Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

Me, trying to figure out if Josina Anderson’s cryptic tweet was about McDermott and this nuclear bomb of an article or Lamar Jackson mysteriously missing practice today with an illness designation (or literally anything else)

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

I agree.

As suggested elsewhere here, Pegula needs to do his due diligence and ferret out the truth.  If he has lost the team, then he has to go.  If he’s a national embarrassment, he most likely will go.  If the fans turn on him, tough sell for him to be back.  

No way you can spin this into something less damaging, especially the 9/11 story.  I can’t see him coming back.  The question is, if Pegula is of the opinion he has lost the team and the fans, does he immediately fire him or wait?  I’d image he’d wait.

The 9/11 anecdote will pass.  Give it a week and people will be talking about something else, whatever it might be.  Don’t forget, at one point our owner was accused of making a pretty incendiary racial comment.  Nobody has brought that up in awhile. 

The bigger issue is whether, 9/11 and Niagara Falls malapropisms aside, McD has lost/exhausted the locker room.  If the answer to that question is yes, then it’s time to either change the players or change the coach.  

4 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

You almost have to wait minus a huge uproar. 

He’s the DC AND HC, so you have to fill those 2 spots and the 2 spots of the coaches you move. 

You could make Washington or Babich the interim HC and the other the interim DC, so Brady can keep developing as OC.

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

So how do you explain the massive difference in scoring production from our first four weeks and since then?  

It can't be the competition, the caliber of defenses in Dorsey's next 6 games before being fired was poor, not a team currently ranked in the top-10, four of six ranked 20th or worse.  The "blueprint" as you put it was out from last season, not new for this one.  

What's your explanation?  

Dude, I can’t keep explaining this to you.  All you’re doing to everyone is ignoring info answering your question and then asking the same question.  This question has been answered multiple times now.  

But it’s a waste of time to discuss further because you’re never going to accept any answer that doesn’t directly blame McD for everything.  

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that a certain number of points on record was a fact.  

My bad.  

Things are clearing up as to our differences of opinion.  :D 

So having said all of that, Dorsey's entirely at fault, McD bears only a modicum token of responsibility, and McD's responsible for how good Allen is?  

Is that how we all should read that?  

Again, I've never defended Dorsey, I have no idea why you're on my pant-leg about that.  Let go already.  

LOL 

Not even remotely what I said.  But ok.  

• Eyeroll 1

With all of the information coming from anonymous sources, there is no way to determine how much is true (maybe all, maybe none).  Or if this comes from coaches/players still on the team, or from people who were fired or cut.

I also don't find these details to be as damning as many people are going to claim.

For example, the part about Ken Dorsey.... I mean, when a team is underperforming, it's almost always a coordinator that is first to the chopping block.  And Sean McDermott can't exactly fire himself.  The decision to get rid of Dorsey was the right one.  Sure it wasn't the best timing, considering the Denver game was blown by the defense and a special teams penalty.  But the offense had been struggling for well over a month, and wasn't showing signs of turning it around.  Something needed to be done to save the season.

I'm also shrugging my shoulders about the stuff criticizing McDermott's personality and coaching style.  None of that matters if the team is winning.  Bill Belichick is a dictator in a hooded sweatshirt.  When the Patriots were winning Super Bowls, the "Patriot Way' was considered the best example of how to run a franchise.  Now that Tom Brady's retired and the team sucks, he's a hardass that nobody wants to play for.  Meanwhile, our previous coach (Rex Ryan) was a friendly and charismatic player's coach... and he got criticized for not being structured, organized and enough like Belichick.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

People on twitter seem bothered by his statement about newton ruining the panthers... 

Is he wrong?  

Yes lol. That team ran almost 100% on Newton. Did he fade fast? Yes, but the run they had was him. McD might be one of the most overrated DCs in history. He put together one of the all time worst defenses in Philly and was mediocre at best in Carolina with a very good line and HoF MLB. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Does anyone have more info from behind the paywall

Not paying 8 dollars to read an article - you can buy books for that and it's a total hit piece.

The top thing is the 9/11 one.  

There's a thing about him being pissed about the WRs buying the coach a car and not wanting him to be friends with players.  When Brad pitt says in a movie you shouldn't be friends with the players because you need to be able to cut them - its a good point - but when mcdermott relays the same message, he's a tight ass.  

Something about him disliking cam newton and blaming him for ruining the panthers.  Not wrong IMO - Cam's a selfish dude and made that team about him.  Teams win, not players. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, mjt328 said:

With all of the information coming from anonymous sources, there is no way to determine how much is true (maybe all, maybe none).  Or if this comes from coaches/players still on the team, or from people who were fired or cut.

I also don't find these details to be as damning as many people are going to claim.

For example, the part about Ken Dorsey.... I mean, when a team is underperforming, it's almost always a coordinator that is first to the chopping block.  And Sean McDermott can't exactly fire himself.  The decision to get rid of Dorsey was the right one.  Sure it wasn't the best timing, considering the Denver game was blown by the defense and a special teams penalty.  But the offense had been struggling for well over a month, and wasn't showing signs of turning it around.  Something needed to be done to save the season.

I'm also shrugging my shoulders about the stuff criticizing McDermott's personality and coaching style.  None of that matters if the team is winning.  Bill Belichick is a dictator in a hooded sweatshirt.  When the Patriots were winning Super Bowls, the "Patriot Way' was considered the best example of how to run a franchise.  Now that Tom Brady's retired and the team sucks, he's a hardass that nobody wants to play for.  Meanwhile, our previous coach (Rex Ryan) was a friendly and charismatic player's coach... and he got criticized for not being structured, organized and enough like Belichick.

No way for most of us to determine whether it’s true.  The Pegulas, however, can conduct such things as exit interviews and get people to talk. 

16 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

This is just piling on. But Florio also has an ax to grind with Bills and McDermott. I'm sure why.

I completely disagree. I am a huge reader of Florio's work and I have never seen Florio be anything but kind about the Bills. He tells it like it is, but he never bashes Buffalo. He routinely talks about how great Josh Allen is and his co-host, Chris Simms, is an unabashed Josh Allen fanatic. 

Florio does have some click-baity moments, but he is overall, in my personal opinion, the best NFL reporter.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Me, trying to figure out if Josina Anderson’s cryptic tweet was about McDermott and this nuclear bomb of an article or Lamar Jackson mysteriously missing practice today with an illness designation (or literally anything else)

She sucks, just ignore her. 

1 minute ago, dwight in philly said:

Again.. its just me.. dont care.. carry on 

It's fine not to care of course. I'm just saying, it's not just a reporter saying bad things.

It's a lot of former players and coaches.

And McD confirmed today that at least one big story from the story is true.

I find what was written very credible, even if not provable. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Not paying 8 dollars to read an article - you can buy books for that and it's a total hit piece.

The top thing is the 9/11 one.  

There's a thing about him being pissed about the WRs buying the coach a car and not wanting him to be friends with players.  When Brad pitt says in a movie you shouldn't be friends with the players because you need to be able to cut them - its a good point - but when mcdermott relays the same message, he's a tight ass.  

Something about him disliking cam newton and blaming him for ruining the panthers.  Not wrong IMO - Cam's a selfish dude and made that team about him.  Teams win, not players. 

McD is totally right about the friends part.  However, if he saw where Chad lived (think Paulie Walnuts) and compared that to his own home (think Tony Soprano), then maybe he would have been a little gentler about it. 

Just now, Mikie2times said:

I'm trying to understand what is more bizarre. A guy accidently landing on an example about 9/11 being good team work or a guy intentionally landing on 9/11 being a good example about team work. 

It just makes me think the guy is low IQ and has a direct correlation to him masterminding 13 seconds. Thinking on his feet is not his strength. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Ray Stonada said:

I don’t think one stupid anecdote is a fireable offense, and I firmly believe that part will blow over, but one has to be pretty exhausted/dumb/social moron to think using the work of the terrorists who conducted the 9/11 attacks as an aspirational or motivational device is a remotely acceptable thing.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

McD apologizing for the 9/11 comments kinda gives validity to the other claims made in the article. 

Man this is a terrible look for the team and might be the thing that forces Pegula’s hand at the end of the season, especially if we miss the playoffs. 

Somewhere right now Don Granato is relieved to see some of the spotlight is off of him and how bad the Sabres are. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

The odd thing is that he's not wrong! It's genuinely amazing what they pulled off (through teamwork and careful, deliberate planning, TBH), although it was of course diabolical. What the Japanese pulled off between December 1941 and April 1942 was amazing too given the geographical scope and geopolitical complexity, but again the goals were bad. I guess the lesson is to never bring up well-conceived plans that succeed beyond all ambition if they're crafted by the bad guys. 

So amazing that it is very likely not true

Can't disagree with this:

"The coach’s “blame game” extends to players. Running back James Cook, who entered the Broncos loss with zero fumbles on 160 touches, was swiftly ushered into the coach’s doghouse after one fumble that was the result of an exceptional strip by the defender. Not a gaffe. Treating his starting running back like a 10th grade point guard who turns the ball over against a full-court press is the sort of Cro-Magnon coaching that’s become the norm in Orchard Park."

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, QCity said:

It really is. I mean, I get what McD is trying to convey but this is pure Michael Scott.

When people bring up his record being good it's akin to everyone at Dunder Miflin being perplexed that the Scranton office turned a profit.

• Like (+1) 2

this is redic. look im ready to move on from mcd, but this whole 9/11 thing who caresssssssssssss

he misspoke while talking on the fly, and obv wasnt praising hijackers. yall have never said anything dumb while trying to make a point?

DONT SAY YOU HAVENT, BC I READ DUMB S*** ALL DAY ON HERE

fire him for the momentum cooling off. but to assasinate the mans character like this actually makes me sick

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

Yes lol. That team ran almost 100% on Newton. Did he fade fast? Yes, but the run they had was him. McD might be one of the most overrated DCs in history. He put together one of the all time worst defenses in Philly and was mediocre at best in Carolina with a very good line and HoF MLB. 

To me he always came off as a really selfish player.  You can have them, but they shouldn't be the face of your franchise or your QB for that matter.  Not good for the locker room, the meetings etc.  

Just now, Ray Stonada said:

Can't disagree with this:

"The coach’s “blame game” extends to players. Running back James Cook, who entered the Broncos loss with zero fumbles on 160 touches, was swiftly ushered into the coach’s doghouse after one fumble that was the result of an exceptional strip by the defender. Not a gaffe. Treating his starting running back like a 10th grade point guard who turns the ball over against a full-court press is the sort of Cro-Magnon coaching that’s become the norm in Orchard Park."

Or maybe cook fumbles or drops balls alot in practices and is warned he'll get benched if he does it in games. We don't know, we're not in the building 

For any posters still struggling with what's wrong with McD--his off the wall citation of the WTC terrorists as  paragons of teamwork and communication should convince even the most irrational homer that he is, intellectually, dull as a butter knife.

over and over--he's not smart en ought for this job.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.