Game Ball: Shawn Hochuli

BringBackFergy

14 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

The Eagles made enough TERRIBLE plays to lose the game. When the commentators and guest officiating expert point out how bad it is during the broadcast, you really can't keep burying your head in the sand. The NFL has a problem. It's apparent in so many games every week. The refs need to change their approach to the game and the league needs to be more transparent with their process. If the USFL/XFL can do it, then the NFL should be able to do it. As a consumer, we should demand it.

I still don’t understand how in the playoffs they have the eye in the sky official to help call off bad flags or throw a flag in certain situations. In the playoffs it has worked really well IMO. The worst flag is a phantom flag or a blatant no-call. Feel like you don’t really see that in the playoffs. 

why they don’t use it in the regular season is beyond me

1 hour ago, Old Coot said:

Shawn Hochuli's explanation of why the horse collar wasn't called: Note: I'm only a messenger. I don't endorse the view expressed.

"We felt that the force from the front of the collar and what pulled him down was not from the back," referee Shawn Hochuli told a pool reporter after the game. "So, that’s pretty much it. We felt he was pulled down from the front of the jersey and collar."

Except that is actually irrelevant.  You cannot grab the inside of the jersey period, as stated in the NFL Rulebook below:

image.thumb.png.5aa95470cfab2bbaf02f5fb97719cb05.png

Effectively Hochuli made up his OWN VERSION of the rule instead of using the one the NFL has.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Angry 1

40 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

I still don’t understand how in the playoffs they have the eye in the sky official to help call off bad flags or throw a flag in certain situations. In the playoffs it has worked really well IMO. The worst flag is a phantom flag or a blatant no-call. Feel like you don’t really see that in the playoffs. 

Oh they do, only for illegal man downfield calls though.  Like in the Bills Patriots game

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Except that is actually irrelevant.  You cannot grab the inside of the jersey period, as stated in the NFL Rulebook below:

The quote says the horse collar rule does not apply to a QB in the pocket. So it's legal to horse collar the QB?

I think at this point If the horrendous officiating continues the NFL is going to be forced to allow reviews after questionable plays even if it extends games way too long.

I'm not blaming yesterdays loss on that but it was blatantly one sided and despite that Josh Allen still led this team to what should have been another huge win in recent years if not for the clown on the sidelines.

2 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

The quote says the horse collar rule does not apply to a QB in the pocket. So it's legal to horse collar the QB?

That is correct, it does not apply in the pocket. Allen was not in the pocket, he was near the sideline meaning the normal horsecollar rules apply

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That is correct, it does not apply in the pocket. Allen was not in the pocket, he was near the sideline meaning the normal horsecollar rules apply

Which is also why it was so hilariously inept to call the grounding penalty 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Zag20 said:

Which is also why it was so hilariously inept to call the grounding penalty 

They could have called the grounding since the ball didn't reach the LOS but Gabe Davis was literally 2-3 feet from where the ball landed which should have nullified that.  

You know what was also fun about how the officiating played out in this game? It's how it changed as the game went on, so 1st half just blatant bias for the Eagles they're getting away with everything and the Bills are getting murdered with calls.

2nd half comes along and it seems like word came along from upstairs that this ***** was getting out of hand, way too noticeable better cut it out your getting called out on social media and even on the broadcast. So what's Hochuli to do call a balanced game on the Eagles....***** that can't stomach doing that, so whats he do?

2nd half how about no penalties at all.

On the surface seems fair for both teams, but what do you think happens in that situation?

A. The Eagles keep abusing the refs leniency, while the Bills having no reason to trust that they won't be penalized into oblivion absolutely don't.

or

B. Both teams take advantage of the situation equally.

Everybody got their final answer? Alright well if you picked A. or B. I'm sorry your wrong it was C.

C. It's all a ***** trap. Even if the Bills did take advantage of the situation it just would put Hochuli in the perfect position to start calling penalties on obvious things that nobody would really be able to complain about the calls.

At the end of the game I think since the Bills didn't trust him which was actually probably the best call and since we were managed to be in a position to win all the way into OT, and maybe another call got made about ridiculous things not being called so he finally had to call a few on the Eagles poor him. 😢

Or at least that's what it all ***** felt like.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Agree 1

10 penalties against the Bills in the first half, and most were ticky tack(Conor, Rasul, etc).

1 penalty against the hometown Eagles in the first half

That has nothing to do with the Bills.  If any NFL game the penalties are 10-1 in favor, I can tell you without knowing anything about that game that the refs suck and have an agenda

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Has the phantom holding call been brought up?  It was offsetting penalties as Kincaid was held on thurd down and somehow the Bills were too called for a hold that did not happen.  Replay down, inc and a punt.  Bills were moving the ball thay pissession 

Was that the one where McGovern or Morse had the DT shoot in, the DT fell forward to the ground and Morse/McGovern basically watched him fall to the ground. Tony Romo said something like “ehhhh, not sure that was much of a hold”

• Like (+1) 3

54 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Was that the one where McGovern or Morse had the DT shoot in, the DT fell forward to the ground and Morse/McGovern basically watched him fall to the ground. Tony Romo said something like “ehhhh, not sure that was much of a hold”

Watched im a bar, a very quick replay and may have been.  Ot was a joke call regardless 

The game is too fast for the officials to call it accurately.  I assumed that's why they now have the "eye in the sky", to buzz down and get them to huddle up and correct calls.  But stuff like interference, or non interference or holding can't be corrected.

13 hours ago, Warcodered said:

You know what was also fun about how the officiating played out in this game? It's how it changed as the game went on, so 1st half just blatant bias for the Eagles they're getting away with everything and the Bills are getting murdered with calls.

2nd half comes along and it seems like word came along from upstairs that this ***** was getting out of hand, way too noticeable better cut it out your getting called out on social media and even on the broadcast. So what's Hochuli to do call a balanced game on the Eagles....***** that can't stomach doing that, so whats he do?

2nd half how about no penalties at all.

On the surface seems fair for both teams, but what do you think happens in that situation?

A. The Eagles keep abusing the refs leniency, while the Bills having no reason to trust that they won't be penalized into oblivion absolutely don't.

or

B. Both teams take advantage of the situation equally.

Everybody got their final answer? Alright well if you picked A. or B. I'm sorry your wrong it was C.

C. It's all a ***** trap. Even if the Bills did take advantage of the situation it just would put Hochuli in the perfect position to start calling penalties on obvious things that nobody would really be able to complain about the calls.

At the end of the game I think since the Bills didn't trust him which was actually probably the best call and since we were managed to be in a position to win all the way into OT, and maybe another call got made about ridiculous things not being called so he finally had to call a few on the Eagles poor him. 😢

Or at least that's what it all ***** felt like.

This was 100% the blueprint during the Cheaters 'dynasty'.  Incredible one-sided game-altering calls in their favor in 1st half to get them ahead - then whistles swallowed in 2nd half allowing them to keep lead in boring fashion.   Unless they were down last drive, then add phantom PI call to gift them score to win

The other call I thought was great was Ed Oliver hands to the face.  If there was some way to screengrab the hands to the face, you can clearly see the O lineman with a handful of Oliver's jersey.  So Oliver is supposed to just let the blatant hold go and live with it rather than try and get out of the hold. Should have been off setting.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Effectively Hochuli made up his OWN VERSION of the rule instead of using the one the NFL has.

So I looked at this and technically it does say where you can grab in the first sentence that's what that sentence is doing. Still it doesn't matter in this case because you can just watch the damn replay.

Allen isn't going down while he's grabbing the front of his jersey he's doing that thing he does stiff arming him and moving to the right. Then the arm lands up for the horse collar and low and behold Allen gets pulled to the ground by some mysterious force.

The penalty is obvious and blatant.

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, Alpo Chino said:

There were some Philly fans where I watched the game and they were literally laughing at how much favoritism they got from the refs. They were saying how untouchable they are with that crew and to always bet on them when Hochuli calls the game. 

Ed was a horrible ref and his spawn is just as bad.  Stick Hochuli at the top of NFL officials willing to screw Buffalo.  

There were so many egregious calls that went against us on Sunday it was pathetic. Bull crap flags that always negated big plays or first downs. then flags that kept their drives moving. Or the random offset to throw a flag on them, but not really penalize them by saying we were at fault too. Then the multiple PI's/Defensive Holding calls passed over that should have gone against Philly. Multiple holds by their OL. The AJ Brown potential fumble that wasn't even reviewed. The unnecessary roughness that should have been called for the hit on Diggs. The one where he get blasted in back after a TD. Blatant favoritism like we saw on Sunday is so absolutely sickening and truly does lend credence to the whole "NFL is rigged" crowd. I can't see how no one can be held accountable for it. If I was a coach or a player, give me that fine because I am putting all of them on blast at the end of the game in that press conference. 

Edited by H2o
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, H2o said:

There were so many egregious calls that went against us on Sunday it was pathetic. Bull crap flags that always negated big plays or first downs. then flags that kept their drives moving. Or the random offset to throw a flag on them, but not really penalize them by saying we were at fault too. Then the multiple PI's/Defensive Holding calls passed over that should have gone against Philly. Multiple holds by their OL. The AJ Brown potential fumble that wasn't even reviewed. The unnecessary roughness that should have been called for the hit on Diggs. The one where he get blasted in back after a TD. Blatant favoritism like we saw on Sunday is so absolutely sickening and truly does lend credence to the whole "NFL is rigged" crowd. I can't see how no one can be held accountable for it. If I was a coach or a player, give me that fine because I am putting all of them on blast at the end of the game in that press conference. 

And none more egregious than the non called horse collar illustrated just a few posts up.  Its just unfathomable that a QB that is one of the faces of the NFL, could be rag dolled to the ground by his pads, his jersey nearly ripped off.. and the Ref literally feet away with one responsibility… to watch the QB misses that? ???   AND somehow looking directly at all that decides the QB commits the foul by not throwing a pass well enough to hit his receiver in the hands while getting tossed down.  

These are game changing calls and non calls that the refs are making.  The fact that they are never punished and the league has not done more to eliminate such clear and blatant manipulation of the game can only mean one thing…  the league is ok with refs influencing the outcome of the games to favor certain teams over others.    

If the league wanted to have any appearance of impartiality, they should fine Hochuli and suspend him pending a review of who’s paying him off.    It’s just unacceptable to think he just didn’t see the horse collar or that he saw it but didn’t think it was what it so blatantly was. He’s either on the take or completely inept.  

Edited by Dan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

https://operations.nfl.com/inside-football-ops/rules-enforcement/gameday-accountability/

Gonna keep an eye on this link in the next few days/week.

Wow! Thnx... Now you know how they withhold serious chunks of pay and still get their labor!

Kinda like jumping in a car. Even Jesus Christ couldn't go to the supermarket without a traffic violation!

The systems know how to exact money from the one's actually participating in the system.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/27/2023 at 1:02 PM, VaMilBill said:

They just pick and choose. They're controlling the games as much as possible in order to maximize profits. It'd be too easy to make officiating a streamlined, transparent, and fair process. But instead they're going the other direction. They make it as complicated and murky as possible.

The USFL/XFL made it a point to show us how simple and non-intrusive the officiating process can be. People need to pay attention.

Eagles' Haason Reddick, Josh Sweat say Bills QB Josh Allen lobbied officials to flag him for intentional grounding

According to Reddick and Sweat postgame, Allen wanted the penalty call so that Reddick wouldn't be credited with a sack.

• "That's some bulls***, and he did it on purpose," Sweat said. "The f***ing dude literally begged [the officials] for intentional grounding to not f***ing take a sack. He f***ing begged for intentional grounding just to not give us a sack. It could've been a fumble, and you'd f*** your team at that point. How the f*** do we get penalized [in the stat sheet] for him getting a penalty? Don't f***ing take my sh** away. It's too hard to get there."
  • Reddick corroborated Sweat's claim.
  • "He was lobbying for an intentional grounding," Reddick said. "If that doesn't tell you what that means... they gotta start counting that as a sack. They're just throwing the ball away with nobody in the area so they don't get a sack. We rush well. They already don't want us to get any sacks after we had 70 last year. They don't want us to be who we are.
  • "There's no benefit. They actually lost more yards on the intentional grounding than they did on the sack."
8 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

The other call I thought was great was Ed Oliver hands to the face.  If there was some way to screengrab the hands to the face, you can clearly see the O lineman with a handful of Oliver's jersey.  So Oliver is supposed to just let the blatant hold go and live with it rather than try and get out of the hold. Should have been off setting.

Better for him to move his arms down and break his arm or arms.

12 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Eagles' Haason Reddick, Josh Sweat say Bills QB Josh Allen lobbied officials to flag him for intentional grounding

According to Reddick and Sweat postgame, Allen wanted the penalty call so that Reddick wouldn't be credited with a sack.

• "That's some bulls***, and he did it on purpose," Sweat said. "The f***ing dude literally begged [the officials] for intentional grounding to not f***ing take a sack. He f***ing begged for intentional grounding just to not give us a sack. It could've been a fumble, and you'd f*** your team at that point. How the f*** do we get penalized [in the stat sheet] for him getting a penalty? Don't f***ing take my sh** away. It's too hard to get there."
  • "He was lobbying for an intentional grounding," Reddick said. "If that doesn't tell you what that means... they gotta start counting that as a sack. They're just throwing the ball away with nobody in the area so they don't get a sack. We rush well. They already don't want us to get any sacks after we had 70 last year. They don't want us to be who we are.
  • "There's no benefit. They actually lost more yards on the intentional grounding than they did on the sack."

Are they completely insane?

27 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Yeah saw that, what a bunch of lying pieces of *****.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.