Gabe's momma chimes in

Process

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I posted it earlier in the thread. They don’t factor in depth of target or how contested the catch is. Thus, the leaders in this category are all RBs.

unless you think Zach Moss is 30% better at catching a football than Diggs. 

I understand the parameters of it. Guys are asked to do different things. Davis’s job is different so you think his low percentage is acceptable. I don’t expect him to be perfect, I expect him to be reliable and he isn’t. You seem to have a lot of emphasis on Gabes depth of route, now you want to add in how contested the catch was. There are also miscommunications that seem to be pretty regular between Gabe and Allen. Not saying it’s all him but we rarely see it between Allen and Diggs. We can say the same about Smokey and Beas too when they were here. Some of these miscommunications have been on 3rd down and stalled drives, others have led to turnovers. Add in the drops and it just makes a very unreliable player. Especially for a #2 in a pass happy offense. 

I had high hopes for Gabe. I picked him in my fantasy draft last year in like the 4th round. Think he was the first WR I took. He just hasn’t taken steps forward. Beane gave him a great opportunity here and he ***** deserved it with how he played as our #3 WR his first two seasons. After last year Beane gave us the excuses about the ankle holding him back but it seems nothing has changed. He’s still the same player

Bringing up Zach Moss compared to Diggs is just a ridiculous. And really trying to hard to make a stupid *****  point. Also in another post WeO said you couldn’t compare Gabes first downs to Jefferson’s because he’s one of the best in the game. Then  in another thread tries to prove a point by asking if we think  Knox’s hands are better than Coopers, Ridleys, Kupps, Hopkins, and Samuel because Knox must have a better catching percentage. All those other guys are #1 WRs who face double coverage on regular basis.  All these comparisons are just stupid. 

Gabe is Gabe. I’m not comparing him to anyone I just think we need more out of the #2 Wr position than he is bringing to the table. He’s made some great plays and had some huge games but there is just too much of nothing in between.  At crucial times when we just need something simple out of him we don’t get anything. 

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

How is that an excuse? It’s a fact. https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/receiving-catch-rate

Zach Moss catches the ball at almost 30% higher than Diggs. That’s a great stat right???

davis isn’t a good enough number 2. We can all agree on that. But using catch % to justify that is flat out stupid 

Dude, it's misguided if we compare his catch % to RBs  (who are only asked to catch short slants and flats and checkdowns).  It's not necessarily misguided if we compare his catch % to other WR.  Now it's a fact that of the 56 WR who have more Y/G than Davis, only about a dozen have comparable catch %.  Then someone could look at who those WR are and weigh in there.

But riddle me this: You say we can all agree Davis isn't a good enough number 2.  But you defend his catch %, and his Y/G do put him in #2 territory.

So what are your criteria for saying he isn't a good enough number 2?

On 12/13/2023 at 1:32 PM, Mr. WEO said:

This has been posted many times (and should be obvious to any viewer), but Kincaid is running short out routes almost exclusively. 

Except that I don't think it's correct that "Kincaid is running short out routes almost exclusively", except in the same sense where folks here think any handoff to the RB from shotgun is a "Draw"

For a rookie, Kincaid also seems to be excelling at being "QB friendly" by making an adjustment to find an open space when Josh is in trouble.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Except that I don't think it's correct that "Kincaid is running short out routes almost exclusively", except in the same sense where folks here think any handoff to the RB from shotgun is a "Draw"

For a rookie, Kincaid also seems to be excelling at being "QB friendly" by making an adjustment to find an open space when Josh is in trouble.

This is what I have been saying--he's a checkdown option a few yards away.  

19 hours ago, BananaB said:

I understand the parameters of it. Guys are asked to do different things. Davis’s job is different so you think his low percentage is acceptable. I don’t expect him to be perfect, I expect him to be reliable and he isn’t. You seem to have a lot of emphasis on Gabes depth of route, now you want to add in how contested the catch was. There are also miscommunications that seem to be pretty regular between Gabe and Allen. Not saying it’s all him but we rarely see it between Allen and Diggs. We can say the same about Smokey and Beas too when they were here. Some of these miscommunications have been on 3rd down and stalled drives, others have led to turnovers. Add in the drops and it just makes a very unreliable player. Especially for a #2 in a pass happy offense. 

I had high hopes for Gabe. I picked him in my fantasy draft last year in like the 4th round. Think he was the first WR I took. He just hasn’t taken steps forward. Beane gave him a great opportunity here and he ***** deserved it with how he played as our #3 WR his first two seasons. After last year Beane gave us the excuses about the ankle holding him back but it seems nothing has changed. He’s still the same player

Bringing up Zach Moss compared to Diggs is just a ridiculous. And really trying to hard to make a stupid *****  point. Also in another post WeO said you couldn’t compare Gabes first downs to Jefferson’s because he’s one of the best in the game. Then  in another thread tries to prove a point by asking if we think  Knox’s hands are better than Coopers, Ridleys, Kupps, Hopkins, and Samuel because Knox must have a better catching percentage. All those other guys are #1 WRs who face double coverage on regular basis.  All these comparisons are just stupid. 

Gabe is Gabe. I’m not comparing him to anyone I just think we need more out of the #2 Wr position than he is bringing to the table. He’s made some great plays and had some huge games but there is just too much of nothing in between.  At crucial times when we just need something simple out of him we don’t get anything. 

No WR1's face double coverage "on a regular basis", unless you are redefining the concept.

Sometimes a player turns out to be exactly what he was projected to be. See Scouting Report, Davis, Gabriel. https://www.nfl.com/prospects/gabriel-davis/32004441-5632-9675-38f5-3e009da4e98e

Big target with outstanding 2019 production in an offense that created favorable big play opportunities. Davis is a sideline threat with a good feel for creating space short and long through hand fighting. His build-up speed, ball-tracking and high-point talent can alter the success rate of deep throws for quarterbacks, but sluggish release quickness and predictable route usage are concerning. His size and downfield talent could push him up the board, but he won't get easy looks in the pros and may need more work and development than the 2019 production might indicate

Strengths

Had multiple touchdowns five times in 2019

Consistently catches with extended hands away from frame

Expert hand fighter short and deep

Creates space for outside press release with stiff jab

Stacks cornerback and gives gentle push-offs for vertical separation

Wins over the top with timing and high-point extension

Catch radius to turn overthrows into catches underneath

Size and strength for all blocking duties

Smooth burst at stem to gain ground on post routes

Skilled ball tracker deep

Double moves feature fluid stop-start

Weaknesses

Excessive stutter-steps against soft press positioning

Doesn't have threatening initial surge into routes

Tight hips limit quickness into breaks

Could struggle to find operating room as a pro

Schemed into multiple one-on-one looks downfield

Needs to get shoulders squared to throws to protect catch space

Below-average talent after the catch

Ran limited route tree

Takes plays off when he's not primary target

Projection: Average starter.

Actual NFL history: Average starter.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, BananaB said:

Then why do keep bringing up the same stupid stat to justify it? It’s a dumb stat so stop using it.

yes Gabe Davis isn’t good enough as number 2. But would he be better if he caught screens and 3 yard passes to have a high catch %? So stupid. 

On 12/13/2023 at 6:36 PM, JTown said:

I vehemently disagree.   Dallas defense will pressure Josh a hell of a lot more than KC did.

Even more worrisome is I don't think that our secondary will have much success against Dallas  WR.

I hope that I am wrong on both counts. 

Go Bills 

I think you should just change your name to Nostradamus.  You were so close here too, just like in the other thread.

I am still just relieved that Allen lived through that carnage, domination.  Hope he can come back and still play again effectively this year after that beat down.  And I truly wonder if the Bills secondary can ever really recover any semblance of confidence after the girls' receivers made them look completely hapless, hopeless, as they ran all over the field against the Bills.

Poor Bills...hard to recall a team getting dominated in the same manner we all saw on Sunday.

Soo sharp and accurate in your astute, well-reasoned predictions.

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 12/14/2023 at 6:21 PM, Beck Water said:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 12/15/2023 at 11:00 AM, The Frankish Reich said:

Sometimes a player turns out to be exactly what he was projected to be. See Scouting Report, Davis, Gabriel. https://www.nfl.com/prospects/gabriel-davis/32004441-5632-9675-38f5-3e009da4e98e

Big target with outstanding 2019 production in an offense that created favorable big play opportunities. Davis is a sideline threat with a good feel for creating space short and long through hand fighting. His build-up speed, ball-tracking and high-point talent can alter the success rate of deep throws for quarterbacks, but sluggish release quickness and predictable route usage are concerning. His size and downfield talent could push him up the board, but he won't get easy looks in the pros and may need more work and development than the 2019 production might indicate

Strengths

Had multiple touchdowns five times in 2019

Consistently catches with extended hands away from frame

Expert hand fighter short and deep

Creates space for outside press release with stiff jab

Stacks cornerback and gives gentle push-offs for vertical separation

Wins over the top with timing and high-point extension

Catch radius to turn overthrows into catches underneath

Size and strength for all blocking duties

Smooth burst at stem to gain ground on post routes

Skilled ball tracker deep

Double moves feature fluid stop-start

Weaknesses

Excessive stutter-steps against soft press positioning

Doesn't have threatening initial surge into routes

Tight hips limit quickness into breaks

Could struggle to find operating room as a pro

Schemed into multiple one-on-one looks downfield

Needs to get shoulders squared to throws to protect catch space

Below-average talent after the catch

Ran limited route tree

Takes plays off when he's not primary target

Projection: Average starter.

Actual NFL history: Average starter.

Gabe only shows up in the big games. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bills-wr-gabe-davis-talks-lack-of-targets-not-that-easy/ar-AA1lV5vl?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=8f10b875add448d29b483103d45a337f&ei=12

“It’s not that easy, but you know I gotta do it," Davis said. "I gotta be and do what my team asks me to do and all I can do is control what I can control. But, you know, I’m doing good in the blocking game and... real confident in that.”

“Me and Josh had a conversation and, you know, again, that’s what the game brings," Davis said. "You know, we both know that we want each of us to be successful — my success is his success, and vice versa when he’s throwing me the ball. So, it’s not that we don’t want it to happen, but you know, the league is tough and all the stars gotta align for stuff to go your way all the time.”

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Well, Gabe's mom, you done trippin for the rest of the regular season? 6 targets, 4 catches for 130 yds and a TD. 

I love Gabe, but I wish he could string together games like the one he had today....its obvious he has the ability, but for whatever reason, the consistency isn't there as much as the Bills need it to be.

Maybe he can get on a roll in these next two games and hopefully a long playoff run.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, sonyab1974 said:

No it's not. She is a mama bear protecting her son no matter what. As a mama should.

Joking?

You want your mommy defending you against strangers on the internet?

Come on now nobody wants OR needs that. It's not like a tiger was gonna eat him, it's just internet people saying mean things. That needs no defense, and quite frankly it brought alot more attention to it by legitimizing it with a response.

On 12/24/2023 at 11:27 AM, Heavy Kevi said:

Joking?

You want your mommy defending you against strangers on the internet?

Come on now nobody wants OR needs that. It's not like a tiger was gonna eat him, it's just internet people saying mean things. That needs no defense, and quite frankly it brought alot more attention to it by legitimizing it with a response.

Maybe you don’t need it or want it, but her protecting her son is honorable I think. And yes I would always want my mother to defend me. :)

On 12/24/2023 at 11:24 AM, EasternOHBillsFan said:

My mom would never go onto social media and put our business out there... definitely not the way to do it.

Everyone is different. It’s not your mom’s way and that’s fine. There is no right or wrong way. 

On 12/24/2023 at 10:12 AM, stevestojan said:

He’s not a toddler.

Her being involved in any way is humiliating. 

He said he was humiliated? 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/24/2023 at 12:55 AM, Special K said:

I love Gabe, but I wish he could string together games like the one he had today....its obvious he has the ability, but for whatever reason, the consistency isn't there as much as the Bills need it to be.

Maybe he can get on a roll in these next two games and hopefully a long playoff run.

I could be totally wrong, but it seems like Gabe’s production is based off matchup. He’s not the type of player that’s matchup proof unfortunately.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.