National media are starting to grind their collective axes

Thunderstruck

3 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

The same post-game clichés aren't going to cut it anymore. There haven't been any answers coming from this coaching staff, and the people who know football are taking notice and calling this absurdity out. The definition of "insanity", many have said, is doing the same things over and over and expecting different results.

We love this team. We deserve better. What I would really love to know is whether this is a case of McDermott blindly continuing to support "his guy" or if McDermott, himself, is the one who is dictating the style of offense in an attempt to prop up his faltering (yes- also injury ravaged) defense.

Mcdermott said injuries on defense dictate philosophy on offense so yes he confirmed it.

I'll say this, McDermott was dead set on Tyrod staying his qb in 17 when he was playing terribly. Then 3 days later came out and said they were starting Peterman. We all know how that went, so McDermott could be hesitant to do anything for that reason, or maybe McDermott is still bold enough to so somethjng drastic. Who knows. Either way, if they come out Monday night and look terrible again, this season is over. I'm legit expecting them to be terrible Monday. My confidence is borderline non existent 

• Like (+1) 2

Are some of you these sensitive in your daily lives? Because that would be absolutely exhausting. I’d argue no team except maybe the Chiefs have been so positively talked in the media than the Bills. We were like media darlings for the last 5 years. There are been so many positive things write/ said about the Bills and Buffalo, more than I can ever remember.

they are supposed to be SB contenders and have look very mid this year. Are they just supposed to say they are awesome? Personally, I think media is kinda of a joke job anyways but to get mad at them for saying the truth after years of kissing our butts is wild. 

but since we only have like 8 prime time games, it’s clear the media has it out for us!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Mcdermott said injuries on defense dictate philosophy on offense so yes he confirmed it.

Granted- I'm not a NFL coach, but I just feel like I would rather run an offense that scores 35 points a game and take my chances with some guys on defense getting tired or rotating in some backups when players need a breather. Scoring 20 points a game and hoping these backups can hold the other team to 19 points doesn't appear to be working out all that well.

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Are some of you these sensitive in your daily lives? Because that would be absolutely exhausting. I’d argue no team except maybe the Chiefs have been so positively talked in the media than the Bills. We were like media darlings for the last 5 years. There are been so many positive things write/ said about the Bills and Buffalo, more than I can ever remember.

they are supposed to be SB contenders and have look very mid this year. Are they just supposed to say they are awesome? Personally, I think media is kinda of a joke job anyways but to get mad at them for saying the truth after years of kissing our butts is wild. 

but since we only have like 8 prime time games, it’s clear the media has it out for us!

Did you watch the video or read any of the posts in this thread? Not trying to be rude here. I just don't understand how you came to the conclusion that anyone in this thread has asserted that.

2 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Granted- I'm not a NFL coach, but I just feel like I would rather run an offense that scores 35 points a game and take my chances with some guys on defense getting tired or rotating in some backups when players need a breather. Scoring 20 points a game and hoping these backups can hold the other team to 19 points doesn't appear to be working out all that well.

Did you watch the video or read any of the posts in this thread? Not trying to be rude here. I just don't understand how you came to the conclusion that anyone in this thread has asserted that.

Nope! Like most, I just reacted to the headline!!!

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Nope! Like most, I just reacted to the headline!!!

ok- I will, again, explain the semantics of the headline. I did not say that they "have an axe to grind" with the Bills. I said that they are "grinding their axes", meaning sharpening their axes, meaning that they are suggesting that it might be time to cut the head off from this offense.

Maybe I need to change the thread title to "sharpening their axes" so people don't get so hung up on confusing this with the media "having an axe to grind"?

Just now, Thunderstruck said:

ok- I will, again, explain the semantics of the headline. I did not say that they "have an axe to grind" with the Bills. I said that they are "grinding their axes", meaning sharpening their axes, meaning that they are suggesting that it might be time to cut the head off from this offense.

Maybe I need to change the thread title to "sharpening their axes" so people don't get so hung up on confusing this with the media "having an axe to grind"?

My bad. Thanks for clarify. Just on break and checking quickly. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

The national media are a bunch of goofballs. These are the same media who are shocked reporters are asking BB about his job security and if he is coaching for his job on Sunday. 

Florio, sure. But not Simms. He’s obviously very knowledgeable and connected. He’s also been a huge Allen fan. I was not aware that prior to the season he picked the Bills to miss the playoffs. That’s both shocking and very telling. He obviously saw the severity of the issues with the team. To put my surprise into perspective I predicted that we’d see the same this year as in the recent past - playoffs with wins until we lost to the first real contender we played. Regardless of injuries on the defensive side of the ball, missing the playoffs entirely should be the end of this Bills regime - if that comes to pass. 

Edited to add: The pity from Florio is also telling. Jeebus. “I’d hate to be a Bills fan right now.” Ouch. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

There are more than enough issues to implicate both.  

Time for a changing of the guard.  This stuff was predictable.  Anyone not seeing it coming wasn't paying much attention to it, understandably, yet nonetheless.  

Once McD is gone, it's likely that we'll start hearing about how difficult it was to work with him and how stubborn he was.  Just an educated guess there.  

At the end of the day, just as McD did with Peterman, he's also doing with Dorsey.  This time it seems to be the straw that broke the camel's back.  It's difficult to ignore and puts his incompetence on full display.  Dorsey is s fully his choice and he's standing by him.  

His own pressers and statements are merely him icing his own cake.  

McD is the head coach, and it's become clear to most now that he's reached his ceiling.  He was never a great DC to begin with.  Many have simply convinced themselves that he was.  

We see what he is as a HC.  

It's going to be interesting to see what happens, as Pegula has given both him and Beane, also inextricably a significant part of the problem, extensions for marketing purposes, specifically so that what's happening now wouldn't happen.  But it has.  So it will be interesting to see what happens now from that angle in the interest of selling crazy expensive STs to the new stadium, with PSLs.  

I know this has been talked about forever but the 13 seconds and how it was handled, not just on the field, but the aftermath. They buried their head in the sand and wouldn’t take accountability or make necessary changes. They slowed walked Frazier out the door after another freakin year and then went the easy route by promoting a very inexperienced Dorsey.

I’m convinced Mcd, and Beane for that matter, are risk averse. You see it in the game management, play calling, staff management, etc. You can’t keep doing the same thing and expect different results. I’m totally with you that McD hit his ceiling - I think he hit on the 13 seconds and has been banging it repeatedly since then.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, the media is calling it as they see it. I can't be mad about it. This team has a ton of flaws. I felt that way coming into the season, and the injuries made it even worse. 

We needed a shakeup in the off season, and did not do one, and now the team is looking like what it is, old and tired. It reminds me of The Bills 1994 season, after losing their 4th straight SB, they looked drained and tired and had a season like we are having now. Missed the playoffs that year too, for the first time in years. Had a little bit of a reset the following year and lost to Pittsburgh in the divisional, but we all know what happened after that.

I think Beane is great at his job.  He’s given McDermott everything he’s asked for and gotten him a franchise QB.  In spite of this McDermott has puked all over himself in the playoffs the last 4 years blowing a 16 point lead in Houston, his defense crapping the bed at KC in 2020, 13 seconds enough said, and his team getting embarrassed at home by Cincy last year.  Beane is more highly thought of in NFL circles than mcdermott.  

National media likes to pile on good or bad.

Right now Bills are a SuperBowl contender that is underachieving.

They do the same thing with the Cowboys and the Packers when they had Rodgers.

Honestly can you blame them? We've lost to the Jets and Pats two teams that are bottom feeders. 

Does this mean the season is over? Probably not. It might be with a loss in either of the two upcoming games, but right now if they take care of business the next two weeks they will be in the playoff hunt right up until the end.

Does it mean they can't get hot and win a SuperBowl come playoff time. No of course not. 

What it means is the hot seat for McDermott at least on the national stage will start to intensify. Does that mean anything to Pegula or Beane? Probably not. No one on here even thinks Beane could fire McD even if he wanted to. 

All that said, if they lose at home on national TV to Denver and a coach that most of this board including me would easily switch for McDermott, this place will explode and so will the national media. 

The Peterman decision was the most  bizarre of the McD era. To think that McD actually based his decision on the fact that Peterman was a nice guy or good Christian and not on skill, readiness or possible game intelligence makes it even more perplexing. 13 seconds though is the by far the most telling failure of the McD era. Not squib kicking the KO and the defense that was called against Mahomes was insane.  Now in 2023 we are faced with a tough situation caused by injuries and compounded by inept coaching and game management (Dorsey and McD himself). Does anyone trust McD to fire Dorsey who has proven himself not up to the job? or trust him and his defense to make a stop with the game on the line against good teams (like last Sunday)? I have no faith in him any more. The only positive I can see is if the players win for the team because they are going to have to do it on their own. The coaches dont make it easier for them to do it, they make it harder.

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

I'll say this, McDermott was dead set on Tyrod staying his qb in 17 when he was playing terribly. Then 3 days later came out and said they were starting Peterman. We all know how that went, so McDermott could be hesitant to do anything for that reason, or maybe McDermott is still bold enough to so somethjng drastic. Who knows. Either way, if they come out Monday night and look terrible again, this season is over. I'm legit expecting them to be terrible Monday. My confidence is borderline non existent 

Yeah McDermott seems like a very virtuous man, to his credit. Unfortunately, he also seems to feel that devotion (even if it is to something or someone that isn't working out) is a virtue. This seems to be a part of who he is, so it might be a difficult thing for him to change.

3 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

I don't agree it's all on coaching and play design. As said in the video the Bills lack playmakers on offense. They have Diggs and Allen.  IMO the Bills focused too much on adding playmakers on defense when they should have done it on offense 

Moving forward you have aging players on D and younger ones that they can’t get consistent play out of so what’s gonna happen? More picks for D and more money spent in FA.  Without Allen this team would be on the verge of tanking and completely rebuilding

I listened to Cowherd on a long drive yesterday talk about how McDermott is Chuck Knox. Cleans up messes, wins a lot of games, but then hits a ceiling. His point is McDermott has hit his ceiling and now the team is going backwards. 

He also compared him to the "organizer" in your family who is great with details, can plan everything out and get everyone on the right page. 

None of that means he's a bad coach or anything, but that he's not as good as many think he is. He's not on the level of the top coaches that the Bills are going to face in the biggest games. 

He called him rigid and stuck in his ways because his ways have gotten him this far. Like Marty Shottenheimer. 

He was pretty spot on, I think. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Florio, sure. But not Simms. He’s obviously very knowledgeable and connected. He’s also been a huge Allen fan. I was not aware that prior to the season he picked the Bills to miss the playoffs. That’s both shocking and very telling. He obviously saw the severity of the issues with the team. To put my surprise into perspective I predicted that we’d see the same this year as in the recent past - playoffs with wins until we lost to the first real contender we played. Regardless of injuries on the defensive side of the ball, missing the playoffs entirely should be the end of this Bills regime - if that comes to pass. 

Edited to add: The pity from Florio is also telling. Jeebus. “I’d hate to be a Bills fan right now.” Ouch. 

He may have figured White and Von Miller would be shells of their former selfs.  I don’t know how anyone could have seen the Bills O playing subpar for the Bills O the last 5 games. 

4 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

From watching the video it feels like they are afraid to go all in like the Rams did. The season after the 13 second game was the year to go all in. Trade a bunch of picks for elite playmakers. Trade for Henry, sign Hopkins and try to win now. As the video says it feels like they are happy with getting to the division round each season. 

You look at teams like the Eagles this season, they see they have a good chance to win this season so they made moves to better their chances. 

The Eagles are an interesting comparison.  I don't think the Eagles ever "went all-in."  I would argue that they've gone down the same path as the Bills, except they've executed better.  The AJ Brown trade was exactly like the Stefon Diggs trade, first round pick for a veteran WR looking for a new contract; it's worked out well for both teams.  The difference is that (1) the Eagles have had a few more high draft picks to use, thanks to the Colts foolishly taking Carson Wentz off their hands; (2) being able to land Hurts with a late second round pick (think he's still on his rookie deal); (3) developing a great offensive line, which has been done without the help of high draft picks, other than Lane Johnson, who's been around forever;  and (4) better coaching, and not being afraid to move on from a previously successful coach who wasn't cutting it.       

Edited by mannc

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

He may have figured White and Von Miller would be shells of their former selfs.  I don’t know how anyone could have seen the Bills O playing subpar for the Bills O the last 5 games. 

Simms is pretty dialed in. He talks to players and may have even seen some TC. He may not have liked what he heard or saw. One thing I would bet heavily against is that he made that prediction on a whim. He had his reasons even if he isn’t sharing them now. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I have a question. There seemed to be an increase in national media down on the Buffalo Bills prior to the season starting. Why? I can’t remember the reasons but there was a lot of talk. Was it just the Jets and Dolphins being good? Was it the drama with Diggs?

I know there were injuries and stuff but I think a lot of it was the way we looked barely squeaking by Miami in the wildcard round and then getting dominated by Cincy in the Divisional round.  Teams are usually judged off of how they finish off a season 

There needs to be a 30/30 on how some of these dudes - Colin Cowherd, Mike Florio, Stephen A. Smith - came to be the Spirit Halloween stores of NFL commentary.  

I need to understand the decision making process to give Florio and Chris Simms a show.  I need to see the person advocating the "pros" side of that list in the conference room.  

8 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

The same post-game clichés aren't going to cut it anymore. There haven't been any answers coming from this coaching staff, and the people who know football are taking notice and calling this absurdity out. The definition of "insanity", many have said, is doing the same things over and over and expecting different results.

We love this team. We deserve better. What I would really love to know is whether this is a case of McDermott blindly continuing to support "his guy" or if McDermott, himself, is the one who is dictating the style of offense in an attempt to prop up his faltering (yes- also injury ravaged) defense.

Remember McDermott was fired by Andy Reid in Philly, and from I have read the Philadelphia media and fans were happy to see him go. Their biggest complaint was that he failed to make in game adjustments and was too stubborn.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, dpberr said:

There needs to be a 30/30 on how some of these dudes - Colin Cowherd, Mike Florio, Stephen A. Smith - came to be the Spirit Halloween stores of NFL commentary.  

I need to understand the decision making process to give Florio and Chris Simms a show.  I need to see the person advocating the "pros" side of that list in the conference room.  

Simple:  "will people tune in?'

Most of the time these talking heads just pick a side to generate back and forth to get clicks.  But they do have perspective on the whole league, and most teams that haven’t gotten to a Super Bowl fail trying to run it back with the same core of aging players.  Edmunds is the only core guy they’ve moved on from and the Bears contract made it a no brainer to move on.  We’re an aging team that hasn’t made it to the Super Bowl, so this years results aren’t that surprising.  

1 minute ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Didn't you just answer your own question?😀

Sort of. :lol:

If it's a Cowherd/Rome/Wright sort of thing I'll move them, but I wanted to be fair in case it's somebody respected with a good reputation (i.e. Dan Orlovsky).

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, mannc said:

Everyone here likes to dump on the national media, with some justification.  But, while national media types of course don’t follow the Bills as closely as we do, guys like Simms know a lot about football and have connections around the league who know even more, and Simms isn’t the only one who’s been saying it.  There has been a consensus developing for the last couple years that the Bills outside of Josh Allen just aren’t a very talented team.  People who have said that stuff here have been shouted down, but we’re starting to see that the national media weren’t wrong. It’s not one thing of course…it’s a roster with really only 2 elite players, combined with uninspired coaching, especially on offense, that has put us in a tough spot. It’s not magically going to come together over these next 8 games…big changes are needed.

So you’re saying McD is such a good coach he can have results like we’ve had the last few years with only two elite players? Dang. Imagine what he could do with a talented team. 5 SBs in a row seems plausible.

Edited by DisplacedBillsFan

11 hours ago, mannc said:

while national media types of course don’t follow the Bills as closely as we do, guys like Simms know a lot about football and have connections around the league who know even more, and Simms isn’t the only one who’s been saying it.  

Agreed. Of all the national media, Simms and Florio are the best, in my opinion. They’re not the ESPN-type-blowhards. 

Love Florio’s comments pointing out that the Bills never push their chips in and go for it. They simply re-tool moderately every year and never go after elite guys to push us over the top. 

I get why they don’t. But I would be lying if I said I wouldn’t love them doing that.

• Agree 1

The nfl used to have some great writers who covered the game.  The pregame shows were good and the newspapers across the country did an excellent job covering the league.

Now we have mike florio, one of the dumbest people i have ever heard talk about the nfl and stephen a smith and many more just like them or worse with  the twitter all 22 people. 

its depressing trying to find professionals who cover the games on monday mornings.  

1 hour ago, chongli said:

I can't wait for Monday come so everyone around here can be happy after our win. This forum is hard to bear after a loss.

[P.S. We still control our own destiny for the division title.]

What do you expect. Outside of 3 games the offense has not been good and the defense has a lot of injuries 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.