National media are starting to grind their collective axes

Thunderstruck

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I have a question. There seemed to be an increase in national media down on the Buffalo Bills prior to the season starting. Why? I can’t remember the reasons but there was a lot of talk. Was it just the Jets and Dolphins being good? Was it the drama with Diggs?

I think a lot of it had to do with Rodgers and the Jets

12 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

The national media are a bunch of goofballs. These are the same media who are shocked reporters are asking BB about his job security and if he is coaching for his job on Sunday. 

Ridiculous response.  They have it right, and not enough around here are saying what they really believe, especially the media closely associated with the Bills. Clearly.

If they were this would be done by now and the offense, and this team, would have a chance to rebound.  They'd have hope again.

But if I were a Pats fan I would want Dorsey to stay too.  Should we sign him to a long term deal right now, so someone else doesn't nab him as a head coach in the off-season?  (There has to be a desperate middle school team out there somewhere...)

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Agreed. Of all the national media, Simms and Florio are the best, in my opinion. They’re not the ESPN-type-blowhards. 

Love Florio’s comments pointing out that the Bills never push their chips in and go for it. They simply re-tool moderately every year and never go after elite guys to push us over the top. 

I get why they don’t. But I would be lying if I said I wouldn’t love them doing that.

I don't really get this.  Just because the Rams once upon a time mortgaged their future to win a super bowl doesn't mean it's the only, or even the preferred, way to do it.  Did the Chiefs ever "push their chips in and go for it"?   Did the Eagles?  The problem with the Bills isn't that they didn't "push their chips in"; it's that for four seasons they have failed to capitalize on having one of the three best quarterbacks in the league.  They didn't need to make any kind of huge, risky trade...all they needed to do was be competent and smart  

12 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

As the video says it feels like they are happy with getting to the division round each season. 

If the choice is between making the playoffs for 15 years in a row but no winning the SB and winning the SB once but missing the playoffs the other 14 seasons, I'll take the former. Look at the Jets: they have won one SB years ago, and nothing else. Who is the better team: us with no SB's or the Jets with one?

BTW, I found the tweets below, all from idiots. Championships do not define a franchise, but consistent winning does. Miami and the Jets below are not consistent winners.

Edited by chongli

39 minutes ago, mannc said:

I don't really get this.  Just because the Rams once upon a time mortgaged their future to win a super bowl doesn't mean it's the only, or even the preferred, way to do it.  Did the Chiefs ever "push their chips in and go for it"?   Did the Eagles?  The problem with the Bills isn't that they didn't "push their chips in"; it's that for four seasons they have failed to capitalize on having one of the three best quarterbacks in the league.  They didn't need to make any kind of huge, risky trade...all they needed to do was be competent and smart  

Sorry for the confusion, but I didn’t mean the Rams method, where they traded all their draft picks and mortgaged their future.

I mean strategic moves for proven players.

For example, rather than waiting until the off-season to sign Von Miller, make the deal to trade for Von Miller during the season, like it was rumored. I truly believe if we had Von Miller in 13 Seconds, we win. He would have been the difference in getting that 1 extra stop somewhere during the game, in my opinion.

Or trading for Roquan Smith last offseason, when we knew Edmunds would be hard to keep, and rumors were that we were interested. He is balling in playing like a top 10 LB in Baltimore now. Imagine a defense with Milano, Roquan and and Bernard? *Chills*. His contract at the time was very doable, though he has since gotten a big deal that we couldn’t afford.

Or even as simple as signing Hopkins. It would be great to have a sure handed receiver that can high-point the ball, and at least thus far he hasn’t been a basket case in Tennessee. There was also the CMC trade that has boosted SF’s offense.

It just seems like we are always talking to teams about proven players but it never comes to fruition. And I can fully respect why Beane doesn’t want to. He wants to be a good steward of his draft picks and the cap. 

But I would love to have made 1 or 2 of these moves.

Edited by Einstein

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Sorry for the confusion, but I didn’t mean the Rams method, where they traded all their draft picks and mortgaged their future.

I mean strategic moves for proven players.

For example, rather than waiting until the off-season to sign Von Miller, make the deal to trade for Von Miller during the season, like it was rumored. I truly believe if we had Von Miller in 13 Seconds, we win. He would have been the difference in getting that 1 extra stop somewhere during the game, in my opinion.

Or trading for Roquan Smith last offseason, when we knew Edmunds would be hard to keep, and rumors were that we were interested. He is balling in playing like a top 10 LB in Baltimore now. Imagine a defense with Milano, Roquan and and Bernard? *Chills*. His contract at the time was very doable, though he has since gotten a big deal that we couldn’t afford.

Or even as simple as signing Hopkins. It would be great to have a sure handed receiver that can high-point the ball. There was also the CMC trade that has boosted SF’s offense.

It just seems like we are always talking to teams about proven players but it never comes to fruition. And I can fully respect why Beane doesn’t want to. He wants to be a good steward of his draft picks and the cap. 

But I would love to have made 1 or 2 of these moves.

Ok, that makes more sense.  I wasn't in favor of signing Hopkins, for various reasons, but he seems to have plenty left in the tank...it would be nice to have him.  I actually like our mid-season deals this year... 

13 hours ago, PBF81 said:

What we all wish for is a Super Bowl win.  We're not getting it like this.  

It's incredibly difficult to believe that many coaches couldn't be doing this, what we have now, with those roster.

Fear should never be what holds attempts to improve or correct back.  

What I personally "wish for" or would like to see, is Allen play as well as Allen can.  To date he's not done that.  McD was simply the wrong choice to get that out of him 

Granted, McD was hired before we drafted Allen, but that doesn't change the current circumstances. 

And at this point, hire a decent coach with a knowledge of offense.  If he doesn't get at least as much in two seasons from the offense, shitcan him and get another.  

Allen isn't a long-term project at this point.  

13 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

That also goes for being satisfied making the playoffs each season. They mentioned in the video some teams are happy with being in contention year in year out. Where as the Rams went all in the one year to win but are paying for it now. I said before the season after the 13 second game was the season to go all in. Trade picks and pick up guys like Henry and Hopkins. 

I'm sure no one would mind a couple year playoff drought, that's if making the playoffs is so unbearable.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm sure no one would mind a couple year playoff drought, that's if making the playoffs is so unbearable.

If the choice were making the playoffs for 12 years straight, never advancing past the divisional round, and winning the division every one of those years, ... 

... or ... 

Winning a Super Bowl, not making the playoffs for five more seasons, and making them sporadically after that also never advancing past the divisional round, ... 

... I'd wager a guess that if you posted that poll, the vast majority would take the Lombardi and be content.  

Especially those of us that went through the '90s and the Kelly/Smith era.  

I don't hear anyone bragging that we went to four straight Super Bowls.  In fact, it's become a consolationi prize punchline anytime it comes up and people realize that we're Bills fans.  

Just sayin' 

We can't even improve from our best season in '21.  

34 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

If the choice were making the playoffs for 12 years straight, never advancing past the divisional round, and winning the division every one of those years, ... 

... or ... 

Winning a Super Bowl, not making the playoffs for five more seasons, and making them sporadically after that also never advancing past the divisional round, ... 

... I'd wager a guess that if you posted that poll, the vast majority would take the Lombardi and be content.  

Especially those of us that went through the '90s and the Kelly/Smith era.  

I don't hear anyone bragging that we went to four straight Super Bowls.  In fact, it's become a consolationi prize punchline anytime it comes up and people realize that we're Bills fans.  

Just sayin' 

We can't even improve from our best season in '21.  

LOL, no. You don't make deals with karma.

McDermott in a down year may get this beat up Bills team to the playoffs with street players on defense. There’s no way McDermott should be forced out as coach.  McDermott is 5-4 with a bottom ranked defense, a 2nd year OC, and a QB who leads the league in turnovers since entering. McDermott is a cool cat. We should appreciate what he has done for the franchise instead of dumping on him.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's not that making the playoffs is unbearable. My point is I agree with going to route the Rams did. Go all in by trading a bunch of picks to get elite playmakers on both sides of the ball. Yeah it's going to hurt a few years after but if it gets you a championship it's well worth it. 

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I have a question. There seemed to be an increase in national media down on the Buffalo Bills prior to the season starting. Why? I can’t remember the reasons but there was a lot of talk. Was it just the Jets and Dolphins being good? Was it the drama with Diggs?

Got embarrassed by Cincy in the playoffs. And up to this point in the season the media’s preseason pessimism has been justified. 

6 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Got embarrassed by Cincy in the playoffs. And up to this point in the season the media’s preseason pessimism has been justified. 

They get embarrassed by Cinci every time they step on the field with them. 3 games, 5 first quarter scoring drives that chewed up clock. Looked like it would have been 6 if the Damar incident never happened. ***** hard to watch, you think McD would have a better answer then just  trying to slow down his own offense. 

38 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

It's not that making the playoffs is unbearable. My point is I agree with going to route the Rams did. Go all in by trading a bunch of picks to get elite playmakers on both sides of the ball. Yeah it's going to hurt a few years after but if it gets you a championship it's well worth it. 

The Rams didn’t have a quarterback…they had limited options…teams with bona fide, top three franchise quarterbacks shouldn’t have to mortgage their future like that to make a Super Bowl run…they’ve already hit the lottery.

30 minutes ago, BananaB said:

They get embarrassed by Cinci every time they step on the field with them. 3 games, 5 first quarter scoring drives that chewed up clock. Looked like it would have been 6 if the Damar incident never happened. ***** hard to watch, you think McD would have a better answer then just  trying to slow down his own offense. 

You’re not wrong. I don’t buy the notion that some people think the Bills can get in the playoffs and beat anybody. They obviously can’t beat Cincy. They’re not even competitive games. Never even led in any of the matchups. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, 90sBills said:

You’re not wrong. I don’t buy the notion that some people think the Bills can get in the playoffs and beat anybody. They obviously can’t beat Cincy. They’re not even competitive games. Never even led in any of the matchups. 

Correct.  The current Bills team’s only chance to make the Super Bowl is if the Ravens or some other playoff team knocks off Cinci in a wildcard or divisional game.  The Bengals would beat this Bills team 10 times out of 10, even with Taylor’s bad game-day decisions.

• Agree 2

This was on ESPN. it's been echoed across multiple sources. Why is it the Bills need to get their running game going? Why is it that the Chiefs do not get this? What about the Bengals, who are last in the league on total rushing yards? 5th to last in YPC? The Cowboys can't run for anything.

image.thumb.png.8362e382c7ad2398e52dea516bd04a87.png

On 11/8/2023 at 5:10 AM, Thunderstruck said:

The same post-game clichés aren't going to cut it anymore. There haven't been any answers coming from this coaching staff, and the people who know football are taking notice and calling this absurdity out. The definition of "insanity", many have said, is doing the same things over and over and expecting different results.

We love this team. We deserve better. What I would really love to know is whether this is a case of McDermott blindly continuing to support "his guy" or if McDermott, himself, is the one who is dictating the style of offense in an attempt to prop up his faltering (yes- also injury ravaged) defense.

Florio is a hack. Dude doesn’t know a thing about football. How this guy has been successful of of his click baity nfl rumor mill website blows my mind.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, mannc said:

The Rams didn’t have a quarterback…they had limited options…teams with bona fide, top three franchise quarterbacks shouldn’t have to mortgage their future like that to make a Super Bowl run…they’ve already hit the lottery.

I disagree. Sure they upgraded their QB but they also added a lot more playmakers to win the Superbowl.  

9 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Florio is a hack. Dude doesn’t know a thing about football. How this guy has been successful of of his click baity nfl rumor mill website blows my mind.

I thought he made some good points in this video. 

21 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Are some of you these sensitive in your daily lives? Because that would be absolutely exhausting. I’d argue no team except maybe the Chiefs have been so positively talked in the media than the Bills. We were like media darlings for the last 5 years. There are been so many positive things write/ said about the Bills and Buffalo, more than I can ever remember.

they are supposed to be SB contenders and have look very mid this year. Are they just supposed to say they are awesome? Personally, I think media is kinda of a joke job anyways but to get mad at them for saying the truth after years of kissing our butts is wild. 

but since we only have like 8 prime time games, it’s clear the media has it out for us!

You can’t blame the media for realizing McD ain’t the guy to take us to the next level . McD has hit his ceiling as the Bills coach and now it’s time for him to move on at the end of the year . Hopefully Pegs realizes this before McBeane can inflict any more damage to our future by constant kicking the can down the corner for mid level guys that don’t get the job done. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

Nothing is guaranteed. The fact the Rams won doing what they did doesn't make it a road map to a Lombardi. There are a million factors you can't control at play.

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Now you're off on a tangent.  

😉

Am I? I'm not the one who thinks there's a secret formula to win a title.

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Nothing is guaranteed. The fact the Rams won doing what they did doesn't make it a road map to a Lombardi. There are a million factors you can't control at play.

The way the Bills are doing isn't working either. IMO the 13 second game was their peak. It's been downhill since

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

The way the Bills are doing isn't working either. IMO the 13 second game was their peak. It's been downhill since

Agreed.  Winning a super bowl is hard and requires some luck, but you gotta seize the opportunity when presented.  Not sure we’ll ever get a better opportunity than 2 years ago and Mcdermott choked.  

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Probably true. 

If that's the case the season after they should have loaded up the offense and went all in. Yeah it would mean a few down seasons of missing the playoffs. I would take that over what's happening now. 

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, BananaB said:

Moving forward you have aging players on D and younger ones that they can’t get consistent play out of so what’s gonna happen? More picks for D and more money spent in FA.  Without Allen this team would be on the verge of tanking and completely rebuilding

In a QB driven league, it's amazing how you guys come up with this and treat it like an indictment on the GM. IMO, it's a BS line. KC without Mahomes, Ravens without Jackson, Cincy without Burrough or even with a limping Burrough, Philly without Hurts, NE without Brady, Miami without Tua. I could go on. We could be SF and have no QB, but that franchise is treated the golden standard here. 17 points scored in each of the last 3 games. 

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They got embarrassed by KC in 2020.

That was a different scenario. That Bills team overachieved all the way to the AFCCG.

Last season the national media penciled them in the Superbowl before the season even started. Then they blew out the Rams in that season opener and the media was over the moon declaring the Bills as the best team hands down. The gradual declined after the GB game that culminated into the embarrassment that was the Cincy divisional game just soured the Bills view by that the national media. That led to my original point of the media being down on the Bills before this season started. And so far the Bills have made some media members look like Nostradamus. 

10 hours ago, mannc said:

Correct.  The current Bills team’s only chance to make the Super Bowl is if the Ravens or some other playoff team knocks off Cinci in a wildcard or divisional game.  The Bengals would beat this Bills team 10 times out of 10, even with Taylor’s bad game-day decisions.

I don't know if I would go that far. As bad as it looked at times, if not for the Kincaid fumble I believe we would have punched it in the endzone there and gotten back within one score with plenty of time remaining. It took us way too long but I think our offense figured it out in the 4th quarter. The next time we play them I hope we stick with what was working.

9 hours ago, boyst said:

This was on ESPN. it's been echoed across multiple sources. Why is it the Bills need to get their running game going? Why is it that the Chiefs do not get this? What about the Bengals, who are last in the league on total rushing yards? 5th to last in YPC? The Cowboys can't run for anything.

image.thumb.png.8362e382c7ad2398e52dea516bd04a87.png

It's a fair point. The difference is those other teams you mentioned have good to great defenses. We have one of the worst defenses in the league so our offense is being pressed into shootouts. So that reality means every piece of the offense is going to be scrutinized.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.