NFL Needs to Recognize Pre-Super Bowl Era

mjt328

One of my frustrations with the NFL, is the refusal to recognize championships from before Super Bowl I occurred.

Professional football in the NFL goes back to 1920.  Not 1967.

Here are some facts that not everyone may know:

The Green Bay Packers have actually won more championships (13 overall) than both the New England Patriots and Pittsburgh Steelers combined.

The Chicago Bears have the second-most championships (9) out of anyone in the NFL.

Several teams who have never won a Super Bowl, have actually won multiple championships before that era began.  They include the Cleveland Browns (4), Detroit Lions (4), Buffalo Bills (2) and Tennessee Titans/Houston Oilers (2).  As a fan of the Bills, I know the frustration that exists over never hoisting the Lombardi Trophy and awful feeling like they will never get it done.  I often wonder if some of that could be alleviated if the NFL would just acknowledge more than 56 years of league history.

The Bills last championship was in 1965.  They have two overall.

The New York Jets last championship was in 1969.  They have one overall.

The Miami Dolphins last championship was in 1974.  They have two overall.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Dislike 2

4 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

One of my frustrations with the NFL, is the refusal to recognize championships from before Super Bowl I occurred.

The Green Bay Packers have actually won more championships (13 overall) than both the New England Patriots and Pittsburgh Steelers combined.

The Chicago Bears have the second-most championships (9) out of anyone in the NFL.

Several teams who have never won a Super Bowl, have actually won multiple championships before that era began.  They include the Cleveland Browns (4), Detroit Lions (4), Buffalo Bills (2) and Tennessee Titans/Houston Oilers (2).  As a fan of the Bills, I know the frustration that exists over never hoisting the Lombardi Trophy and awful feeling like they will never get it done.  I often wonder if some of that could be alleviated if the NFL would just acknowledge more than 56 years of league history.

So do we count the AAFC which had multiple future NFL teams (just like the AFL). If so, the Browns have 4 more championships.  Then you see teams like the Frankford Yellow Jackets and Providence Steam Rollers in the NFL. 

I love the history of the game. I understand why they want a degree of uniformity and they accomplish that by using the word Championship vs Super Bowl. If the word is championship, nobody will dismiss what you're outlining. If the word is Super Bowl, we are talking about a specific title that didn't occur until the late 60's. 

• Like (+1) 1

They talk about this stuff all the time. Turn in NFL network in the summer and you’ll likely see old Jim Brown footage, the Ice Bowl and Frank Gifford in the Greatest Game Ever Played. In another thread today, I wondered how badly the 1964 Bills would have been beaten by the NFL champion Browns in a hypothetical Superbowl -3.

14 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I want the 1925 Pottsville Maroons to get credit for the NFL Championship they won and rightfully deserve recognition for!

:censored:

:lol:

What about the 1921 Buffalo All-Americans, staring player-coach Tommy Hughitt. They was robbed too. This guy can play for my squad any day.

220px-Tommy_Hughitt_1912.jpg

Edited by FrenchConnection
  • Haha (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

No Fun League then, No Fun League now!  Lots of people turned off the radio and stopped listening after that BS.

I'm sure there were a lot of afternoon daily newspapers prematurely thrown in the trash by Maroons fans.  

14 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

What about the 1921 Buffalo All-Americans, staring player-coach Tommy Hughitt. They was robbed too. This guy can play for my squad any day.

What the heck was Warren Harding doing back then aside from covering up his affair?

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, nucci said:

Not sure how an AFL championship can help alleviate 4 Superbowl losses in a row

Make that two AFL championships in a row. We were the best in the world. Also, four SB losses in a row means four AFC championships in a row, something no team has ever done. People need to start respecting the great history of our organization.

#BillsMafia

#OneBuffalo

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

you got a link showing how the NFL does not acknowledge their own league champs throughout history?  

The NFL obviously did not include the AFL before the merger, so why would the NFL focus on another league's champs? Should they also acknowledge the XFL and USFL champs?

18 minutes ago, chongli said:

Make that two AFL championships in a row. We were the best in the world. Also, four SB losses in a row means four AFC championships in a row, something no team has ever done. People need to start respecting the great history of our organization.

#BillsMafia

#OneBuffalo

I'm aware of all this and we were never the best in the world. Not downplaying AFC championships but the goal is to win the Superbowl and we lost 4 in a row...something no team has ever done.

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

It was a completely different league.  Should they recognize USFL and XFL as well?

I think the NFL does a good job of recognizing the history of the AFL and its impact on the development of what the NFL is now, but there is no reason to recognize the championships.

The USFL and XFL NEVER MERGED WITH THE NFL, so this is a BS argument. The Jets won Super Bowl III and the Chiefs won Super Bowl IV.

Mike Garrett, Len Dawson, Otis Taylor and Buck Buchanan were all AFL stars who played for the Chiefs in 1966 who won Super Bowl IV.

You can't treat the AFL like an also ran league of bums and call yourself a Bills fan.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Well, NFL Championships are not the same as Superbowl Championships. They correlate to NFC and AFC championships today.

The Superbowl is a very specific thing. It is the game that two championship teams play against each other. It did not exist before 1967.

• Like (+1) 1

The start of the Superbowl was/is a pretty serious delineation (I mean the Browns and Lions traded championships for years prior to the Superbowl).   The NFL Champions prior to that are recognized.  Usually you talk in terms of a teams' Superbowl Championships.  If the just say Championships and omit pre-merger days, then they are wrong and should be bopped.

Jim Brown, Otto Graham, Bobby Layne, Frank Gifford, etc are all relevant and they all count.  

AFL Championships should not be viewed on the same plane as NFL Championships.

• Dislike 2

4 hours ago, nucci said:

Tangential to that, Nuch, are we the only team to every lose 4 deciding championships in a row?

The Dodgers while in Brooklyn are the only team that comes to mind that might have lost three world series in a row, and I am not even sure about that.

EDIT:  New York Giants lost the World series in 1911, 1912 and 1913.

EDIT 2:  Detroit Tigers lost three straight in 1907, 1908 and 1909.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

I believe the NFL adopted all of the AFL team records and statistics, but I don’t know how they could recognize the AFL champions because it conflicts with the NFL concurrent champions. Anything prior to about the mid-1980s is ancient history for most of the current fan base. 

7 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Let’s get a relevant championship from this century. Superbowl or doesn’t count!

Well if that's a bar, then the Cowboys and Dolphins suck too. That makes me feel a little bit better.

11 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

They guys need to avenge their 0-1 pro NFL record. 

http://blog.buffalostories.com/tag/tonawanda-kardex/
35940492_1.jpg

Lace up the helmets and let's go boys. Let's beat em like we did the Kaiser!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Pre-merger “NFL” is not the NFL.

5 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Well if that's a bar, then the Cowboys and Dolphins suck too. That makes me feel a little bit better.

Lace up the helmets and let's go boys. Let's beat em like we did the Kaiser!

over the edge, into the breach!!!

🎵It’s a long way, to Tipperarryyyyy… 🎶

Individual teams can recognize their pre-Super Bowl championships, but the league shouldn't elevate those to the same level of actual Super Bowl championships.

With only 10 teams & 10 seasons (more like 6 seasons before the merger & Super Bowl started being played between the leagues), its titles aren't quite on that same level. Same can be said with the NFL though, with only 16 teams at the time but a longer history. 

Even worse, counting AFL championships on the same level would give the Chiefs 1 extra championship, unless you want to give them 2, since they won the AFL championship in 1969 before going on to win the "AFL-NFL World Championship" (Super Bowl IV) that same year. I won't stand for that! 😉

****AFC/NFC Championship Game Rant Below****

All that being said, I think the NFL does a pretty good job recognizing pre-SB era history, AFL included. The only other thing I'd like to see is conference championship games elevated to higher status somehow. I know most people will disagree with me, but hosting them at a neutral site (as was planned last season if the Bills advanced in the AFC), and include all the pagentry/celebratory stuff that would honor such a great achievement. I want conferences to matter more, almost like the AFL vs NFL days. Instead of them just being a footnote for the eventual Super Bowl winner, make it something worth recognizing (like baseball has done). 

On 11/9/2023 at 10:30 AM, nucci said:

Especially when hardly anyone younger than 70 would even have had any cognizance of that era, much less specifically our AFL championships.  

On 11/9/2023 at 11:31 AM, BillsVet said:

I want the 1925 Pottsville Maroons to get credit for the NFL Championship they won and rightfully deserve recognition for!

:censored:

:lol:

Ironically they beat Buffalo 28-0 that season.  

On 11/9/2023 at 11:43 AM, FrenchConnection said:

What's with that pose?  

Good caption pic.  

:D 

On 11/9/2023 at 10:26 AM, mjt328 said:

I like this, if they can’t win a superbowl, let’s revise history to make them retroactive winners. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.