Don't get me wrong - I'm not a full-blown health freak, but I have a family history of diabetes and heart disease. I can't change my genetics, but I can adjust my lifestyle. I'll still splurge on wings or Italian sausage sometimes, but it has to be worth the nutritional hit. For me, wings and sausage are worth it; Pop Tarts are not.

This^^^^

6 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I ate them when I was a kid but they are not something I consume on a regular basis by any means nowadays.  I'll buy Pop-Tarts when grocery shopping once every 3 years.  I know they are not good for you healthwise but disagree with the comments saying they taste like cardboard.  They are a fun guilty pleasure once in awhile

2 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I ate them when I was a kid but they are not something I consume on a regular basis by any means nowadays.  I'll buy Pop-Tarts when grocery shopping once every 3 years.  I know they are not good for you healthwise but disagree with the comments saying they taste like cardboard.  They are a fun guilty pleasure once in awhile

Yeah, I like them - I had some as recently as a couple of years ago - but I don't like them enough to splurge on the fat and sugar. In fairness, I will splurge on something with nearly the same nutritional content as Pop Tarts, but those are things that really taste good to me. Chocolate, for example, is one of my guilty pleasures.

The taste vs. health tradeoff is different for everyone.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 months later...

Brown Sugar

Strawberry
S'More
Don't care, those are the only three flavors that matter.

The best possible way to eat Pop-Tarts is to eat one brown sugar and one strawberry in a sitting. They should make twin packs containing one of each of those two flavors per pouch. I will die on this hill.

Edited by Logic

I hate sweet stuff as an adult.  I admit it.  I like salty, and in particular spicy, like really, really spicy.

Having written that, I was such a fan of the chocolate-on-chocolate Pop-Tart.

Can't eat such things anymore, as while I'm 6'6", I also hit 300lbs during the height of the pandemic.  Still, fond memories...

On 1/1/2024 at 3:37 PM, Nextmanup said:

I eat pop tarts all the time; I have an addiction with them.

No.1 favorite, by a mile, is cinnamon and brown sugar.

No. 2 is cherry.

After that, who cares.

Of note: for anyone in the South with access to Publix brand grocery stores, check out the Publix brand fake Pop Tarts.

They are about half the cost of the real thing, and actually much better.  The brown sugar/cinnamon that I eat constantly are noticeably  thicker with quite a bit more stuff inside, and the taste is a little different and better.

The "real" Pop Tarts taste kind of generic and chemically-based in comparison.

I wonder where the Publix are made...but they are great.

Might want to try any house brand you can find in your grocery store...might be the same thing I am eating from Publix.

$3.49 for 12 of these babies! 

large_1b32c481-b350-440c-ad41-f4422debf5

This is pretty much me, Brown sugar & Cinnamon and Cherry I think or Strawberry.....whichever one was the red filling with colorful bits on outside either way it's not like either of them actually tasted like strawberries or cherries.