Gabe Davis Miscommunication Plays this season

Virgil

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Allen had a great game.  And without Davis in regulation we have no chance to win.  But if we are going to criticize Davis for one play we can also criticize Josh for that pick.

thank you for admitting Davis screwed up the game winning play.

also i am not taking the bait on your moving of the goal posts.  I have to go pull an all nighter for work and have had enough of this tonight already.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Allen had a great game.  And without Davis in regulation we have no chance to win.  But if we are going to criticize Davis for one play we can also criticize Josh for that pick.

Again, read the original post.  I’m not blaming Davis for the game.  I’m calling out his involvement in what appears to be a large amount of miscommunication plays.  

Why we lost the game is in a ton of other threads 

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

thank you for admitting Davis screwed up the game winning play.

also i am not taking the bait on your moving of the goal posts.  I have to go pull an all nighter for work and have had enough of this tonight already.

I admit nothing of the kind

Just now, Virgil said:

Again, read the original post.  I’m not blaming Davis for the game.  I’m calling out his involvement in what appears to be a large amount of miscommunication plays.  

Why we lost the game is in a ton of other threads 

I would have to go back through all the games to see if your premise is accurate

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah because Allen never makes dumb plays. Pretty messed up to call a guy dumb when you have no idea who was at fault. Davis was wide open and the d back was playing inside. 

I think it's pretty clearly Gabe at fault here, cover zero vacates the middle. Josh threw to the vacancy. Football 101

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Just stop.  The WR has to make a call in route, and the QB has to make a call.  It could be either.

Nope, he never looked on a hot play, Romo said in that situation the cut is to the middle. When the qb is pressured there has to be a go to play. He ***** it.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

He made a call, Davis made a call.

No it wasn't just two players "making a call." Choice routes are very specifically designed in advance to go one way based on the defensive call. On an all out blitz the WR is supposed to go inside. That's why Josh threw it there as soon as he saw the blitz. Romo explained this during the game... And then the broadcast showed Diggs explaining it to a frustrated Davis on the sideline... This was a case of a player that is known for in-game focus issues losing focus, and costing his team a game winning TD as a result.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

I just think Gabe was frustrated, hence helmet slam.  

Cb had inside leverage, if he runs that route to the post (like many are saying), then that might have been picked off or incomplete.

Bottom line is Gabe wasn't getting to the post.  Eagles have seen us do that already too many times on tape.  There's a reason Gabe, who isn't the most gifted route runner or super athletic, won that corner route easily. Josh just didn't see it/have the time with pressure in his face.

Sometimes "option" routes are great/other times this is what happens.  

If Romo immediately calls it out and then see Davis slam his helmet in anger, it’s safe to say it was on Davis.

• Agree 3

Oh good, yet another thread chastising one of the lowest paid starters on the team.  

LOL 

Sounds like Beane's going to have to pull a Beane, since apparently he can't draft a WR that's worth a siht, and go find one for $20M/year.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If Romo immediately calls it out and then see Davis slam his helmet in anger, it’s safe to say it was on Davis.

While I appreciate and like Romo announcing, he doesn't know exactly and is a former QB/big Allen fan.  He's also prone to defend QB/decisions.

Let's see what all-22 shows tomorrow, and revisit.  We will have a perfect view/angle to observe.  Still won't know the "hot read"/read that Gabe and Josh have with that defensive look... but will see if the post was even open.  I'm still in the opinion that the Eagles CB took away that route intentionally, and we weren't completing it anyhow given the CB leverage. 

One thing for sure, Billls will start to consider if these "option" routes are worth the risk in critical situations.  It's a heavy focus in our current scheme/Dorseys.

But, but…Playoff Gabe! You don’t watch the games! They don’t always throw to Gabe. 🤬😤

Bills have invested heavily on defense throughout McDermott’s tenure, but nowhere near enough on WR (except for low tier FA’s and lower round draft picks). It royally sucks to have such a great QB, with a group of garbage WR’s outside of Diggs. 

1 minute ago, Jerry Jabber said:

But, but…Playoff Gabe! You don’t watch the games! They don’t always throw to Gabe. 🤬😤

Bills have invested heavily on defense throughout McDermott’s tenure, but nowhere near enough on WR (except for low tier FA’s and lower round draft picks). It royally sucks to have such a great QB, with a group of garbage WR’s outside of Diggs. 

Dude is holding onto the past harder than Baby Billy 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

No it wasn't just two players "making a call." Choice routes are very specifically designed in advance to go one way based on the defensive call. On an all out blitz the WR is supposed to go inside. That's why Josh threw it there as soon as he saw the blitz. Romo explained this during the game... And then the broadcast showed Diggs explaining it to a frustrated Davis on the sideline... This was a case of a player that is known for in-game focus issues losing focus, and costing his team a game winning TD as a result.

I don't necessarily disagree. That said, however, please explain how Gabe was to run his route inside when the DB has inside leverage. What gabe did was to run away from the DB he had beaten deep. If he runs inside he's moving in the general direction of the DB who then might have a play on the ball.

5 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Frankly I wish they'd stop doing any choice routes with Davis. Allen and him don't see the game the same way and it costs them far too often with picks, "intentional groundings," and now a surefire touchdown. It's very easy

Gabe should of been able to see that there was no one over the middle and taken the space as he did against KC multiple times. Instead he chose to actively make it a tougher throw for Josh by going to the pylon which meant he'd have to float it over the DB.

But didn’t Allen say a while back that Gabe was the smartest WR he had played with?

7 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I have trouble seeing how Gabe is not to blame on that ot play specifically…if you beat your man quick like that you shouldn’t be running a corner route to bring the sideline into play 

not sure about any of the others though 

He would have to turn back into the defender who had inside coverage. He would basically give up being open. 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah he is a dumb player, I don't know a more respectful way to say it.

If we had signed DeAndre Hopkins in the offseason I think we would have a minimum of 3 more wins right now. Brandon Beane completely failed his franchise's biggest investment.

You don't know what went on between Beane and DeAndre Hopkins.

Though, you can surmise from how things have played out: DeAndre is WR1 in Tennessee, he had little interest in being Buffalo WR2, splitting touches with Diggs and whoever was going play slot-type WR (that turned out to be Kincaid).

3 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Gabe makes the right route he’s a hero. But Gabe came up small when his future was on the line. Someone will pay big $ for a guy who clearly lacks talent and now hate to say it, low football IQ. 

I doubt it. A lot of GMs will see that missed route from last night.

12 hours ago, FireChans said:

At least once per game, except maybe last week when he didn't have a target.

Unreliable WR's are bad. Trent Sherfield and Gabe aren't it.

Sherfield should never see the field again after yesterday.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

The d back had his back turned.  He was beat no matter where davis went, the play has a built in option if the safety vacates the area and there is pressure.

it was obvious as it gets, the eagles brought pressure, Allen has no time to wait for a corner route, with pressure and the safety out of the middle and the corner with his back turned the ball goes inside.  Every damn time.  

its no different than tight ends who run dig routes and the break goes to where they have leverage or an inside wr breaking off a route to a quick slant because of pressure leaving the middle of the field wide open.

It was elementary stuff.  That is why the damn option is built into those plays, for that exact situation.  As soon as allen snapped the ball and he saw pressure, the safety moved and the corners back to him he did what he was supposed to do.

Thank you for this. It was an option route and the read is the safety, not the CB leverage. Going to the corner puts the CB between the receiver and the QB no matter what the leverage was but takes the safety out of the equation. As it was an all out blitz and the safety vacated the middle of the field Davis should have just ran a go route. Davis has a great game up to that point but he is prone to misreading the option routes and it burned them again this time. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, cgg716 said:

I think it's pretty clearly Gabe at fault here, cover zero vacates the middle. Josh threw to the vacancy. Football 101

He was wide open in the corner of the end zone. I think Allen was rushed and through it right after Davis broke.   This is the downside of option routes.  Did they talk about it postgame?

and I know what Davis is. He’s an inconsistent number 3 who is forced be a number 2 who will get overpaid for what he is. My main point is there were plenty of other plays to be blamed and it seems a little harsh to pile on a guy who was one of the best players on the field because of an option route. 

35 minutes ago, boater said:

You don't know what went on between Beane and DeAndre Hopkins.

Though, you can surmise from how things have played out: DeAndre is WR1 in Tennessee, he had little interest in being Buffalo WR2, splitting touches with Diggs and whoever was going play slot-type WR (that turned out to be Kincaid).

I doubt it. A lot of GMs will see that missed route from last night.

Haha, do you think this is the only time an option route has been messed up? 

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He was wide open in the corner of the end zone. I think Allen was rushed and through it right after Davis broke.   This is the downside of option routes.  Did they talk about it postgame?

and I know what Davis is. He’s an inconsistent number 3 who is forced be a number 2 who will get overpaid for what he is. My main point is there were plenty of other plays to be blamed and it seems a little harsh to pile on a guy who was one of the best players on the field because of an option route. 

Haha, do you think this is the only time an option route has been messed up? 

Under that pressure, Allen can't necessarily see open in the corner, what he does know though, is which area of the field that pressure vacates, which is where Gabe should be, he was not 

4 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

Under that pressure, Allen can't necessarily see open in the corner, what he does know though, is which area of the field that pressure vacates, which is where Gabe should be, he was not 

Again, and certainly not blaming Allen, I believe it was an option route. It seemed like the d back was inside leverage so Davis going outside, would have been a wide open td. 

I don’t listen to postgame but would love to hear the actual players and coach talk about what happened there. 

14 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Again, and certainly not blaming Allen, I believe it was an option route. It seemed like the d back was inside leverage so Davis going outside, would have been a wide open td. 

I don’t listen to postgame but would love to hear the actual players and coach talk about what happened there. 

The D had literally no one center of the field from what I saw on the replay. Gabe got past the DB who had stumbled and due to the blitz, the Eagles had 1 guy spying about 2 yards off the line.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

The d back had his back turned.  He was beat no matter where davis went, the play has a built in option if the safety vacates the area and there is pressure.

it was obvious as it gets, the eagles brought pressure, Allen has no time to wait for a corner route, with pressure and the safety out of the middle and the corner with his back turned the ball goes inside.  Every damn time.  

its no different than tight ends who run dig routes and the break goes to where they have leverage or an inside wr breaking off a route to a quick slant because of pressure leaving the middle of the field wide open.

It was elementary stuff.  That is why the damn option is built into those plays, for that exact situation.  As soon as allen snapped the ball and he saw pressure, the safety moved and the corners back to him he did what he was supposed to do.

This is 100% the correct answer

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

Dude is holding onto the past harder than Baby Billy 

When I called out Davis in the offseason, those were some of the replies I got. Still gotta laugh at those 😂

Davis is what he is, a limited WR that can only run three routes and has inconsistent hands. There’s no way Davis should have been the Bills #2 WR for two years in a row. 

23 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But the DB isn't the read, the safety is

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, cgg716 said:

But the DB isn't the read, the safety is

not to mention he had no leverage.  He was beat at the snap of the ball and was chasing davis with his back turned.

That is a recipe for a td or a PI.  The broncos did it to buffalo two weeks ago and got a cheap PI and ended up winning the game on that drive.

People keep using the word leverage and they are confusing it with position.  The db basically was beat and turned and was chasing. If davis goes inside he has an easy catch looking right at the ball and the d back is again, chasing with his back turned and would probably commit a PI or just be flat out late.

anyway, whatever I guess.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, CNYfan said:

I have loved Gabe, but the drop that led to the interception in the Denver game was when I thought - "I don't think the Bills should give this guy his next contract".  

They won't.  Hopefully someone is dumb enough to give him a huge one for the comp pick...

Edited by Doc

12 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I wonder if Gabe was the hot read, or was it elsewhere.

in this case, I use the terminology loosely for ease of typing and communicating concepts. He almost certainly needed to read the blitz and vacated center of the field. It would be surprising if he got that one right 

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Davis was at fault, he knew it and even reacted to his own mistake on the sideline.  It’s also why so many players went to console him.  It’s not a question of who was on fault 

Yup. I will also add, that the safety bailed, and the middle of the field was completely open. Should've been an easy read and easy TD. I hate to say it, but it was beyond dumb by Gabe. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.