USA Today article on the current Bills situation and coach McD in particular

CodeMonkey

2 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

That’s because they all copy each others opinions, rather than thinking for themselves.  

....or they all could be right because they see the exact same things (failings) we as fans see.  Anyone who thinks McDermott will magically take this team to another level is delusional. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 18
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

3 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

I didn't write it so don't shoot the messenger.  But outside of Buffalo homer media it is a not-uncommon theme..

It is why many call USA Today "McPaper".

3 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

That’s because they all copy each others opinions, rather than thinking for themselves.  

Well I guess that is better than when Jerry "Sulky" Sullivan would write articles before games.

Edited by Limeaid
typo
  • Like (+1) 1

I mean, to be fair:

Sean McDermott’s clueless answer about the Bills’ offensive pace is precisely why they’re doomed

Isn't exactly a hot take, and we've all been saying the exact same thing all week

It bothers me that he couldnt even give lip service to the notion that what they are doing isn't working

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

That counts as an article?

That was clickbait dross from the horrible mechanized news platform of the US Today world. The organization has destroyed journalism. This is a solid case for it.

I'd expect this on a slide show on Bleacher Report 10 years ago or MSN headline 5 years ago.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 2

7 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

I didn't write it so don't shoot the messenger.  But outside of Buffalo homer media it is a not-uncommon theme..

Nothing earth shattering here but outside of Buffalo most of these pundits and talking heads knows that McD is pretty much a 'never was' and needs to be replaced.

I thought once the national media turned against the Bills they'd finally start playing better but unfortunately hasn't been the case.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Likely he pays to be published.

The USA today network does pay contributors. It can vary from clicks to the article, to a minimum $$ for stories per week, etc.

USA uses the device of pushing stories out fast and frequently. The more they put out the more clicks they make.

They buy a lot of local newspapers in small towns and standardize them. Over time they'll put one editor over a series of papers in the area and share only brief stories of local interests. Those local stories are usually just friends and cronies to the journalists themselves. 

Most journalists are scummy.

There are national voices saying the same thing  Adam Schein, Chris’s Simms, Mike Florio….sometimes you wonder if McDermott isn’t just Marvin Lewis’s long lost cousin. 
Still he does get credit for what hes built here it’s just there is certain coaches who can build a team and certain coaches that win you a championship.

I posted it about a year ago but it is very much like the comparison of Doug Collins to Phill Jackson with the old Chicago Bulls….one built the team and changed the culture …one got them over the hump…right now Sean is Doug Collins 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

20 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

....or they all could be right because they see the exact same things (failings) we as fans see.  Anyone who thinks McDermott will magically take this team to another level is delusional. 

It’s funny to me how many people get butt hurt by stating the obvious. Most people have finally accepted what McD is, but there are still a few that won’t admit it. 

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, dorquemada said:

I mean, to be fair:

Sean McDermott’s clueless answer about the Bills’ offensive pace is precisely why they’re doomed

Isn't exactly a hot take, and we've all been saying the exact same thing all week

It bothers me that he couldnt even give lip service to the notion that what they are doing isn't working

Why would you expect McDermott to throw one of his coaches under the bus in public?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Dislike 1

19 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Why would you expect McDermott to throw one of his coaches under the bus in public?

I wouldn't but what the author of this article didn't really address was to what extent are these offensive moves part of McD's grand design over how he expects Dorsey and the O to compliment his D? 

A few weeks ago I would have said that McD was allowing Dorsey to run the O with minimum interference and that the inexperienced Bills OC was learning as he went and offensive production would improve as time went by. But recent McD comments in both written articles and on the field/post game interviews have caused me to consider that Dorsey is trying to do exactly what McD wants him to do.  And IMO that changes everything.

Thinking back to the off season the constant drum beat out of One Bills Drive of "Allen must run less" and "take what the D is giving him" takes on new meaning.  I thought at the time i was overstated given that the team had finished 13 - 3, won the Division, won a playoff game and lost in the Divisional round as much because of bad D as bad O.  Particularly when you consider that the O was in the top 3 of every important statistical category.

I now have to consider what increasingly the evidence pints to:  the offensive struggles we're seeing today are the direct result of the strategic & tactical decisions made by McD/Bean in the off season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I love the opening sentence, "Let’s strip away all on-field results from the 2023 Buffalo Bills for a second."

This is how you create a false narrative. Whether it is politics, at work, or socially, the way to misguide and absolve yourself of being incorrect is to establish a paradigm that eliminates facts that contradict your point. Laughable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I wouldn't but what the author of this article didn't really address was to what extent are these offensive moves part of McD's grand design over how he expects Dorsey and the O to compliment his D? 

A few weeks ago I would have said that McD was allowing Dorsey to run the O with minimum interference and that the inexperienced Bills OC was learning as he went and offensive production would improve as time went by. But recent McD comments in both written articles and on the field/post game interviews have caused me to consider that Dorsey is trying to do exactly what McD wants him to do.  And IMO that changes everything.

Thinking back to the off season the constant drum beat out of One Bills Drive of "Allen must run less" and "take what the D is giving him" takes on new meaning.  I thought at the time i was overstated given that the team had finished 13 - 3, won the Division, won a playoff game and lost in the Divisional round as much because of bad D as bad O.  Particularly when you consider that the O was in the top 3 of every important statistical category.

I now have to consider what increasingly the evidence pints to:  the offensive struggles we're seeing today are the direct result of the strategic & tactical decisions made by McD/Bean in the off season.

I think the decision to limit the QB run game (designed and scramble) is a strategic decision by McDermott, yes, and strongly influences the offensive tactics during the game as well as the way defenses prepare and play us.

I think within that framework, Dorsey has a lot of autonomy.  Part of the issue, IMO, is sheer WR talent.  The Bills don't have the WR talent (IMO) that they had in 2020 with Diggs, Brown (and Gabe subbing in), and Beasley; and in 2021 with Diggs, Sanders (and Gabe subbing in) and Beasley.  Even McKenzie, much as he was a whipping boy here and contracts not withstanding, is looking like a more talented #4/gadget guy than Hardy is showing so far.

Then there's Allen's in-game decision making, which is vexing at times.

The thing is, other top offenses manage to cope without running their QB 6x/game for 45-50 ypg.  But where that's true, they may have better talent at WR/OL.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Nothing earth shattering here but outside of Buffalo most of these pundits and talking heads knows that McD is pretty much a 'never was' and needs to be replaced.

I thought once the national media turned against the Bills they'd finally start playing better but unfortunately hasn't been the case.

No it hasn't been the case because I think the entire offense,  especially Diggs & Allen are fed up with McD dicking around with this ridiculous mid season experimentation.  The up tempo works dumbass, so let Dorsey (in all his mediocre glory) run it. Give this offense a fighting chance to outscore teams or at least establish a 1st half lead.  It's not like this injury riddled D will be shutting people down.  These next 2 games will determine Sean's longevity with this team.

• Agree 1

On 11/9/2023 at 9:26 AM, CodeMonkey said:

I sort of agree with Sean.  Having an up tempo no-huddle offense might score quicker but it usually leaves the defense on the field longer.  We would see that in the Kelly years where the defense would be on the field for like 35-40 minutes.  

Sure that team won a lot of games but how many Super Bowls did they win again?

Yes, if this team’s offense is better at a faster pace, they could score more points.  I’m just saying it can backfire if the defense gets tired.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/10/2023 at 9:14 AM, whorlnut said:

It’s funny to me how many people get butt hurt by stating the obvious. Most people have finally accepted what McD is, but there are still a few that won’t admit it. 

I’ve been staying away from Bills news and conversation more than usual these days. I’ve been a McD fan since he’s gotten here, but things are headed in the wrong direction. The quality of this article is irrelevant, I can’t help but feel we’ve peaked under McD. This reminds me of the days when people got upset when you said Holcomb, Edwards, Losman, Fitz, Manuel, and Orton weren’t the answer at QB. Everyone denies it now, but some people genuinely thought those guys were the answer. Anyone who thinks McD is still the answer is in for the same disappointment imo. I hope I’m wrong. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/10/2023 at 6:39 AM, Beck Water said:

....you're right...he strategically waits till the end of the season before he runs him over with the bus.

14 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I’ve been staying away from Bills news and conversation more than usual these days. I’ve been a McD fan since he’s gotten here, but things are headed in the wrong direction. The quality of this article is irrelevant, I can’t help but feel we’ve peaked under McD. This reminds me of the days when people got upset when you said Holcomb, Edwards, Losman, Fitz, Manuel, and Orton weren’t the answer at QB. Everyone denies it now, but some people genuinely thought those guys were the answer. Anyone who thinks McD is still the answer is in for the same disappointment imo. I hope I’m wrong. 

It only took 2-3 years to realize how bad those qbs were. With McDermott,  it's like Terry and the fanboys give him a lifetime pass for getting us out of the drought.  Terry will have to get slapped in the face a couple more times before he realizes McD's obvious limitations. 

• Agree 2

On 11/10/2023 at 10:09 AM, RochesterLifer said:

I love the opening sentence, "Let’s strip away all on-field results from the 2023 Buffalo Bills for a second."

This is how you create a false narrative. Whether it is politics, at work, or socially, the way to misguide and absolve yourself of being incorrect is to establish a paradigm that eliminates facts that contradict your point. Laughable.

So take a way the barely over .500 record because that somehow would make McD look BETTER?

On 11/9/2023 at 1:44 PM, boyst said:

That was clickbait dross from the horrible mechanized news platform of the US Today world. The organization has destroyed journalism. This is a solid case for it.

I'd expect this on a slide show on Bleacher Report 10 years ago or MSN headline 5 years ago.

Faux news has given a pretty large contribution to the lack of journalism, if not the biggest. 

• Eyeroll 1

I see where ‘Ms. McDermott’ is keeping more healthy enough players out of the game. Micah Hyde knocked over a guy? ‘Sit and get better’. This disaster of a season is more about ‘Sean-ie’ McDermott resting key players who can play, than trying to win. 

I’m sick of his crap! I thought wrestlers were supposed to be tough..

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Spiderweb said:

Faux news has given a pretty large contribution to the lack of journalism, if not the biggest. 

Even if so, not the same way. I am not making this a partisan issue.

Gannett and USA today went in and bought small newspapers across the country. Local newspapers with decent staff sizes and important influence. Particularly in the south. They laid off senior staff and replaced them with regionalized younger "journalists" who choose from a rotisserie of headlines and images. What maybe a headline and image in one towns paper owned by Gannett has an entire different headline and image but same story the next town over. In some cases I have seen the same author with the same story only slightly edited. It'll be a matter of time before their machine just uses AI.

The local paper of my county is the county seat. They employ 6 people today. They had 30+ 15 years ago. Their editor is 112 miles away and visits the city every 2 weeks. He shares 9 papers outside of the 3 in his own nearer vicinity.

Their content has lacked for a decade with plug and play narratives, stories, and fodder.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/11/2023 at 7:29 AM, BobbyC81 said:

I sort of agree with Sean.  Having an up tempo no-huddle offense might score quicker but it usually leaves the defense on the field longer.  We would see that in the Kelly years where the defense would be on the field for like 35-40 minutes.  

Sure that team won a lot of games but how many Super Bowls did they win again?

Yes, if this team’s offense is better at a faster pace, they could score more points.  I’m just saying it can backfire if the defense gets tired.

Fine then how about people stop blaming Allen & the Offense when they don't produce enough points to win the game?  At a certain level I don't disagree with what you're saying but consider exactly what McD is asking:

*  He wants the O to operate in a manner that they are not very good at.  In a manner they were not built for. 

*  And McD is asking this of an offense that has been treated like a red headed step child in FA & the draft over the last 5 seasons.  An offense that has not been prioritized until this seasons draft.

Seems to me that you do what you can with the D and allow the O to operate in a fashion that is most likely to produce points.  The alternative as we have plainly seen is not working.

On 11/10/2023 at 9:39 AM, Beck Water said:

That’s literally all that line was and it’s pretty obvious lol it also is making me chuckle that people think McDermott just invented the phrase ‘complimentary football’ and it somehow means we don’t want to move the ball as quickly on offense 😂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.