Patty is not happy... Boo Hoo!

Huh? What?

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Wow just wow.  It's the easiest call to make in the NFL.  There is no grey area. Spoiled brat.

I don't even think thats for Offside.  I could be wrong but I think those checks are just at the end of line to make sure they have the right amount of players on and off the line of scrimmage.  It's not actually for Offside.

It is. My nephew plays HS football and checks with the refs on every play to make sure he's onsides, lined up correctly. It's basic football.

3 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

So Pat thinks the refs should warn them not to break the rules or let it go & ignore the rule? Seriously? How is he not getting blasted by the media for being a poor sport cry baby?

He is getting blasted on twitter at least.   Kermit memes all over the place 😂

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I love the condescending pat on his chest from Josh as he biatched about the call 😆

I was going to mention that.  I said earlier that I wish Josh has told him to pound sand, but I missed that pat to the chest at that time and that pretty much was the same thing.

Hopefully Mahomes and Reid wake up today and are embarrassed by their tirades. 
It was embarrassing. Chiefs fans should be embarrassed by the actions of these two #######s. 
Two guys acting like they’re used to getting calls their way. Which is the case, IMO. 

Edited by Dopey
  • Like (+1) 1

It's so crazy that one of the things he went off on is that Kelce made such a cool play that now might not be part of the highlight reel for his HOF career - like that was justification to not call it.  Forget also the actual reality/logistics that the flag is thrown at the start of the play, so in this case the refs are supposed to gather after the play, discuss, then get on the PA "After further discussion there is no flag on the play because "Cool Play Bro!" - so bizarre

And then he actually says this - which is exactly the point - even elementary school players know to check with the ref.  Toney did not do this. 

“Offensive Offside. Like I said in elementary school we talk about you line up, you point to the ref, you’re good, you’re not good"

Him and Reid doubling down on offside is never called, and players get warnings - you only get a warning if you check first.  All they are doing is furthering the case that their player screwed up.  The reason it is called so infrequently is because almost all the time the receiver lines up properly to begin with or checks with the official.

I think generally Mahomes has been a decent guy, but this whole episode really puts him in a different light of someone who has enjoed the benefits of things going his way for most of his career, and now when some things don't go his way he becomes unhinged and starts blaming everyone else.  Not a great look

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

I was going to mention that.  I said earlier that I wish Josh has told him to pound sand, but I missed that pat to the chest at that time and that pretty much was the same thing.

It was the polite version of "cool story bro".

Because Josh knows nothing of heartbreaking losses and plays called back by dumb penalties.

I also think that there is something that bears repeating: this isn't a binary of "Refs made a call Bills win, no call Chiefs win". This isn't the Bills having 12 men on the field so Denver gets another kick or the Eagles fumbling in overtime and the turnover is called back or the game would be over.

Let's say, hypothetically, that the play stands as called and is a touchdown. The Bills are now in 4 down territory with all timeouts. It's not a sure thing at all.

And it's not as if the Chiefs suddenly had no chance. They had two more plays to get a first down and all the time in the world. And it's maddening to see the discussion seemingly be "oh the refs decided the game again"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

My favorite part about the “let us play” comment? Not only did Toney line up Offside, he also had a pretty blatant pick several yards downfield that could have been called. THAT would have been a tough call, but the right one.

quite frankly, the Chiefs play right on the edge of the rules when it comes to illegal contact. If the refs didn’t let them play, they could have had 30 penalties last night.

• Like (+1) 1

Thankfully Josh has never acted like Patty did last night on the sidelines. I get it, you’re annoyed a call didn’t go your way and possibly lost you the game…

Seen it be that way for Josh and the gang countless times. Never seen that reaction. Several posters have mentioned entitlement about his post game comments… Couldn’t agree more.

What class from a guy who’s done it all in a short span. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Can't wait to see the next State Farm commercial - accidental death insurance from drowning in MAtears.

It wasn't even a questionable call that could have gone either way.  His WR CLEARLY lined up offside.

Edited by Nuncha
  • Haha (+1) 1

That blue line is for the defense in the neutral zone.  The blue line for the offense would be on the other side of the football where the centers head is.  There’s basically a foot/foot-and-a-half no man’s land where the ball is.  Toney was at least a full foot Offside.  The side ref that threw the flag couldn’t even see the ball because toney was so Offside.  

1 hour ago, Metal Man said:

Did Patty forget that even if that TD had counted the Bills still would have had over a minute left in the game with 3 timeouts to take back the lead?

It's dissing the Bills O IMO, like saying we can score in 13 seconds but a minute and 3 time outs for you - game is already over

What a bunch of brats they are.   They actually said that normally refs tell them they are Offside….ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?    So they admit to getting help?

They don’t like that rule?   I don’t like 12 men on the field rule…how about that?    That’s just as dumb as being Offside….an infinitesimally stupid error for this team as was 12 men on the field.    You lost!   Suck it up butter cup.   

hahahah.  Bunch of brats.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

It was the polite version of "cool story bro".

Because Josh knows nothing of heartbreaking losses and plays called back by dumb penalties.

I also think that there is something that bears repeating: this isn't a binary of "Refs made a call Bills win, no call Chiefs win". This isn't the Bills having 12 men on the field so Denver gets another kick or the Eagles fumbling in overtime and the turnover is called back or the game would be over.

Let's say, hypothetically, that the play stands as called and is a touchdown. The Bills are now in 4 down territory with all timeouts. It's not a sure thing at all.

And it's not as if the Chiefs suddenly had no chance. They had two more plays to get a first down and all the time in the world. And it's maddening to see the discussion seemingly be "oh the refs decided the game again"

Very clearly put.

And absolutely correct

This was not a "walk off win" penalty.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

Seriously, how lucky are we to have Josh?  How many times has he had to swallow a close loss where he was the only thing even keeping us in the game, and then later approach the media and hold himself accountable?

Yes, Mahomes has the rings.  He also happened to find himself in a beyond perfect scenario for a young QB with Reid, Kelce and Tyreek Hill.  This year we're finding out what happens when there's some adversity and he's showing his ass in public.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyBuffalo said:

What a bunch of brats they are.   They actually said that normally refs tell them they are Offside….ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?    So they admit to getting help?

They don’t like that rule?   I don’t like 12 men on the field rule…how about that?    That’s just as dumb as being Offside….an infinitesimally stupid error for this team as was 12 men on the field.    You lost!   Suck it up butter cup.   

If you’ve been playing organised football for years and are now a professional athlete getting paid to do so, the simplest rule of the game for your position shouldn’t need a “warning”. 

Only players who ever should be offside is a defender at the LOS. 

1 minute ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Seriously, how lucky are we to have Josh?  How many times has he had to swallow a close loss where he was the only thing even keeping us in the game, and then later approach the media and hold himself accountable?

Yes, Mahomes has the rings.  He also happened to find himself in a beyond perfect scenario for a young QB with Reid, Kelce and Tyreek Hill.  This year we're finding out what happens when there's some adversity and he's showing his ass in public.

That’s testament to the hardship he’s had to endure without immediate success and winning…

Even then I don’t think Josh has that meltdown if he landed in the Chiefs and Andy Reid’s system…

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, JohnnyBuffalo said:

It is normal and quite common that if the WR look to the ref for confirmation that they are lined up OK and the ref signals "you're good", it won't be called even if on film it can be seen they're a bit off.

This isn't KC, this is every team.  Every WR

There was a controversial play a while back - I *think* it might have been the Eagles win over the Pats in 2017 ..... there was a play on which the Eagles WR was probably lined up slightly off-sides and Patriots fans were livid it hadn't been called and all over "poor us, uncalled penalty cost us the game", but it could clearly be seen that the Eagles WR had looked to the ref on his side and been given "you're good", so no penalty was called and "too bad, so sad" for the Pats.

The key is, the WR has to ask, usually by looking at the ref and sometimes making a questioning hand gesture and the ref nods or thumbs-up them.

There's no expectation at all that the ref will trot over and tap Mr. Mahomes on the shoulder and say "Excuse me Mr Mahomes Sir but one of your skill players is positioned inappropriately, Sir"

5 minutes ago, BBFL said:

If you’ve been playing organised football for years and are now a professional athlete getting paid to do so, the simplest rule of the game for your position shouldn’t need a “warning”.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's a fact that WR do look to the refs and the refs will give them input if they look.  I haven't heard it called a "warning" before

Edited by Beck Water

13 minutes ago, JohnnyBuffalo said:

Awesome example. It’s not like the 12th guy affected the play. 
Bunch of babies. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, JohnnyBuffalo said:

I don’t care I like mahomes (has in fantasy his breakout year won me a bunch of a money). But this was very Brady sore loser vibes. If it was reversed, we’d hate the call too. But they looked like children.

he should have been yelling at Toney, who might be the dumbest player in the nfl.

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It is normal and quite common that if the WR look to the ref for confirmation that they are lined up OK and the ref signals "you're good", it won't be called even if on film it can be seen they're a bit off.

There was a controversial play a while back - I *think* it might have been the Eagles win over the Pats in 2017 ..... there was a play on which the Eagles WR was probably lined up slightly off-sides and Patriots fans were livid it hadn't been called and all over "poor us, uncalled penalty cost us the game", but it could clearly be seen that the Eagles WR had looked to the ref on his side and been given "you're good", so no penalty was called and "too bad, so sad" for the Pats.

The key is, the WR has to ask, usually by looking at the ref and sometimes making a questioning hand gesture and the ref nods or thumbs-up them.

There's no expectation at all that the ref will trot over and tap Mr. Mahomes on the shoulder and say "Excuse me Mr Mahomes Sir but one of your skill players is positioned inappropriately, Sir"

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's a fact that WR do look to the refs and the refs will give them input if they look.  I haven't heard it called a "warning" before

Great point. Maybe Toney didn’t do his due diligence then?

Either way, you can’t play/do a job for millions of dollars and be taught something that should be second nature. I mean, you’re always looking in-field as a downfield target so you have to know you’re lined up incorrectly. 

Edited by BBFL

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I have been part of a collegiate game that the WR close to the near side ref gestures to him “I’m good?…ref says yep!”    And then play goes off and the far side ref calls him offside…guess what?    Call stood.  That’s it.   If that had taken place I would so agree with these brats.   But he was Offside!    How can you say anything else?   

I am so happy for the Bills and we fans.    We deserved one of those games against a team like that.   Keep crying punk!

Love it!   Go Bills!

2 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Either way, you can’t play do a job for millions of dollars and be taught something that should be second nature. I mean, you’re always looking in-field as a downfield target. 

Uh yeah! Dude has been a big,whipping boy clown with the dropsies this year. He ain’t getting any Jerry Rice breaks for being incompetent.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyBuffalo said:

I have been part of a collegiate game that the WR close to the near side ref gestures to him “I’m good?…ref says yep!”    And then play goes off and the far side ref calls him offside…guess what?    Call stood.  That’s it.   If that had taken place I would so agree with these brats.   But he was Offside!    How can you say anything else?   

I am so happy for the Bills and we fans.    We deserved one of those games against a team like that.   Keep crying punk!

Love it!   Go Bills!

Yeah, what you've seen does happen, too, but more often than not the WR would be good.

My point was, you've seen and I've seen the WR gesturing and getting feedback from the ref, not just in Chiefs games but in any game, and much more often than not it stands (though one zebra usually isn't going to fight his colleague zebra if it's called anyway)

We both agree that's not what happened here, we don't see Toney looking to the ref and getting the "yep" and Toney was clearly and objectively off-sides, so Cry Me a River Paddy.

Edited by Beck Water

This whole discussion about the ref giving a warning normally applies when a WR is lined up wide, and far away from the football.  You know, where it might be difficult to tell if you were lined up a little Offside.  Toney was 6 feet from the ball and staring right at it.  The fact that both Mahomes and Reid are acting like this was a borderline call is laughable and embarrassing.  They deserve all of the ridicule that is coming their way.  The only thing missing from their tantrum is a demand to speak to the manager.

Edited by HereComesTheReignAgain
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Yeah, what you've seen does happen, too, but more often than not the WR would be good.

My point was, you've seen and I've seen the WR gesturing and getting feedback from the ref, not just in Chiefs games but in any game, and much more often than not it stands (though one zebra usually isn't going to fight his colleague zebra if it's called anyway)

We both agree that's not what happened here, we don't see Toney looking to the ref and getting the "yep" so Cry Me a River Paddy.

I was actually agreeing with your point.  Think we are on same page.    If Toney had asked and the ref answered and the call happened then yeah I would say that’s awful regardless of who it’s called on.   

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BBFL said:

As far as I've been able to tell, No, he did Not.  And I believe Cheffers said something about that.  (this may have been linked up thread)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-referee-explains-offside-call-on-kadarius-toney-that-outraged-chiefs-after-loss-to-bills/ar-AA1liRbV

"It's one of those things we don't want to be overly technical on, but when his alignment he's lined up over the ball, that's something that we are going to call as offensive offside," Cheffers said of the call. "So that's what the down judge saw. He saw that the alignment was over the ball and that's what he ruled on the field. That's what he called."

Indeed, as Cheffers detailed, Toney was lined up beyond the back of the ball. That, by definition, requires officials to call an offensive offside, as was noted by former referee turned CBS rules analyst Gene Steratore, among others.

So while the Chiefs believed the call to be controversial, it was handled correctly. Toney had simply made a big mistake at the worst possible time.

Additionally, Cheffers explained that players are allowed to check with an official whether they are offside before the play. That gives them a chance to realign to avoid being penalized. Toney didn't do that before the game-changing call, and he wasn't close to being onside either.

"Ultimately, if they look for alignment advice, certainly we are going to give it to them. But ultimately, they are responsible for wherever they line up," Cheffers said. "And, certainly, no warning is required, especially if they are lined up so far Offside where they're actually blocking our view of the ball. So, we would give them some sort of a warning if it was anywhere close, but this particular one is beyond a warning."

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.