Von Miller faces arrest in domestic violence case in Dallas

ArdmoreRyno

19 hours ago, PBF81 said:

IMO a full week off given the state of play of this team, yes, was too much.

They have months on end and tons of money to travel the world, after our season ends, which as a direct result of the state of play of this team will likely be in just over five weeks from now. 

Who cares what other teams do.  Do you?

Otherwise, sorry that you disagree with me.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This team desperately needs a week off from football. More than any team I can remember.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

That all depends on what the DA wants to do, if they can be bought, Von is fine, if they want to make an example of him, good luck!

Charges are very rarely brought when a victim backs out. Sadly its the reality in these situations. 

47 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Forums do a lot of thinking with their ***** when signings like this are made.  

His signing was an enormous risk to begin with, and the reason for Beane having to sign him was because at that time and after four of his drafts prior to that, he was unsuccessful at securing an impact edge-rusher for us.  

Anyone thinking that it was a stupid and far too risky signing was chastised, which supports your first statement replied to above.  

At the end of the day, Beane took an enormous risk to overcome his poor draft production.  He's getting quite a pass on that acquisition.  

Either way, that ridiculous risk has played out, and that was far from a reach in terms of occurring, between injury and age diminishment, and the performance part of that deal has not worked out, nearly at all except for 10 games.  

Given how much money he's gotten, that's an absurd amount of money per game.  

It's highly questionable as to why he deserved a week off.  

I largely agree with what you said but do have to defend the move by Beane.  Anytime you sign a player to a big contract, injuries are always a risk - whether young or old.   Look at Joe Burrow’s injury this season.  Just because he blew an ACL three years prior, doesn’t really mean it would happen again.  

The way the contract was structured, it was basically a 3-year contract and I feel that was reasonable.  They did have an overpay a little, but LAR and DAL were also in the mix to sign him to a similar contract.  So it was a deal somewhat close to his market value and was not an egregious contract.  

Now where I can agree with you is the need for Von in the first place.  Beane and McDermott consistently failed to find a difference maker as an edge rusher despite spending a time of money and draft resources.  

Trent Murphy was an absolute disaster.

Mario Addison was just a dude.

Quentin Jefferson was invisible.

Boogie Basham was a bust

AJ Epinesa and Greg Rousseau flashed but not enough as DE1

They failed at everything else, so they had to overpay for name brand and it worked for 10 games.   

But in this situation, they took a big swing and by happenstance it doesn’t look like it will work out.  I can’t really fault them though. 

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Apparently it is well documented that there have been MANY such instances between these 2 going back over a period of years.  It's a rather toxic relationship and these 2 probably should NOT be together.

Amazing a guy like Von could be this stupid.

Toxic relationships are addictive. 

Even for those who have money/means to get anyone they want. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I largely agree with what you said but do have to defend the move by Beane.  Anytime you sign a player to a big contract, injuries are always a risk - whether young or old.   Look at Joe Burrow’s injury this season.  Just because he blew an ACL three years prior, doesn’t really mean it would happen again.  

The way the contract was structured, it was basically a 3-year contract and I feel that was reasonable.  They did have an overpay a little, but LAR and DAL were also in the mix to sign him to a similar contract.  So it was a deal somewhat close to his market value and was not an egregious contract.  

Now where I can agree with you is the need for Von in the first place.  Beane and McDermott consistently failed to find a difference maker as an edge rusher despite spending a time of money and draft resources.  

Justin Jefferson was invisible.

Boogie Basham was a bust

They failed at everything else, so they had to overpay for name brand and it worked for 10 games.   

But in this situation, they took a big swing and by happenstance it doesn’t look like it will work out.  I can’t really fault them though. 

Yeah, we can discuss this until we're both exhausted.  LOL 

Here's the thing and probably the difference between where you and I stand.  

Miller was 33 at the time of the signing and a downturn in his play, to one or greater extent should have been fully anticipated going forward from the date of his signing, at 33.  

So yes, for a player that provided what he did in his season or two prior, it may have been a market-value contract, although I'll even disagree there, but given his inevitable age-diminishment that "market value" also diminishes with it.  It was extremely unlikely that even uninjured he'd have been as good this season as last, and next season it would have been remarkable if there hadn't been a noticeable downturn in his play, uninjured. 

Even for three years he'd have been guaranteed about $52M.  

At the end of the day it was a risky signing, once again one that was "necessary" because Beane failed to stock the team with an effective and cost-effective (aka drafted) Edge-rusher.  

The best teams out there find impact/elite talent via their drafts.  The only player we've done that with on Beane's watch prior to this, Beane's 6th, draft, is Allen.  And he's now in his Bookoo Bucks second contract.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

The way the contract was structured, it was basically a 3-year contract and I feel that was reasonable.  

Can someone explain this to me? I keep seeing people post that his contract is basically 3 years but then I look on sports sportstrac and they reference the below. It's not that I don't believe you I'm genuinely trying to get a handle on how screwed we are.

dead money 2024- 32m- cap savings 8.6m

dead money 2025- 15m -cap savings 8.4m

dead money 2026 -9m - cap savings  17m

dead money 2027 - 2.7m cap savings 30m

11 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Boogie Basham was a bust

Similar to what happened with Buddy Nix overpaying Mario Williams.

I looked up Basham season, thus far, he has done next to nada, no sacks, QB hits or TFLs.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Charges are very rarely brought when a victim backs out. Sadly its the reality in these situations. 

Yeah, BUT it’s Texas, so the DA makes the decision, not the victim.

6 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Can someone explain this to me? I keep seeing people post that his contract is basically 3 years but then I look on sports sportstrac and they reference the below. It's not that I don't believe you I'm genuinely trying to get a handle on how screwed we are.

dead money 2024- 32m- cap savings 8.6m

dead money 2025- 15m -cap savings 8.4m

dead money 2026 -9m - cap savings  17m

dead money 2027 - 2.7m cap savings 30m

Dead money is what his cap hit would be if he were cut in that season.  So if you bounce him in 2024, it costs is 32M

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Similar to what happened with Buddy Nix overpaying Mario Williams.

I looked up Basham season, thus far, he has done next to nada, no sacks, QB hits or TFLs.

Different situation… Mario Williams was very good for 2 seasons and played at an All-Pro level in 2014.  The Bills did overpay to get him in Buffalo but he played well.

Things went downhill after when Rex took over.  It wasn’t just the scheme change he fell off a cliff and was out of the league two years later.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Yeah, BUT it’s Texas, so the DA makes the decision, not the victim.

Dead money is what his cap hit would be if he were cut in that season.  So if you bounce him in 2024, it costs is 32M

Right and if you cut him in 2026 it's $9MM in dead cap space , so I fail to see how this is essentially a "3 year contract " when the contract started in 2022.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Who cares what other teams do?  I care.  You really do want to be the only team that practices on bye weeks.  The players fought hard in the last CBA to have practice and contact reduced, you know, especially since another game was added in the regular season the last few years.  But lets punish our players for being 6-6 and tell them they have to stay and practice on their bye week like their a 1980's high school football team.

Buffalo will surely be desired destination for decent FA's.  

BTW, somehow I don't see our players jumping ship to go to places like Arizona, Carolina, the NFCS in general, Chicago, Washington, the Jets, NE, Browns, Colts, Titans, and some other teams because they don't get a full week off, only an extended four-day weekend, on their bye week.  

If they do, meh, maybe they don't belong here.  

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Well yeah, I'm not for doing what Chicago, Carolina, Arizona and other losing teams are doing.  Teams that are playing better than we are playing better than we are.  

We can go back and forth on this, but no, I don't see any reason for a full week off.  It's beyond clear that team needs more time in film study, and/or someone to do a better job of leading that training.  They could have spent a couple of extra days doing this.  

It's not as if this is the '60s and these guys make what many readers do and have to get regular jobs in the offeasons.   They make quite often insane amounts of money, at worst incredibly handsome livings.  Gabe Davis makes about $1M/year plus incentives/accelerators.  How many posters here do you think make $1M+ per year?  And we're told he sucks and is one of the primary reasons for our underachievement.    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   ... and for anyone that actually believes that.  

I do know that I'd like to see us stop underachieving and being so inconsistent.  

Which team in the AFC has better talent than we do on offense?   

I don't see one, but help me out.  

If we weren't on par with teams like the Broncos (which we lost to), the Raiders, or Texans looking in, then maybe my perspective would be different.  

I'm grasping at why TF this team isn't 10-2 or even 11-1 given the gimme schedule that we've had for the most part, instead of 6-6 and hoping to run the table simply to secure the 7th seed.  

The guy who doesn't have any idea of the grueling demand of a season is telling us what is good for those players.  Refreshing.  "Even though I've never been through it, I know what is or isn't enough for these players."  Entitlement.

So basically every team in the playoff hunt should be practicing on their bye weeks.  Yet none of them do it.

Broncos are on a 5 game winning streak, sitting at 6-5.  Shouldn't they be practicing on bye weeks?  What about the Chiefs?  They are averaging 23 ppg on offense....now where near Super Bowl Championship level.  They must be content with how good on offense they have been this year.

The 60's, they played 12 games.  We now play 17.  They players travel more because there are more teams.

Players are bigger, stronger and faster....the impacts are greater.  

But I guess the argument is, if they make a lot of money, they don't deserve the max rest the the CBA fought for.  That's amazing to me.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

30 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Boogie Basham was a bust

Justin Jefferson?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

BTW, somehow I don't see our players jumping ship to go to places like Arizona, Carolina, the NFCS in general, Chicago, Washington, the Jets, NE, Browns, Colts, Titans, and some other teams because they don't get a full week off, only an extended four-day weekend, on their bye week.  

If they do, meh, maybe they don't belong here.  

Don't give me a cop out answer "I don't care what other teams do".

What's the reason that no team in the NFL practices on their off weeks?

Yeah these NFL softies don't belong here because 100% of them get a full bye week.  

Do you want to lose out on FA to the Chiefs, Bengals, 49ers and other contenders because you are making it very clear around the league that player health isn't the #1 concern?

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Forums do a lot of thinking with their ***** when signings like this are made.  

His signing was an enormous risk to begin with, and the reason for Beane having to sign him was because at that time and after four of his drafts prior to that, he was unsuccessful at securing an impact edge-rusher for us.  

Anyone thinking that it was a stupid and far too risky signing was chastised, which supports your first statement replied to above.  

At the end of the day, Beane took an enormous risk to overcome his poor draft production.  He's getting quite a pass on that acquisition.  

Either way, that ridiculous risk has played out, and that was far from a reach in terms of occurring, between injury and age diminishment, and the performance part of that deal has not worked out, nearly at all except for 10 games.  

Given how much money he's gotten, that's an absurd amount of money per game.  

It's highly questionable as to why he deserved a week off.  

oh great, you’re back.

• Haha (+1) 4

49 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

But considering the phrasing she used and the quick recanting, this situation seems just as plausible to be two toxic people who bring out the worst in each other as it is a guy who manipulates and controls his woman through fear and abuse. Gotta wait for more info and to see how it all plays out. 

I won't quote you fully but, ultimately, this is the place to be, at this moment imv.

[Side note, in case of haters: a few years ago, I took some a**hole down--with extreme prejudice--after I personally witnessed him punching a woman. Held him until LEO arrived]

This moment: the dynamics don't look good for VM...but we should wait until a fulsome, comprehensive, unfiltered understanding of events is available. We'll probably come short of that ideal, but the public is not close enough, yet.

Am I leaning towards the view that 40 is DV culpable? Yes, in my heart. But, rationally, we must await the full fact pattern, no matter how frustrating that may be.

Just a week ago, some reached a way-too-quick judgement on a weird event in NF. I counseled, at the time, to wait for facts, as initial reporting is rarely "truth". The same applies in this case.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

Here's the sick and sad truth. If Von had 10 sacks and was terrorizing opponents QB's instead of pregnant Exes, everyone "the majority" would be giving him the benefit of the doubt. Innocent until proven guilty. Let him play. But since he is sucking up cap like a vampire sucking blood, people want to find a way to terminate his contract. It's the catch 22 of living in a performance based world.  

UPDATE:  If the facts come out that he did indeed abuse her and there is physical proof, then I feel almost all of us would want to see justice done and Von disciplined for his actions.  All bets are off and the team will have to have him removed from the roster.  It would be a shame to see Von ruin his career over a bye week altercation that he should have had the wisdom to avoid. 

Edited by TampaBillsJunkie
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, TampaBillsJunkie said:

Here's the sick and sad truth. If Von had 10 sacks and was terrorizing opponents QB's instead of pregnant Exes, everyone would be giving him the benefit of the doubt. Innocent until proven guilty. Let him play. But since he is sucking up cap like a vampire sucking blood, people want to find a way to terminate his contract. It's the catch 22 of living in a performance based world.  

Not true at all.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, boater said:

It doesn't matter if she recants, from the stories:

With that physical evidence, it is the District Attorney's prerogative whether or not to proceed with charges.

It's out of the girl friend's hands and into the hands of the DA, and Goodell. The questions going forward:

Is it one of those ambitious headline seeking DAs?

What will Goodell do with it?

texas law already mandates that it is the decision of the prosecutor not the victim to press charges.

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

Justin Jefferson?

jim jeffcoat?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The guy who doesn't have any idea of the grueling demand of a season is telling us what is good for those players.  Refreshing.  "Even though I've never been through it, I know what is or isn't enough for these players."  Entitlement.

So basically every team in the playoff hunt should be practicing on their bye weeks.  Yet none of them do it.

Broncos are on a 5 game winning streak, sitting at 6-5.  Shouldn't they be practicing on bye weeks?  What about the Chiefs?  They are averaging 23 ppg on offense....now where near Super Bowl Championship level.  They must be content with how good on offense they have been this year.

The 60's, they played 12 games.  We now play 17.  They players travel more because there are more teams.

Players are bigger, stronger and faster....the impacts are greater.  

But I guess the argument is, if they make a lot of money, they don't deserve the max rest the the CBA fought for.  That's amazing to me.

Not really, but you seem to want to argue rather than simply discuss it.

Have fun.  🙂

4 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Innocent until proven guilty.  People rushing to judgment to condemn is the new trendy "social justice" nonsense 

some final thoughts for today:

The gf  realizes what a horrible mess this is for her babys daddy and want to minimize the event.  It's predictable. And sad all around.

I think he messed up BADLY. That's what I think.  And now they both wish it would/could just go away.

Maybe it will get swept under the rug legally but did he rough her up? Oh yes I think so

I think where there is smoke there very possibly is fire. We are not a jury privy to all facts of this case. But the facts aren't just conjecture and innuendo. There is actual evidence of a crime in this case. Video is very difficult evidence to refute. 

Once is a mistake, twice is a pattern. The best predictor of future behavior is relevant past behavior. 

at least I have a forum to vent and it impacts decisions in his case ZERO just sayin'

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

Here's the sick and sad truth. If Von had 10 sacks and was terrorizing opponents QB's instead of pregnant Exes, everyone would be giving him the benefit of the doubt. Innocent until proven guilty. Let him play. But since he is sucking up cap like a vampire sucking blood, people want to find a way to terminate his contract. It's the catch 22 of living in a performance based world.  

Don't think that at all, what would be different is all the cap talk which is kind of distasteful wouldn't have happened, or at least it wouldn't have been the first thing said so often.

6 minutes ago, muppy said:

some final thoughts for today:

The gf  realizes what a horrible mess this is for her babys daddy and want to minimize the event.  It's predictable. And sad all around.

I think he messed up BADLY. That's what I think.  And now they both wish it would/could just go away.

Maybe it will get swept under the rug legally but did he rough her up? Oh yes I think so

I think where there is smoke there very possibly is fire. We are not a jury privy to all facts of this case. But the facts aren't just conjecture and innuendo. There is actual evidence of a crime in this case. Video is very difficult evidence to refute. 

Once is a mistake, twice is a pattern. The best predictor of future behavior is relevant past behavior. 

at least I have a forum to vent and it impacts decisions in his case ZERO just sayin'

“Oh yes I think so” means exactly the same thing as “I literally don’t know what happened”

Edited by Chaos

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Don't give me a cop out answer "I don't care what other teams do".

What's the reason that no team in the NFL practices on their off weeks?

Yeah these NFL softies don't belong here because 100% of them get a full bye week.  

Do you want to lose out on FA to the Chiefs, Bengals, 49ers and other contenders because you are making it very clear around the league that player health isn't the #1 concern?

I'm pretty sure the CBA requires that the players get the bye week off, so it's a non-issue. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.