Do you wonder if the league is fixed?

The Red King

3 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

C'mon man, you know that for it to be a catch it requires ...

5 Golden steps

3 Football moves

And a Partridge in a Pear Tree.

only if it’s a receiver on the team the Bills are facing.

Edited by RiotAct
And only if the receiver gets the ball jarred loose after turning downfield.
  • Like (+1) 1

No.  That’d be the stupidest, brand jeopardizing, wealth destroying, scheme imaginable.  I’m leaving out the impossible to accomplish without exposure angle.  “We have one of the most exclusive, century old, billion dollar industries on the planet that works just fine and keeps getting rmore lucrative.   I know, let’s risk it by involving unsophisticated operatives like part time working-man officials and pro athletes, many of whom are recreational drug users.”

For those that want to exclude league involvement and just bring in Vegas, amend my quote changing century to centuries.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Drew21PA said:

Easy

$$$

make money who cares / losing teams have proven to be profitable 

You can’t tell me refs don’t dictate gsmes

ie

Philly vs Buffalo 10 penalties to 1 in the first half

seemed to slow down the smack down we were giving them

I did not state they don't influence games, I state they are not "rigged". The NFL is terribly officiated and the NFL is not upset about it, but the officials don't make calls to make sure one team wins but often the officials are just incompetent. I would like officials like in my daughter's basketball game yesterday, we  lost a close game because the official was very tight on travels and several kids on her team think it is the NBA, the officials were consistent and I had to repeatedly tell the kids that it would be called. It influenced the game but as long as it is consistent I am happy. The NFL is horrendously inconsistent within the same game and that is the issue. 

I don't know if games are "fixed", but there is something going on with the way the schedule is made and the way games are officated. Remember the depths of the drought when bills had more games against teams off any type of rest than any other? It was a repeated thing, not just a one-year one-off. The league made more money when the Pats were winning and Brady had incredible games. 

It is pretty clear that certain players are favored, too. The NFL gets a ton of money from jersey sales alone, so it is in the NFL's best interest to have those teams with the prime players featured and winnning. 

So, maybe not fixed, but there are definite preferences. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

I did not state they don't influence games, I state they are not "rigged". The NFL is terribly officiated and the NFL is not upset about it, but the officials don't make calls to make sure one team wins but often the officials are just incompetent. I would like officials like in my daughter's basketball game yesterday, we  lost a close game because the official was very tight on travels and several kids on her team think it is the NBA, the officials were consistent and I had to repeatedly tell the kids that it would be called. It influenced the game but as long as it is consistent I am happy. The NFL is horrendously inconsistent within the same game and that is the issue. 

Hold a second here

i get you I don’t like to blame officials but hear me out 

so let’s say the teams aren’t in on it but refs are given a script to follow and have to impede influence to win the game as the nfl says.

non call blatant pi?

pi in key game changing moment?

I’ve seen it you have and that’s where I think this is possible 

11 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

This reminds me of the days when folks kept insisting that the refs were instructed to make calls in favor of Brady and the Pats.  Time to get out the tin foil.

Is that the same time where that team got caught cheating and the evidence kept disappearing or the time when they kept getting caught cheating and they slapped them on the wrist? I get confused, there are so many.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, That's No Moon said:

So those things didn't happen then? 

that’s correct.  Billionaire owners never agreed to have the league favor a single  team at their expense.

as to the Pats cheating by stealing calls or playing with ball inflation ,  I’ll let sports historians figure out how to categorize that in the history books when they write about the Pats dynasty many years in the future 

2 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

that’s correct.  Billionaire owners never agreed to have the league favor a single  team at their expense.

as to the Pats cheating by stealing calls or playing with ball inflation ,  I’ll let sports historians figure out how to categorize that in the history books when they write about the Pats dynasty many years in the future 

So it did happen, but it wasn't league organized or sanctioned by the other owners? And the commissioner, who works for the owners, he surely lost his job then.

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

So it did happen, but it wasn't league organized or sanctioned by the other owners? And the commissioner, who works for the owners, he surely lost his job then.

You have quite a story then .  Perhaps time to share this massive conspiracy with the news outlets ? 

Just now, Bubba Gump said:

I'm starting to smells me a San Fran/Miami Superbowl. Goodell would love that. Not sure why he would want Miami. Even when they are good, they still can't fill 2/3 of that stadium with fin fans. Horrible fanbase. 

Last year in Miami a guy from Germany sat next to us. He was on holiday and tried to convince us he was really a SanFran fan. 😆... He took pictures every time the Dolphins scored.  My wife would nudge me when he was taking pics. 😆... Some 9ers fan, Fins hater. 

• Haha (+1) 1

With legalized gambling on games, there is extra cash to be earned by refs on the side which could explain some of the  “horrible” officiating. They don’t have to be the ones placing bets. Others can do it for them. Money can be laundered. 

Edited by Andy1
  • Agree 3

14 hours ago, Drew21PA said:

Hold a second here

i get you I don’t like to blame officials but hear me out 

so let’s say the teams aren’t in on it but refs are given a script to follow and have to impede influence to win the game as the nfl says.

non call blatant pi?

pi in key game changing moment?

I’ve seen it you have and that’s where I think this is possible 

You and I aren't that much different, I simply don't believe the NFL is dumb enough to fix a game prior to the game. I definitely could be convinced a crew was doing it for money or some other reason, but the NFL is not going to fix a game when they can simply say " hey look out for Dawkins and the way he wraps the right arm". Not fixing game but certainly influencing. My last point is that people have confirmation bias, so if they expect to see Tommy Boy complete a pass they will look harder to figure out why making poor calls more likely, especially when the officials are not able to keep up physically forget about mentally. 

I don't know if I believe that "the game is fixed" in the sense that the NFL says "we want Team Bird to win the game over Team Turd" or the like.

I think that the word is out at times to "protect the stars of the game" leading to star QB like Mahomes getting the benefit of the doubt on roughing calls.  I also think there may be a mandate to "keep it interesting" by giving the underdog the benefit of the doubt early in the game.

I also think individual refs have personal biases that interfere with their judgement.  As the saying goes "let a man get a reputation for rising early, and he may sleep 'til noon without changing it".  MVS is a 50% catch rate guy.  If he were CeeDee Lamb or Tyreek Hill with a >70% catch rate, maybe he gets the call.

I also think betting can influence things - I don't think refs are allowed to bet, but what stops their buddy Fred from betting on their behalf and quietly sharing the loot?

44 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

You and I aren't that much different, I simply don't believe the NFL is dumb enough to fix a game prior to the game. I definitely could be convinced a crew was doing it for money or some other reason, but the NFL is not going to fix a game when they can simply say " hey look out for Dawkins and the way he wraps the right arm". Not fixing game but certainly influencing. My last point is that people have confirmation bias, so if they expect to see Tommy Boy complete a pass they will look harder to figure out why making poor calls more likely, especially when the officials are not able to keep up physically forget about mentally. 

I don’t think it’s as specific as a video game - I do think there is merit to the refs knowing the spread and knowing the rules - like blackjack per se - favor the house. 

the nfl has been caught - they won a court case against jets fans stating this is entertainment A we entertained it’s not a sport 

that was enough to really make me dig 

lots of money and they know who will make it for them 

bride you say well Allen is marketable and the bills would make them billions

youre right

bir that’s where there is a gray area becuase despite losing this season - buffalo made them billion and we aren’t going anywhere. Essentially they know what’s going to make them billions 

Just now, Drew21PA said:

I don’t think it’s as specific as a video game - I do think there is merit to the refs knowing the spread and knowing the rules - like blackjack per se - favor the house. 

the nfl has been caught - they won a court case against jets fans stating this is entertainment A we entertained it’s not a sport 

that was enough to really make me dig 

lots of money and they know who will make it for them 

bride you say well Allen is marketable and the bills would make them billions

youre right

bir that’s where there is a gray area becuase despite losing this season - buffalo made them billion and we aren’t going anywhere. Essentially they know what’s going to make them billions 

Same with Dallas not winning championships 

The league is not so much “fixed” as it is heavily controlled…, 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

The league is not so much “fixed” as it is heavily controlled…, 

Those men in black that came out during the Texans playoff game. Man, that was creepy. 

Where was the local media chasing that story??? 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think the league is overtly "fixed". The reason is there would be far too much to lose (literally the entire league would go down the drain) and far too little to gain (the league wouldn't make that much more money if they got the matchups they most desired). The incentives just aren't there for the league to be fixed. Now do I think that referees do have personal bias and that can influence games? Of course, but do I think there are top down orders from the league office to instruct referees to make favorable calls for one team? No, it just is far too much to lose and far too little to gain for that level of conspiracy to make sense.  

What I think people are missing in the “league wouldn’t be that stupid” crowd is that this was not a case of a clean league suddenly becoming crooked. 

This is a case of an originally crooked league becoming less overtly crooked over time. 

Read Interference by Dan Moldea. You’ll understand how deep gambling and organized crime runs in the NFL from the absolute highest levels (commissioners and owners). These are not far fetched conspiracies but well documented. They are just “kept out of sight”. Most of your favorite players from the 70s and 80s have been involved in gambling/fixing scandals. 

6 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

People that believe in conspiracies have never worked in management at large companies. Those that have understand how ridiculous the notion is. Never associate that with malice that can be explained by incompetence.

Spoken like a true politician who is trying to cover up their never ending corrupt BS.  ;)

There is room for incompetence and a lack of integrity in everything. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

People that believe in conspiracies have never worked in management at large companies. Those that have understand how ridiculous the notion is. Never associate that with malice that can be explained by incompetence.

For most of my life I lived believing this general idea that for the most part people mean well. I still believe this in common people, but not when big money is involved. I don't buy into conspiracies at large but I do believe people are greedy and have agendas. The world is full of examples but without getting into any of that and respecting this as a football conversation, I don't believe that the NFL is fixed. However, with Vegas now in bed with the NFL, I just can't see how there isn't a little something happening here and there to sway in specific directions. It happened in the NBA why is it far fetched to believe it could happen in the NFL?  I wish I had more faith in people  I just don't. 

Edited by Goin Breakdown
  • Like (+1) 2

On 12/3/2023 at 2:10 PM, Orlando Tim said:

I am assuming this is meant as a joke- the DB assumed Diggs was heading for the sideline and when Diggs didn't he was caught out of position. Bad play not 

On 12/3/2023 at 2:10 PM, Orlando Tim said:

I am assuming this is meant as a joke- the DB assumed Diggs was heading for the sideline and when Diggs didn't he was caught out of position. Bad play not scripted

Idk what he was thinking to quote Aikmans commentary live. Assumed Diggs was headed for sideline while he was in the air I guess. Why beat him to the angle idk.

16 minutes ago, 1onemangang7 said:

So that's good reason to avoid contact? I love preseason. Bummer it's only 3 weeks now.

Yes what is the scenario of that play maybe he didn’t want to blow up the guy and risk injury to both of them 

probably made a business decision the only time I saw a tackle like that was the vikes saints game where he whiffed on diggs which was sketchy 

but a preseason clip is laughable