Asked before...... But any "wow" catches this year by a Bills receiver???

Billsfan1972

Seem to ask this every year but we're 12 weeks into the season and I have yet to see a catch by Bill's receiver and go "wow".  Am I being too tough on the receiving Corps?

Maybe Diggs 1-2, but can't think of any.

Of course watching other teams' highlights, I seem to see them over and over again.

Conversely we see passes that Josh Allen makes and go "wow" but as said not seeing the same from a receiver making a play and bailing out the team

This could just be a Bills bias, so just wondering.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

None, not a one…, 

(sarcasm included)

Watching other teams highlight by nature will skew towards thinking highlights are more common elsewhere. 

We haven’t had a ton of acrobatic catches but I do think sometimes we take for granted that catching some of joshs lazers coming through crazy windows can still be extraordinary on the receivers part. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Watching other teams highlight by nature will skew towards thinking highlights are more common elsewhere. 

We haven’t had a ton of acrobatic catches but I do think sometimes we take for granted that catching some of joshs lazers coming through crazy windows can still be extraordinary on the receivers part. 

Yet we see them which is the point.  Now we're congratulationing receivees paid millions for catching Josh's hard tbrown balls?  Reallly????

• Like (+1) 1

The lack of W’s this season has brought out all types of highlight envy in Bills fans. Even at their best the past few seasons , I don’t think the Bills offense was known for “ wow catches”. Jump ball type passes aren’t a big part of what the Bills O has been. Anyway , I don’t need the offense to look a certain way as long as they score TD’s. They’ve done more of that lately but still haven’t notched the wins they did in the past. 

10 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The lack of W’s this season has brought out all types of highlight envy in Bills fans. Even at their best the past few seasons , I don’t think the Bills offense was known for “ wow catches”. Jump ball type passes aren’t a big part of what the Bills O has been. Anyway , I don’t need the offense to look a certain way as long as they score TD’s. They’ve done more of that lately but still haven’t notched the wins they did in the past. 

So another answer  NO, but a plethora of excuses.

Yes this is an issue, as are drops and running bad routes, not contestimg catches or drawing PI.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

36 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Seem to ask this every year but we're 12 weeks into the season and I have yet to see a catch by Bill's receiver and go "wow".  Am I being too tough on the receiving Corps?

Of course watching other teams' highlights, I seem to see them over and over again.

Conversely we see passes that Josh Allen makes and go "wow" but as said not seeing the same from a receiver making a play and bailing out the team

Kincaid along the sideline vs tampa. Hes also made 2-3 tough ones that Knox would drop -

low diving types. 

thats really it…. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

There have been a lot this year that I thought were both amazing throws and catches. 

Think in the game last week there were at least two. The TD and throw and catch to Diggs and another one on I think a third down near the right hash to I think Davis. 

No great "wow" passes.  It was right in Diggs hands.  The pass was out of this world good (like the Shakir 81 yd td).

32 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Ummm maybe some good catches but I can't recall any "wow" catches.  I would actually change that to bail outs.  I have not seen this team bail out their QB that I can remember.  Just about every other QB in the NFL has their receivers bail them out from time to time.  Whether that be with an amazing catch or a defended int other QBs have gotten bailed out.  Josh doesn't.

I will say that at least Josh has gotten good Oline play and some YAC this year. Not a ton of YAC but at least some from time to time.

• Agree 1

Was thinking that watching as Zaccheaus made the catch of his life. A couple weeks after Sutton did the same.  A few weeks Zay jones did the same.  Several weeks after Garrett Wilson did the same.  4 TD catches in 4 different games decided by less than a TD.  

and none of our pass catchers, except Diggs, have highlight TD catches. Crazy.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I don’t remember seeing any either. This must be the reason the team is underperforming at 6-6 right now! You solved the mystery. 

• Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

So another answer  NO, but a plethora of excuses.

Yes this is an issue, as are drops and running bad routes, not contestimg catches or drawing PI.

Excuses for what ? Not looking a certain way or making the highlight reels often enough?  You’re nuts, I simply stated that the Bills offense in recent years was never known for wow catches, just for scoring a lot of TDs. As long as they score often, I don’t care what it looks like. 

• Eyeroll 1

We’ve certainly seen a few Wow catches from our opponents.  They Eagles guy last weekend high pointing it in the back of the end zone in the rain comes to mind. and the Broncos WR miracle toe drag in the end zone on 4th and goal “hail mary” from Russell Wilson.

• Angry 1

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

There have been a lot this year that I thought were both amazing throws and catches. 

Think in the game last week there were at least two. The TD and throw and catch to Diggs and another one on I think a third down near the right hash to I think Davis. 

Yea that diggs catch was a tough one. 

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Doesn’t a “wow” catch typically mean the ball wasn’t super accurate and the receiver had to make some sprawling adjustment to catch it? 

I feel like having to do that isn’t what you’re going for. 

Not necessarily but usually. 

It isn't what you're going for but no QB is accurate all the time.  Not even Mahomes.  

Has it been mentioned any time recently that the Bills WR corps isn't very good?   🤔

But yeah, they particularly lack any truly dynamic athleticism at the position.

But to be fair,  when the Bills had Eric Moulds and Peerless Price those two guys were very good but did not have the ability to make incredible diving catches like guys like Terry Glenn or Shawn Jefferson("just give it to em') with the Patriots.    Sometimes you can have a very productive WR corps but not have that kind of acrobatic type talents.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

No. They drop anything that’s contested or tough. And yes watching other teams regularly you’ll see catches that make you think why can’t our guys do that?

And then people defend it saying "the defender hit him!". 

Well, yeah... the receiver is paid to catch the ball despite what the defense does. This isn't flag football.

• Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Excuses for what ? Not looking a certain way or making the highlight reels often enough?  You’re nuts, I simply stated that the Bills offense in recent years was never known for wow catches, just for scoring a lot of TDs. As long as they score often, I don’t care what it looks like. 

Again huh?  A great catch can be the difference between a win and a loss. All I ask is once or twice is that I can see a catch by a blBill's receiver and go wow.

Generally speaking we don’t really have those kinds of receivers. Diggs is really a master of the position, with fantastic technique and focus. But he’s not one of those athletic jumping freaks with huge range. Kincaid could surely pluck some crazy balls though if Josh throws it up that way. All that being said, I think Josh has worked like crazy in his offseasons to be able to place the ball right where it should be, and doesn’t seem like he attempts wild jump balls, which could be due to philosophy, the guys we have playing receiver, or both, 

Edited by CheshireCT

4 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

The guy who Beane brought in as a deep threat has done zero. Davis is the deep receiver and he should be a possession receiver. We never have deep completions. This makes us go the long field all the time .

Has Davis drawn a PI this year?  Watched Thursday's games and PI after PI and chunk yardage too.

19 minutes ago, CheshireCT said:

Generally speaking we don’t really have those kinds of receivers. Diggs is really a master of the position, with fantastic technique and focus. But he’s not one of those athletic jumping freaks with huge range. Kincaid could surely pluck some crazy balls though if Josh throws it up that way. All that being said, I think Josh has worked like crazy in his offseasons to be able to place the ball right where it should be, and doesn’t seem like he attempts wild jump balls, which could be due to philosophy, the guys we have playing receiver, or both, 

Still is it too much to  ask for a few a year and 1-2 big situations?

I'll say Diggs catch vs. Detroit Thanksgiving 2022 and holding on being clocked would count as the one I remember.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Has Davis drawn a PI this year?  Watched Thursday's games and PI after PI and chunk yardage too.

Still is it too much to  ask for a few a year and 1-2 big situations?

I'll say Diggs catch vs. Detroit Thanksgiving 2022 and holding on being clocked would count as the one I remember.

I suppose the question would be then, are there any “drops” you can think of that could have been spectacular catches? I mean as a fan they’re definitely fun to see. I was just saying that I don’t think those are really planned in this offense in terms of jump balls and the like,  but yeah it’s weird that there haven’t been any “incidental” wild catches lol.

6 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Trent Sherfield catches are Wow moments for me. 

Q Morris’ TD was awesome!

6 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yet we see them which is the point.  Now we're congratulationing receivees paid millions for catching Josh's hard tbrown balls?  Reallly????

no but clearly a fast ball that you have to reach for a little coming through a window where you may not have a clean look at the throw can be a more exceptional than one handing a lob 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.