2024 HOF Finalists

Draconator

To add to Draconator's post:

London Fletcher did not make the cut.

First-time finalists are Antonio Gates and Julius Peppers (bold)

Eric Allen, CB – Times as a Semifinalist: 4 – 2021-24

Jared Allen, DE – Times as a Semifinalist: 4 – 2021-24

Willie Anderson, T – Times as a Semifinalist: 4 – 2021-24

Jahri Evans, G – Times as a Semifinalist: 2 – 2023-24

Dwight Freeney, DE – Times as a Semifinalist: 2 – 2023-24

Antonio Gates, TE – Times as a Semifinalist: 1 – 2024

Devin Hester, PR/KR/WR – Times as a Semifinalist: 3 – 2022-24

Torry Holt, WR – Times as a Semifinalist: 10 – 2015-2024

Andre Johnson, WR - Times as a Semifinalist: 3 – 2022-24

Julius Peppers, DE – Times as a Semifinalist: 1 – 2024

Fred Taylor, RB – Times as a Semifinalist: 5 – 2020-24

Hines Ward, WR – Times as a Semifinalist: 8 – 2017-2024

Reggie Wayne, WR –Times as a Semifinalist: 5 – 2020-24

Patrick Willis, LB – Times as a Semifinalist: 5 – 2020-24

Darren Woodson, S - Times as a Semifinalist: 8 – 2015, 2017, 2019-2024

The list will be trimmed to the final 5 at Super Bowl Honors in early February.

Already named finalists are:

Coach/Contributor Committee:

Buddy Parker

Seniors Committee:

Randy Gradishar

Steve McMichael

Art Powell

Edited by chongli
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

A lot of deserving guys on this list. Here are my personal choices:

Reggie Wayne

Torry Holt

Fred Taylor

Julius Peppers

Jared Allen

*would have no problem seeing these two either*

Antonio Gates

Devin Hester

Fred Taylor in the hall of fame? What am I missing here...

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Southern_Bills said:

Patrick Willis is the only definite HoF, maybe Hester as a returner.

The rest are Hall of very good at best.

The Hall of Fame's by-laws require that between 4 and 9 people are elected each year, so you must choose more.

https://www.profootballhof.com/hall-of-famers/selection-process/

"There is no set number for any class of enshrinees, but the Committee's current bylaws stipulate that between four and nine new members will be selected each year. The 1973 and 1976 classes of three were the smallest named."

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Antonio Gates over Willis… that guy is the absolute definition of a HoF player. 

Gates. Hester. Peppers. Woodson and Willis. 

1 hour ago, Southern_Bills said:

I don't know. Jared Allen, Julius Peppers and Antonio Gates are Hall of Famers and more than just "very good". I would say Andre Johnson as well

1 hour ago, chongli said:

The Hall of Fame's by-laws require that between 4 and 9 people are elected each year, so you must choose more.

https://www.profootballhof.com/hall-of-famers/selection-process/

"There is no set number for any class of enshrinees, but the Committee's current bylaws stipulate that between four and nine new members will be selected each year. The 1973 and 1976 classes of three were the smallest named."

If I have to pick a minimum 4 off that list...

Antonio Gates

Torry Holt

Jared Allen

Andre Johnson

• Like (+1) 1

If there are only 5 players inducted each year there will be a lot more deserving players that will have 5 or more years on the finalist list before they make it & then there will be those like Tasker that was one of if not the best to play his position & never make it because of the small list that they allow in each year.

Just now, T master said:

If there are only 5 players inducted each year there will be a lot more deserving players that will have 5 or more years on the finalist list before they make it & then there will be those like Tasker that was one of if not the best to play his position & never make it because of the small list that they allow in each year.

That's why it's still a very selective list

3 minutes ago, T master said:

But Tasker can now only be selected by the Seniors Committee, so it is a separate pool.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The next Buffalo Bills player(s) who will be enshrined via the regular (under 25 years of eligibility) process will maybe be from:

Marshawn Lynch

Jason Peters

Stephon Gillmore

Von Miller

Gary Anderson (unlikely)

Anquan Boldin (unlikely)

Josh and Stefon: too soon to tell.

Am I forgetting anyone?

Edited by chongli

8 minutes ago, chongli said:

The next Buffalo Bills player(s) who will be enshrined via the regular (under 25 years of eligibility) process will maybe be from:

Marshawn Lynch

Jason Peters

Stephon Gillmore

Von Miller

Gary Anderson (unlikely)

Anquan Boldin (unlikely)

Josh and Stefon: too soon to tell.

Am I forgetting anyone?

Frank Gore

• Like (+1) 1

Probably not a popular opinion but I think Jared Allen should get in before Peppers.   Allen has less career sacks but had more per game.    Out of that list I think the following deserve the call. 

Antonio Gates

Eric Allen

Jared Allen

Jahri Evans

Tory Holt

Julius Peppers

Patrick Willis (I never thought he deserved early contention but hes waited five rounds, and he may be the most impactful ILB outside of Urlacher)

• Like (+1) 1

I still say the way the Pro Football HOF operates is lame.  It’s all about the ceremony.

in my opinion, if 10 guys that are eligible are worthy, then vote in 10.  Why limit it to 5?  Conversely, if nobody is worthy in a particular year, don’t vote in any.   Baseball does it the right way. They’ve had years with nobody voted in.

However, I don’t like how the voters for all of the HOFs think they need to decide if a player is worthy to be voted in their 1st year of eligibility.  To me, it should be black and white:  Is he worthy, Yes or No?   

As I sat watching the Bye Bye Barry documentary on Prime today. I thought about the chances of Allen making the HOF. And at the end of the day, I came to the conclusion that the Hall of Fame should be reserved for players that you cannot tell the story of NFL history without mentioning the inducted players. It is truly supposed to be impossible to tell the story of the NFL without bringing these players up. 

and this list leaves a lot to be desired in that way. It’s a shame. But it’s become the hall of very good or even the hall of pretty good. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

As I sat watching the Bye Bye Barry documentary on Prime today. I thought about the chances of Allen making the HOF. And at the end of the day, I came to the conclusion that the Hall of Fame should be reserved for players that you cannot tell the story of NFL history without mentioning the inducted players. It is truly supposed to be impossible to tell the story of the NFL without bringing these players up. 

and this list leaves a lot to be desired in that way. It’s a shame. But it’s become the hall of very good or even the hall of pretty good. 

For sure. The Hall is no longer that level of pedigree and it really should be. I would much rather see smaller classes and higher pedigree but that doesn't really pass the sex appeal test. 

54 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Probably not a popular opinion but I think Jared Allen should get in before Peppers.   Allen has less career sacks but had more per game.    Out of that list I think the following deserve the call. 

Antonio Gates

Eric Allen

Jared Allen

Jahri Evans

Tory Holt

Julius Peppers

Patrick Willis (I never thought he deserved early contention but hes waited five rounds, and he may be the most impactful ILB outside of Urlacher)

But only five can make it this year.

4 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Willis played 7.5 seasons and only had >100 tackles in 4 of them. How on earth is he a definite HoF other than “I’ve heard of him”?

Jared Allen and Peppers had similar careers.  Both were Defensive Rookie of the Year.  Both were 2-time Def Player of the Year and both were All Pro several times.  Peppers had more sacks (159 to 136) and played more seasons.

I consider Holt as Very Good.

Gates was one of the all time great TEs.

I only would pick, Peppers, Allen & Gates.

Edited by BobbyC81

3 hours ago, agilen said:

Willis played 7.5 seasons and only had >100 tackles in 4 of them. How on earth is he a definite HoF other than “I’ve heard of him”?

He was an All-Pro 5 of 8 years and pro bowl for 7 years.

He was the best player on what was a top 2-3 defense every year.

This is why I hate stats. On tape and on Sunday Willis is the focal point of any offense. 

Then some bum on a bad defense can make 120 tackles a year 6 yards down field and now he's supposedly better in the history books. 🤷

1 hour ago, Southern_Bills said:

He was an All-Pro 5 of 8 years and pro bowl for 7 years.

He was the best player on what was a top 2-3 defense every year.

This is why I hate stats. On tape and on Sunday Willis is the focal point of any offense. 

Then some bum on a bad defense can make 120 tackles a year 6 yards down field and now he's supposedly better in the history books. 🤷

Yes, and for some stats you can’t compare eras.  Bob Chandler could’ve been a consistent 100+ receptions per year guy in the current era.  

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Ummm...

Torry Holt (was the fastest WR in history to 10,000 yards), Reggie Wayne and Andre Johnson are all Hall of Fame worthy. 

Julius Peppers is 4th all time in career sacks.

Antonio Gates!  You don't remember him?  Travis Kelce has yet to eclipse his numbers and is currently 42 TDs behind Gates.

Wilfork is a lock to get in at some point as are a few others.  

10 hours ago, fridge said:

Fred Taylor in the hall of fame? What am I missing here...

He's borderline.  Had he not been buried on questionable Jacksonville teams, you'd think differently.  

Just under 12,000 rushing yards - 12k, seemingly being the criteria - career 4.6ypc.

Fred was a beast.

Football has changed in a way that makes it difficult to assess greatness. It’s a challenge to separate individual greatness from system players these days. I don’t know how to explain exactly why, but greatness is different from previous eras. Longevity also seems nonexistent outside of the QB position these days. 

In the group- I think the best players are:

Peppers

Gates

Willis - short career hurts his chances in some peoples eyes.  All pro every year he was healthy.  

WR- I think andre was a better player than Holt.  Holy has a championship.  Both are better than Wayne imo.  All 3 will likely get in over time.  

Jared and Eric Allen deserve to be in.  They have a great last name and their play was worthy of the yellow jacket. 

I don’t view Hester, Taylor, Anderson and Harrison as HoFers.  Woodson, Evans and Freeney are the toughest calls imo.  Maybe next year, I wouldn’t put them in over the others up top.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.