Bills @ Chargers post game thread

Fan in Chicago

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Who cares what "everybody" (national NFL talking heads) is saying. I don't look to the Cowherd's & Nick Wright's of the world for validation of the Bills.

And if you remember back 2021 when the Bills did get HOT and were on a roll at the end of that season they had a couple of clunky wins against the Jets & Falcons. And those sloppy wins came after their great win at NE in week 15.

Yeah, didn’t we really struggle to beat Carolina? I think Josh had like 3 picks then 

7 minutes ago, GottaRun said:

On a short week we flew to the West coast, turned the ball over 3 times, and still found a way to win.  Celebrate the victory! On the New England.

Exactly this! We had 4 full days off. They had 8 full days off. We flew for 5 hours. We won. OH YEAH BABYYYY!

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Most important game of the season and the Bills beat a team that just fired their HC/GM, and missing their starting QB, #1/#2WR, C, and starting DE by 2 points.  This is the same ***** we pulled against the Dolphins in the playoffs last year.  McD rarely has this team ready to play.  They are the dumbest, most undisciplined team in the league.  I don’t care what happens the remainder of this season, I will never be sold on McDingus as the HC.

Happy Festivus! It's good you got your "Airing of Grievances" in just before the midnight deadline.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

It would sure be nice to be peaking going into the playoffs. I dunno what's up with Josh this season but I hope he deals with whatever mental crap he's got going on and remembers how to string positive games together. His ball placement last night was very poor. Yes, it's nice to win a game we would have lost earlier in the season but I don't like playing down to the competition - we have losses to the Pats and Jets for cripes sake. 

That said, it's really nice to be going into Christmas with a win.

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Maybe some x o guys could chime in as I really would like to understand the protection on the last throw. Torrence seems to be moving over to help Morse? I see a hand signal from Brown maybe indicating he is going to pick his guy up? But that leaves Mack with a free rush to Josh..

I can explain

Brown gave the hand signal that he was going to do his vintage “Ole’!” block.

That’s where he stands there like a traffic cone while rushers blow by him on either side and he blocks nobody. It would be a insult to turnstiles to describe Brown as one.

IDK, I’ve been hearing how improved he’s been but in this game he was god awful and not just on that play. He was getting toasted in pass protection constantly.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, AmishRifle said:

Brian Billick.  Does that count?

😂Almost.

22 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

It would sure be nice to be peaking going into the playoffs. I dunno what's up with Josh this season but I hope he deals with whatever mental crap he's got going on and remembers how to string positive games together. His ball placement last night was very poor. Yes, it's nice to win a game we would have lost earlier in the season but I don't like playing down to the competition - we have losses to the Pats and Jets for cripes sake. 

His right shoulder is dinged up.

He is fighting through that injury.

The man has guts. 

And you never hear him use that nagging injury as an excuse.

• Eyeroll 1

48 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Exactly this! We had 4 full days off. They had 8 full days off. We flew for 5 hours. We won. OH YEAH BABYYYY!

They flew for 5 hours... boy their arms must be tired.

That's a piss poor excuse. Flying domestically shouldn't ever matter. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

Bills o line wearing white gloves? Jeesh, they just scream “look at my hands” against those blue jerseys. And surely helped draw those critical holding penalties. Mitch Morse’s one was where I thought that as an inside lineman, if he had blue gloves on, no way do the refs see / call that.

I noticed several DBs wearing blue gloves that blended in.

TBH you're probably right as the contrast of the white gloves on the Charger blue was stark but by the same token the officials missed several obvious holds by the Chargers oline and defense on the Bills and some of those were by Chargers players wearing YELLOW gloves, even more obvious! 

10 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think it’s a lot higher than that with the cincy loss tonight and around 80% if Cleveland beats Houston tomorrow 

Yup, NYT playoff simulator has the Bills at 80% right now before any other games. 37% chance to win the division, which based on the Dolphins track record of both not beating good teams this year and December fades for decades is more like 90% for me, IMO.

After today's games the Bills will likely be around a 75% chance considering the following teams winning: Colts, Browns, Jags, Cowboys, Broncos.

Cowboys win pushes the odds of the Bills winning the division to around 50-50.

24 minutes ago, klos63 said:

They flew for 5 hours... boy their arms must be tired.

That's a piss poor excuse. Flying domestically shouldn't ever matter. 

Really?  Then why do West Coast teams have a notoriously poor record at 1pm Eastern games on the East Coast over many decades?

Edited by Big Turk

37 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yup, NYT playoff simulator has the Bills at 80% right now before any other games. 37% chance to win the division, which based on the Dolphins track record of both not beating good teams this year and December fades for decades is more like 90% for me, IMO.

After today's games the Bills will likely be around a 75% chance considering the following teams winning: Colts, Browns, Jags, Cowboys, Broncos.

Really?  Then why do West Coast teams have a notoriously poor record at 1pm Eastern games on the East Coast over many decades?

What's the record? Matchups? 

Historically, the home teams win more often.  Refs gave home teams the advantage. 

I just read an interesting stat, that since replay was instituted, home team win % has decreased significantly. 

And the Bills did win yesterday. 

1 hour ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Name me a successful coach that didn't have a quality quarterback.

Keep trying.

Kevin Stefanski?

Dick Jauron with the Bears when they went 13-3?

Tampa Bay under Gruden when they won the Super Bowl?

Washington Redskins with Doug Williams?

NY Giants with Jeff Hostetler?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Kevin Stefanski?

Dick Jauron with the Bears when they went 13-3?

Tampa Bay under Gruden when they won the Super Bowl?

Washington Redskins with Doug Williams?

NY Giants with Jeff Hostetler?

Those are outliers for sure.

Good job.

But the point is MOST all time great coaches were blessed with having great quarterbacks.  That does not diminish their successful track record.

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

He’s the number one rated QB in the league. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

It’s crazy that if you just pick the cowboys beating the dolphins without picking any other games the bills playoff odds don’t really increase at all in the nyt simulator haha. Seems like their simulations see the wildcard as the easier path now  

on that second point I think people might assume you’re talkin about a time zone change or something but really it’s about recovery time.  Short week and you’ve gotta jam into a plane to fly cross country doesn’t seem optimal when the other team on a short week doesn’t have to do anything special.  I’d be really interested to see the home vs road overall win percentage on short weeks 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Here is something positive---Joe Brady made a successful running game adjustment during the game.

Why is that notable? Because Brady is a quarterbacks/passing game coach by training. Despite that, he had the wherewithal to diagnose and fix a running game problem mid-game. The run is important to him.

Contrast that to Ken Dorsey the famed QB and QB coach--the running game was a secondary importance to him. His fix to everything was more Allen/Diggs. Dorsey was all about the passing to the neglect of everything else while Brady is the well-rounded coordinator.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

LOL  Well, they were favored by 2 TDs last night and they barely squeaked by an inferior opponent, so….

Maybe if Josh Allen spent more time on the practice field honing his accuracy vs being down in his basement working on his golf swing, he wouldn’t miss wide open receivers.

And maybe if Cook and other ball carriers were at practice working on their ball protection skills instead of clubbing downtown somewhere, they wouldn’t be fumbling the ball away so often. 😉

I find it amazing that not practicing in the bye week wasn’t an issue last week when we dominated Cowboys.  Or it wasn’t an issue when we beat the Chiefs in Arrowhead.

But somehow it skipped last two weeks and it affected this week.  It makes perfect sense.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

It’s crazy that if you just pick the cowboys beating the dolphins without picking any other games the bills playoff odds don’t really increase at all in the nyt simulator haha. Seems like their simulations see the wildcard as the easier path now  

I get the impression that the NY Times simulator isn't very sophisticated.

I tried googling to see what the algorithm might be, but I couldn't find anything.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Maybe some x o guys could chime in as I really would like to understand the protection on the last throw. Torrence seems to be moving over to help Morse? I see a hand signal from Brown maybe indicating he is going to pick his guy up? But that leaves Mack with a free rush to Josh..

Yeah real easy, Allen just fits a pass in a one foot window for 11 yards on 3rd and 8 right before Diggs goes out of bounds and Diggs has to make that catch. Then on another 3rd down pressure in his face off his back foot to Shakir but the Chargers weren't covering anyone, except Allen already talked about the play and said they covered his hot read in Cook you know where he would go with rushers in his face. But you know easy, was he being sarcastic?

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Too much information

You know because he shows up once a month.

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I find it amazing that not practicing in the bye week wasn’t an issue last week when we dominated Cowboys.  Or it wasn’t an issue when we beat the Chiefs in Arrowhead.

But somehow it skipped last two weeks and it affected this week.  It makes perfect sense.

I can’t claim to know how players feel but if you play hard and get beat up in a huge game then have one less day to recover and a cross country trip I could see coming out flat.  I think it’s more about player recovery than getting to practice…guys were flying all over the field in that cowboys game and we didn’t see a lot of that last night 

1 minute ago, boater said:

I get the impression that the NY Times simulator isn't very sophisticated.

I tried googling to see what the algorithm might be, but I couldn't find anything.

I think they base their simulations on ELO ratings…I stumbled into a page explaining their methodology once but I doubt I’ll ever find it again 😂

3 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

LOL  Well, they were favored by 2 TDs last night and they barely squeaked by an inferior opponent, so….

Maybe if Josh Allen spent more time on the practice field honing his accuracy vs being down in his basement working on his golf swing, he wouldn’t miss wide open receivers.

And maybe if Cook and other ball carriers were at practice working on their ball protection skills instead of clubbing downtown somewhere, they wouldn’t be fumbling the ball away so often. 😉

I missed a brief portion of the game having to pick up some stuff for a Christmas party…haha but the ‘missed wide open receivers’ that I saw was Josh having to throw off his back foot under pressure which is easier said than done.  Ironically he made an absolutely huge play on the final drive doing just that so I’d say he more than redeemed himself

a lot of times the broadcast angle makes throws look easier than they really are too because you don’t get to see what the passing lanes look like.  There was another one where he had a guy open but had to throw the ball around a DLs arm. Kincaid still could’ve caught it but it wasn’t an easy catch.   A view from behind the qb would be a lot more helpful in that regard 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

This was NOT a trap game.  Bills have to win to keep their season alive, there is no trap.  Bills had some bad turnovers and made some big plays to win.  Otherwise this game was pretty even for a non playoff team with a inexperienced QB and interim coach vs a team that could still possibly win the AFC East.

Brady appeared to pull out one of Dorsey's gameplans from October.  There was no continuity in the gameplan and it was back to Josh go out and make a big play, which he did make some big plays and also threw an interception trying to make a big play.  Bills seemed to regress in this game and the defense played a soft zone that Easton Stick was able to hit his receivers all game long.  I figured the Chargers would play much better than last week, but I expected the Bills to better.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, stevewin said:

I'm wondering if Josh's shoulder is worse than they are letting on.  Seems like it could be the reason for all his off-platforn throws too - feels like he's just gutting the ball out at tines

If your shoulder was bothering you, wouldn’t you be throwing more ON-platform passes, setting your feet and stepping into balls to take pressure off your shoulder?  Seems like off-platform stuff would be a lot more dangerous and painful.  

5 hours ago, loedward22 said:

Spencer Brown didn’t look too good there

Watching that play and noticing Spencer Brown is a little bit like …

looking at this picture..

Sexi-Girls-wallpaper-9706.jpg

..and commenting on the quality of tacks in the upholstery. 

Too many people are just looking for ***** to B word about!  Enjoy the beautiful win before you.  Life is short. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

It's probably already been mentioned but hey officially a winning season now 9-6

I believe that’s five straight by McD.  Terrible.  He should be fired. 

A win next week will give the Bills five consecutive 10-win seasons (all accomplished within 16 games) for the first time in their history.  Look it up. 

Edited by BRH
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Dan said:

Watching that play and noticing Spencer Brown is a little bit like …

looking at this picture..

Sexi-Girls-wallpaper-9706.jpg

..and commenting on the quality of tacks in the upholstery. 

Too many people are just looking for ***** to B word about!  Enjoy the beautiful win before you.  Life is short. 

I'm sorry you were saying something about Spencer Brown?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Didnt notice but Kelce brother's brought that up with Edelman... someone please text the coaches and equipment folks... gloves should match opponents jerseys... duh

Here's the league's glove policy.

Approved Glove Color
(h) Gloves, wrappings, elbow pads, and other items worn on the arms below or over the jersey sleeves by interior offensive linemen (excluding tight ends) which are of a color different from that which is mandatorily reported to the League office by the club before July 1 each year. Such reported color must be white or other official color of the applicable team, and, once reported, must not be changed throughout that same season. Players at other positions (non-interior linemen) also may wear gloves provided they are a solid white, solid black, or a solid color that is an official color of the applicable club. Gloves may also be a tri-color combination of black, white, and one (1) official color of the applicable club. Gloves may also be a bi-color combination of black or white with one (1) official color of the applicable team. Clubs are not required to designate to the League office by July 1, the color of gloves that will be worn by their non-interior linemen.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.