Which WR prospect will the Bengals screw us out of?

DrDawkinstein

The draft is fluid up to that day.   Depending on where the Bills finish, a top 10 WR is a possibility.  If there is not one available, CB or DE.  They will need to draft:  WR, CB, S, DE and DT.   The offense is set except WR2 and C.  The defense is in need of youth.   Low level FAs will help too. 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, alluro said:

Odunze is my pipe dream for the next draft. I'd also like to see them send a late rounder to Baltimore for Rashod Bateman who seems to have been forgotten in their offense. 

Make sure to watch the PAC 12 championship game on Friday.  You'll get to see Odunze, as well as Troy Franklin from Oregon, who I think would be a great fit for us.  He's got plenty of size, good hands, blazing speed and huge YAC ability.  I don't know why he's not being talked about as a top-20 pick. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/28/2023 at 10:33 AM, BlazinBill said:

Don't we have like 75 picks this year?

Not sure if you have an answer yet, but it looks like we have nine picks after the Rasul Douglas trade, plus probably a 3rd-round comp pick for losing Edmunds:

First round: Own

Second round: Own

[Hoping a third-round comp pick]

Fourth round: Own

Fifth round: From Green Bay

Fifth round: Own

Sixth round: Own

Sixth round: From Los Angeles Rams, or from Denver via Rams

Sixth round: From Houston, or from Dallas via Houston

Seventh round: Own 

Also, anyone know what this means:

"Sixth round: From Houston, or from Dallas via Houston" ??

On 11/28/2023 at 9:42 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

The Bills need to draft a WR.

The Bengals are about to lose Tee Higgins, and once again find themselves without Burrow and likely with another Top 10 pick.

As of today, the Bills are at #17 and the Bengals #12. I expect the Bills to end up around #15 and Bengals around #10.

Neither team will have a chance at Marvin Harrison Jr. He'll be a top 5 pick, hopefully not to New England. I imagine Odunze will be off the board before either of us pick as well. Although Odunze is close to a Higgins clone and Bengals might end up pretty high if they likely lose out.

Tampa Bay should screw us out of a WR too, again. In 2014, they took Mike Evans. Had we stayed put, they might have drafted Sammy Watkins, and we could have had Evans. I know...it's all hindsight and speculation. But many current mocks have Tampa Bay taking a WR too, and Odunze's name comes up a lot.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/29/2023 at 2:18 PM, Nitro said:

The draft is fluid up to that day.   Depending on where the Bills finish, a top 10 WR is a possibility.  If there is not one available, CB or DE.  They will need to draft:  WR, CB, S, DE and DT.   The offense is set except WR2 and C.  The defense is in need of youth.   Low level FAs will help too. 

RT to me is still a need 

1 minute ago, DJB said:

RT to me is still a need 

I genuinely do not understand this. 

We have a Top 5 OL this year and Spencer Brown is an average to above average RT game to game … and still has upside to grow into. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I genuinely do not understand this. 

We have a Top 5 OL this year and Spencer Brown is an average to above average RT game to game … and still has upside to grow into. 

Hes been carried by the rest of the line and specifically Torrence. Hes also had help from chips by the RB, and TE’s.

We need an upgrade 

15 minutes ago, DJB said:

Hes been carried by the rest of the line and specifically Torrence. Hes also had help from chips by the RB, and TE’s.

We need an upgrade 

We “want” an upgrade, maybe. 

Im sorry … top 5 OL doesn’t equate to need, especially when we “need” a WR2 and potentially a C, depending on what we do with Morse/Bates.   

Nevermind the fact we may have to fill holes on defense with rookies. 

If an elite RT drops due to everyone going QB and WR before us, then I’m not opposed … I’m never opposed to OL.  But it seems now, more than ever, drafting Tackles early is quite the roll of the dice.  

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, balln said:

Absolute NEEDS are debatable. de , DT, s , c , R ot , and wr2.

BUT I think if you’re being honest - if the bills are to rebuild and stay high level competitive. It’s WR2. All day. It’s a must. 

If we get lucky and get out of the VM contract we can hopefully get Floyd and AJE for that money with some extra savings. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I watched Odunze in the game yesterday and wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. He played well overall, but wasn't the best Washington WR in this game.

He relies on his physical attributes & strong hands to out-position DBs for the ball, not really a route-running technician. He somewhat reminds me of Quentin Johnson at TCU last year, who was dominant in college but considered somewhat raw coming into the NFL. Those type of WRs usually aren't immediate contributors, and take time.

On 11/28/2023 at 9:49 AM, Dablitzkrieg said:

The Bills will do Billsy things and draft  CB or S .  We have a clueless regime

I'm kind of surprised at how many people have agreed with this post. It really speaks to how short fans' memories tend to be. Does anyone remember the regime this current regime replaced? Or the decade, and a half of regimes that came before that? 

Be that as it may, out of the eleven starters on our current offense, seven of them were drafted. That's not a bad (or clueless) record.

Well, obviously Harrison will go probably in the top two of the draft.  Most mock drafters have Nabers going next.  He might not have the measurables that wow observers quite to the degree of some of the other top receivers, but he's probably the most polished WR after Harrison.  Then there is Odunze.  He's got a nice combination of size and speed.  He might slip down to the Bills if the Bills draft in the middle of round 1, but it's more likely that he'll be gone. Coleman will be available when the Bills pick.  I'm not sure if I would pick him or not.  He's similar in size to Odunze if not quite as fast.  Egbuka is similar in size to Nabers, but faster if not quite as highly regarded.  He's the second best receiver on his own college team.  Worthy is fast, but built like a string bean.  I'd be worried about durability in the NFL.  If he gains weight, there is no quarantee he's maintain his speed/quickness.  Troy Franklin is a little bigger than Worthy and not quite as fast.  Most observers regard him as a 2nd round pick.  I've seen him mocked to the Bills in the middle of the second round.  Xavier Legette has the most intriguing combination of measurables on the list.  He's not quite as big as Calvin Johnson ("Megatron") or DK Metcalf, but he could be faster.  He's not as polished as others on this list.  Because of his speed, there is a decent chance he gets drafted in round 1.  The team that drafts him that high is taking a chance, but it could result in a big payoff.  Johnny Wilson is a receiver in a tight end body.  He's a late 2nd round pick.  If Buffalo wants him in round two, they can certainly get him.

If I'm Buffalo and drafting in the middle of round 1, my first choice Odunze if he's available, Egbuka if he's not.  I also would be tempted to trade down some and pick Legette.

All that said, there are other positions Buffalo could consider addressing in round 1 where they might be drafting, including offensive line, defensive back and edge rusher.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

Well, obviously Harrison will go probably in the top two of the draft.  Most mock drafters have Nabers going next.  He might not have the measurables that wow observers quite to the degree of some of the other top receivers, but he's probably the most polished WR after Harrison.  Then there is Odunze.  He's got a nice combination of size and speed.  He might slip down to the Bills if the Bills draft in the middle of round 1, but it's more likely that he'll be gone. Coleman will be available when the Bills pick.  I'm not sure if I would pick him or not.  He's similar in size to Odunze if not quite as fast.  Egbuka is similar in size to Nabers, but faster if not quite as highly regarded.  He's the second best receiver on his own college team.  Worthy is fast, but built like a string bean.  I'd be worried about durability in the NFL.  If he gains weight, there is no quarantee he's maintain his speed/quickness.  Troy Franklin is a little bigger than Worthy and not quite as fast.  Most observers regard him as a 2nd round pick.  I've seen him mocked to the Bills in the middle of the second round.  Xavier Legette has the most intriguing combination of measurables on the list.  He's not quite as big as Calvin Johnson ("Megatron") or DK Metcalf, but he could be faster.  He's not as polished as others on this list.  Because of his speed, there is a decent chance he gets drafted in round 1.  The team that drafts him that high is taking a chance, but it could result in a big payoff.  Johnny Wilson is a receiver in a tight end body.  He's a late 2nd round pick.  If Buffalo wants him in round two, they can certainly get him.

If I'm Buffalo and drafting in the middle of round 1, my first choice Odunze if he's available, Egbuka if he's not.  I also would be tempted to trade down some and pick Legette.

All that said, there are other positions Buffalo could consider addressing in round 1 where they might be drafting, including offensive line, defensive back and edge rusher.

Legette sounds exactly like the kind of pick Beane/McDermott go for. They love drafting for potential, over polish, or those who are "NFL-ready." And I quite like that approach, honestly. It has garnered mixed results, of course. Allen was a home run obviously, but Groot, and Spencer Brown also fit that description. Of course, so does Tremaine Edmunds, and Kaiir Elam...

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Legette sounds exactly like the kind of pick Beane/McDermott go for. They love crafting for potential, over polish, or those who are "NFL-ready." And I quite like that approach, honestly. It has garnered mixed results, of course. Allen was a home run obviously, but Groot, and Spencer Brown also fit that description. Of course, so does Tremaine Edmunds, and Kaiir Elam...

Legette is the put the ball in my hands and watch me go type of receiver. Rather it's a reverse, screen, etc. Definitely the type that would benefit Josh. 

2 hours ago, JPPT1974 said:

Bills need a WR to help out Diggs for sure. Maybe lower in the draft and not in the top draft rounds.

They need more than that.  They need someone who can become a true WR1 in a year or two…Diggs is 30.

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JPPT1974 said:

Bills need a WR to help out Diggs for sure. Maybe lower in the draft and not in the top draft rounds.

That’s what they already have been doing. Need to do better than pray that a 4th or 5th rounder eventually works out 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/28/2023 at 1:17 PM, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

We just spent a first on a young playmaker this season.  And a 2nd the previous season.  It's not like we don't do that. 

If the value is there sure - but i hate trading up with a billion holes on the defense.  The defense is old to the point where the players are aging off the roster, and there aren't replacements.   

there aren’t replacements because if poor drafting.  I don’t trust Bean with high D picks. 

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Still whatever it takes for MHJ team. The guy would be a top 30 WR in the league tomorrow. Maybe higher.

It would take way too much to get him unfortunately. Like basically what the Panthers gave up for #1 last year and we don't have it. It would take less to get Nabers and he's the clear #2 to me. Like a better Jordan Addison. Odunze looks like a saucier Gabe with better hands, Coleman looks like a Demaryius Thomas type, and Legette doing absolutely nothing until he was a super senior is a major red flag to me. Egbuka seems like a technician but less of a field stretcher. 

If we trade up I hope it's Nabers, if we stand pat I hope it's Odunze or Coleman, if we trade back I hope it's Egbuka, and Legette is a stay away for me unless back of R2 or later.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

It would take way too much to get him unfortunately. Like basically what the Panthers gave up for #1 last year and we don't have it. It would take less to get Nabers and he's the clear #2 to me. Like a better Jordan Addison. Odunze looks like a saucier Gabe with better hands, Coleman looks like a Demaryius Thomas type, and Legette doing absolutely nothing until he was a super senior is a major red flag to me. Egbuka seems like a technician but less of a field stretcher. 

If we trade up I hope it's Nabers, if we stand pat I hope it's Odunze or Coleman, if we trade back I hope it's Egbuka, and Legette is a stay away for me unless back of R2 or later.

If you look at the average first round pick and what they offer to a team I don't see very many first round picks able to make the contribution that this guy will. Heu will be a bona fide starter 10 plus years

20 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Not even going to waste my time this year.

McDufus will go defense.  Again.  

Well the good news is we have like 10 picks, and this draft looks LOADED with WRs.

https://www.drafttek.com/2024-NFL-Draft-Position-Rankings/Top-College-WRs-2024-NFL-Draft.asp

I see most mocks have talent like Jermaine Burton going in the 3rd or even 4th. I dont want to wait THAT long to get our first WR, but we don't have to go in the 1st. And for the state our Secondary will be in come April/May, we likely wont have any other choice.

And just as this thread predicts, SBNation has a new mock out which has Bengals at 13, Bills at 14, and Bengals nabbing Odunze as we get Nabers.

Exactly the type of situation I hope to avoid.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2023/12/4/23987205/nfl-mock-draft-2024-first-round-projection-update-bowl-games

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.