This will be the first game I miss in 27 years. Thanks NFL

Heavy Kevi

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Love that you had an entire season to figure this out and the week of the game, you just give up!  That’s the spirit!

and the only game I missed in forever is when my ex girlfriend said we could watch the game on her non cable tv in Corning. She was wrong (and she didn’t care because she hated football) and by the time we figured out we had to go out for the game, Peterman had 4  ints against the Chargers no less!

For your sake, happy to see that she is an “ex” for you 😎👍 

30 minutes ago, Augie said:

It’s really not the money as much as the hassle and the feeling of a “this is what you will have to do” attitude, again. It just rubs me wrong for some reason. 

But somehow I’ll see the Bills game, and that’s obviously the easiest and cheapest way. I certainly can’t deny that

Wait….you’re married and yet you don’t like being told what to do?  😝

On 12/19/2023 at 6:43 AM, Heavy Kevi said:

I have watched every game for decades. Literally.

Even gotten free trials of fubo, downloaded apps, got up at absurd times to see London games, etc.

But this game isn't on LOCAL ROCHESTER MARKET because piddly little peacock is trying a money grab. 

All the other "exclusives" had free trials, were simulcast on a real network, or even in the case of prime- everyone already has it. But peacock, tiny little bullschitt peacock with nothing worthwhile to offer? The NFL not only isn't afraid, they actively don't like us.

So I can't. I just can't. Sure, I could afford the subscription; but I can't positively reinforce negative behavior by the NFL trying yet another way into fans' pockets. 

They will take our tax money to build the brand new stadium for a billionaire, but we can't even watch the effing game. Pathetic.

I hear you but no need to take the sword.  $5.99 is worth it to me- just make sure you save your account info so you can cancel before the month is up. 

25 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Wait….you’re married and yet you don’t like being told what to do?  😝

I said I had to draw the line somewhere. There’s all kinds of stuff on either side of the line. And sometimes the line has some curves to it. And the occasional crack. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If he Bills were playing, and that was my only option, I’d subscribe to all of them. If it was 10, and it was $600, so be it. Do I want that? Of course not, but the Bills come first. At $6, I question the “love” of those unwilling.

Also, I have YTTV and have NFL Network. 

It is $6!!!! If it were a lot, I’d understand potentially. It is $.20 a day. If that’s a hill people want to die on, I question their commitment.

it’s not though, it’s $100 for prime, $80 a month for YouTube tv, with local, NFLN and espn, then $400 for Sunday ticket…. And after buying ALL of that anther $6 on yet another app?? It’s obnoxious 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

it’s not though, it’s $100 for prime, $80 a month for YouTube tv, with local, NFLN and espn, then $400 for Sunday ticket…. And after buying ALL of that anther $6 on yet another app?? It’s obnoxious 

Yet many cut out cable due to cost. 

20 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

And ESPN+ too for the international game they had this year.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

It’s really not the money as much as the hassle and the feeling of a “this is what you will have to do” attitude, again. It just rubs me wrong for some reason. 

But somehow I’ll see the Bills game, and that’s obviously the easiest and cheapest way. I certainly can’t deny that

That’s kind of the point. It might be a slight annoyance but you aren’t going to say “I won’t watch that game because of it.” 

58 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

That’s like $140 a month. The $6 piece is the hill I can’t fathom dying on. If you had to buy the game on PPV for like $50, I’d still think that 98% of this place would. It would be annoying but it is what it is. At $6, I’m not seeing the reason for resistance. Just get your wallet and enjoy old wrestling PPVs

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If he Bills were playing, and that was my only option, I’d subscribe to all of them. If it was 10, and it was $600, so be it. Do I want that? Of course not, but the Bills come first. At $6, I question the “love” of those unwilling.

Also, I have YTTV and have NFL Network. 

It is $6!!!! If it were a lot, I’d understand potentially. It is $.20 a day. If that’s a hill people want to die on, I question their commitment.

I’m always amazed at the amount of people on here that willingly admit to being cheap.  It’s hilarious and sad at the same time, not to mention embarrassing. If I was cheap, I certainly wouldn’t broadcast it to the world. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Augie said:

The ‘hassle’ is relative in this instance. I like having a means to sit in my cozy living room or man cave to watch Bills games.
Yeah, it’s somewhat of a hassle compared to the days of Directv Sunday ticket with a game or two on ESPN, channel 206 or the occasional major network night game. But even with the inconvenience of needing to subscribe to multiple services to see all the games, it still beats the alternative of sitting for 4 hours in uncomfortable wood chairs in a noisy sports bar that serves overpriced and poorly cooked wings. 

In my opinion, the pre-streaming days of Directv NFL Sunday ticket were ideal. Good DVR options, great picture, and I still much prefer rewind and fast-forward features on DTV.
Streaming has its place, but it’s given the NFL new methods of forcing us to bend over if we want to see our team. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/19/2023 at 7:46 AM, strive_for_five_guy said:

There isn’t a nearby sportsbar you could watch the game at?

He claims he owns a sports bar?🤦‍♂️

9 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

The ‘hassle’ is relative in this instance. I like having a means to sit in my cozy living room or man cave to watch Bills games.
Yeah, it’s somewhat of a hassle compared to the days of Directv Sunday ticket with a game or two on ESPN, channel 206 or the occasional major network night game. But even with the inconvenience of needing to subscribe to multiple services to see all the games, it still beats the alternative of sitting for 4 hours in uncomfortable wood chairs in a noisy sports bar that serves overpriced and poorly cooked wings. 

In my opinion, the pre-streaming days of Directv NFL Sunday ticket were ideal. Good DVR options, great picture, and I still much prefer rewind and fast-forward features on DTV.
Streaming has its place, but it’s given the NFL new methods of forcing us to bend over if we want to see our team. 

AMEN!

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/19/2023 at 7:55 AM, Heavy Kevi said:

I own a Bills Backer bar.

That's not the point.

They don't though. They did up until a couple weeks ago, but not now. They made the cutoff significantly before this game on purpose to stop people from being able to watch for free.

But I pay taxes that are being taken to build the stadium.

I think this is the most boss response I have ever read on my 15 + years on Bills message boards. And I and many others made a lot of boss statements in the old “drunk thread”.

• Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s kind of the point. It might be a slight annoyance but you aren’t going to say “I won’t watch that game because of it.” 

That’s like $140 a month. The $6 piece is the hill I can’t fathom dying on. If you had to buy the game on PPV for like $50, I’d still think that 98% of this place would. It would be annoying but it is what it is. At $6, I’m not seeing the reason for resistance. Just get your wallet and enjoy old wrestling PPVs

When is enough enough for you personally?  5 streaming services? 17? 

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Again it’s not the money- it’s the fourteen ***** different streaming services to watch a season. 

15 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Again it’s not the money- it’s the fourteen ***** different streaming services to watch a season. 

Just use the same password for all of them. Boom. Done. 

Is it really that difficult for you?  Most people have multiple email accounts, bank accounts, music accounts, ticketing accounts, insurance accounts….it’s the way things are done now. 

It’s a hell of a lot easier and cheaper to sign up for one month of a streaming service than to go to a game in person. 

Whining about it isn’t very Mafia-like. 🤣🤣

4 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Just use the same password for all of them. Boom. Done. 

Is it really that difficult for you?  Most people have multiple email accounts, bank accounts, music accounts, ticketing accounts, insurance accounts….it’s the way things are done now. 

It’s a hell of a lot easier and cheaper to sign up for one month of a streaming service than to go to a game in person. 

Whining about it isn’t very Mafia-like. 🤣🤣

Don’t give me the whining stuff.  My time and user experience is material. The more friction and complexity they add the more annoying. 

Give me a one stop shop and take my money! I’d pay 2x ST just to have one product to watch all games.

And use the same password everywhere? brilliant idea 😂 

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I don’t think anyone who watched people cutting the one stop shop cable cord could’ve predicted what would happen. 🙄

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

For me it's not a stand of "else I won't watch the game". That doesn't cross my mind, but I agree with the OP's frustration of having to pay extra for everything . I too have Prime, Sunday Ticket and YTV. 

I think it may be better for the NFL to pilot a package for all of a single team's games irrespective of the channel of their broadcast. I like football in general but will gladly pay for a guaranteed season's worth of Bills games. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Billznut said:

I’m always amazed at the amount of people on here that willingly admit to being cheap.  It’s hilarious and sad at the same time, not to mention embarrassing. If I was cheap, I certainly wouldn’t broadcast it to the world. 

The cheapest thing I saw was a woman going to Fuddruckers and after having eaten (no leftovers), she went and got some of the lettuce and tomatoes in the self-serve burger topping bar and took them home in a napkin for later.

The most wasteful thing I saw was a woman at Panera Bread taking one bite from a salad entre and then leaving it after chatting with her friend. [So I guess you have $10 or so to blow? Must be nice.]

---

Second post [I hate when these are merged and the topic is so different and not a response to a quote]:

No non-Buffalo fan cares about missing this game since our opponent is the Chargers and it's a Saturday night and everyone hates Collinsworth. Watch the nation freak out though when it's the Wild Card Saturday night and people are scrambling to do something about it, especially if it's a good matchup.

Edited by chongli

27 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I think it may be better for the NFL to pilot a package for all of a single team's games irrespective of the channel of their broadcast. I like football in general but will gladly pay for a guaranteed season's worth of Bills games. 

The NFL would charge a premium for that, as a convenience fee.

6 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

When is enough enough for you personally?  5 streaming services? 17? 

If it is to watch a BILLS game, there isn’t a number. I spend a lot on the Bills and never once regret it. If you count travel/tickets/parking/tailgate/concessions/merch/streaming services it is $10k-$20k a year (high side this year with the London trip). My investment will likely increase with the new stadium. There are people here that are significantly more than that. I chose to allocate whatever discretionary income is needed for the Bills. I’d make sacrifices elsewhere if push came to shove. 

If it were to watch Chargers - Packers, it would be $0 I guess. I don’t value Chargers - Packers enough to buy a new service that I would never watch otherwise. If it were Dolphins - Chiefs, I would buy the $6 service. Would I spend $50 to watch Dolphins - Chiefs on PPV? I probably would, depending on what else I had going on. I’ve spent money to attend other NFL games with teams that I have no interest in but it was “entertainment.” The number that I’d be willing to spend there is significantly less than if the Bills were involved. 

I don’t have “principle” when it comes to when/where I watch games. If I want to watch it, I’ll spend the money to do so.

They are running a business. I’m not trying to “teach them a lessson” about when “enough is enough.” If the demand is not there, these services will stop forking over the money for the rights. It’s basic economics. If people want to teach the NFL a lesson, and boycott these games, they have the right to. I can’t fathom Bills fans, drawing a line in the sand over $6. If a Cardinals fan wanted to draw a line in the sand, I’d understand more. If the demand isn’t there the “problem” will take care of itself.

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

If it isn’t the money I don’t see the issue. The 30 seconds to download a new streaming service just isn’t a big barrier. You can cancel it and delete it after the game. That’s another 30 seconds that you’d be committing. 

3 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

For me it's not a stand of "else I won't watch the game". That doesn't cross my mind, but I agree with the OP's frustration of having to pay extra for everything . I too have Prime, Sunday Ticket and YTV. 

This is a logical opinion and I don’t disagree with the annoyance. It’s a very slight annoyance to me but I get it.

My issue was more with “this is a bridge too far.” If you haven’t missed a Bills game in 27 years and $6 + 30 seconds of your time is the hurdle you can’t overcome, I question your commitment.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

It's crazy to think where streaming has gone. I was an eary adaptor of cord cutting because I just hated paying for a TV package with channels I never watched. There were only a few streaming services to begin with, so it was easy enough to find content. This has now splintered into what seems like every brand wanting to host their own services, to monitize. It's odd the NFL hasn't chosen to do this but based on how long Disney and Apple tested before they launched maybe they feel like the knowledge isn't there or they don't want to invest in a product they don't think they can deliver on.

Funny enough with all these various streaming services now its seems like a service is needed to organise them all, and provide them under one umbrella.... a TV package if you will haha.

First world problems.  Entitlement.  Laziness.  Take your pick. Turn on the news and see what problems the rest of the world has, and you’ll be happy this is what you have to deal with. 

Edited by WotAGuy

On 12/19/2023 at 4:55 AM, Wacka said:

Drive to Batavia and watch from some place there. They should be in the WGRZ broadcast area. I used to drive 30-40 miles  one way every week to watch the games with the San JoseBills Backers when I lived in CA.

I did also, until the Sunday Ticket.

3 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Just trying to make it easier for you bro. You seem to be struggling with it. 

The only struggle is helping  people understand the nuisance in the NFL distributing exclusive content across literally 7 different platforms. it’s a real concept known as customer friction and UX. 

But you are for it, don’t get it and don’t value your time- and that’s fine too. 

hopefully for your sake they get Apple plus and Hulu involved , he’ll maybe a different platform each game! 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.