National media are starting to grind their collective axes

Thunderstruck

The same post-game clichés aren't going to cut it anymore. There haven't been any answers coming from this coaching staff, and the people who know football are taking notice and calling this absurdity out. The definition of "insanity", many have said, is doing the same things over and over and expecting different results.

We love this team. We deserve better. What I would really love to know is whether this is a case of McDermott blindly continuing to support "his guy" or if McDermott, himself, is the one who is dictating the style of offense in an attempt to prop up his faltering (yes- also injury ravaged) defense.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

There are more than enough issues to implicate both.  

Time for a changing of the guard.  This stuff was predictable.  Anyone not seeing it coming wasn't paying much attention to it, understandably, yet nonetheless.  

Once McD is gone, it's likely that we'll start hearing about how difficult it was to work with him and how stubborn he was.  Just an educated guess there.  

At the end of the day, just as McD did with Peterman, he's also doing with Dorsey.  This time it seems to be the straw that broke the camel's back.  It's difficult to ignore and puts his incompetence on full display.  Dorsey is s fully his choice and he's standing by him.  

His own pressers and statements are merely him icing his own cake.  

McD is the head coach, and it's become clear to most now that he's reached his ceiling.  He was never a great DC to begin with.  Many have simply convinced themselves that he was.  

We see what he is as a HC.  

It's going to be interesting to see what happens, as Pegula has given both him and Beane, also inextricably a significant part of the problem, extensions for marketing purposes, specifically so that what's happening now wouldn't happen.  But it has.  So it will be interesting to see what happens now from that angle in the interest of selling crazy expensive STs to the new stadium, with PSLs.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I gave up on the National Media about 6-7 years ago. Are you kidding me??

I never ever watch that s***

Reminds me of the high school cafeteria 

If the HS kids don't like our team than screw em.

The Wave GIF by GMFB

Edited by Bogie_Klinkhammer
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

I gave up on the National Media about 6-7 years ago.

The Wave GIF by GMFB

They don't offer much, but they do drive national narratives.  

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Thunderstruck said:

We love this team. We deserve better. What I would really love to know is whether this is a case of McDermott blindly continuing to support "his guy" or if McDermott, himself, is the one who is dictating the style of offense in an attempt to prop up his faltering (yes- also injury ravaged) defense.

THIS TIMES 1,000,000,000,000,000 to infinity and beyond.

• Like (+1) 1

Everyone here likes to dump on the national media, with some justification.  But, while national media types of course don’t follow the Bills as closely as we do, guys like Simms know a lot about football and have connections around the league who know even more, and Simms isn’t the only one who’s been saying it.  There has been a consensus developing for the last couple years that the Bills outside of Josh Allen just aren’t a very talented team.  People who have said that stuff here have been shouted down, but we’re starting to see that the national media weren’t wrong. It’s not one thing of course…it’s a roster with really only 2 elite players, combined with uninspired coaching, especially on offense, that has put us in a tough spot. It’s not magically going to come together over these next 8 games…big changes are needed.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The National Media just apes what comes from the fans first, and then the local media. Thing is, change doesn't happen until the nationals jump on the train. McDermott and Dorsey are now both on notice. If they don't turn ***** around, they may be gone after this year. 

For better or worse, this is the first time that possibility has felt real. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

I gave up on the National Media about 6-7 years ago.

The Wave GIF by GMFB

They aren't all like that. I would rather watch some of them over Sal and One Bills Live who feed the Bills propaganda.

I take it you didn't watch the video as they make many great points. This team lacks playmakers on offense. 

National media are more independent. National can be critical.

Locals are beholden to the team. Locals will lose player, team, advertising, access, (jobs) if they are critical. 

let’s face it, Bills have earned criticism 2023

Edited by Since1981
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

The National Media just apes what comes from the fans first, and then the local media. Thing is, change doesn't happen until the nationals jump on the train. McDermott and Dorsey are now both on notice. If they don't turn ***** around, they may be gone after this year. 

For better or worse, this is the first time that possibility has felt real. 

I'm not sure I agree here. This week we have now seen actual football guys (PFT, Cover 1, Dan Orlovsky on OBD despite Chris and Steve's attempt to explain around it, etc.) giving documented evidence of how inept the offense has been. These are guys that know a lot more about football than most fans do, so I don't see it as them merely "aping" what the fans are saying. They see what we see, and probably a lot more than most of us see. Something is drastically wrong here with the overall philosophy and play design, and it is directly resulting in enough losses to potentially keep the Bills out of the playoffs this year.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

We lashed out at the Nick Wrights and others for calling the Bills what they were...a team that just couldn't be relied upon to make good on the talent they have on their roster. They have been proven right IMO. 

13 seconds was the beginning of the end for this current iteration of the Buffalo Bills.

The only way Josh Alllen gets some more cracks at winning it all is with a completely revamped staff

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thunderstruck said:

I'm not sure I agree here. This week we have now seen actual football guys (PFT, Cover 1, Dan Orlovsky on OBD despite Chris and Steve's attempt to explain around it, etc.) giving documented evidence of how inept the offense has been. These are guys that know a lot more about football than most fans do, so I don't see it as them merely "aping" what the fans are saying. They see what we see, and probably a lot more than most of us see. Something is drastically wrong here with the overall philosophy and play design, and it is directly resulting in enough losses to potentially keep the Bills out of the playoffs this year.

Yes, those guys definitely go beyond the fans. Aping is the wrong thing to say. We the fans might know what we are seeing isn't right, but we don't know why the way they do. At least not most of us. Good post. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thunderstruck said:

I don't agree it's all on coaching and play design. As said in the video the Bills lack playmakers on offense. They have Diggs and Allen.  IMO the Bills focused too much on adding playmakers on defense when they should have done it on offense 

Well and fine that the national media is targeting the Bills, but they don't have "an axe to grind". That term doesn't mean what you think it does

#grammarpolice

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I don't agree it's all on coaching and play design. As said in the video the Bills lack playmakers on offense. They have Diggs and Allen.  IMO the Bills focused too much on adding playmakers on defense when they should have done it on offense 

They spent a pretty high pick on Kincaid. I think they expect he will be a very good playmaker, and he has shown signs that he will be just that. Having said that- I agree that they have spent A LOT of high picks on the defensive line, several of which have been washouts or have not lived up to their draft status. Our pass rush, despite all those picks, has generally not been adequate.

We passed on some great playmaking WRs in those draft spots, so I do agree with you in that regard.

3 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

That’s part of it, but the Bills have not added impact guys on defense either…they have had a lot of day 1 and 2 picks who have become average starters, and sometimes not even that, and they have whiffed on a lot of FA signings, as well. Just not good enough, even though, with Josh Allen, we’ve had a huge leg up on the competition.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Well and fine that the national media is targeting the Bills, but they don't have "an axe to grind". That term doesn't mean what you think it does

#grammarpolice

LOL I didn't say that they "have an axe to grind", my friend. I know exactly what that term means, and it is not the term that I used. I said that they are grinding their axes, meaning that they are sharpening their axes, meaning that they are suggesting that the head needs to be cut off of this abomination of an offense.

This was a pretty weak post, even for "grammar police" standards.

Edited by Thunderstruck
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

They spent a pretty high pick on Kincaid. I think they expect he will be a very good playmaker, and he has shown signs that he will be just that. Having said that- I agree that they have spent A LOT of high picks on the defensive line, several of which have been washouts or have not lived up to their draft status. Our pass rush, despite all those picks, has generally not been adequate.

We passed on some great playmaking WRs in those draft spots, so I do agree with you in that regard.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

That’s part of it, but the Bills have not added impact guys on defense either…they have had a lot of day 1 and 2 picks who have become average starters, and sometimes not even that, and they have whiffed on a lot of FA signings, as well. Just not good enough, even though, with Josh Allen, we’ve had a huge leg up on the competition.

From watching the video it feels like they are afraid to go all in like the Rams did. The season after the 13 second game was the year to go all in. Trade a bunch of picks for elite playmakers. Trade for Henry, sign Hopkins and try to win now. As the video says it feels like they are happy with getting to the division round each season. 

You look at teams like the Eagles this season, they see they have a good chance to win this season so they made moves to better their chances. 

• Agree 1

Starting?? They’ve been singing this song since February. With absolutely nothing to talk about. They constructed a ‘verdict’ that the Bills will decline and miss the playoffs. Check their records. It just sucks that the crippling early injuries are now turning them into loudmouth prophets.

I hate it and most of these doucheb** wannabe “journalists”. But it ain’t goin’ away. “I TOLD YOU SO!”

7 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

LOL I didn't say that they "have an axe to grind", my friend. I know exactly what that term means, and it is not the term that I used. I said that they are grinding their axes, meaning that they are sharpening their axes, meaning that they are suggesting that the head needs to be cut off of this abomination of an offense.

This was a pretty weak post, even for "grammar police" standards.

Don’t be too hard on him. He’s from Chicago ‘n all..

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

Starting?? They’ve been singing this song since February. With absolutely nothing to talk about. They constructed a ‘verdict’ that the Bills will decline and miss the playoffs. Check their records. It just sucks that the crippling early injuries are now turning them into loudmouth prophets.

I hate it and most of these doucheb** wannabe “journalists”. But it ain’t goin’ away. “I TOLD YOU SO!”

The early injuries have all been on the defensive side of the ball. Are you asserting that the offense is in a good place? Or that the defensive injuries are somehow responsible for the lackluster play on offense?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Some of you obviously didn't watch the video. They made some good points on what is plaguing the BIlls and it's not the crippling injuries. It's the offense with it's lack of playmakers. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, mannc said:

Drafting Allen was a risk Beane took that worked out perfectly.  Excluding that maneuvering to get Allen I'd argue the draft record of this regime is in the bottom 1/3 of the league.  Free agent signing have been more of a mixed bag.  And without Josh this is a .500 team at best.

If McDermott wants to "protect" his defense the best way to do it is to unleash the offense and give the defense a three-score lead with 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter.  Because if its close at the end they fold almost every time.  

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

What does this offense want to be that’s the problem. I think because McDermott doesn’t think his D can hold up over the course of the game he wants longer drives to protect it

Agree. And why we know his fav term “complementary football”. Problem is, ya gotta score!

McDummy doesn’t grasp it goes both ways. If your O scores fast and often the D benefits but maybe not statistically 

McD on D and complementary football is “get off my lawn”

Edited by Since1981
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

There are more than enough issues to implicate both.  

Time for a changing of the guard.  This stuff was predictable.  Anyone not seeing it coming wasn't paying much attention to it, understandably, yet nonetheless.  

Once McD is gone, it's likely that we'll start hearing about how difficult it was to work with him and how stubborn he was.  Just an educated guess there.  

At the end of the day, just as McD did with Peterman, he's also doing with Dorsey.  This time it seems to be the straw that broke the camel's back.  It's difficult to ignore and puts his incompetence on full display.  Dorsey is s fully his choice and he's standing by him.  

His own pressers and statements are merely him icing his own cake.  

McD is the head coach, and it's become clear to most now that he's reached his ceiling.  He was never a great DC to begin with.  Many have simply convinced themselves that he was.  

We see what he is as a HC.  

It's going to be interesting to see what happens, as Pegula has given both him and Beane, also inextricably a significant part of the problem, extensions for marketing purposes, specifically so that what's happening now wouldn't happen.  But it has.  So it will be interesting to see what happens now from that angle in the interest of selling crazy expensive STs to the new stadium, with PSLs.  

Just keep in mind that the Bills never replaced a coach with success (Saban, Knox, Levy) with one that did better, or even as good. It was always a step back. Often multiple steps.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Just keep in mind that the Bills never replaced a coach with success (Saban, Knox, Levy) with one that did better, or even as good. It was always a step back. Often multiple steps.

What we all wish for is a Super Bowl win.  We're not getting it like this.  

It's incredibly difficult to believe that many coaches couldn't be doing this, what we have now, with those roster.

Fear should never be what holds attempts to improve or correct back.  

What I personally "wish for" or would like to see, is Allen play as well as Allen can.  To date he's not done that.  McD was simply the wrong choice to get that out of him 

Granted, McD was hired before we drafted Allen, but that doesn't change the current circumstances. 

And at this point, hire a decent coach with a knowledge of offense.  If he doesn't get at least as much in two seasons from the offense, shitcan him and get another.  

Allen isn't a long-term project at this point.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That also goes for being satisfied making the playoffs each season. They mentioned in the video some teams are happy with being in contention year in year out. Where as the Rams went all in the one year to win but are paying for it now. I said before the season after the 13 second game was the season to go all in. Trade picks and pick up guys like Henry and Hopkins. 

• Agree 2

59 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Shady McCoy ALWAYS questions the talent level that Josh has on offense when defending him

Something is drastically wrong here with the overall philosophy and play design, and it is directly resulting in enough losses to potentially keep the Bills out of the playoffs this year.

Keep in mind that this is also the first season in four that the division's been as tough as it has.  Even NE at 2-7 is tougher than their record.  McD's had the good fortune over the past three seasons prior to this one, of having had a relatively easy division.  

Now that the pressure is on in that way he's crumbling.  

Even now, we've had the second easiest schedule in the league to date.  

They spent a pretty high pick on Kincaid. I think they expect he will be a very good playmaker, and he has shown signs that he will be just that.

Kincaid should be on pace for 1,000/10 right now on an offense with Allen at QB.  

The reason why he isn't is the topic du jour.  

Here’s the thing: The Bills are on the brink of this being a lost season. Let’s see if it looks like the coaching staff recognizes it and changes strategy (especially on offense) from this coming Monday night on. I highly doubt that they will. And if they don’t, it’s time to move on from McD. 

Terrible drafting, look as recent as 1st round pick Elam, terrible fa signing, bad cap management has to team maxed out on what Beane and McDermott envisioned, bad coaching.  No way this team should be missing the playoffs  with Josh Allen and playing the teams we have lost too.  To me it's clear it's the end of the rope for this regime unless you are happy being competitive every year but fail to even sniff the SB.  A change is needed if you truly want to win a SB.  If we continue with this regime, in which 0 coach and new qb has won the SB after 5 yeatlrs together, we will continue to see what we are watching, and possibly worse next year.  Take a look at the roster, cap, fa, old players we have, contracts we are simply screwed on that never should have been done to begin with, Knox, Miller etc.   We are set up for a worse year next year based off how our team has been constructed and the cap hell we been put in.  Talent is now leaving, because we can't afford to bring anyone in.  Next year us the perfect year to start fresh with a new regime and take your hits next year and let the new regime start construction of their vision.  It's very doubtful it will be worse than our Defensive led Bills plan currently 

Edited by Gunsgoodtime
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

What does this offense want to be that’s the problem. I think because McDermott doesn’t think his D can hold up over the course of the game he wants longer drives to protect it.

Whatever it is, McD is now on record several times having plainly stated that he doesn't know how to correct it.  That's stunning.  

As mentioned, making himself DC on top of being head coach paints all the picture we need.  He gave himself enough rope to hang himself, his unwavering support for Dorsey and the O like he did for Peterman, and we don't know the extent of his involvement in it but I it's likely high, have built the gallows.  

Pegula's hand is rapidly being forced.  

46 minutes ago, jaab1028 said:

I believe in keeping things simple,there is nothing creative about the Buffalo Bills Offense.Opposing defensive coordinators have basically figured out what three plays the Offense runs,period

The same goes for our D now too.  It even began before our excuse-generating injuries.  

New England, ... New England, picked us apart nearly as if Brady were the QB again.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Negan said:

The media can hopefully lead the charge to get McDermott fired, I pray 🙏!!

Well, what's obvious is that the situation isn't good for marketing pricey STs and PSLs.  Remember, Pegula gave McBeane extensions in order to avoid chaos and regression.  But now we have disarray, dysfunction, semi-chaos, regression in a major way, and a head coach that has openly expressed that he has no idea how to correct any of it.  And one that as with his solo stance of being the only one in the world that supported Peterman, is approaching a similar status re: Dorsey.  

What more really needs to be said at this point.  I mean if someone owned a business and the person in charge of an entire dept. openly said that, what would the responsible result be? 

This isn't difficult.  

Next man/coach up!!

If Allen were already here before they hired McD, I can't imagine McD even having made the short-list for consideration.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.