Are you ready to marry Brady? (Joe)

Mikie2times

6 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

I mean Josh had Gabe running wide open for the go ahead TD and he just completely didn't even see him. Not everything is Brady. 

Giving Josh a pass there although it would’ve been beautiful (assuming Gabe doesnt drop it- big if!). Hard to see the whole field when you have Chris Jones bearing down and you’re running for your life.

• Like (+1) 1

Spagnuolo badly out coached him in the 2nd half, but Spagnuolo is probably the best defensive mind in the league. So far this year only Matt Lafleur has straight up out coached him. If we want an offensive mind that can match up against him it will have to come from the top because OCs that good don't remain OCs for long.

Alternatively we can actually just try to build an elite offensive supporting cast around Allen, and that will trump coaching every time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I made a thread about a new assistant hire that I didn’t know about but it never got any traction. I think it applies here so I am going to copy it here….

This article just popped up in my MSN feed.  I knew nothing about this.  Thoughts?

The Buffalo Bills made a smart under-the-radar move to start the week that should only serve to help the offense. 

Buffalo reportedly hired DJ Mangas as an offensive assistant. Most of the time, an offensive assistant hire doesn't move the needle. But Mangas is an interesting addition to the Bills' staff due to his connection to offensive coordinator Joe Brady. 

Mangas and Brady are extremely close. The two played college football together at William & Mary. And more importantly, they were on staff together at LSU during the Tigers' record-breaking season in 2019 that featured monstrous performances from Joe Burrow, Ja'Marr Chase, and Justin Jefferson. Mangas sat next to Brady throughout LSU's national championship run. 

Mangas has since served as an assistant with the Carolina Panthers and as the passing game coordinator at LSU. He was most recently the offensive coordinator at the University of Buffalo. 

It's not like the addition of Mangas is suddenly going to take the Bills' offense to a new level. But his addition will allow Brady to be a little more comfortable in his role as Buffalo's offensive coordinator. Continuity on an offensive staff is incredibly important. And having Mangas, who actually officiated Brady's wedding, will provide some of that much-needed continuity. 

This move also shows that Sean McDermott is committed to letting Brady run his offense, which is something the young play-caller didn't really get to do during his short run as the Panthers' offensive coordinator under Matt Rhule (and that job set Brady's career back a bit). 

By firing Ken Dorsey, the Bills may have stumbled into one of the best offensive coordinator situations in the NFL. 

there was also a tweet but I couldn’t figure out how to turn it back into a link and copy it from my phone. No biggie though. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Not ready. How often has it been the case that a new coordinator has success, only to fall back to earth after teams adapt to their tendencies?

I will say that Dorsey was a cancer. Promoting him to OC almost destroyed this team.

With that perspective,  Brady is doing a great job so far. 

Dorsey was a rolodex coordinator. He didn't have any strategy. Brady is definitely more of a strategist. And he knows how to use Cook. Let's get all the RBs involved!

2 hours ago, In Summary said:

What Brady is doing with the backs and Cook is fantastic.  Very entertaining. If you never got to see and appreciate Thurman, Cook gives you a taste. So frustrating to see Beane get this talent and then not use it earlier in the year. 

Not sure about the comparison to a HoF player. But yes, Thurman was an elite pass catcher in his time. If Cook can get going even more this team will win more games no doubt.

I’d guess a lot of hires in the NFL, especially those closest to the coordinator are with the thought of eventual elevation via the coordinator moving on to a HC position or a firing.  Seems like Brady was in that position here.

Unless he craps the bed, I’d consider him the next full time OC. The hiring of Mangas points that way.  Especially if he has the backing of Josh.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Joe might be a hot commodity after Bills win the Super Bowl

If they win he absolutely would be. We were in the basement it felt like until he came in. Then all the sudden Allen looks like Allen again. He will get a lot of credit if that happened 

18 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

I mean Josh had Gabe running wide open for the go ahead TD and he just completely didn't even see him. Not everything is Brady. 

Not everything, but after a well called game in the first half it went south in the second. Their defense adjusted and the Bills offense, for the most part, didn't.

Still no idea where Cook disappeared to.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

Not everything, but after a well called game in the first half it went south in the second. Their defense adjusted and the Bills offense, for the most part, didn't.

Still no idea where Cook disappeared to.

I will pardon Brady somewhat because I thought our WRs and our OL were both dreadful in this game. It's tough to do anything on offense when you're up against that kind of vulnerability. I agree that his biggest failing was abandoning the run game and passes to Cook in the 2nd half. I don't really understand what he was thinking there but hopefully he learned something.

9 hours ago, Pete said:

Joe might be a hot commodity after Bills win the Super Bowl

5 hours ago, mrags said:

If they win he absolutely would be. We were in the basement it felt like until he came in. Then all the sudden Allen looks like Allen again. He will get a lot of credit if that happened 

Plus he has at least 3 head coaching interviews before so its not like he wasn't already on the radar.

Watching the Chiefs game back, the play calling around the two minute warning was abysmal. No runs? Why the pass to Diggs at 2:12, which put the offense behind the chains? Cook had got two four yard plays at the start of the series and then disappeared again. They gave the ball back to the Chiefs with 1:54 remaining despite having 1st & 10 at the KC 22 at 2:12. It was dreadful.

• Agree 1

On 12/11/2023 at 2:24 PM, mrags said:

He will be the OC going forward next year. Bank it. 

Well it would be stupid to replace him when this team runs the gamet and wins their first Lombardi.  And any Bills fan will know it is because we have Josh Allen, but you get a guy that gets Josh and Co to string together a win streak that gets the trophy you don't make a change.  You give him a new contract and pay as a top OC deserves.

Edited by AuntieEm

Kurt Warner was in the school of It-Was-the-QB's-Fault-Not-the-OC's.  

Kurt knows 13,487 times more about football than I do.  But I think he may have been wrong on this point.  

So fun to see our offense evolve into something more than Allen-to-Diggs with Allen expected to perform heroics for us to win.  

Discovering and unleashing a running game should make life easier for Allen going forward.  

• Like (+1) 1

As of this moment, yes I am. 

I mean, not even as OC, I think my wife will understand that we are now part of a polyamorous group that involves someone neither of us personally knows.

Bluntly, re: the Cowboy game, running full speed at the Cowboys knowing that we can exploit a weakness and daring them to stop us is something we have seen opposing OC's do to the Bills too many times. 

It was running the ball with a lead, at home, in miserable weather which is situational football 101 where everyone knew it was coming and Brady still made it work.

I hope we let it play out and hire the best option available. If its Brady vs a similar entity then Brady has the advantage of being in the building. If you have the chance to upgrade the you have to consider that as well, maybe it means Brady stays to be groomer further for the job in a few years, maybe it means he leaves. 

• 2 weeks later...

Right now no.  I think a lot depends on how far we go in the playoffs.  I think he’s been far more efficient than Dorsey and got rid of some of his stupidity.  But for as much energy as he brought to the position during the change it seems to be fading

As for this patriots game it’s not just Brady though.  Players are not executing.  But also haven’t been in love with some of his play designs depending on down and distances 

Edited by Chugga

54 minutes ago, Chugga said:

Right now no.  I think a lot depends on how far we go in the playoffs.  I think he’s been far more efficient than Dorsey and got rid of some of his stupidity.  But for as much energy as he brought to the position during the change it seems to be fading

As for this patriots game it’s not just Brady though.  Players are not executing.  But also haven’t been in love with some of his play designs depending on down and distances 

We aren’t in yet.  Bills can still lose this game and I don’t see the Dolphins game being a sure win by any means 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.