Bills @ Chiefs Postgame Thread

Simon

15 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

Say what you want about McDermott or Allen, but I  have never seen them play the full blown victim card and blame the refs in the same way that Mahomes and Reid have over the past 24 hours.   I didn't see Mahomes or Reid complaining after the Jets and Vikings games.   Even Brady and Belichick knew better than to bite the hand that feeds them in the few cases where a ref call didn't go their way.

The part where Reid said "I don't know, I wasn't out there with my protractor" grated me. You're the coach, if the dummy you run out there doesn't line up correctly and doesn't check with the ref, then it's the ref's fault and not yours? That's everything Dunne slagged McDermott for being Mister Blameshifter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This may have already been posted.

It shows how far Offside Toney was much better than the screenshot with the deceiving blue line.

how spoiled are Mahomes + Reid that they think this call should have just been overlooked?

offensive Offside has been called a lot more frequently this season (I think this was the 12th time)

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, RunTheBall said:

I think forcing KC to use their timeouts was the original plan, but instead of running into a loaded box Brady called the screen to Diggs thinking that’s completed 99% of the time. Even if he doesn’t get many yards we get to the 2 minute warning. Say he caught the ball and got a few yards, we get to the 2 minute warning. We then run twice into stacked boxes and run what, 10 seconds off the clock before kicking the FG? (Assuming we don’t get the first). KC still would have gotten the ball with say 1:30 and no timeouts. We know that’s plenty of time for KC to get at least a FG.

Once Diggs dropped (AGAIN!) that 99% completed pass, I think using time strategy went out the window and Brady was going for the TD. I’d have liked 3 straight runs against a bad run D but Brady was outcoached by Spags in the second half and got away from the run.

On the Toney flag play, Taylor was lined up 2 yards off the line of scrimmage. His helmet isn’t even in line with the centers feet, it was an illegal formation all day. I can’t for the life of me figure out why the NFL allows that guy to get away with that and false starting every single play. It’s mind boggling.

Great W. Hope Brady learned something because he got schooled by Spags in the second half. Getting away from Cook and Kincaid while Josh was getting jail breaked every play was concerning.  I’m concerned about Diggs, something is up besides him being taken out of the game by solid corners. 

Mahomes rightfully is getting destroyed over his post game reaction to Josh. What a sore loser. I actually think Mahomes is a good dude but that display of poor sportsmanship was downright awful. I think KC an Mahomes did a lot of damage to their brand with their post game reactions when it was obvious it was the right call.

Yeah thats basically the only thing that makes sense to me.  Brady has been pretty solid up to this game.  KC defense is no joke.  My disappointment really is that Brady seemed to have no answer for that pressure.  No small feat but we pulled it out anyhow so I'm not going to complain too much.  His first half was on fire until the end of half.  We will need better O next week though.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

Why didn't the Bills kill some clock on their final drive that ultimately ended in a FG?  That was weird.  They need to look at that.  I know the Bills wanted the "kill shot" because all KC needs is 13 seconds... but still, this wasn't the same KC offense as the past.

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The funny thing is, while there are missed calls and questionable calls every game, this was neither.

It was not a judgement call where one ref sees DPI and another sees mutual hand-fighting.  It was not a bang-bang play where one ref sees late hit/unnecessary roughness against Mahomes while the rest of us see a clean hit by Owens in-bounds as Mahomes was fighting for the 1st down marker.  It was not a missed face mask or horse collar tackle that was partly hidden from the ref's view in real time by 300 lb 6'6" behemoths throwing themselves at each other.

This was an objective rule easily verified on still film just before the ball is snapped.  There is no question at all it was a penalty, and it was properly flagged at the snap, before any glorious play.

Yeah, Mahomes and Reid should be fined for it.  They should also be embarrassed by calling out the refs instead of their own freakin' player

I was personally afraid they would go back and pick up the flag.  Say something like it was inconsequential to the play. 

That is what seemed to happen in New England - remember the illegal man downfield flag, oops never mind, although the replay showed it did occur, it seemed to be deemed to have no affect on the play.  It was a big gainer for New England but on the sideline and the illegal man down field didn't have anything to do with the play.  Obviously that one still burns me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

The part where Reid said "I don't know, I wasn't out there with my protractor" grated me. You're the coach, if the dummy you run out there doesn't line up correctly and doesn't check with the ref, then it's the ref's fault and not yours? That's everything Dunne slagged McDermott for being Mister Blameshifter.

You could see he was Offside from the Goodyear blimp…not sure a protractor was required lol 

11 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

It shows how far Offside Toney was much better than the screenshot with the deceiving blue line.

how spoiled are Mahomes + Reid that they think this call should have just been overlooked?

offensive Offside has been called a lot more frequently this season (I think this was the 12th time)

this is actually incorrect.

see below which is more accurate.

37 minutes ago, boyst said:

For those that did not see the play - this is the picture pre-snap. Clearly, Offside.

Edited by boyst
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Why didn't the Bills kill some clock on their final drive that ultimately ended in a FG?  That was weird.  They need to look at that.  I know the Bills wanted the "kill shot" because all KC needs is 13 seconds... but still, this wasn't the same KC offense as the past.

I'm not going to complain that McD is too conservative, especially at the end of games, and then complain when they were going for a TD.

• Like (+1) 1

I expect Mahomes to apologize publicly today to try to mitigate impacts.  What a dumb move from him to just lose it.  If I'm the Patriots, I'm taking every extra shot/hit/smack on Mahomes as I can next week to try to force the ref's hand a bit.

This is Mahomes worst year in his career, looks completely frustrated

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

From ESPN:

In a pool report, referee Carl Cheffers said down judge Mike Carr saw Toney lined up offside.

"Ultimately, they are responsible for wherever they line up,'' Cheffers said. "No warning is required, especially if they are lined up so far Offside where they're actually blocking our view of the ball.

"We would give them a warning if it was anywhere close, but this particular one is beyond a warning.''

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

I know this photoshop but its a good overhead shot.  Lost in this is McD wasn't playing that crappy 20 yards off the ball *****. Maybe he did learn.

Minus a fluke mistake by a WR, not sure McD has figured anything out on late-game defense with the results of that play. But sure, I can appreciate they arent just giving them the underneath. Although letting Kelce run free deep might be showing us WHY they line up off the ball.

37 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

Even Brady and Belichick knew better than to bite the hand that feeds them in the few cases where a ref call didn't go their way.

A friend txted me the same thing this AM and my response was the Cheater-era Patriots never had a controversial call that didn't go their way (only half kidding)

It would be glorious if this situation with Reid/Mahomes so publically having tantrums to try to embarrass the refs will in any way affect the refs deciding maybe they won't be quite as generous to Patrick/Chiefs in the future - esp if some of the shine is coming off the golden boy/franchise.  A man can dream anyway

Edited by stevewin
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I was personally afraid they would go back and pick up the flag.  Say something like it was inconsequential to the play. 

That is what seemed to happen in New England - remember the illegal man downfield flag, oops never mind, although the replay showed it did occur, it seemed to be deemed to have no affect on the play.  It was a big gainer for New England but on the sideline and the illegal man down field didn't have anything to do with the play.  Obviously that one still burns me.

I guess it is a valid point that in the past, some NFL refs have inappropriately picked up flags to favor "star power".

But it's a very entitled argument for Mahomes and Reid to expect that privilege to be extended to them, and frankly, I'm with you - I thought that was horrid when it happened.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Minus a fluke mistake by a WR, not sure McD has figured anything out on late-game defense with the results of that play. But sure, I can appreciate they arent just giving them the underneath. Although letting Kelce run free deep might be showing us WHY they line up off the ball.

Kelce was running free because of the Toney pick…that’s probably opi honestly on that play 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, stevewin said:

A friend txted me the same thing this AM and my response was the Cheater-era Patriots never had a controversial call that didn't go their way (only half kidding)

It would be glorious if this situation with Reid/Mahomes so publically having tantrums to try to embarrass the refs will in any way affect the refs deciding maybe they won't be quite as generous to Patrick/Chiefs in the future - esp if some of the shine is coming off the golden boy/franchise.  A man can dream anyway

I think it may very well already be happening.  They went off on the refs last week in Green Bay too.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Don't discount the pick getting Kelce open

23 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Dude is lined up a full two yards ahead of the RT lol.

17 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

In this case the guy who lined up offside was literally the same guy who set the pick, caught the lateral, and "scored."  There is no way people can say that was inconsequential.

Edited by BRH
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He wasn’t open due to pressing or not, he was open because the dialed up pressure with extra guys attacking did not get to the QB. 

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Dude is lined up a full two yards ahead of the RT lol.

Remember, this is the same team whose RT false started virtually every pass play in week 1. I think it's fair to say that alignment has been discussed in meetings and that the team is ok with pushing the boundaries of legality. The RT is lined up in the backfield on that play as well, and is basically always. Uncalled.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

To Mahomes and Reid - IF YOURE SO GREAT, THEN SCORE ON 3RD OR 4TH DOWN AND OVERCOME ADVERSITY

They actually had 2nd down as well.  It was 2nd and 15.  They had 3 plays to get 15 yards.  If they even gotten 5 they could have tried a FG to tie.

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I agree the play was bad but penalties count.  How many times have we got screwed at the end of games by penalties or non calls whether we are trying for a game winning drive or stopping one.  They count.  The Bills still stopped them on 3 tries after that.

What I was getting at is normally they are in soft zone crap and playing 10 yards+ off the ball.  They actually played the WRs yesterday instead of that.  I have to give credit when I feel its deserved.  The D played well.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

Remember, this is the same team whose RT false started virtually every pass play in week 1. I think it's fair to say that alignment has been discussed in meetings and that the team is ok with pushing the boundaries of legality 

It's almost like they thought it would look more like a straight line to the refs if Toney lined up a yard ahead of the ball and the RT lined up a yard behind it.  A little trick of perspective.  Problem is, there are actually yard lines and *****.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.