Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So there's a difference between stating what happened, and criticizing decisions, and "attacking someone's character".

Let's look at the truck story that was just posted above:

"Chad Hall played wide receiver, was much closer in age and — clearly — has a gift for managing egos in his room. The Bills receivers loved Hall so much that they bought him a truck for Christmas in 2020. An objectively touching moment that Isaiah McKenzie shared via Instagram. In the dark, in the rain, you see Stefon Diggs and Andre Roberts lead Hall out to the driveway with a beanie over the coach’s eyes. On the audio, Cole Beasley says that this was originally Gabe Davis’ idea and that they all chipped in. It's impossible for any sane person to watch this heartwarming video and not feel happy for Hall."

OK, stop right here.  When I watched that video, not long after the Titans debacle where they got together outside the facility to practice and Denver being forced to play without a QB - my primary emotion was TERROR.  I thought the league would see that video and come down on the Bills like a load of bricks.  Then I switched to hoping it would be too bad PR for the league to object to a feel-good moment.  Question my sanity if you will. ( Pretty sure I got receipts of this too)

"Obviously, this coach had made a profound impact on those receivers’ lives — why anyone gets into coaching in the first place.

But Sean McDermott? Oh boy. Sean McDermott was not pleased. One source described this as “a dark day at One Bills Drive.” Not only was the head coach pissed that players were gathering as a group during Covid, McDermott told his staff he pays them to be a coach. Not a friend. Other coaches could not believe his cold response. They had never seen anything like this in their careers."

So far we're pretty much at stating what happened and criticizing decisions.  The receivers bought Hall a truck, and McDermott was critical because 1) the players were gathering as a group at Hall's house, during Covid - contrary to league rules that other teams had been penalized for 2) he stated that he pays his staff to be a coach, not a friend (and by inference, felt that inspiring the receivers to purchase a truck for him indicated Hall was too much of a friend to the WR group)

But  here: "He’s insecure. He wants the relationship that he can’t have with the players. Because he’s not physically, mentally, or socially able to.”

Can we agree that's going beyond "what happened" or even criticizing McDermott's response as insensitive to Hall and to his assistants, into pretty much an attack - "he's physically, mentally, or socially" unable to have a relationship with the players?

Again, the fact is that it's a fine line, when you're supervising someone - you want to be friendly and show that you care about them as people, but at the same time, if you get too far into being friends, you make it difficult to get on their case if you need to.  How can you bust the chops of a WR for making sloppy cuts, not playing physical against press man, or not using proper hands technique when catching, when he bought you a ***** TRUCK for Christmas?  In theory you can, but in practice, will you?

Is it within the guidelines to type up a summary of this article?

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

I just finished reading all three parts.  McDermott needs to go.  Don't let my $8 be spent in vain, Terry!

Can you write a detailed summary here?

27 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The pale, stupefied, knockoff version who trudges to the sideline after an interception vs. Denver with McDermott screaming in his ear.

Unlike his boss, Allen does not come remotely close to assigning blame. Doesn’t embarrass receivers on national TV. Doesn’t snipe into earholes on the sidelines.

Oh one time when Allen threw another horrid INT his coach yelled a little bit? HORRORS!!!!!

The only HC Im familiar with who does this sort of thing regularly is the man most people here have a man-crush on and would like to see replace McDermott....Brian Daboll. That guy waves his arms and rolls his eyes more than a bobblehead doll. 

Edited by RkFast

7 hours ago, 4th&long said:

I laugh at the one sided hit job. First there was some positive in there on him. And if macdermott gave him something positive to talk about maybe he would have. But that is not macdermotts personality. The guy is a narcissist control freak. That is what the article is about. This team is tanking and it shouldn’t be. This is a big reason why it is. Dunn laid that out for us. This team is tighter than a nuns wowo and it it’s a reflection of the head coach.

I don’t know, we live in a new world today. 

6 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Would you agree that the Chad Hall story was the worst of McDermott? 

I would not.

If true, the part where McD instructed an assistant coach to reprimand a player and then undermined that coach to win favor with that player was the worst thing I read. That and blaming other coaches or players for losses.  

In one section McD was apparently pissed that Josh was focused on having his new home built and said he should be focusing on football.  The house is Brittany's problem.  I wonder if this is news to Josh.  McD apparently has no relationship with the offensive players and focuses on his baby the defense.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, RkFast said:

Oh one time when Allen threw another horrid INT his coach yelled a little bit? HORRORS!!!!!

The only HC Im familiar with who does this sort of thing regularly is the man most people here have a man-crush on and would like to see replace McDermott....Brian Daboll. That guy waves his arms and rolls his eyes more than a bobblehead doll. 

Know the player and how to react.  I guess with Dorsey in the Pressbox it was McDermott's responsibility to scream at his "Franchise" QB?  

I thought the Offense was Dorsey's responsibility?

I bet McD was screaming at him for not playing "Complementary Football" and putting "his" defense back on the field.🤣 

Lots of back and forth, here.   Here’s what I’ll be watching.    Motivation is something we talk about without a lot of precision.   I think all players find motivation differently.   Frankly, I think players are almost all motivated almost all of the time.   They’re playing for themselves as well as the team.   Teams are composite competitors with individual contracts, bonuses, recognition, free agency goals, etc.  With that, we now have 53 players whose coach was just embarrassed league wide.  Do they show up in KC knowing there’s blood in the water with a coach they’d like to move on from, or do they show up with the same coach and want to retain him?  I’d love to see the Bills perform like “he’s our guy” and have something to prove.

2 minutes ago, Neo said:

Lots of back and forth, here.   Here’s what I’ll be watching.    Motivation is something we talk about without a lot of precision.   I think all players find motivation differently.   Frankly, I think players are almost all motivated almost all of the time.   They’re playing for themselves as well as the team.   Teams are composite competitors with individual contracts, bonuses, recognition, free agency goals, etc.  With that, we now have 53 players whose coach was just embarrassed league wide.  Do they show up in KC knowing there’s blood in the water with a coach they’d like to move on from, or do they show up with the same coach and want to retain him?  I’d love to see the Bills perform like “he’s our guy” and have something to prove.

Perform because you are embarrassed that you are 6-6 and are better then that and you still owe KC.  I certainly if the Bills win, won't think they "Did it for McD".

I am sure he has some loyal supporters who will think that way, but I'm sure it is not unanimous.

• Agree 2

So McDermott is a "narcissist control freak" you say?

Literally every football coach from little girl's flag teams through high school, college and the NFL is a "narcissist control freak." 

The classmate from 1986 that your friends picked to "coach" your annual Thanksgiving morning football game at your old high high school is a "narcissist control freak."

In my experience with youth sports and of course from my school days and what I see out there in our society and culture, EVERY SINGLE COACH IN EVERY SINGLE SPORT ON THE PLANET IS A "NARCISSIST CONTROL FREAK." To one degree or another.

Try again.

Edited by RkFast

1 minute ago, RkFast said:

So McDermott is a "narcissist control freak" you say?

Literally every football coach from little girl's flag teams through high school, college and the NFL is a "narcissist control freak." 

Try again.

Yeah but the difference is guys like Belichik and Reid have multiple superbowl appearances and rings to back it up.

That's what people still don't get about McDummy...his crowing achievement is reaching one single conference championship game in the weird Covid year and getting curb stomped despite taking an early 10-0 lead in that game.

7 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I would not.

If true, the part where McD instructed an assistant coach to reprimand a player and then undermined that coach to win favor with that player was the worst thing I read. That and blaming other coaches or players for losses.  

In one section McD was apparently pissed that Josh was focused on having his new home built and said he should be focusing on football.  The house is Brittany's problem.  I wonder if this is news to Josh.  McD apparently has no relationship with the offensive players and focuses on his baby the defense.

Thanks for the response. 

I said it - not shocking - this sounds just like Rex Ryan in the book Collision Low Crossers, and all the references to Buddy Ryan in Chicago and Philadelphia. 

Rex dropped into the offensive room to make some jokes and make a fool of himself. 

https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/adam-schefter-ty-dunne-sean-mcdermott-9-11.html

Dunne’s past NFL work includes national NFL features for Bleacher Report from 2016-2020, including a deeply sourced 2019 piece on the Aaron Rodgers-Mike McCarthy relationship that drew Rodgers’ ire as a “smear attack.” (Rodgers was a media antagonist long before vaccine conversations.) He was one of many B/R employees laid off in the summer of 2020 around COVID-19 cuts, the winding down of B/R Mag, and their whole features division. :lol:

3 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Yeah but the difference is guys like Belichik and Reid have multiple superbowl appearances and rings to back it up.

That's what people still don't get about McDummy...his crowing achievement is reaching one single conference championship game in the weird Covid year and getting curb stomped despite taking an early 10-0 lead in that game.

You DO realize Andy Reid was McDermott before McDermott was McDermott, right? Belichick was fired from Cleveland. 

Edited by RkFast
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

I don't care if you read the article or not.  What I care about is people posting false information.  You cannot speak on an article that you didn't read and spout stuff out there that is factually incorrect.  There were more than just 2 people and it doesn't matter that some remain anonymous.  They remain anonymous because if could affect their jobs.  People have a right to do so.  Its very common in the media.

and yes, there were a bunch of positive comments.  Thats kinda the point.  People think its entirely one sided when it isn't.  Not everything said was bad.  You want to make up ***** about his article that you didn't even read and believe what you want to believe just because you are a McD homer.

What exactly was the point he was trying to make by dredging up a non-issue incident from 4 years ago? It was to make McD look bad, as was the purpose of the whole article. Yes, it was a poor choice of an analogy but a stretch to use as an example of poor comunication. Dunne's intent was apparent and it clearly got the reaction he was hoping for. 

Edited by BuffaloMatt
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

What exactly was the point he was trying to make by dredging up a non-issue incident from 4 years ago? It was to make McD look bad, as was the purpose of the whole article. Yes, it was a pooor choice of an analogy but a stretch to use an example of poor comunication. Dunne's intent was apparent and it clearly got the reaction he was hoping for. 

The point was in part to show the mentality and thought process of McD.  It was a very small part of the article.  Since you didn't read it, thats about all you can focus on.  Which goes back to my point, if you haven't read the article there is no point of you running around trying to discredit everything.

At this point, I am pretty much done talking to you.  All you are trying to do is discredit something you haven't read to stick up for some dude you don't even know.  It's pointless discussing it with you.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

The point was in part to show the mentality and thought process of McD.  It was a very small part of the article.  Since you didn't read it, thats about all you can focus on.  Which goes back to my point, if you haven't read the article there is no point of you running around trying to discredit everything.

At this point, I am pretty much done talking to you.  All you are trying to do is discredit something you haven't read to stick up for some dude you don't even know.  It's pointless discussing it with you.

I read it. I used an example to show the pettiness of the author. Say hello to Dunne for me.

• Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

What I found shocking was about a month ago- 80% wanted McMediocre fired.  That was before 20 second castration and Dunne’s article.  If it was 80% a month ago, it has to be over 90% now. Do you hear us knocking?  No more cowardly football!

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

So Dunne's story is absolute truth and Hyde's comments to the contrary are garbage because he has a motivation to be complimentary?  And Dunne is devoid of personal motivations?  

My post did NOT say whether Dunne's story was absolute truth or false.

Aside from being a writer, any other reason if any, why Dunne wrote that article is only speculation.

It points out that Hyde is an employee under McDermott, who NEEDS McDermott to okay to bring him back next year under another contract.

Would anyone think a negative comment from Hyde would sit well with McDermott?  Anyone?

Edited by beer can shower
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, RkFast said:

You DO realize Andy Reid was McDermott before McDermott was McDermott, right? Belichick was fired from Cleveland. 

People keep saying this but Andy Reid also went to something like 5 straight NFCCG with the Eagles and had one SB appearance in a game they could have won against the Patriots if a few bounces of the ball go differently before his second stint with the Chiefs.

Belichik was also a very accomplished DC under Parcells and won multiple SB's there including against us in the infamous wide right game.

I may be one of McD biggest critics, but if he had led this team to even one SB (loss) he'd definitely get the benefit of the doubt from most.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

27 minutes ago, RkFast said:

Even before he went to KC, Reid won a hell of a lot more than McDermott has.  He reached four straight NFC Championship games.  And he was eventually fired, despite a level of success far exceeding McDermott's, after which Philly finally got "over the hump".  

Edited by mannc
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, RkFast said:

Maybe Belichick & Reid being fired was the catalyst to make them & decide to make the necessary changes in their coaching to take the next step in their next coaching gig.

This is where I think McD is now. He clearly coaches scared, lacks aggressiveness, and struggles to close-out games. If he stays in Buffalo another year, he will have learned nothing from all of his mistakes & continue coaching the same way he always has. If he gets canned, maybe, just maybe, he'll be forced to re-evaluate what he needs to do to be a better coach for his next team.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, RkFast said:

Andy Reid was called the worst game day coach in the NFL before he met Mahomes.  4 straight NFC Championship games, 1 win, zero super bowl victories.

Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning were both on the chopping block. Coughlin was a relic and too demanding for the modern NFL and Eli was a sad pick throwing donkey.  Then they backed into a wild card spot and won a super bowl after an 8-8 season.  Suddenly Eli's don't give a ***** demeanor was ice water in his veins, never rattled and Coughlin was an old school leader of men.

Winning changes narratives quickly. I hope McD rattles off some wins and suddenly his Al Qaeda speech is some Phil Jackson zen magic a few years later. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Man with No Name said:

being good in your first major public speaking appearance is not the same thing effectively planning and calling a football game. 

Yeah like that's the only time he hasn't sounded like and behaved like an idiot. :lol:    Do you follow the NFL?   It's Howie Roseman's show.   He's put dominant lines and great playmakers around a determined QB who they are willing to use like he's disposable..........that's why they are good.   He doesn't have a Belichick or even a Mike McDaniels in his division.........his biggest nemesis in division is Mike McCarthy who wouldn't have a HC'ing job at all if Jerry Jones just didn't need a puppet of his own.   They are not where they are because of Nick Sirianni.  

6 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Andy Reid was called the worst game day coach in the NFL before he met Mahomes.  4 straight NFC Championship games, 1 win, zero super bowl victories.

Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning were both on the chopping block. Coughlin was a relic and too demanding for the modern NFL and Eli was a sad pick throwing donkey.  Then they backed into a wild card spot and won a super bowl after an 8-8 season.  Suddenly Eli's don't give a ***** demeanor was ice water in his veins, never rattled and Coughlin was an old school leader of men.

Winning changes narratives quickly. I hope McD rattles off some wins and suddenly his Al Qaeda speech is some Phil Jackson zen magic a few years later. 

While I'm not convinced McDermott should stay, this is very well said. I still think if McDermott can't show us something the rest of the way, time to move on and thank him for what he's done to turn the franchise around.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

So Dunne's story is absolute truth and Hyde's comments to the contrary are garbage because he has a motivation to be complimentary?  And Dunne is devoid of personal motivations?  

really tough to diss your HC live during the season.

the only thing he could say is he loves McClappy

36 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Wait a minute isn’t done using a bunch of anonymous sources

Just because there are speckles of truth in a story doesn’t make the story true

11 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I think you accidentally summarize the issue I have McD. Andy Reid was considered a terrible game manager before he met Patrick Mahomes. McD already has Josh Allen, where is there to go from here? Andy Reid went to a Super Bowl with Donovan McNabb. McD is getting nowhere with Josh Allen. Andy Reid may be overrated for all I know, but it’s the QB who took him places. If one believes McD can evolve like Reid, Allen must not be the QB I think he is. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

This will get devalued because its Jerry, but in this case I believe him.

As it should!!! And don't believe Jerry he is just upset that he couldn't conjure up his own hit piece, now he is bootstrapping. 

6 minutes ago, chongli said:

Jerry just submitted his resume to Dunne.

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.