Bills @ Chiefs Postgame Thread

Simon

9 minutes ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

True but this is the problem with NFL. There are terrible calls every week that go against teams. Sometimes it evens out, and sometimes it doesn't. For the team who gets screwed, they complain. But for the team who benefits from a bogus call, they keep their mouths shut. They are thinking "we have had so many bogus calls go against us, it's about time we got a lucky break."

Not saying that's the case this week. Dude was clearly offside and it was the right call.

But, last week, there was an egregious NO CALL against the Packers that cost KC the game.

Not only that, but there have been multiple games this year that were decided not by the players, but by the officials and their terrible calls. I agree with the spirit of what Mahomes is saying, even if it's not applicable to this case.

The bottom line is that the NFL officiating is a total disaster and needs to be overhauled and reimagined from the ground up. It's disgraceful.

I understand what you’re saying but mahomes tried to justify his meltdown over an obvious and indisputable penalty by saying judgement calls by refs are ruining the game.  We all know judgement calls have swung games in the final moments but this was not that at all 

It’s really not much different than Toney running the wrong route or dropping a wide open td then turning around and blaming the refs 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Also, please no more "Trade Josh Allen" threads. There was a throw, where Josh did a fade away going out of bounds completion, to Latavius Murray. The only other QB who can do that is Tragic Mahomes.

So please. Enough.

Anyone wanting to trade Josh Allen is either a moron or a troll. Don't even take those posts seriously.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

True but this is the problem with NFL. There are terrible calls every week that go against teams. Sometimes it evens out, and sometimes it doesn't. For the team who gets screwed, they complain. But for the team who benefits from a bogus call, they keep their mouths shut. They are thinking "we have had so many bogus calls go against us, it's about time we got a lucky break."

Not saying that's the case this week. Dude was clearly offside and it was the right call.

But, last week, there was an egregious NO CALL against the Packers that cost KC the game.

Not only that, but there have been multiple games this year that were decided not by the players, but by the officials and their terrible calls. I agree with the spirit of what Mahomes is saying, even if it's not applicable to this case.

The bottom line is that the NFL officiating is a total disaster and needs to be overhauled and reimagined from the ground up. It's disgraceful.

Refs need to be full time and there needs to be more of them. They need to study films on teams and their mistakes during the week. 

I also think the rule book needs to be less complicated, like with what constitutes a catch or holding. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Anyone got an explanation for the post-penalty time rules in this game?  1st half, KC is driving on us near the 2 minute warning- I want the Bills to have as much time left as possible if/when KC scores.  KC commits a penalty at about 2:19 left, but the refs start the clock up after the penalty and we hit 2minutes with no play run

1st & 10 at BUF 38  12 Yard Pass

(3:00) (No Huddle, Shotgun) P.Mahomes pass short middle to T.Kelce to BUF 26 for 12 yards (Ta.Johnson; J.Poyer).

1st & 10 at BUF 26  -10 Yard Penalty

(2:23) (No Huddle, Shotgun) J.McKinnon right end to BUF 19 for 7 yards (G.Rousseau). PENALTY on KC-C.Humphrey, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at BUF 26 - No Play.

1st & 20 at BUF 36  -5 Yard Penalty

(2:00) (Shotgun) PENALTY on KC-J.Taylor, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at BUF 36 - No Play.

1st & 25 at BUF 41  17 Yard Pass

(2:00) (Shotgun) P.Mahomes pass short left to R.Rice to BUF 24 for 17 yards (T.Bernard).

So we went to the 2 minute warning from 2:23 after a penalty with no play, but a penalty at the 2 minute mark stopped the clock entirely. 

Then the second half, and I want that clock running, forcing the Chiefs to call timeouts, but the clock stops this time and we run a (crappy) play with 2:12 left on the clock- 

3rd & 10 at KC 27  5 Yard Penalty

(2:17) (Shotgun) J.Allen sacked at KC 31 for -4 yards (G.Karlaftis). PENALTY on KC-Ja.Watson, Illegal Contact, 5 yards, enforced at KC 27 - No Play.

1st & 10 at KC 22  Pass Incomplete

(2:12) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete short left to S.Diggs.

2nd & 10 at KC 22  Pass Incomplete

(2:10) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete deep right to S.Diggs (L.Sneed). KC-Ja.Watson was injured during the play.

3rd & 10 at KC 22  1 Yard Pass

(2:06) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short left to D.Kincaid to KC 21 for 1 yard (L.Sneed) [M.Danna].

4th & 9 at KC 21  Field Goal

(1:57) T.Bass 39 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-R.Ferguson, Holder-S.Martin.

I know the NFL keeps torturing the former long-standing clock rules so they can subtly cram in as much advertising as possible, but this is just f***d up. 

Any KC peep bitching about getting ***** over by the refs is just being a Mahomes.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Refs need to be full time and there needs to be more of them. They need to study films on teams and their mistakes during the week. 

I also think the rule book needs to be less complicated, like with what constitutes a catch or holding. 

I don't personally care about full-time refs, and I'd probably make a case for the opposite.  But I do think the fill-ins were more even in the way they officiated.  Once the regulars came back from their 'mistreatment' strike, we went back to the same old teams getting the same old favoritism.  It's not like the consistency of calls got any better.  

I remember the NFL media machine claims that people were 'outraged' by the scabs calling games, but I thought it finally felt honest, if still flawed.  Were any of you 'outraged' by the fill-in refs a few years back?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Seemed like the bills went back to a lot of 12 with Knox back in the lineup.

I hope they go back to 11 with more Shakir.

Josh is straight up a better QB with spread 11, vs 12 personnel condensed 

QB play was certainly hectic in the second half. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I understand what you’re saying but mahomes tried to justify his meltdown over an obvious and indisputable penalty by saying judgement calls by refs are ruining the game.  We all know judgement calls have swung games in the final moments but this was not that at all 

It’s really not much different than Toney running the wrong route or dropping a wide open td then turning around and blaming the refs 

I agree. Actually, it's a separate point that the officiating has sucked this year league wide. It would be nice if the players addressed it not during the heat of the moment. Maybe the NFLPA should make some demands for changes to how the NFL does its officiating business. It's disgraceful.

But I just saw the clip of Mahomes in the post-game hug with Allen bitching to Allen about the call. I agree he's being [fill in the blank] in that moment. Maybe he's mad he's not getting the Swift [fill in the blank]

40 minutes ago, Mango said:

That was an intense second half - great game!  Not totally sure which play it was, but I think it was the 1 yard pass to Kincaid before the last FG- Allen's head went L-R-L-R-L-R-L-R-L-R-L, like 50 times in 1 second... like a Hanna Barbara cartoon without the wacky sound effects.  Pretty sure he completed some crazy throw, though.  

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

I don't personally care about full-time refs, and I'd probably make a case for the opposite.  But I do think the fill-ins were more even in the way they officiated.  Once the regulars came back from their 'mistreatment' strike, we went back to the same old teams getting the same old favoritism.  It's not like the consistency of calls got any better.  

I remember the NFL media machine claims that people were 'outraged' by the scabs calling games, but I thought it finally felt honest, if still flawed.  Were any of you 'outraged' by the fill-in refs a few years back?

The replacement officials were better than the current officials because they only called what they saw, much less made up calls. The "worst" call of the replacement officials was the "fail Mary" which would not be a top ten bad call against the Bills this year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You know... the more I see of these post game pressers by Reid and Mahomes, the angrier I get.

How dare they!

Getting up there like they're a common victim, talking about "this isnt good for the NFL" and "another week talking about the refs".

Mother ***** YOU are the one talking about the refs! And the basic rules ARE good for the NFL!

I know everyone hates the officiating in the NFL, and rightfully so. But that doesnt mean you get to complain about a correct call. By a MILE!

p49cuml7bk5c1.jpeg?width=810&auto=webp&s

I don't remember the Bills going out and ripping the refs when the Chiefs jobbed them. Fans, sure, that's what fans do .

But the one time they get a call right, and it's blatantly obvious, now is the time to cry? Because you lost two in a row? That you might have to play a playoff game on the road? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

Oh I think few people will disagree that reffing is broken and needs to be burnt to the ground. Somehow the USFL and XFL can make games happen and still be transparent. This year it's been bad. 

But the Chiefs response comes off as whining because all through the year they got lucky calls. Even last week the "no call" came after a questionable Roughing the Passer. It's them suddenly waking up to the problem after the refs actually got one right after screwing the Bills out of ten seconds at the end of the half, Kelce catch, gifting KC a sack on Josh that the rules didn't apply to Patty, Sneed playing real close to what we get flagged for PI.

It didn't even cost them the game. The score would have given the Bills the chance to win it with 3 time out and 80 seconds. They had two more downs. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I don't remember the Bills going out and ripping the refs when the Chiefs jobbed them. Fans, sure, that's what fans do .

But the one time they get a call right, and it's blatantly obvious, now is the time to cry? Because you lost two in a row? That you might have to play a playoff game on the road? 

It's the Chiefs' punk-ass B word version of 'Salute to Military' - just line up in whatever formation you want and have a tantrum about the outcome.  That Mahomes clan....

5 hours ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Also, please no more "Trade Josh Allen" threads. There was a throw, where Josh did a fade away going out of bounds completion, to Latavius Murray. The only other QB who can do that is Tragic Mahomes.

So please. Enough.

No one in those right mind would advocate trading Allen. 

2 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Nevertheless, there will always be subjectivity. This will always lead to controversy and mistakes. It's an imperfect system. I'm not sure more refs solves anything. 

Maybe someone in the press should ask both Reid and Mahomes who this compares to the very questionable holding call on Philly late in the Super Bowl that gave them that game. Very little contact and they called it,  this was clear as day that Toney had his foot pass the line of scrimmage and they called it.  

11 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

No doubt I'll get hammered for this take but....

1. O-line got mauled.

2. D-line fell off the cliff again in the second half. Zero sacks.

3. Receivers MIA.

Pyrrhic victory. We're not threatening the top teams with this level of play.

We just beat a top team who happens to be the Super Bowl champions, led by Mahomes, in KC and them coming off a loss in which they’ve never lost back to back games with Mahomes at the helm.   What are you talking about? 

1 hour ago, Mango said:

For sure. I was wondering from an Xs and Os standpoint what happened. The Bills O looked pretty good in the first half. Mixing up the run and pass. Making lots of plays. The oline held up pretty well. 

In the second half, Allen was under constant duress. The Bills seemed out of sync and in scramble mode. Cook seemed to disappear and I remember lots of WR screens that were ineffective. The Bills WRs were almost non existent. 

I would welcome input. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Maybe someone in the press should ask both Reid and Mahomes who this compares to the very questionable holding call on Philly late in the Super Bowl that gave them that game. Very little contact and they called it,  this was clear as day that Toney had his foot pass the line of scrimmage and they called it.  

lol yesterday the calls went in the Bills favor. I do believe they were due for some ref love?  I mean they saw a half a foot off side but missed half of Avon Millers body being offside on 4th and 15.  That is how it goes sometimes you get the calls others you don’t. 

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

We just beat a top team who happens to be the Super Bowl champions, led by Mahomes, in KC and them coming off a loss in which they’ve never lost back to back games with Mahomes at the helm.   What are you talking about? 

I can see it both ways here. The Bills certainly don't look like the dominant team of the past. However, they are dangerous and capable of going on a huge run. Hope it's not too late. I'm happy next week is a meaningful game. 

The AFC seems more wide open then ever. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, newcam2012 said:

For sure. I was wondering from an Xs and Os standpoint what happened. The Bills O looked pretty good in the first half. Mixing up the run and pass. Making lots of plays. The oline held up pretty well. 

In the second half, Allen was under constant duress. The Bills seemed out of sync and in scramble mode. Cook seemed to disappear and I remember lots of WR screens that were ineffective. The Bills WRs were almost non existent. 

I would welcome input. 

Spagnuolo adjusted.  His adjustments were more effective than Brady’s. 

That said, I never felt like KC was dictating the game on either end in the way that we did in the first half.  If this game was in Buffalo, we blow their doors off. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

lol yesterday the calls went in the Bills favor. I do believe they were due for some ref love?  I mean they saw a half a foot off side but missed half of Avon Millers body being offside on 4th and 15.  That is how it goes sometimes you get the calls others you don’t. 

Miller wasn’t Offside, stop falling for the crybaby whataboutism from chiefs fans. the blue line isn’t official. the angle exaggerated his position and that snap was after the ball was snapped. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, BRH said:

Spagnuolo adjusted.  His adjustments were more effective than Brady’s. 

That said, I never felt like KC was dictating the game on either end in the way that we did in the first half.  If this game was in Buffalo, we blow their doors off. 

Perhaps. I did feel like the Chiefs D was dictating and manhandling the Bills O in the second half. It seemed like the Bills O had little to counter the Chiefs adjustments. I saw Allen with his cape on that was the difference maker. 

• Like (+1) 1

Ugly boy Dunne and his hit piece days ago and McDermotts D responds with a phenomenal performance in Arrowhead..

Apparently a bunch of players held a meeting telling McD they love him and got his back etc.. 

And 40 actually had an impact, idk if he had any sacks but he def had some pressures. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As a McD detractor who doesnt want him as our HC, I say "Good for McD tonight".

He may be a bad communicator, and socially awkward, and lacking skills to be successful in situational football, but he doesnt deserve to be the butt of a national joke, or considered a terrorist sympathizer.

That said, he's lucky that Toney is such a ***** up because this was a CLASSIC MCD game: jump out to a lead with a hot O. Get conservative. Let them back in. "Keep it close". Then lose it on the last possession.

100% i am glad we won because he doesn't deserve the treatment he got.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

His entire body was covering and over the ball.  

8 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Seemed like the bills went back to a lot of 12 with Knox back in the lineup.

I hope they go back to 11 with more Shakir.

Josh is straight up a better QB with spread 11, vs 12 personnel condensed 

There has be to a happy medium. I saw Kincaid on the outside one play, maybe we can do more of that.

30 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I would welcome input. 

we didn't run enough in 2nd half. Close game, no need to throw 40 times

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I worry about our 2 min defense still. Minus that offside penalty, that Kelce lateral would've counted. Sure, maybe Allen leads a td drive and we still win, but still worries me

I hear you and this is valid. However, I'm not even going here right now. For me, it was all about getting a win and keeping the playoffs hopes alive. 

Despite everything, this is a great win for the Bills. Truthfully, I didn't expect a win pre game or as it was playing out. Happy to be wrong. 

Bottom line is the team is still alive and has another huge game and challenge vs Dallas. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I worry about our 2 min defense still. Minus that offside penalty, that Kelce lateral would've counted. Sure, maybe Allen leads a td drive and we still win, but still worries me

I kinda feel the same but then I say to myself "on the other hand, penalties are part of the game."  It's not like penalties have not cost us on a game winning drive or game ending drive before.  They still had a 2nd and 15 so 3 shots get get 15 yards. If they would have even gotten 5 yards they probably could have tried a FG kick to tie.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.